• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avatar Community |OT| Live. Die. Repeat.

Satch

Banned
?

make sexual tension out of attempted murder brehs
EleGiggle.png

Fight over Mako?
Mako's not even worth fighting over. Asami already has her own money so she doesn't really need him for much. He already proved that he's unfaithful so she doesn't need him for emotional stability either and Korra is the Avatar, she don't need his ass. If anything they'd just beat the shit out of Mako for putting them threw that nonsense.

Mako's not even worth fighting over. Asami already has her own money so she doesn't really need him for much. He already proved that he's unfaithful so she doesn't need him for emotional stability either and Korra is the Avatar, she don't need his ass. If anything they'd just beat the shit out of Mako for putting them threw that nonsense.

These Makos ain't loyal

(well... not all of them, at least the one attached to Ryuko's hip seems like she is)

These Makos ain't loyal

(well... not all of them, at least the one attached to Ryuko's hip seems like she is)
Mako Mankanshoku was the superior Mako and everybody knows it, even Satsuki knew her name. Satsuki would probably just get Gamagori to throw Korra's Mako out of the show.
tumblr_mwbi9ue0TE1qj5jqso5_500.gif

13903597923131.jpg

That cape is too fucking swagtastic. Why'd they take out some of the coolest parts of her design? She looks cool enough to be a Gundam villain.

Wanderer5

Ha ha that cape is kind of badass.

I like her hair in the bun that she has in the final look, rather than the braid she had in book 3.

Veelk

Banned
Kuvira was meh as a villain, but her design is great. She just needs a bit more fluidity, which her braid and cape added to make work. The character design for the show is really good in general, but Kuvira could have been the best if not for those meddling budget cuts.

Asami's new look sucks though. That little...what do you call it, around her shoulders makes her feel like she's wearing grandma clothes. I liked her old hair better too.

Ha ha that cape is kind of badass.

I like her hair in the bun that she has in the final look, rather than the braid she had in book 3.
I love her hair either in that braid or down, she's just sexy as fuck that way.
Kuvira was meh as a villain, but her design is great. She just needs a bit more fluidity, which her braid and cape added to make work. The character design for the show is really good in general, but Kuvira could have been the best if not for those meddling budget cuts.
This and they really should have concentrated on making her an actual person with a personality. Her turning into Hitler and her actual personality clashed a bit, which was why she just seemed like an uneven villain. Besides they really should've played more with how she acts like Su in a lot of ways, would've given Su a good amount of reflection and character growth as well.

Veelk

Banned
This and they really should have concentrated on making her an actual person with a personality. Her turning into Hitler and her actual personality clashed a bit, which was why she just seemed like an uneven villain. Besides they really should've played more with how she acts like Su in a lot of ways, would've given Su a good amount of reflection and character growth as well.

If we're talking characterization overhaul, we can't do anything with Kuvira alone. The entire cast would need an overhaul. Literally every character. I agree though, the concept of Kuvira is really good.

Asami's new look sucks though. That little...what do you call it, around her shoulders makes her feel like she's wearing grandma clothes. I liked her old hair better too.

The narrative wasn't enough to tell us 4 years had passed, so they had to resort to grandma clothes for Asami and an old man hairstyle for Mako.

Also smh at the Mako hate. Mako was more useful than Asami. Come at me bros/sis'.

Veelk

Banned
Could have been worse/better

Though imo, he actually looked at his best when he got the shit kicked out of him and let his hair down.

That's the best image of him I saw though. He looks better from a straight forward perspective, but I only have an unclear image of him with that.

Wanderer5

I didn't mind Asami's new look, just kind of wish they tweaked her biker suit.

And oh god that breaded Mako lol

If we're talking characterization overhaul, we can't do anything with Kuvira alone. The entire cast would need an overhaul. Literally every character. I agree though, the concept of Kuvira is really good.

Sadly that was a big problem with LoK, the cast of characters and their developments. Kuvira had so much potential, but even her end results felt really bleh all around, with her shoved in at the last moment motivations, and her and Su last interaction in the show lacking.

Also still a bit annoyed that we didn't see the Fire Nation, but guess maybe that can happen via the comics.

Lol nobody is safe from that one. I will always prefer the Yu Yu Hakusho group over the Krew, this even extends to people like Kuwabara's older sister, Yukina and Keiko. You can just see the group bond over the course of the show, with the Krew, no not really. I honestly just have a hard time believing their friendship outside of some of the season one eps regarding probending.

Veelk

Banned
Lol nobody is safe from that one. I will always prefer the Yu Yu Hakusho group over the Krew, this even extends to people like Kuwabara's older sister, Yukina and Keiko. You can just see the group bond over the course of the show, with the Krew, no not really. I honestly just have a hard time believing their friendship outside of some of the season one eps regarding probending.

I mean, that's really not fair though. Team Urameshi is God Tier in terms of team dynamic. It's a show that stumbles a bit in plot and power balance, but dat character interaction is epically good.

I mean, that's really not fair though. Team Urameshi is God Tier in terms of team dynamic. It's a show that stumbles a bit in plot and power balance, but dat character interaction is epically good.
Kuvira could've been Korra's Hiei, but they fucked it up.
And in today's episode of tumblr wastes no time
She looks good enough to work on the death star, now I really wish they went with this design.
MobileSuitsOfZeon.jpg

Sieg Kuvira!!!

Veelk

Banned
Kuvira could've been Korra's Hiei, but they fucked it up.

She'd have to join up a lot earlier if she was gonna be part of the Krew. Which I wouldn't object to, but I feel the Krew is already bloated enough as it is.

Mako and Bolin became basically pointless in regards to the dynamic after the whole love triangle thing. They were competent footsoldiers, but they had nothing in terms of dynamic with Korra. The real core of the team was Korra + Tenzin and Asami if we're being very generous. Mako and Bolin were just...around. Introducing Kuvira might be interesting for an episode or two, but she'd have to be integrated on a better level than Mako and Bolin were for it to stick.

She'd have to join up a lot earlier if she was gonna be part of the Krew. Which I wouldn't object to, but I feel the Krew is already bloated enough as it is.

Mako and Bolin became basically pointless in regards to the dynamic after the whole love triangle thing. They were competent footsoldiers, but they had nothing in terms of dynamic with Korra. The real core of the team was Korra + Tenzin and Asami if we're being very generous. Mako and Bolin were just...around. Introducing Kuvira might be interesting for an episode or two, but she'd have to be integrated on a better level than Mako and Bolin were for it to stick.
Kuvira could've just been introduced as somebody trying to capture Amon and she got tangled up with Korra in the process. They fight initially...a lot but over the course of that they become better friends and see that they have a lot in common, it's not actually that hard to introduce Kuvira in the Krew...Naga is more a of member than Asami is I swear, at least just as much screen time, Asami was just troop transport. What made the Krew so damn awkward and forced was the fact that they had nothing in common and really didn't seem to be bound by that much of a mutual respect.

Veelk

Banned
Kuvira could've just been introduced as somebody trying to capture Amon and she got tangled up with Korra in the process. They fight initially...a lot but over the course of that they become better friends and see that they have a lot in common, it's not actually that hard to introduce Kuvira in the Krew...Naga is more a of member than Asami is I swear, at least just as much screen time, Asami was just troop transport. What made the Krew so damn awkward and forced was the fact that they had nothing in common and really didn't seem to be bound by that much of a mutual respect.

Yeah, not hard if we're introducing her all the way in the Amon arc, but if that's how we're playing it, we'd already be changing her characterization drastically. She's a Zaofu-Earth Empire bae, she wouldn't care about Republic City unless she's already planning on retaking it someday with her Earth Empire.

But I do agree, she'd make an excellent reverse-Zuko to the team. In my fanfic rewrite I'm never gonna do, I'd have had her be Korra's friend growing up. Suyin would visit occasionally, bringing her along to have her spar with the Avatar as part of her training (because Suyin doesn't do things small, so if she's going to raise a warrior, she's going to have her be worthy to be called the avatar's opponent). The main Krew would still be the main Krew, but Kuvira would be significant background element of her life as her first friend, her equal, her rival, and eventually her final enemy. It'd introduce plenty of personal tension as well.

Yeah, not hard if we're introducing her all the way in the Amon arc, but if that's how we're playing it, we'd already be changing her characterization drastically. She's a Zaofu-Earth Empire bae, she wouldn't care about Republic City unless she's already planning on retaking it someday with her Earth Empire.

But I do agree, she'd make an excellent reverse-Zuko to the team.
I also figured she could be training under Lin as an aspiring cop and she was actually part of the team that arrested Korra. She's in Republic City because Su got tired of dealing with Kuvira's rebellious streak and decided to allow Lin to help raise her. She still gets to keep her Zaofu roots, but she's also more integrated in the proceedings of Republic City...she still gets to keep her metal bending and her role as a guard type.
In my fanfic rewrite I'm never gonna do, I'd have had her be Korra's friend growing up. Suyin would visit occasionally, bringing her along to have her spar with the Avatar as part of her training (because Suyin doesn't do things small, so if she's going to raise a warrior, she's going to have her be worthy to be called the avatar's opponent). The main Krew would still be the main Krew, but Kuvira would be significant background element of her life as her first friend, her equal, her rival, and eventually her final enemy. It'd introduce plenty of personal tension as well.
This is also a really good idea, you never got the sense that they had a rivalry on the show and Kuvira being her first friend would have given the whole thing great depth and weight. It'd make Korra challenge her no kill policy as well and it would make more sense that at the end Korra would Talk no Jutsu her. That whole thing would make Kuvira Athrun Zala actually and by the end they'd just join forces or some shit to combat greater evils...actually that would work really well if they had the events of season 2 being the last season. Korra and Kuvira joining forces to wipe out Unalaaq's bullshit and Vaatu, that would've been pretty good actually.

Veelk

Banned
I also figured she could be training under Lin as an aspiring cop and she was actually part of the team that arrested Korra. She's in Republic City because Su got tired of dealing with Kuvira's rebellious streak and decided to allow Lin to help raise her. She still gets to keep her Zaofu roots, but she's also more integrated in the proceedings of Republic City...she still gets to keep her metal bending and her role as a guard type.

I like my idea better.

Toa TAK

Banned
Yeah yeah, but Kuvira looks amazing no matter what, right? Just look at the concept art, she's the real caped crusader!

Veelk

Banned
Maor fanfic ideas that will never come into fruition! I think that's the only way we can keep the thread going if we're not gonna do the fanfic reads. I'd rather not have this thread just turn into one long thirst session.

Mako:

I think the best way to handle his character isn't necessarily to change stuff around too much, but add to whats there, which will change his character as an indirect effect.

So we can keep his crush on Korra from the first season, which was honestly his only defining trait besides his also crush on Asami, which I think we'll also keep, but won't have Asami recuperate.

Before the probending stuff, he was basically a freelance gangster growing up. He did jobs for the triad, but kept clear of their hardcore violence. The triads saw this as a something of a useful liability. Mako was a good utility to them, but his reluctance to join in on the hardcore stuff made them nervous about his loyalties. So they kept him in the dark of a lot of what his jobs were for, which was useful in other ways in any case. Plausible deniability and such and besides, he was a kid, so they expected him to come along with them eventuall. But it was only a matter of time before he either has to join up with them for good or they cut off contacts with him. At the time the story starts, they are very near that point.

Bolin isn't a mental challenged idiot in this version, but he is very trusting, because he chooses to be, not out of ignorance. So he highly disapproves of the Triad, knowing what they are, but trusts Mako when he says he's not part of it anymore. He'd rather be put into poverty than associate with thugs that hurt and extort people. It's less stupidity and more of a ethics thing on his part. Similar to how he has suspicions that Mako lies to him, but he considers trusting his brother until he sees direct evidence of his lies to be more important than getting at the truth itself.

Mako takes the jobs because he took on the larger share of the responsibility of raising Bolin. Kind of like Katara did with Sokka, he became a surrogate parent figure, so he had been the one who decided how they were raised. As a result, he considered himself the more realistic and pragmatic of the pair, which is why he got involved in the gang activities in the first place. While he does have a sense of morality, he considers the reality of survival to usurp any notions of right or wrong. Even without his brothers disapproval, he feels guilt in partaking in the gang's activities, but feels that without it, they don't have a leg to stand on, not just for their present situation, but for their careers as probenders. They are out of poverty, but only just barely, and to be a real probender, that takes a lot of time training, and they need finance to be good. If they're good, they'll get a sponsor, which will eliminate the need for the gang activities.

Note: They do not participate in the 'official' Republic City Probending League as they do in the show. In my version, that's only for people with actual sponsors. However, sponsors are on the lookout for new talent that occasionally appears on the streets, so there is a minor Amatuer Probending Organization that is basically specifically set up to be a cheap and easy entry point to spot new talent. However, because it's accessible to anyone who wants to try with minimal fees and qualifications, the APO is oversaturated with thousands of amateurs trying to get noticed, and very few of them are. Hence then need Mako sees to finance their training. Playing in the APO can't sustain them indefinitely, if he's not a superstar, he'll be forgotten in the shuffle. The APO is a temporary solution that will eventually run it's course. He'll need to get sponsored soon, or never at all.

So where the episode opens, he's working a job for the triad, feeling guilty about doing so while reminding himself of it's necessity. He was acting as muscle that was meant mostly for intimidation. The actual gangster he was aiding today was performing the "Nice shop you got here' routine.

Enter Korra.

She trashes the other guys, but Mako is a fighter she can't quite put down. Not because he's got cheat codes on like in the show, but because his life philosophy of prioritizing survival over ethics is reflected in his fighting style. He fights dirty, in other words, whereas Korra is used to fighting if not by certain rules, then by normal combative bending. She can beat almost anyone in bending. Mako uses bending, throws dirty in eyes, uses kicks and punches, throws anything within arms reach at her, and is definitely not averse to hitting girls, especially if they have twice the musculature size on him.

He eventually tries to run, (using lightning to cover his escape (Still a rare skill in the modern age)) but Korra to catches him. She's about to just turn him in when the police arrive, but Mako knows he will be in deep shit if that happens. So he sells out his boss, which appeals to Korra's sense of justice of getting the bigger fish. Still, she has a personal dislike for Mako's cowardness, so she's distainful toward him. Meanwhile, he's amazed because not only did Korra wrek his crew, but she's the goddamn avatar. He talks to her, while she basically tells him to fuck off, but eventually they get a dialogue going. Korra never really trusts him, but he talks to her about his situation. Korra listens, but feels he's probably trying to lure her into a false sense of security, as he's very clearly the 'bad guy' here. Mako himself doesn't really know why he's saying it. Maybe he is trying to get an appeal on some level, but he doesn't think that's going to work. Maybe he just doesn't like how she's judging him (correctly) as being a weasel and feels the need to defend himself. Maybe it's just an avatar thing that makes people want to open up to her. I'd leave that bit ambiguous.

Anyway, Korra arrives at the headquarters. Korra thinks she can storm the whole place herself, while Mako thinks she's crazy. He knows she's the avatar, but there are dozens of guys in there (figurative guys. The triad and most society institutes are equal opportunity in terms of gender). Besides, he needs to GTFO. If he's spotted leading Korra to their base, there is no way he won't be blacklisted by the Triad. He asks Korra to wait until the metal bending police arrive if she's going to go in, but she's all "I'm the goddamn avatar". He's kind of stuck on what he is supposed to do. He can leave, but he thinks that if he does, Korra will get killed, avatar or not. Korra is asks him what he's gonna do. She expects him to run, as she has categorized him as 'bad guy dirty coward'. He says he has to go. Korra goes to clean house. Mako comes back. He doesn't save her, as she clearly could have handled everything herself, but he helps. Before he re-enters the facility, he puts on a mask so as to be unrecognized before coming back. He's amazed at Korra's seemingly superhuman fighting abilities and in awe of the power of the avatar.

The police show up and Mako can't escape. Mako takes off his mask, which surprises Korra and leaves her uncertain. Her catergorizations of Mako's character had not allowed him to come back to help her. She doesn't really know what to make of Mako. Frankly, neither had he. Even with the mask, he still probably got blacklisted by any gang member still concious, though none of them seemed to be. Unlike the show where she only snagged two bit thugs, here she captured an entire gang cell and a triad lieutenant. Lin is still her salty self, but she's not going to bust Korra's balls too hard over it, given her catch. She is going to arrest mako, Mako can only hope they'll buy that he was as much a victim of Korra as any other member, as that's the easiest they'll go on him. But Korra decides that she will vouch for him, which convinces Lin to let Mako go. They leave the building amicably, Korra finally thanking him for the assist with the lightning. "Lightning?" He says. He hadn't used lightning in that fight. There had been another masked helper in the shadows.

End First episode. They part soon after leaving the police station, thinking they'll never see each other again. Korra doesn't hate him or not, but she's got a problem with 'catergorizing' people as 'bad guys', so if they don't fit in the stereotypes, while still being obvious criminals or otherwise weasely people (like Mako currently is), she's kind of at a loss what to do with them. She doesn't hate or disdain Mako as a rule, but she wants 'good people' as her friends, like Aang had. But she feels good about the day. 30 minutes in Republic City, and she already takes down a major gang cell. Damn she's good, she thinks to herself, and moves to meet up with Tenzin.

For the record, These are only the Mako parts of the pilot. LoK is still Korra's show, but I was just structuring where Mako's place in the story would be. The series would have him basically growing into an honorable person as it goes on, which seem appropriate for how he ends up involved in the police. His relationships with Korra and Bolin will obviously be altered, but can remain conceptually the same as the show. Love interest, brother, teenage problems, etc. Just elaborated upon. Not sure about Asami yet, but he'd be advised by Tenzin too. No reason the old coot should mentor only one of the Krew. Mako would also be the most reluctant hero of the group, even as he gets to be the most honorable. Obviously, Mako's "do what you need to do to survive above all" is developed into something more as he interacts with Korra, Bolin, and Asami (of course, they all have their own perspectives on justice, which will be one of the themes of the show). Mako's a guy who wants to live peacefully, making his salary and hanging out with friends. Unfortunately, he's part of the Krew, so while he becomes willing to engage in heroism, it's more of a "ugh, goddammit, some dude is fucking over my city again and now I have to risk my life to stop him". Probably because Korra and Asami essentially have a stable livelihood provided for them as part of their heritage and Bolin is just the sort that doesn't really pay much attention to his financial state as long as basic needs are met, Mako had to actively seek and develop a stable life, which is a theme that wasn't actually possible in TLA as the entire gang had been traveling around the whole time. So when a villain comes over to knock that over, he's more agitated than most. There will a large 'FML' prevailing theme around his personality, while Korra, Asami, and Bolin are all happy to get into this stuff. Something like Sokka, I suppose, but more based around self preservation than need to snark at the universe regardless of circumstances.

That's the gist of my idea with Mako. I have some specific ideas for his future development, but I've written enough for now.

Trey

Opened the page and it loads to the bottom. I scroll up and about halfway through the post I knew it had to be Veelk.

Toa TAK

Banned
Maor fanfic ideas that will never come into fruition! I think that's the only way we can keep the thread going if we're not gonna do the fanfic reads. I'd rather not have this thread just turn into one long thirst session.
That makes two of us.

However...

*control+f: Kuvira*

I can see now why that fanfic will never come to fruition.

Veelk

Banned
That makes two of us.

However...

*control+f: Kuvira*

I can see now why that fanfic will never come to fruition.
I've got big plans for Kuvira in my head, don't you worry. In fact, I mentioned them to Jaded. I'm just laying this out one character at a time. This time, it's mako. He doesn't interact with Kuvira much except
Thirsting for her briefly, but he does that with women in general. Maybe if I wrote it, their interactions might grow in the telling, but Kuvira's arc is kind of designed around not having friends besides korra.

I've got big plans for Kuvira in my head, don't you worry. In fact, I mentioned them to Jaded. I'm just laying this out one character at a time. This time, it's mako. He doesn't interact with Kuvira much except
Thirsting for her briefly, but he does that with women in general. Maybe if I wrote it, their interactions might grow in the telling, but Kuvira's arc is kind of designed around not having friends besides korra.
Kuvira wouldn't waste too much of her time conversing with that simp any way.

Veelk

Banned
Kuvira wouldn't waste too much of her time conversing with that simp any way.

Pretty much. He atleast has a shot with Korra as she learns that he's not a complete scumbag. Asami has nothing against him but doesn't really care unless I change my mind about it at some point. Kuvira however gives no shits. Every other girl is a minor character, so they're a mixed bag. He has the looks for it, but I try to make personality be the major focus of romances.

Toa TAK

Banned

I'm excited. You should bring it to life.

And then pay the VAs to voice act it.

And pay tumblr fanatics to animate it.

Then the show will live on. ;_;

Top Bottom