• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil's Third Retail Build Single Player Impressions

@MUWANdo

Banned
Clearly Itagaki didn't have access to the original engineering team he worked with at Tecmo, but in a case like this, I feel simply iterating on the technical work from Ninja Gaiden would have helped a lot. UE3 is a bad choice for Wii U and Japanese development studios don't have a great rep for using it well.

From what I understand, the switch to UE3 happened soon before the Nintendo E3 reveal. It was running on Vigil's Darksiders tech before that, AFAIK.

It's sad that nothing of this is in the final product. Conceptually this version looked a lot more interesting.

It really does. I'm not very clued up though, but why would they change the lead character (If that was the lead character) He looked much more interesting than this new one who looks like he belongs in the first Blade movie.

@MUWANdo

Banned
It really does. I'm not very clued up though, but why would they change the lead character (If that was the lead character) He looked much more interesting than this new one who looks like he belongs in the first Blade movie.

Nintendo gave him free reign to do what he truly wanted to do, basically.

Haunted

looks like poop

There is a character who has a disease that does not let her physically age past 15.

She is the love interest.

That is the most tame thing I can say.
ayy

Shame the art style is so western or we would have had the pleasure of watching the usual pedo waifu apologists trip over themselves defending that.

Kanhir

I guess this explains why it's only in English and French. No point putting translation effort into a game that's going to be a writeoff from the start.

benzy

From what I understand, the switch to UE3 happened soon before the Nintendo E3 reveal. It was running on Vigil's Darksiders tech before that, AFAIK.

Completely forgot they had to switch engines 3 times now. First originally on their own tech before getting picked up by THQ, then changed to the Warhammer engine, and then to UE3.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Nintendo giving people free reign seems to have a history of not working out.

The tl;dr is that Nintendo saw promise in what was already made and had faith that between the two of them they'd be able to turn it into something worth getting excited about, but with the Wii U selling like it is, they couldn't just keep working on it on the down-low like they might otherwise do with projects that aren't up to scratch, but they also didn't have the option of shelving it for good, so they're releasing it with as little fanfare as possible.

The game does look kinda bad, but at least it doesn't look like it's broken. There's probably some fun to be had in there. Some parts (looking at Nintendaan's fotoage) even look pretty good!

The multiplayer seemed to be the most appealing anyway. Wonder how that will turn out.

Has to be it. Strange gamers still don't realise he was always saved by a great team. Other than his love for boobs and booze (which i can respect) he never was a great creator to me.

This is why NG3 was such a great game and showed that Itakagi didn't really have much to do with the earlier games.

My guess what happened is:

As THQ was folding, Itagaki reached out to Danny Bilson and asked if he knew a publisher that would take on the project. They tried the console manufacturers, but Nintendo was the most eager to get on Itagaki's good side. Bilson and Itagaki made a lot of promises about milestones and Nintendo got on board, but Valhalla ended up not meeting the milestones and the game clearly suffered for it. Now Nintendo's left with a bad game, Valhalla knows their reputation is tarnished and are retreating to mobile, and the investment in Itagaki isn't going to pay off at all.

KingBroly

Banned
The tl;dr is that Nintendo saw promise in what was already made and had faith that between the two of them they'd be able to turn it into something worth getting excited about, but with the Wii U selling like it is, they couldn't just keep working on it on the down-low like they might otherwise do with projects that aren't up to scratch, but they also didn't have the option of shelving it for good, so they're releasing it with as little fanfare as possible.

I would've hated to see what this game played like a year ago.

Cronox

Banned
Disappointed to watch some of the preview videos. The game looks like one of those PS2/Xbox games ported to 360 in the 360's launch days. But the gameplay doesn't look all that compelling. There's the spark of a good idea in this, the original trailer back when the game was announced is proof enough of that, but it seems the execution is just off. It's sad to see a game that took so long to come out look rushed and unfinished like this. I don't know how, but I really hope Itagaki can get a good budget and team around him again to make the sorts of games he's been successful with in the past. Or anything really, as long as it's good... Sometimes devs get stuck in a project that just drags and never fulfills its potential, I believe Itagaki can make great games still. Too bad this doesn't look like one of them.

Mr. Tibbs

As THQ was folding, Itagaki reached out to Danny Bilson and asked if he knew a publisher that would take on the project. They tried the console manufacturers, but Nintendo was the most eager to get on Itagaki's good side. Bilson and Itagaki made a lot of promises about milestones and Nintendo got on board, but Valhalla ended up not meeting the milestones and the game clearly suffered for it. Now Nintendo's left with a bad game, Valhalla knows their reputation is tarnished and are retreating to mobile, and the investment in Itagaki isn't going to pay off at all.

At this point, there's zero chance the game will be a success. It's been in development since 2009, is on a single platform and is unlikely to review well.

Here's an Itagaki interview.

On saving the game from being canned:

“I didn’t want to betray fans. I didn’t want people to throw away their anticipation. The game is a grand sum of the work from all of the developers, so I really hope you pick it up. I think the game will become a breakthrough in the industry and take shooters to the next level.”
:(

Does Itagaki have any connections left with Microsoft? By all accounts his career is pretty much over once this game comes out.

Lingitiz

If it did play out like this that's a damn shame. The talk on the Nintendo production side last year sounded really optimistic and promising, IF things went as planned.

Does Itagaki have any connections left with Microsoft? By all accounts his career is pretty much over once this game comes out.

If he did, he doesn't anymore. I mean, MS apparently passed on this when it was being shopped around, they saw what some people still refuse to believe... It's garbage.

He should have stuck to making single player games inspired by Ninja Gaiden.

He should have stuck to making single player games inspired by Ninja Gaiden.

The irony is he (probably jokingly) gave Kamiya shit about making Bayonetta after leaving Capcom.

http://www.destructoid.com/itagaki-trash-talks-bayonetta-because-he-s-out-of-his-mind-135356.phtml

"If I made a similar game as a game I made in the company I quit, people would say, 'What an idiot, can't he make anything else?' Well, that is more or less the opinion I have for, uh, that Bayo-something game," says Itagaki in a recent interview. "... Covered in hair, is she? I dunno, Mr. Kamiya must have a lot going through his head. Well, in any case, I would first recommend laser eye surgery. I'm sure he's not that strapped for cash, right?"

Mdk7

I guess, but it looks so different. What I understood from that trailer and the logo was that the game had a big parkour focus, but now the movement looks slow and clunky.

Yes, that is my biggest regret TBH.
In the original version there was a lot of emphasis on movement, on rhythm, and on the brutal action.
In the game we've got, it's a whole different story.

Chaos17

The belief in Nintendo.

Nintendo has nothing to do with it.
Fans of the dev who were just overhyped.

But clearly it seems the budget of the game has been cut at some point since it can't reach Sleeping Dog level graphics at least.

Geist aside, Nintendo is usually pretty stringent about maintaining some level of quality but I guess being Tomunobu Itagaki gave him some leeway. Everything probably looked ace from vertical slice (or whatever milestone build was used to pitch and sell Nintendo on publishing) up until beta but then the polish just never happened. You can just imagine some Nintendo attached producer slowly getting more and more freaked out by the bug count increasing as the gold master candidate submission day approached.

"Hey guys, soooo, what the fuck?"

What's weird is NLC and NoE decided to publish it at all if it's as bad as everyone is making it out to be. Nintendo would probably be better if they flat-out cancelled the game and wrote it off. A few grumbling fans with fever dreams of the Itagaki masterpiece that never was is less of a hit than publishing their worst game to date to appease tens of fans.

Xater

Geist aside, Nintendo is usually pretty stringent about maintaining some level of quality but I guess being Tomunobu Itagaki gave him some leeway. Everything probably looked ace from vertical slice (or whatever milestone build was used to pitch and sell Nintendo on publishing) up until beta but then the polish just never happened. You can just imagine some Nintendo attached producer slowly getting more and more freaked out by the bug count increasing as the gold master candidate submission day approached.

"Hey guys, soooo, what the fuck?"

What's weird is NLC and NoE decided to publish it at all if it's as bad as everyone is making it out to be. Nintendo would probably be better if they flat-out cancelled the game and wrote it off. A few grumbling fans with fever dreams of the Itagaki masterpiece that never was is less of a hit than publishing their worst game to date to appease tens of fans.

Nintendo Japan is only putting it out through Amazon. That is not a vote of confidence.

Lutherian

NotLiquid

I need to be fully up front here. The first six minutes of this actually looks decent. The combat seems like it has a bit of novelty in terms of brutality and when set against a less demanding backdrop the game play looks decent.

But it really highlights how much of a shit team Devil's Third received. The opening part, while interesting enough, is eventually bogged down by such jank. It really started becoming clear after early on an enemy clipped through the waterfall.

And the second part... lord almighty. Terrible graphics work, braindead AI, text book chest-high walls, it's absolutely painful to look at. Suddenly none of that early promise amounts to everything and it drops down into monotony. It's like Itagaki saw screenshots of any third person shooter game and asked his team to replicate game play only based on that.

What the hell happened at Valhalla? I can't see how there would be any fan outcry loud enough to make NoA reconsider choosing to find a puppet publisher instead. It looks like an abysmal trainwreck of wasted promise.

Mr. Tibbs

Lame!

As far as the presentation of the game is concerned, Devil's Third is a sad state of affairs. While it does offer off-TV play on the GamePad, the controller just offers an empty black screen when playing on the TV. Most of the environments are really drab looking with only one major exception. The Japanese-inspired town featured bright lighting, moody squares, and dark pathways. I would go as far as saying that this was my favorite part of the entire game. Sadly, even at those moments, Devil’s Third wasn’t free of screen tearing and dropping frame rates. Bodies and dropped weapons floated above the floor a few times and enemies were in rare instances glitchy.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/preview/40748/devils-third-wii-u-hands-on-preview

Devil's Turd.

b9aScKLxdv0Y0.gif

Top Bottom