• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Cthulhu Mafia |OT| Nuts on this island taste insane! Yum Yum!

Sorian

Banned
t1438974000z0.png

Missed one.

Oops, sorry

VOTE: Lone_Prodigy

Zatoth

Damn game runners being allowed to edit. Making me look foolish.

ONjGv69.png

For the new page:

13 votes are needed to end the day early

Blargonaut (3)
ultron87
Matt Attack
OceanicAir

Lone_Prodigy (2)
Droplet
Sorian

Neuromancer (2)
Flame_AC
Lone_Prodigy

GreatCharleston (1)
Rats Off To Ya

Rats Off To Ya (1)
Blargonaut

Droplet (1)
Darryl

RetroMG (1)
Lord of Castamere

t1438974000z0.png

Fireblend

Banned
I just had a thought. What if the cultists are controlling who gets the item and they have to give it to a tourist each night? This would solve the issue that Fire brought up earlier. If its not a single player controlling it but the whole team then one person dying won't affect the game mechanic.

What if they chose to give it to the same person they kill? I guess there'd have to be a rule that they can't do that :p

Sorian

Banned
What if they chose to give it to the same person they kill? I guess there'd have to be a rule that they can't do that :p

Sure, just like I assume they can't vote to kill a dead person and we can't vote to lynch a dead person. It is worth noting that it is a tool like any other. They may have received a stipulation that they have to give it to someone alive but then they may also just have an option to do a vote: no pass as well. It's hard to say, we only know what 2/5 of the powers are. For all we know, one of those other 3 powers is something that the cultists want to put into the towns hands. Admittingly, the only thing I can think of, offhand, that the cultists would want to put into our hands is a power that allows a tourist to become a cultist.

Sorian

Banned
By the way, I keep imagining this thing as an orb so from here on out, I'm going to refer to it as the Crazy Orb. I notice I've been dancing around what to call the damn thing so that's my name for it.

nin1000

Banned
By the way, I keep imagining this thing as an orb so from here on out, I'm going to refer to it as the Crazy Orb. I notice I've been dancing around what to call the damn thing so that's my name for it.

Lets just hope this "orb" thing is even real and daryll is not fucking with 20+ players.

Sorian

Banned
Lets just hope this "orb" thing is even real and daryll is not fucking with 20+ players.

If nothing else, it's at least something to talk about. For now, theories will be all we can do. It will be interesting to see who, if anyone, claims to have gotten the thing on day 2.

---

Moving away from the Crazy Orb for a bit, I would just like to post a reminder that I'd like to hear more from Lone_Prodigy. I found the bandwagon post to be highly suspicious so I'd love to hear more of your thoughts on our current situation.

Why, I do declare, where on this accursed pebble is Mr. Castamere? Only top men will get us off this island! I've heard that he comes highly recommended as a dashing no-nonsense crypt-keeper and gumshoe expert in runology, you know.

+++++++++++++++++++++++
FOR YOUR EYES ONLY

[Mark 1 Project]

1ID_SOLVENT.: JOKER_CORRELATE.ini; note, disregard ostrich and emu.
SOLUTE1: Dd... Halve #2nd = CoMManDD Post #__, then div. by 7 = WARNING: Minimum number of warships in bound, verified -/- DO NOT MIX WITH ID_SOLUTION
SOLUTE2: IN-SITU ORANGE MIC REFERS TO STATE ASSOCIATE, EXTRAPOLATE WITH RESEARCH <-> MIX WITH SOLVENT -> for ID_SOLUTION (do not divulge)
SOLUTE3: To customer #25, dinner cannot be served by the kitchen, we already thoroughly explained that you must provide.
SOLUTE4: ??? await if need be

RetroMG

I got a temporary item today offering me 5 abilities. It expires after the night phase and passes to another player. An example of an ability is blocking a night eviction, although the abilities get truly insane. I don't wanna spoil it. Seems pretty safe to say this publicly since it's not gonna be in my possession anymore and all future obtainees will know I'm town.

I hope everyone who gets this item in the future uses it responsibly and never ever for a minute thinks to use it against me (plz).

I'm re-reading the thread, and I just want to clarify this. You get to choose which of the five abilities you use? (It seems like a dumb question, but I feel like it's important to have a clear answer on it.)

Coppanuva

Looks like there's some interesting knowledge going on in this game now... I'm not really sure what to make of it all so far.

Mystic Orb: Cool mechanic if it's real. I assume that each power is usable once, making it sort of like the Witch. Though I'm wondering what use that spontaneous combustion power might be. Maybe there's a role that makes sense to use that (similar to the hunter in werewolf, where you get to kill someone when you die)?

Interesting... haven't seen a lot of solid reasons to pick anyone yet though, I'm abstaining from my vote for the time being, though I do plan to vote by day's end.

Flame_AC

Looks like there's some interesting knowledge going on in this game now... I'm not really sure what to make of it all so far.

Mystic Orb: Cool mechanic if it's real. I assume that each power is usable once, making it sort of like the Witch. Though I'm wondering what use that spontaneous combustion power might be. Maybe there's a role that makes sense to use that (similar to the hunter in werewolf, where you get to kill someone when you die)?

Interesting... haven't seen a lot of solid reasons to pick anyone yet though, I'm abstaining from my vote for the time being, though I do plan to vote by day's end.

As it is early Day 1 still, it is going to be impossible for us to get the solid reasons you're asking for. The most helpful thing you could do for the Tourists is to just say who has rubbed you the wrong way and why, put others on the defensive and see who cracks.

Unvote: Neuromancer

I was too hasty and agree that it's too early for a bandwagon. I would like to hear from him about his suspicions though.

Flame_AC

I was too hasty and agree that it's too early for a bandwagon. I would like to hear from him about his suspicions though.

Now this is where things get interesting,

Vote: Lone Prodigy

It appears to me that you are simply changing your vote due to the mounting pressure on you for potentially bandwagoning, if you were trying to follow the flow of the game by voting on the popular pick at the moment, it's not going to work.

Sorian

Banned
What mounting pressure? And who's potentially bandwagoning now?

Vote: Flame_AC

Well you have 3-4 votes on you. Myself included. It looked like Flame had the situation handled but since you are going to use your vote to lash out, I might as well throw my hat into the ring. I've asked twice for you to speak up now:

Moving away from the Crazy Orb for a bit, I would just like to post a reminder that I'd like to hear more from Lone_Prodigy. I found the bandwagon post to be highly suspicious so I'd love to hear more of your thoughts on our current situation.

Time for me to use my voting power some more. I didn't like this post. I hinted as such last night. Bandwagon for the sake of bandwagon always seems scummy and that's the way this post felt. I agree with your logic on Neuro but he was the easy target at the time. What other suspicions/reservations have you been having?

And you've chosen to ignore both even though you most likely read them since you claimed your reason to unvote Neuro was because you admit that what you did seemed very bandwagon. Why ignore my requests and why get defensive when someone wants you to speak up?

Flame_AC

What mounting pressure? And who's potentially bandwagoning now?

Vote: Flame_AC

I'm using my vote to put pressure on you, as I believe you currently have the most votes, to defend your actions. No one worries about a single vote as it isn't likely to bare any consequence, having a couple extra, even though you know they are fluid, make a significant difference. Also, voting me is not exactly the best way I'd go about defending myself. It looks bad if you suddenly have gone from Neuromancer, a previous pseudo-bandwagon, to me, the person who had most recently voted for you and was pushing for more information.

Why, I do declare, where on this accursed pebble is Mr. Castamere? Only top men will get us off this island! I've heard that he comes highly recommended as a dashing no-nonsense crypt-keeper and gumshoe expert in runology, you know.

+++++++++++++++++++++++
FOR YOUR EYES ONLY

[Mark 1 Project]

SOLUTE1: Dd... Halve #2nd = CoMManDD Post #__, then div. by 7 = WARNING: Minimum number of warships in bound, verified -/- DO NOT MIX WITH ID_SOLUTION
SOLUTE2: IN-SITU ORANGE MIC REFERS TO STATE ASSOCIATE, EXTRAPOLATE WITH RESEARCH <-> MIX WITH SOLVENT -> for ID_SOLUTION (do not divulge)
SOLUTE3: To customer #25, dinner cannot be served by the kitchen, we already thoroughly explained that you must provide.

Roger Bravo. I'm hearing you loud and clear. Targeting system has been recalibrated to align with updated mission parameters.

Sorian

Banned

+++++++++++++++++++++++
FOR YOUR EYES ONLY

[Mark 1 Project]

I think you're insane.

Roger Bravo. I'm hearing you loud and clear. Targeting system has been recalibrated to align with updated mission parameters.

And I question whether you actually figured out his puzzle. Though I get the feeling it was something only you could solve.

Flame_AC

I'll be back in a bit, just want to fourth the idea of Lone Prodigy sharing his thoughts; the more he doesn't, the more suspicious, deserved or not, it will seem.

Well you have 3-4 votes on you. Myself included. It looked like Flame had the situation handled but since you are going to use your vote to lash out, I might as well throw my hat into the ring. I've asked twice for you to speak up now:

And you've chosen to ignore both even though you most likely read them since you claimed your reason to unvote Neuro was because you admit that what you did seemed very bandwagon. Why ignore my requests and why get defensive when someone wants you to speak up?

I unvoted because bandwagons generate discussion, and it became clear that that bandwagon wasn't taking off.

I'm using my vote to put pressure on you, as I believe you currently have the most votes, to defend your actions. No one worries about a single vote as it isn't likely to bare any consequence, having a couple extra, even though you know they are fluid, make a significant difference. Also, voting me is not exactly the best way I'd go about defending myself. It looks bad if you suddenly have gone from Neuromancer, a previous pseudo-bandwagon, to me, the person who had most recently voted for you and was pushing for more information.

I voted for you for starting a bandwagon because you voted for me for starting a bandwagon.

Sorian

Banned
I unvoted because bandwagons generate discussion, and it became clear that that bandwagon wasn't taking off.

I voted for you for starting a bandwagon because you voted for me for starting a bandwagon.

You voted for a bandwagon that had just lost a member. When called out on it, you became extremely defensive. I can see where it would be seen as Flame jumping on a bandwagon as well and we can come back to him, but you've offered no thoughts about your take on the game so far and that coupled with the unneeded defense is making people question your motives.

RetroMG

They do? I would think that Bandwagons end discussion. Don't get me wrong, we're going to have to do it eventually, since we're mostly all in agreement that we need to lynch today. But not yet.

nin1000

Banned
It has been now hours since anyone has posted something. Is everyone asleep ?
thought now was the time to be active, since i am at work !

RetroMG

It has been now hours since anyone has posted something. Is everyone asleep ?
thought now was the time to be active, since i am at work !

....?

Nin, there have been nine posts in the last hour.

Unless you meant for this post to go on the Mafia board? ;)

nin1000

Banned
Oh hell nvm , my brower did not refresh for hours lol.

They do? I would think that Bandwagons end discussion. Don't get me wrong, we're going to have to do it eventually, since we're mostly all in agreement that we need to lynch today. But not yet.

I agree completely , bandwagoning just leads to everyone agreeing that the accused person is fishy and no one will argue against that and just roll with it.

nin1000

Banned
....?

Nin, there have been nine posts in the last hour.

Unless you meant for this post to go on the Mafia board? ;)

i spammed F5 for the last hours and nothing came up, went to the gaming board to check on some trailers and then BAM. saw that my browser cant handle the F5 key : I

Sorian

Banned
I agree completely , bandwagoning just leads to everyone agreeing that the accused person is fishy and no one will argue against that and just roll with it.

It has it's place. If a skinny kid sits on you (1 vote) then it might be annoying but you don't have to work that hard to shake that kid off. If a really fat kid sits on you (13 votes) then it's impossible to breath and make any type of case for yourself. It's all about finding that happy medium so that the person really feels the weight but can still struggle appropriately.

You voted for a bandwagon that had just lost a member. When called out on it, you became extremely defensive. I can see where it would be seen as Flame jumping on a bandwagon as well and we can come back to him, but you've offered no thoughts about your take on the game so far and that coupled with the unneeded defense is making people question your motives.

I voted according to the last vote count posted, where Neuromancer had the most votes. You had just voted for someone else (without unvoting), so I missed it.

I'm keeping my vote on Flame. He didn't unvote until I did and I didn't even have the most votes when he voted for me. It seems to be his modus operandi: subtly add to a potential bandwagon without antagonizing anyone ("I just agree with the other guy who voted but nothing's going to happen anyway so don't sweat it, oh by the way this is me being active").

Bandwagons start plenty of discussion. Why are we starting one? Who started it? What does the bandwagoned have to say? Perhaps my definition is a little different: I think those who contribute to the start of one are the most suspicious. No one questions a rock already barreling downhill, but who pushed it to the edge and gave it a nudge?

Sorian

Banned
I voted according to the last vote count posted, where Neuromancer had the most votes. You had just voted for someone else (without unvoting), so I missed it.

I'm keeping my vote on Flame. He didn't unvote until I did and I didn't even have the most votes when he voted for me. It seems to be his modus operandi: subtly add to a potential bandwagon without antagonizing anyone ("I just agree with the other guy who voted but nothing's going to happen anyway so don't sweat it, oh by the way this is me being active").

Bandwagons start plenty of discussion. Why are we starting one? Who started it? What does the bandwagoned have to say? Perhaps my definition is a little different: I think those who contribute to the start of one are the most suspicious. No one questions a rock already barreling downhill, but who pushed it to the edge and gave it a nudge?

*Talks about how Flame is real sketchy because he jumped on a bandwagon already in progress*

*Goes on to explain that the person/people that start a bandwagon are really the most suspicious*

No one take me the wrong way here, I have no real opinion of Flame one way or the other yet so this is in no way meant to be a defense for him. This is more trying to figure out what Prodigy here is on about. With the reasoning you gave here, I'd think Droplet or I would be the top of your shit list, but you skipped us and went to Flame. It could just be that he attacked you most recently and you are using your vote to attack back but I feel like it's more than that.

*Talks about how Flame is real sketchy because he jumped on a bandwagon already in progress*

*Goes on to explain that the person/people that start a bandwagon are really the most suspicious*

No one take me the wrong way here, I have no real opinion of Flame one way or the other yet so this is in no way meant to be a defense for him. This is more trying to figure out what Prodigy here is on about. With the reasoning you gave here, I'd think Droplet or I would be the top of your shit list, but you skipped us and went to Flame. It could just be that he attacked you most recently and you are using your vote to attack back but I feel like it's more than that.

I noticed your vote and Droplet's, but Flame piled on after I responded and unvoted. And if he's going to vote me for piling on, then I'm doing the same.

I wouldn't say I'm any less suspicious than Flame, but I haven't posted as much fluff as he has and I haven't piled onto every burgeoning bandwagon. I can see how my vote looks retaliatory, but if I wasn't the one with votes I'd likely do the same.

I got no bites on my GreatCharleston case, but I shared the suspicions about Prodigy's vote. His defense isn't making me feel any better. Not sure if he's Cult or just overly defensive, but for now:

VOTE: Lone_Prodigy

I also don't like Blarg leading the votes, so a Prodigy vote solves that.

RetroMG

Unfortunately, we do not. We also don't know what roles or how many roles are in play.

In the absence of other information, I am assuming 3-4 cultists with the possibility of a "Lost Partner" who can be activated by the cultists.

Just seems to have been the pattern for Gafia. I could be entirely wrong, but that's why we call it an assumption.

Sorian

Banned
In the absence of other information, I am assuming 3-4 cultists with the possibility of a "Lost Partner" who can be activated by the cultists.

Just seems to have been the pattern for Gafia. I could be entirely wrong, but that's why we call it an assumption.

Swamped would be so proud that this is catching on.

I noticed your vote and Droplet's, but Flame piled on after I responded and unvoted. And if he's going to vote me for piling on, then I'm doing the same.

I wouldn't say I'm any less suspicious than Flame, but I haven't posted as much fluff as he has and I haven't piled onto every burgeoning bandwagon. I can see how my vote looks retaliatory, but if I wasn't the one with votes I'd likely do the same.

I've seen all I can from this line of attack, I think. For now, I'm going to retreat. I have a few more people who have been flying under the radar that I'm interested in but now is as good a time as any.

VOTE: Flame_AC

I'm latching on to you for two reasons. First, you have a vote on you already, so now is the best time to apply pressure. Second, before this whole Prodigy thing came up, I can't recall you having made any meaningful observations. I just took a quick look through your post history and yeah, I don't see much in the way of real thoughts.

My question for you is simple, ignoring everything after post 451 (I choose that post because Lone Prodigy gets brought up in the next one), give me a single person or a shortlist of who stands out the most to you as possible cult and why.

I believe the ratio of town to mafia is generally 4:1 in most games? For balance reasons. I think 4-5 mafia is likely. Although of course there is the possibility of neutrals but let's not get too ahead of ourselves now.

Considering we're now approaching the 24hr mark and some people have yet to check in, I'm beginning to wonder if all the mafia have already posted at least once. They would be more invested in appearing to be at least a bit active or at least saying 'I have thoughts that I will divulge at a later date/time when I have fabricated them'.

And I question whether you actually figured out his puzzle. Though I get the feeling it was something only you could solve.

In some ways the post is very easy to understand even if you can't crack the code, it's right there in convoluted English.

But remember the words of the man in command
(do not divulge)

4mhTwIj.gif

Sorian

Banned
In some ways the post is very easy to understand even if you can't crack the code, it's right there in convoluted English.

But remember the words of the man in command
(do not divulge)

4mhTwIj.gif

Ugh, I get the feeling this is more obvious than I'm giving it credit for.

It's a bit impenetrable, but don't be worried, I'm not leading you on a wild goose chase! The 3 pieces of info you may potentially find are 100%-verified. At this point, you can probably guess how. ;o

I'm about to name some people for things. However, note that my reasons behind selecting the following targets have no relation whatsoever to the info found in my puzzle:

• If there is a switcher role among you, I need you to switch me with Sorian during Night 1.
  • If there is an arsonist among you, I want you to douse Tucah.
  • If there is an investigator role among you, I need you to investigate Never Forever; if you're a 'suspicious activity' monitor, I need you to watch Darryl tonight.
  • Any doctor present needs to protect either OceanicAir or Matt Attack tonight.
  • If you're a cultist, I suggest killing RetroMG, ultron87 or Neuromancer.
I chose 6 of these 9 suggested targets at random; the remaining 3 were selected based on my own deductions from your discussions and posting behaviours. I'm not going to share my thoughts.

I don't want any of you to waste time discussing my suggestions. Honestly, don't waste your time. Just choose to do it tonight or not. A fully-faithful execution of my Night 1 plan will result in two dead townspeople. You'll get the information you need.

And finally, if I end up as the majority vote to lynch today or end up dead tonight, I want you to rename Barrylocke after me.

*shuts off slightly-barbequed HAM radio*

Timeaisis

I just had a thought. What if the cultists are controlling who gets the item and they have to give it to a tourist each night? This would solve the issue that Fire brought up earlier. If its not a single player controlling it but the whole team then one person dying won't affect the game mechanic.

Well that would certainly fit with the theme. I think it's wise to not read too much into the Crazy Orb until we either get more clarification from Darryl, get more clarification from it's next owner, or feel one of it's effects. For now, let's be mindful as we continue to play.

+++++++++++++++++++++++
FOR YOUR EYES ONLY

[Mark 1 Project]

Well, this looks to be directed at LoC for whatever reason, so he may very well be the only one that can interpret it, but I'm going to try anyway.

I'm not sure whether your being overly defensive or just because you don't want to be perceived as bandwagoning, but, it is slightly suspicious.

Now this is where things get interesting,

Vote: Lone Prodigy

It appears to me that you are simply changing your vote due to the mounting pressure on you for potentially bandwagoning, if you were trying to follow the flow of the game by voting on the popular pick at the moment, it's not going to work.

And now you are bandwagoning as well. I mean, that's fine. It happens. Just thought I should let you know in case people start calling you out on it and you decide to change your vote. Especially since you jumped on the chance to vote for prodigy, but hadn't really said much before that.

As a reminder to everyone, we've got plenty of time left. No pressure to get in a vote immediately if you don't feel particularly compelled.

Droplet

I've noticed we haven't seen much (if any?) in the way of posts from OrangeYouGlad and Afrocious. If neither of them have contributed anything later on somebody (Zatoth, hopefully) should ping them to let them know.

I'll keep my vote on Lone_Prodigy for now, but I'm feeling more that he was just skimming the topic and made his post based on that and after people began questioning him he responded more. I'll take it off if I find a more interesting target or it seems like too many people are on him.

So a question before we start getting closer to people having more votes. Is it better to end the day early with a majority or let the day phase ride out until the end so we can get as much information as possible? Personally I feel letting the day phase go out its full extent will be best, but I could understand if we were mostly settled on someone to lynch and people thought we just wouldn't get any more information if we let it ride out.

Sorian

Banned
So a question before we start getting closer to people having more votes. Is it better to end the day early with a majority or let the day phase ride out until the end so we can get as much information as possible? Personally I feel letting the day phase go out its full extent will be best, but I could understand if we were mostly settled on someone to lynch and people thought we just wouldn't get any more information if we let it ride out.

For day 1, I would say we should aim to go the full time just so we have as much information as possible. Ending early would be something we should consider later once we've narrowed down the search field.

It's a bit impenetrable, but don't be worried, I'm not leading you on a wild goose chase! The 3 pieces of info you may potentially find are 100%-verified. At this point, you can probably guess how. ;o

I'm about to name some people for things. However, note that my reasons behind selecting the following targets have no relation whatsoever to the info found in my puzzle:

• If there is a switcher role among you, I need you to switch me with Sorian during Night 1.
  • If there is an arsonist among you, I want you to douse Tucah.
  • If there is an investigator role among you, I need you to investigate Never Forever; if you're a 'suspicious activity' monitor, I need you to watch Darryl tonight.
  • Any doctor present needs to protect either OceanicAir or Matt Attack tonight.
  • If you're a cultist, I suggest killing RetroMG, ultron87 or Neuromancer.
I chose 6 of these 9 suggested targets at random; the remaining 3 were selected based on my own deductions from your discussions and posting behaviours. I'm not going to share my thoughts.

I don't want any of you to waste time discussing my suggestions. Honestly, don't waste your time. Just choose to do it tonight or not. A fully-faithful execution of my Night 1 plan will result in two dead townspeople. You'll get the information you need.

And finally, if I end up as the majority vote to lynch today or end up dead tonight, I want you to rename Barrylocke after me.

*shuts off slightly-barbequed HAM radio*

Huh, you know what, I urge everyone to do what he says and I also call that we don't lynch him. He may wind up dead during the night phase which is going to provide more information.

Top Bottom