• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil's Third Retail Build Single Player Impressions

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
So basically NOA chose not to publish a terrible game (that rumours had stated was terrible)....got a backlash from gamers for not wanting to publish the terrible game...

...and now they'll be slated for publishing a terrible game which they didn't want to publish.
Almost, yeah.

Doesnt this make Team Ninja a lot more favourable now? I think it is silly to blame this disaster on budget all the way. I just think Itagaki got too ambitious with his genre mix and didnt really manage to do it well.

Graphics look ok to me but the melee looks incredible repetitive. Almost zombiu like.

Still don't get the amount of attention this game produces.

storafötter;171938338 said:
Doesnt this make Team Ninja a lot more favourable? I think it is silly to blame this disaster on budget all the way. I just think Itagaki got too ambitious with his genre mix and didnt really manage to do it well.

I've heard that they kept adding shit to the game's single player long after it was content-locked, making bug-fixing almost impossible.

It seems like there was just no one telling Itagaki "No, you have to stop."

KingBroly

Banned
Doesnt this make Team Ninja a lot more favourable now? I think it is silly to blame this disaster on budget all the way. I just think Itagaki got too ambitious with his genre mix and didnt really manage to do it well.

Ninja Gaiden 3 was an awful, shitty game that Team Ninja had to change into a slightly less shitty game, so no.

So... are we talking about a misunderstood bad like "God Hand" or bad as in "Ride to Hell" ?

tumblr_nqvpnva3xu1rx9idxo1_400.gif

benzy

The game didn't really interest me even when they first unveiled it. I was wondering how Itagaki would take on a brand new genre for him, create it without Tecmo's funds, and yet have it be a much bigger game than his previous endeavors with a full multiplayer and single player campaign larger than Ninja Gaiden. He's a gambling man and made the wrong bet with this one. It really does look like Devil's Turd. :(

Felensis

Banned

Nintendolife said it fps are bad in general and even more with explosions etc. Based what I can see in this video fps seems stable and fluid to me.
What bothers me is the stupid AI and the weak graphics, but with the latter I don't have a problem. I'm mainly playing 3DS/Wii U and therefore I'm used to graphics not state-of-the-art. Gameplay still looks solid 80s-dumbass-dudebro to me and therefore still could be fun.

catmario

Whoa... I didn't expect that Devil's third receive bad reputations on previews like this. Well... I wouldn't buy at Day 1 and I'll see full reviews.

If Devil's third receives terrible or awful reviews, then my money will go to Star Fox. :p

Xater

Ninja Gaiden 3 was an awful, shitty game that Team Ninja had to change into a slightly less shitty game, so no.

I'd wager this will end up with a worse Metacritic score than vanilla NG3.

There is a character who has a disease that does not let her physically age past 15.

She is the love interest.

That is the most tame thing I can say.

Oh dear. How can anyone write this and think it's a great idea? No how can this get approved by others?

So basically NOA chose not to publish a terrible game (that rumours had stated was terrible)....got a backlash from gamers for not wanting to publish the terrible game...

...and now they'll be slated for publishing a terrible game which they didn't want to publish... if they publish it.

To be fair, I don't think anyone really expected it to be this bad. I expected it would be a 5 or 6 out of 10, but from the sounds of these previews it's going to be lucky to be limping in with scores of 3.

Let's see if this is worse than Ninja Gaiden 3.

online multiplayer was always a mistake, most action games shouldn't even bother with it and should just further polish their SP campaigns/gameplay (Vanquish for one being a pretty great example).

They had some pretty big cojones to make multiplayer such a big focus for a niche game for a niche console. Somebody had to notice somewhere down the line (early 2014 at least) that pouring resources into even a best case scenario of a small and active community was going to be a losing bet.

Mdk7

I have finished the game, and will have a review up for embargo. Not doing a preview, but it I will say that it is terrible. There's nothing redeeming about it at all; none of the grace and fluidity in the combat we've seen in NG. The gunplay is terrible. The bosses are cheap and uniformly awful.

It is a bad, bad game.

I agree. And actually, i was about to do the same as you (in terms of skipping the preview) as my hands on eventually could only be really, really negative and almost already sounding like a verdict.
But i decided to write it anyway, as things are pretty weird with this game.

I absolutely respect your opinion, and it's also validated from many others. but I still confirm that I really enjoyed the 8/9 hours long single player campaing, I've noticed a bad framerate only in loading new areas and never during combat section, I appreciated the difficulty level don't finding it frustrating (nor even the "one lethla move" of the bosses), I loved Ivan as a character.

Yes, visually the game has some horrible part, as you mention, early-Xbox360-like level of quality.

This.

There is way too much internet hate about Devil's Third right know. I understand it's easy to be suspicious about the game after NoA's treatment. It doesn't help that the game doesn't look good and it's easy to jump on the "devil's turd" bandwagon right now.

But the game isn't that terrible. It isn't a masterpiece or particularly good game either. Many of its issues come from the troubled development and the ill decision to make it a weird first/third person shooter/hack and slash hybrid. even with its issues you can clearly see that there is some kind of crfatmanship involved. The developers know what makes a game engaging and challenging.

I bet most previewers/reviewers who are shitting on the game right now did not play DT "the right way". If you play like a straight TPS or a straight Hack n Slash you won't like it. But it's like if you try to play Vanquish like Gears of War. If you try to experiment with the combact system and mix and mash melee and shooting combact the game can be quite fun.

it's not a masterpiece, but i can see it becoming a cult classic some time from now. It has that "so bad its good" attitude.

There is also the multiplayer which no one has had the chance to play yet. That could be another entire hystory

the graphics are quite bad though.

Sify64

Is there any impressions on the multiplayer portion yet?
It's the only part of the game that looked fun to me.

To be fair, I don't think anyone really expected it to be this bad. I expected it would be a 5 or 6 out of 10, but from the sounds of these previews it's going to be lucky to be limping in with scores of 3.

Let's see if this is worse than Ninja Gaiden 3.

I bet it is! Ninja Gaiden is probably easier to use as a template to make somehow a fun game than starting from scratch. I give Itagaki that much.

The game didn't really interest me even when they first unveiled it. I was wondering how Itagaki would take on a brand new genre for him, create it without Tecmo's funds, and yet have it be a much bigger game than his previous endeavors with a full multiplayer and single player campaign larger than Ninja Gaiden. He's a gambling man and made the wrong bet with this one. It really does look like Devil's Turd. :(

I was optimistic since everyone on GAF worshipped Itagaki as a god. Ninja Gaiden is almost pure perfection, but it is disapointing to see how much of a turd this turned into. It is a shame that previous masters at action games are past their prime at this time.

sackninja

This.

There is way too much internet hate about Devil's Third right know. I understand it's easy to be suspicious about the game after NoA's treatment. It doesn't help that the game doesn't look good and it's easy to jump on the "devil's turd" bandwagon right now.

But the game isn't that terrible. It isn't a masterpiece or particularly good game either. Many of its issues come from the troubled development and the ill decision to make it a weird first/third person shooter/hack and slash hybrid. even with its issues you can clearly see that there is some kind of crfatmanship involved. The developers know what makes a game engaging and challenging.

I bet most previewers/reviewers who are shitting on the game right now did not play DT "the right way". If you play like a straight TPS or a straight Hack n Slash you won't like it. But it's like if you try to play Vanquish like Gears of War. If you try to experiment with the combact system and mix and mash melee and shooting combact the game can be quite fun.

it's not a masterpiece, but i can see it becoming a cult classic some time from now. It has that "so bad its good" attitude.

There is also the multiplayer which no one has had the chance to play yet. That could be another entire hystory

But there shouldn't only be one fun way to play a game that you can play in multiple different ways. The game should be good no matter what way you choose to play it.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Clearly Itagaki didn't have access to the original engineering team he worked with at Tecmo, but in a case like this, I feel simply iterating on the technical work from Ninja Gaiden would have helped a lot. UE3 is a bad choice for Wii U and Japanese development studios don't have a great rep for using it well.

The original Ninja Gaiden at higher resolutions is more visually appealing than this.

For some reason, though, I still love playing these weird low tier games. It has me very curious.

I agree. Melee combact is much more solid than the gunplay and feels like a Ninja Gaiden Lite. This could have been a much better game if they decided to stick with the Ninja Gaiden template.

but i'm actually happy that this exist as it is. It's weird, hilarious and bad in the "so bad its good" way. it was an interesting experience

Mdk7

This.

Hmm... Everyone can have his own opinions of course, and i do genuinely respect yours... but just no.
It's not that if i say the game is bad, then i'm certainly a n00b who doesn't even know how to play it properly, frankly that's a bit unfair (and cheap) to say.

I honestly can't see this game making the full circle and becoming a cult classic à la Earth Defense Force (seriously, not at all... EDF is crazy fun!), but we'll se. ;)

Tony91

Clearly Itagaki didn't have access to the original engineering team he worked with at Tecmo, but in a case like this, I feel simply iterating on the technical work from Ninja Gaiden would have helped a lot. UE3 is a bad choice for Wii U and Japanese development studios don't have a great rep for using it well.

The original Ninja Gaiden at higher resolutions is more visually appealing than this.

For some reason, though, I still love playing these weird low tier games. It has me very curious.

That makes two of us and, strangely, I like unpolished things a lot. They just feel rusty but have a different sense of appeal, there's something charming in them, and in Devil's Third aswell.

As others, I've already had the chance to play the game and finish the main campaing, can't really say it got me, could've barely played for 1 hour straight before dropping down the gamepad and shutting down the Wii U, but I've been kinda enjoying it 'till the last bit of it. The Game Mechanics are bad-bad, but once you get used to it they're just as good as anything else, except for the excessive clunkiness of melee combat.

Not a revolutionary game, not even good at what it does/tries to do, but I won't judge until it gets closer to release (patches, anyone?) or I've had the chance to test the multiplayer mode, as it seems the game particularly focuses on that part.

Top Bottom