• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 2 tech interview, NINE days away from submission

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2009/08/uncharted-2-makes-ps3-shine-couldnt-happen-on-360.ars

"I guarantee that this game couldn't be working on XBox 360. It would be impossible. I'm 100 percent sure of this." Christophe Balestra, co-president of Naughty Dog, spoke with Ars about the technology behind Uncharted 2, the hugely anticipated follow-up to one of the PS3's best games: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune. "First of all, we fill the Blu-ray 100 percent, we have no room left on this one. We have 25GB of data; we're using every single bit of it."

Naughty Dog also used the SPUs to add physics to the sound so things occlude properly. That means that if you're behind a door, the sound will reflect that. Effects will sound different depending on where your character is in relation to the source. "All that math is done on SPUs to immerse players into the environment," he said. If you have a surround-sound setup for your PS3, this could very well be your new showcase title.

Uncharted 2 is going to be a showpiece title for the PlayStation 3, and Balestra notes that the knowledge and technical know-how used to create the game is something the team shares. "One thing we did for Uncharted is that we made the source code available to all the first parties," he explained. There is a team at Naughty Dog that's separate from those working on the game; their mandate is to work on technology that's shared with both first- and third-parties.

"They know how we're using the SPUs; they are free to look at how we're doing things and package it in such a way that it can be shared with third parties," Balestra told Ars.

Developers from Naughty Dog give talks at GDC, and the team often has third-party developers coming into the offices to discuss PlayStation 3 tech. Balestra said they have time set aside to speak with other developers after the game is finished—as of this writing they're nine days away from submission.

"We're very open, yes. That's part of our jobs."

Gabe, book an appointment.

Naughty Gods indeed. They've really set themselves up higher than any other developer this generation, always making strides to improve on past works. The runaway developer of this generation.

_leech_ said:
Gabe, book an appointment.

For real right!! But these guys are brilliant and it really shows how much they are fans of gaming in general by sharing their tech with 3rd party developers.

vocab

ND is really laying down the foundation for future PS3 games. If more devs jump on that source code, expect some very good looking games that hopefully don't play like shit.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
badcrumble said:
They should give talks to other devs on how to make their games fun and well-written too.
How was that even necessary?

edit, nvm its late and I need to go to bed

Kittonwy

Banned
Can't wait to play UNCHARTED 2!!!222!!!
angry.gif

I think they're making better games than the Jak era before Wells and Balestra took over as co-prez.
Indifferent2.gif

WinFonda

The sound fx appear to be implemented in a similar fashion to Socom: Confrontation - which that game does very well. I'm sure it'll be even better here :)

They are awesome, and so are other developers who are open to sharing their tech and stuff. It's very interesting what they are doing with the SPU's and how sounds will sound different depending on where you are. I like that kind of attention to detail. Wow at them filling up a 25GB Blu-Ray. I wonder if that means that Uncharted 3 will use a 50GB Blu-Ray. Would be awesome to see how they could take advantage of more space.

Yasae

Banned
WinFonda said:
The sound fx appear to be implemented in a similar fashion to Socom: Confrontation - which that game does very well. I'm sure it'll be even better here :)
Well if that'll increase DSP cycles, good.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I get it, Gabe works for Valve, and Valve don't make PS3 games. I like jokes.

StuBurns

Banned
Rez said:
I think it's more direct than that. Gabe said the PS3 is waste of time and there's nothing in the Cell you'd ever use. Some disagree.

epmode

stuburns said:
I think it's more direct than that. Gabe said the PS3 is waste of time and there's nothing in the Cell you'd ever use. Some disagree.
I'd say that developing for the PS3 is more of a waste of time for a PC dev than it is a for a de facto Sony first party. But whatever!

DrPirate

Banned
Lion Heart said:
The sound thing "sounds" interesting, im really curious to see how it is.

Play Socom.

(I honestly hated the game, I can't play it) but it has the best sound of nearly any PS3 game and features this "occluding sound" where you can hear sound bounce around corners, get muffled, etc.

UT66

Banned
i hate bullshit like this. Just make a good game, and shut the hell up. ok? who cares about the fking 360. In a few years im going to be able to play your "impossible game" at 650fps and real full 1080p with my low end pc with 257 intel cores. and you are going to look super dumb.

BigBoss

UT66 said:
i hate bullshit like this. Just make a good game, and shut the hell up. ok? who cares about the fking 360. In a few years im going to be able to play your "impossible game" at 650fps and real full 1080p with my low end pc with 257 intel cores. and you are going to look super dumb.

Are you drunk?

Phreak47

DrPirate said:
Play Socom.

(I honestly hated the game, I can't play it) but it has the best sound of nearly any PS3 game and features this "occluding sound" where you can hear sound bounce around corners, get muffled, etc.

Killzone 2 has this effect as well... in 7.1

WinFonda

UT66 said:
u_mad.gif

BlueWord

Rez said:

I think, also, there's some irony in the Uncharted 2 took two years to develop on a, according to Gabe, inferior platform... whereas Half Life 2: Episode 2 was released before the first Uncharted, and we've yet to even see a trailer for that.

On the other hand, I'm not really trying to draw comparisons between the two. Valve pushes the envelope in other ways, and the Half Life series is one of my favorites.

In other news: FUCK YEAH. My most anticipated game of the year, hands-down.

Az

UT66 said:
:lol

UT66 said:

:lol

DrPirate said:
Play Socom.

I have that game. I also think its one of the best sounding games this gen so rock on.

jett

D-Member
"I guarantee that this game couldn't be working on XBox 360. It would be impossible. I'm 100 percent sure of this." Christophe Balestra, co-president of Naughty Dog, spoke with Ars about the technology behind Uncharted 2, the hugely anticipated follow-up to one of the PS3's best games: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune. "First of all, we fill the Blu-ray 100 percent, we have no room left on this one. We have 25GB of data; we're using every single bit of it."

Bet it fits on a DVD9 if the cut-scenes were actually real-time instead of FMVs. :p

UT66 said:

LOL I knew the first sentence of the OP was going to snag someone.

vocab

jett said:
Bet it fits on a DVD9 if the cut-scenes were actually real-time instead of FMVs. :p

Nope. Uncharted 1 contained so many extras it was downright crazy. They already said they are doubling the extras on the disc.

Top Bottom