• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Half Life 3 still not in full development

Hip Hop

I hope Half Life 3 comes with a meaty online multiplayer aspect. Would love it if it got the same treatments as Dota, CSGO, TF2.

If not, then I wouldn't be as interested on it.

Omega

Banned
Mass Effect 3 was a clusterfuck that will probably never be seen again

But let's pretend like that's the only trilogy that has ever existed.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Valve no longer has artists. Only employees.

snooty.gif

Renekton

5. mass effect 3 backlash influenced them. devs saw how passionate fans turned on the game and didnt want that to happen to the company's banner franchise
Sounds about right.

Fans can really turn on a dev.

ChaosXVI

Whether or not this specific rumor is a reliable source doesn't matter...I really don't expect Half-Life 3 to ever get made at this point. It's simply been too long, and unlike other games like Shenmue 3, this isn't the result of a massive bomb...it sold very well back then, probably would have continued to do so...but if the people who own it don't want to make it, it's never coming...

Oh well...maybe someday Valve will throw us a bone and let another team make it.

It's kind of sad that I actually see this as an improvement.

I thought the game was completely dead. Better to be in development in a minor fashion than not at all I guess.

I honestly want a L4D3 more than HL3 at this point anyway.

x3sphere

Doesn't surprise me. Valve isn't financially pressured at all to release it, and while it would certainly make a lot of money it could potentially hurt their reputation if it ended up being a flop given the insane expectations. I can only imagine the ridiculous backlash if it didn't live up to expectations. As much as I hate to say it, it may be safer for them to avoid it at this point.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I love how they completely ignore The Witcher 3 and Metal Gear Solid.

I love how you changed Arkham Knight for MGS. I wasn't really happy with AK. MGS is a better example.

But anyway, people only focus on the negative.

wipeout364

When they hired Clint Hocking a few years back I thought they were going to ramp up production on half life, but then he left shortly there after. I always wondered if he got there and the place was a mess. I mean that nothing is getting done except small projects and I winder if they no longer have the ability to pull off something like Half life in 2015. It seems like all they do is micro transaction stuff. Except Portal everything has just been micro transactions and copying templates other developers already did : Team Fortress, Left for dead 2, counter strike Go, DOTA.

They are building steam OS but they have been too slow they needed to strike when windows 8 hate was at its max. Windows 10 will turn that around likely and gamers are starting to think of valve like apple, microsoft and sony and I believe the micro transaction fetish they have is the cause people no longer feel valve has their back. Just my opinion and I considered myself a big valve fan a few years ago.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
honestly it should be obvious to anyone who's followed valve at all recently that this is the case

B33

Banned
LEFT 4 DEAD 3 will likely be Valve's next game. The company's personnel are spread throughout a panoply of projects and have no pressure except from the avid community to release HALF-LIFE 3.

Apparently Valve employees are completely free to choose to work on whatever project they want, yet only 10 out of 350 employees want to work on Half-Life 3?

I know if I was hired by Valve I would be excited to help make HL3 and wouldn't choose to make Dota 2 updates instead.

A Valve employee's salary is based on coworker evaluations and releasing products boasts bonuses for the participatory staff. There's little reward in chipping away on a project that has an enormous amount of pressure attached to it.

There's far more satisfaction in working on a game such as DOTA 2 because of the "instant" gratification and tangible incentives.

Valve don't do exclusives. It's pretty much against their philosophy at this point. The only time a game is "exclusive" is due to an organic reason such as the game not being possible else where due to services / features / peripherals etc
In other words... they do do exclusives.

In any case, if they need market share for SteamOS and/or VR, it would make sense roll out Half Life 3 as an exclusive. If they don't, it (probably) doesn't make much business sense to do it at all.

bigjig

While it probably wouldn't make them the same amount of money as Dota 2, Half Life 3 would be the perfect way to push their VR headset. I still hold out hope.

5. mass effect 3 backlash influenced them. devs saw how passionate fans turned on the game and didnt want that to happen to the company's banner franchise
6. game culture has changed since 2004 ("sadly, most people are shitheads" - anonymous source at valve)

From this i can only take that Valve was planning to do some non-fanbase-friendly changes
on the game(casualization,multiplayer focus,f2p,microtransactions,etc...) 'cause otherwise why would people get mad with them making a game people actually want them to make?

Johndoey

Banned
Whats the incentive for making Half Life 3? There is more chance of them fucking it up and and pissing people off then living up to years of expectations.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
When they hired Clint Hocking a few years back I thought they were going to ramp up production on half life, but then he left shortly there after. I always wondered if he got there and the place was a mess. I mean that nothing is getting done except small projects and I winder if they no longer have the ability to pull off something like Half life in 2015. It seems like all they do is micro transaction stuff. Except Portal everything has just been micro transactions and copying templates other developers already did : Team Fortress, Left for dead 2, counter strike Go, DOTA.

The way they organize their staff has been proved to not be efficient and well, when people have the opportunity to choose what they work on, they'll go for the one with the least resistance. And also, when your salary is determined by peer review and whether or not what you do is viable also impacts how much money you'll do, you probably wouldn't select Half Life 3, a project that is unlikely to come out any time soon, as your main project, right?

The problem is that is virtually impossible for this to change in Valve, which will leave them in that perpetual problem, which they seem to be happy in. I mean Gabe has always said that they make more money per employee than Apple and Google (or something along those lines), so I doubt they'll fix what isn't broken for them.

EDIT: Ha, B33 said it better than I did.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I know if I was hired by Valve I would be excited to help make HL3 and wouldn't choose to make Dota 2 updates instead.

apparently they aren't making dota 2 updates either. there's ostensibly like 5 people still working on dota 2.

x3sphere

HL3 as a VR driver could make a lot of sense although I wouldn't expect it anytime soon. VR is still out of reach for many considering the kind of PC you need for it. It would make sense when VR entry is more affordable, though.

Renekton

As for the bolded, I'm pretty sure fucking up half life 3 would have worse consequences than angering dota fans for a few days
It doesn't even need to be a fuckup.

Just a minor miscomm or design niggle (e.g. Freeman gets a diff beard) will get amplified to biblical proportions.

SZips

Really, The Know? This is considered worthy of submitting publicly?

There's nothing even remotely "rumor"-ish about this. It's not news and it's not shocking.

From this i can only take that Valve was planning to do some non-fanbase-friendly changes
on the game(casualization,multiplayer focus,f2p,microtransactions,etc...) 'cause otherwise why would people get mad with them making a game people actually want them to make?

I wouldn't be surprised that the Portal 2 Coop cosmetic DLC was a test for Half-Life3, I doubt anyone bought it except whales since a tiny pixel flag is not worth $2.50

Said it before but man, Valve really disgusts me on this subject.

I feel, as a former Valve superfan, that by not bothering to finish a story they left us on a cliffhanger with, they have zero respect for us.

In turn, I have no respect for Valve.

I do think Steam and some of their other products are impressive but I have no direct affection for a company that I once adored.

It's been so long I can say I am no longer surprised. On the other hand I just don't understand Valve's perceived indifference to the franchise. Which is unfortunate, right now I'm slowly going through Black Mesa and really liking it, my hopes of a HL3 are coming back as a consequence.

Have terrorists replaced space aliens as the video game enemy du jour? Boring if so...

gblues

Banned
Marauder Shields confirmed to be a Half Life fan. He was trying to turn us back so we could get HL3 and avoid a shitty ending, but we shot him in the face and now we're fucked.

I would prefer Valve making Half-Life 3 a higher priority compared to F2P games, but I understand their decision. It makes sense for them financially.

BashNasty

This rumor could have some substance, but I still honestly believe that Half-Life 3 is going to be coming out in 2015.

Hell, this could be the start of the crazy ARG that you just know is going to herald the arrival.

I'm not sure why you'd save HL3 until the hypothetical point where you are desperate for cash. That sounds like a way to produce a horrible video game as opposed to releasing it when you are making a lot of money and everyone is happy.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
This rumor could have some substance, but I still honestly believe that Half-Life 3 is going to be coming out in 2015.

Hell, this could be the start of the crazy ARG that you just know is going to herald the arrival.

And then there are those who are too far gone...

Komo

Banned
They're all about the money now, which is the route most if not all companies go

Can't say I didn't expect it. Not too bothered myself though. The hype behind Half-Life was always baffling to me

well, i guess it would be nice but i honestly feel like i've moved on.

It's all of our collective faults for paying for all these damn skins and cases.

That said I don't really understand why they're content to sit on DOTA, TF2, and CSGO?

releasing the next generation engine with a must have game to demonstrate it like HL3 helps the next generation of moneymakers come along.

As popular as they are DOTA2, TF2, and CSGO won't last forever. The virtual item economy is very fragile and if everyone just decides to stop paying for shiny knives as it's not that important it can disappear very quickly.

Having quality content instead of just desirable status symbol items for sale is important.

Top Bottom