• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 2 tech interview, NINE days away from submission

Kittonwy

Banned
UT66 said:
i hate bullshit like this. Just make a good game, and shut the hell up. ok? who cares about the fking 360. In a few years im going to be able to play your "impossible game" at 650fps and real full 1080p with my low end pc with 257 intel cores. and you are going to look super dumb.

Indifferent2.gif

squicken

sick burn on Valve. I'm sure Gabe cries himself to sleep at night wishing he could make games as good as Uncharted.

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
Cerberus said:
So awesome of ND to share what they know with other parties.

And to also be humble enough to collaborate with other PS3-developing luminaries, like Guerrilla Games. It's give and take :)

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
_leech_ said:
Gabe, book an appointment.

Seriously, or send the interns at Valve to ND.

Rez said:
I get it, Gabe works for Valve, and Valve don't make PS3 games. I like jokes.

It's more that Valve is "looking into the PS3" after being up/down about it. If they really are looking into it, why not go to ND and check the tech they used out and see if they can use some of that for Source porting themselves instead of relying on EA to do a sup-par port?

Kittonwy said:
I think they're making better games than the Jak era before Wells and Balestra took over as co-prez

LOLWUTPEAR.gif

Rubin was god. Crash 1 was okay, 2 was great and 3 was passable. CTRacing was a good attempt for Sony's console to have a "Mario Kart."

Jak 1 was alright, but 2 and 3 were kinda meh. I skipped Jax X Racing or whatever the racing game was.

ND still has it, basically. And any company (well, former employee of that company) that can link Game Industry idiocy to Tara Reid knows something.

Also I believe the 25 gigs when I see it. Sometimes developers blow file sizes for their games on a DVD/Blu-ray out of proportion.

StuBurns

Banned
epmode said:
I'd say that developing for the PS3 is more of a waste of time for a PC dev than it is a for a de facto Sony first party. But whatever!
He was criticizing the PS3 architecture, not the business model for PS3 game production. Though Valve have done that too. It's their company, if they don't see the point, that's their call, hard to complain about that. Blizzard could be making millions more putting WoW on consoles, they are choosing not to do so, and people can complain all they want, it makes no difference.

But Gabe's comments about the PS3 itself, as a device, seem out of line with what we're seeing I think is the point. KZ2 makes the Orange Box look like a piece of dog shit technically, of course as a game it's a laughable comparison. But clearly the PS3 is more than capable to host anything they've built so far.

WinFonda

The-Warning said:
Wow where would Sony be without Naughty Dog? That's a scary thought.
I think Sony had the same scary thought almost 10 years ago when they acquired ND :) Sony's made a bunch of really solid acquisitions over the years, and luckily, their team's talents are the best they've ever been....

Save some of their Japanese studios ;)

teekun

Cataferal said:
I don't believe Uncharted relied on FMV's at all. I could be wrong though.

There are definitely some. The thing is, they're all rendered in-engine with some post-processing, so they look very close to the in-game graphics, but slightly nicer. From what I've heard, Uncharted 2 is exactly the same.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
TheSeks said:
Also I believe the 25 gigs when I see it. Sometimes developers blow file sizes for their games on a DVD/Blu-ray out of proportion.

What a strange post. Why would they lie? Especially when they are so open about their tech with other developers.

Get used to the fact that as games get more and more advanced (graphically, sound wise, etc.) and with the HD era, you are going to need space.

Compressing the hell out of things isn't always a very good thing.

dorkimoe

whens the demo start?

we had an email at work with the date but i cant remember

edit: nvm
Multiplayer demo will be available to download and play from 09/15/2009 to 09/29/2009. T

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
teekun said:
There are definitely some. The thing is, they're all rendered in-engine with some post-processing, so they look very close to the in-game graphics, but slightly nicer. From what I've heard, Uncharted 2 is exactly the same.

All of the cutscenes in the first Uncharted looked prerecorded to me. The encode wasn't the best either as there was artifacting at times. I hate when companies use FMV instead of just rendering real-time. I really hope Uncharted 2 does all cutscenes in real-time.

AKS

jett said:
Bet it fits on a DVD9 if the cut-scenes were actually real-time instead of FMVs. :p

Yeah, you could squeeze the 7.1 LPCM audio track in there no problem. :lol I wouldn't be surprised if the audio alone could not fit on a DVD.

vocab

TheSeks said:

Gears of War on the PC was 10-12 gigs. That game is how old? Uncharted 2 has uncompressed audio, higher res textures, a multiplayer portion, and a boatload of extras including behind the scenes videos that are encoded in HD. The numbers ND gave is actually believable

RiZ III

From what I remember, Gabe didn't say the ps3 was inferior, he said it was a waste of time, which it is when you're doing multiplatform. Not because it won't turn you profit, but because it literally sucks up your time with tech. You can use he same architecture of code for pc and 360 while you have to jump through hoops to get the ps3 running on par. If you're just working on Ps3 though, of course you can take full advantage of it. However doing multiplatform requires more time and having to dedicate time to figuring out how to move parts of your system over to the spus just so it can run on par IS a waste of time.

Either way, U2 is looking great, can't wait to play it!

commissar

RiZ III said:
You can use he same architecture of code for pc and 360 while you have to jump through hoops to get the ps3 running on par. If you're just working on Ps3 though, of course you can take full advantage of it. However doing multiplatform requires more time and having to dedicate time to figuring out how to move parts of your system over to the spus just so it can run on par IS a waste of time.
Considering the optimisation benefits coming from PS3 -> anything else (Cry Engine 3 as an example), it might be worth investigating for them. Valve's Source has always been about being playable on a wide range of machines.

In any case, yay Uncharted 2 : D

Aaron

vocab said:
Gears of War on the PC was 10-12 gigs. That game is how old? Uncharted 2 has uncompressed audio, higher res textures, a multiplayer portion, and a boatload of extras including behind the scenes videos that are encoded in HD. The numbers ND gave is actually believable
Some of it still has to be redundant data though, or the loading times of Uncharted 2 would be abysmal. I still think the pure data is larger than a DVD could hold, but it's still a bloated figure.

linsivvi

TheSeks said:

Well, my guess is they fill the rest of the disc with HD videos of making of, developer commentaries, etc. Good stuff.

Concept17

vocab said:

Indeed. I'm guessing they use a lot less compression in most everything, and yet the game will still be packed full of content.

grif1020 said:
All of the cutscenes in the first Uncharted looked prerecorded to me. The encode wasn't the best either as there was artifacting at times. I hate when companies use FMV instead of just rendering real-time. I really hope Uncharted 2 does all cutscenes in real-time.

The primary reason for capturing the real-time footage in a movie format, was to allow Naughty Dog to background-load the next level, so when the cutscene ended, you got straight to the action. If the cutscene is rendered real-time, you'll have to load memory with the next level after the cutscene ends = waste of time.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
UT66 said:
i hate bullshit like this. Just make a good game, and shut the hell up. ok? who cares about the fking 360. In a few years im going to be able to play your "impossible game" at 650fps and real full 1080p with my low end pc with 257 intel cores. and you are going to look super dumb.

chaowtf2dce2.gif

UT66 said:

98 posts... Damn, you were sooo close.

vocab said:

Gears of War on the PC has all the assets repeated for each quality setting ;)

Actually, there's an interview out there (I'll find it) where ND explains that they were well over the capacity of a single bluray layer with this game, but the turn-around of burning test copies for their testers was too long. Combination I assume of having more single layer burners around and single layer burning being faster.

So instead, they decided to work hard to keep the game within the confines of a single layer. That's also why its exactly the size of a single layer bluray disc - they've already been compressing stuff to make it fit.

I don't think ND designed their HD-caching streaming engine (the first version of which they coded for Uncharted 1 a day or so, iirc - there's a GDC presentation called the Tech of Uncharted I think which details this) so that they would then also need to have their data repeated all over the disc. A combination of the HD caching and Uncharted being a mostly linear game so you can access most data nearly sequentially, there should be no need for that whatsoever.

There were some load-times in Uncharted, although they were hidden by movies - but if you tried to skip the movies fast enough, then you'd still see a bit of a load-screen. It will be interesting to see if they managed to get rid of loading altogether this time (reminds me of Jak & Daxter, which was a no-loading time game on the PS2, which by the way didn't have a harddrive available for caching ;) ).

Really look forward to this game, and to see that depth-of-field in action ... and I also got a nice proper surround system this year that sounds like it'll be getting a good exercise.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Naughty Dog are Gods.

It is very cool that they are sharing the Source in an effort to allow all PS3 games to perform on this godly level.

Tripwood

So, is it ok for me to hate on Bungie, Naughty Dog, Kojima, Miyamoto etc. for not developing for PC?

I'm just wondering since all this Gabe bashing never made any sense to me. Carry on.

szaromir

Banned
Tripwood said:
So, is it ok for me to hate on Bungie, Naughty Dog, Kojima, Miyamoto etc. for not developing for PC?

I'm just wondering since all this Gabe bashing never made any sense to me. Carry on.
It's Sony-GAF being Sony-GAF.

Lince

Banned
I loved the sound in Uncharted so the sequel will blow my mind, thanks God for my 5.1 headphones, I can't play without them anymore.

stuburns said:
I think it's more direct than that. Gabe said the PS3 is waste of time and there's nothing in the Cell you'd ever use. Some disagree.

He was right, the CELL is crap for gaming, sony spent hundreds of millions on a complicated processor, then millions more training engineers to show third parties how to use the fucking thing.

StuBurns

Banned
fizzelopeguss said:
He was right, the CELL is crap for gaming, sony spent hundreds of millions on a complicated processor, then millions more training engineers to show third parties how to use the fucking thing.
How can you say it's crap for gaming where the most technically impressive console games are on the PS3? If they weren't, then fine. But for him to say the PS3 is pointless, and for it still to be producing the best results is crazy. He didn't say, it's pointless and the 360 is worse.

All developers want a single super powerful CPU core, or as close to that as possible. Valve is not alone. It doesn't mean the Cell is a waste of time.

BruceWayneIII said:
The primary reason for capturing the real-time footage in a movie format, was to allow Naughty Dog to background-load the next level, so when the cutscene ended, you got straight to the action. If the cutscene is rendered real-time, you'll have to load memory with the next level after the cutscene ends = waste of time.

No. You can skip a cutscene and be taken straight to the next level with no loading.

mclem

stuburns said:
How can you say it's crap for gaming where the most technically impressive console games are on the PS3?

I'd suggest that it's because he believes that technically impressive console games are not *automatically* a good thing for gaming? They *can* be good games if they're, well, good games - and Uncharted is extremely likely to be! - but the way you're phrasing it suggests that the technical impressiveness is the be-all and end-all.

Lince

Banned
this whole full BR capacity has me worried, so is the English voice/sound track included in every version of Uncharted 2 or are we expecting Sony pulling another inFamous fiasco (English language not included for some countries) ??

confirmation? pretty please?

Top Bottom