• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

Was practicing some Nero vs Credo shit and later on when I stopped and finished the level I'd gotten an "Enemy Handicap" penalty. :V

Anyone know what that entails? I'm pretty shit at this game and that's news to me.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Looks like we've fnally been banished to Community. :(

After spending 20 minutes practicing I seem to have a hand on being able to do just judgement cuts for the most part. This should make the rest of my run through the campaign easier.

Nice! Keep at it and things will really open up for you!

Laputa_94

Nice! Keep at it and things will really open up for you!

Thanks, I am a big fan of character action its just I usually don't take the time to learn how to do expert techniques. But DMC 4 is really grabbing my attention partly due to it being my first time through the game, and having the multiple characters.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Was practicing some Nero vs Credo shit and later on when I stopped and finished the level I'd gotten an "Enemy Handicap" penalty. :V

Anyone know what that entails? I'm pretty shit at this game and that's news to me.

Enemy handicap happens if you use too many continues. The game decreases the difficulty if you die repeatedly. This does not happen on DMD, I don't believe.

Thanks, I am a big fan of character action its just I usually don't take the time to learn how to do expert techniques. But DMC 4 is really grabbing my attention partly due to it being my first time through the game, and having the multiple characters.

If this is your first time, I'd suggest going through with Nero/Dante for the first time, since then you'll experience the story. The game is better balanced around Nero/Dante gameplay wise as well (aside from Legendary Dark Knight mode). Vergil is pretty overpowered. :p

I always have trouble with Alto Angelos. Don't know the best time to stun them and they always escape combos.

I have trouble sticking with the game. I only play for 30-60 minutes at a time and never improve at Vergil.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I always have trouble with Alto Angelos. Don't know the best time to stun them and they always escape combos.

I have trouble sticking with the game. I only play for 30-60 minutes at a time and never improve at Vergil.

Did you watch the tutorial video I posted on the last page? It's really a good way to get started with Vergil.

Vergil can stunlock almost all enemies just by Rapid Slashing and canceling the recovery into teleport over and over again. This includes Alto Angelos as well. ANY time an Alto Angelo moves away from Vergil, you can literally press the teleport button to close distance instantly.

I've watched it, I just don't know how to get out of impulsively doing launcher and basic combos. I don't really know how many options Vergil has out of a typical launcher.

But when are Altos vulnerable to flinching otherwise? And how do you keep them from escaping combos?

Laputa_94

If this is your first time, I'd suggest going through with Nero/Dante for the first time, since then you'll experience the story. The game is better balanced around Nero/Dante gameplay wise as well (aside from Legendary Dark Knight mode). Vergil is pretty overpowered. :p

I actually did that first, and I certainly see what you mean by it being balenced around those 2, with Vergil being more powerful. When starting out I definitely had a while before I got decent at the combat again since the last action game I played was Bayo 2 which is really easier to dodge in. But once I got to Dante I got back in form since I am already used to his moveset

The NeoGAF DMC4:SE CMV:
Starting August 1st(today) you have until the end of August(31st) to submit 1-3 videos showing off the best combo(s) you can come up with.

Time to get creative with Nero then. GGXrd has been taking up most of my time recently so hopping back into DMC will be interesting.

After seeing some of the crazy stuff in the tourney i look forward to more stylish GAF gameplay!

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I've watched it, I just don't know how to get out of impulsively doing launcher and basic combos. I don't really know how many options Vergil has out of a typical launcher.

But when are Altos vulnerable to flinching otherwise? And how do you keep them from escaping combos?

I think that really just comes with practice. It sounds almost like a mental block. Vergil can do anything he wants off of a standard launcher. There's really too much to list off, but he can judgment cut, he can summon sword, he can spiral sword, he can weapon swap, he can teleport up. It can be hard to break your muscle memory, but just trying different things in Bloody Palace can help.

Any strong or multi hitting move can cause Alto Angelo to flinch and break their armored moves. If they fly off, you just need to chase by hitting teleport. Vergil has the easiest time with this.

Mission 9 on Son of Sparda is the only place that feels like it's slanted against Vergil and Nero would have the advantage. The room where you first get the Chrono key. Tons of swords flying around while you have to fight a stream of Angelos.

Rean

Finally beat the game a second time after the play asia version got to my house. I'm slowly getting used to Dante and switching styles and weapons even faster now, and I'm timing my Table Hopping and MAX ACTs with Nero better. I really like how Dante has every style and weapon at his disposal in this as opposed to using certain styles and weapons at a time in DMC3, even if its harder to manage. The JP song that plays every 10 floors in BP is refreshing to hear too.

Seyavesh

tfw when you realize direction changing in guard flying is done by air hiking+guarding and not sky starring again

boy howdy does that explain a lot

...though i still can't get the enemy tracking direction change to work . releasing the lockon doesn't automatically move me towards 'em- i gotta do it manually

edit:
is it normal for lance angelos (the knight dudes?) to just break out of your combo after enough hits?
there's some weird crap going on with using v-divider on them midair to where they're just immediately drop into a grounded attack from any height in the air if you ever do it on 'em
HY1D96y.gif

Son Of D

Just got an email from Amazon UK about the 3142 artbook again. It's now releasing in September this year, the 24th to be exact. Which is just after TGS (TGS is 16th - 20th of September).

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Just got an email from Amazon UK about the 3142 artbook again. It's now releasing in September this year, the 24th to be exact. Which is just after TGS (TGS is 16th - 20th of September).

Same here for Amazon US. It's happening. It's gotta be. We've been speculating for a while, but the most recent quarterly report only reinforces it. DMC5 will be at TGS. It only makes sense that they would tell investors that DMC4SE sold well of they were about to announce a new title. They also emphasized MH sales and RER2 sales, which makes sense given MHX and a potential new RE title.

edit:
is it normal for lance angelos (the knight dudes?) to just break out of your combo after enough hits?
there's some weird crap going on with using v-divider on them midair to where they're just immediately drop into a grounded attack from any height in the air if you ever do it on 'em
HY1D96y.gif

I guess it might be the weight of the Angelos causing the pull portion of the V divider to whiff? Does it do the same thing at a distance? The fact that V Divider has so many unique hits in one motion can create unusual scenarios depending on what whiffs. It's really odd that they'd just go back into standing attack state.

Seyavesh

welp you know what that means
here we go again
vxRAwo8.gif

I guess it might be the weight of the Angelos causing the pull portion of the V divider to whiff? Does it do the same thing at a distance? The fact that V Divider has so many unique hits in one motion can create unusual scenarios depending on what whiffs. It's really odd that they'd just go back into standing attack state.
v-divider doesn't pull them at all, ever. even if they're in the stunned state. it triggers the attack from far away too, yeah
i'd imagine there's just some quirk about angelos and v-divider to where something broke when divider pulled 'em so they disabled the pull vs. angelos
i also learned through experimentation that the juggle that huangRS did in his vid on an angelo is actually easy to recreate due to the bizarre hurtbox they have- it's something very specific to angelos

gunbo13

Looks like we've fnally been banished to Community. :(
Sent to the dungeon as quickly as possible.

Or you could create fake sibling OT threads like what Bloodborne did in order to dodge the community smack. "New players to Devil May Cry, how's it hanging?"

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Sent to the dungeon as quickly as possible.

Or you could create fake sibling OT threads like what Bloodborne did in order to dodge the community smack. "New players to Devil May Cry, how's it hanging?"

Hah, well we had a decent run. Well over a month, which is the standard. Maybe they waited until after the style tournament was over. With TGS around the corner, I'm sure most will migrate to the thread of a potential announcement.

i also learned through experimentation that the juggle that huangRS did in his vid on an angelo is actually easy to recreate due to the bizarre hurtbox they have- it's something very specific to angelos

The invisible canceled pandora beam hitbox? So it may have been hitting weirdly because of the wonkiness of the Angelos. Now that you mention it, the angelos were never designed to be pulled, which is why Nero's Snatch pulls him towards the Angelos rather than the other way around. So you might be right and the game just doesn't know how to deal with it.

Seyavesh

The invisible canceled pandora beam hitbox? So it may have been hitting weirdly because of the wonkiness of the Angelos. Now that you mention it, the angelos were never designed to be pulled, which is why Nero's Snatch pulls him towards the Angelos rather than the other way around. So you might be right and the game just doesn't know how to deal with it.

yeah, the way they juggle looks exactly like the vid even. something is just really bizarre about their hurtbox- doing trish's air rave off a launcher too quickly actually causes the second hit to whiff and the angelo to drop like a rock through the third attack.
they also don't get launched by pandora rockets or darts ever which i suppose is mildly related to the pulling issue. it'd be annoying if it didn't make them prime targets to rapid rocket against to build up my DT gauge super fast.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Someone needs to bust out that hype chariot and edit it to say TGS.

By the way, just a little over 2 hours to get Trish entries submitted for the Capcom Unity Style Tournament!

Seyavesh

man i feel real dumb, i totally didn't put two and two together until now in realizing that obviously round trip and v-divider could be used to buffer reverse pandora beam- meaning basic stuff like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynkJMbqLx2k can be used more commonly and in more clever ways than i can think of by folks

you can actually reverse pandora beam raw dog too but it's actually hard and weird to do alongside not being particularly useful in setting up cool juggles

BadWolf

Did you guys watch the gameplay footage for Scalebound?

Looks like Kamiya is trying to make a Dragon's Dogma and it looks very underwhelming, especially in terms of combat.

Sephzilla

Looks like Kamiya is trying to make a Dragon's Dogma and it looks very underwhelming, especially in terms of combat.

Just wait until a different director takes over the sequel who makes it better like what happened to DMC and Bayonetta

photo-53883.png

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

It's still way early. I think it looks fine so far. A little underwhelming, but the mechanics and abilities probably aren't all there.

Delaying an artbook to potentially increase sales via franchise momentum after a big announcement? That doesn't sound like Capcom, it's too smart. I'mma stay reserved just now.

It has promise, but I'm going to have to see more. Fix the framerate, show off more features (you know there's gonna be an on-rails section riding the dragon right?), make the world interesting and a lot more to make it appealing to me. The main character is pretty bland aswell, here's hoping he'll have some funny dialogue with his pet dragon to save him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_ha9b-pEQ4
How did I do with this. Kinda messed up, I am trying to recreate my SSS ending on him.

Every time I'm up against Credo, I just cheese him with rapid slashes and Judgement Cut Ends. He counters normal Judgement Cuts so I don't really use them so much. That video was from a while ago, now I use Heavy Rain Swords to pin him since he's powerless against them.

Dahbomb

It's not like either Dragons Dogma or DMC to be honest.

The combat was pretty meh against the goons as well. I wouldn't havr thought it was a Kamiya game with that combat and framerate.

But the game looks gorgeous though.

Golnei

Just wait until a different director takes over the sequel who makes it better like what happened to DMC and Bayonetta

We'll actually get a mobile Scalebound-den instead.

It's still way early. I think it looks fine so far. A little underwhelming, but the mechanics and abilities probably aren't all there.

It doesn't necessarily look bad, I agree; but I do hope that it's an unrepresentatively early part of the game they're showing, similar to how combat looks for the first few hours in Dragon's Dogma.

Hey so, sorry about leaving this late
MoYXpnK.png

(Yes it was made in paint)

Here is our chance for a NeoGAF Collaboration CMV.
If you're unsure of what one of these is, here is an example. Much like that, I wanna make a video featuring all of you. A video that will showcase the very best of what the NeoGAF DMC4 community has to offer.

FAQs
Q) Who can enter?
A) Only members within the NeoGAF community. No outsiders.

Q) I want to enter. How many videos can I submit?
A) 3. Each player has a limit of 3 videos that they can submit. This means you can submit 1 video if that's all you can come up with. I want as many people to be featured as possible, even it means you have one combo section lasting 20 seconds.

Q) What are the character restrictions?
A) None. This is a completely open CMV. If you wanna use Super Nero on Normal speed fighting Basilisks on HaH difficulty, by means do. Most people will play on Turbo DMD, but again, this is completely open. Have as much fun as you can on a difficulty, stage and/or character setting that suits you. You can submit 3 Nero combo videos, or 2 Vergil and 1 Dante. Just so long as it's a maximum of 3.

Q) What are the enemy restrictions
A) Any enemy that you can combo and make look interesting to style on. This usually means no bosses but if you can make a boss fight interesting or can combo them, do so.

Q) What are game restrictions?
A) I know a lot of you here are PC players, so please no debug menu combos. Feel free to use costume modes or any cosmetic changes. Just nothing that changes the way the game runs(This really only applies to PC players)

Q) How long should my video(s) last?
A) It's a bit hard to say but I think any single combo video that lasts over 60 seconds is a bit much. Imagine we have a 10 minute video and one of your videos 1/10 of the length. I'm not saying don't make them long or that 60 seconds is too much, but make them brief and concise.

Q) What can I use to record? Quality settings?
A) For us console plebs we can use the built in Game DVR that the Xbox One and PS4 have. Or you can use a capture. For PC players, you can use any software you like.
As for quality, please make it as best as possible. 720p minimum or at least a quality that doesn't look like we're in 1995.

Q) Who will edit this together?
A) Me (BumblebeeCody/Mariotaz/Taz(real name).

Q) I have my 1/2/3 combo(s), how do I submit them?
A) Upload your video file to a file hosting website such as Mega or Media fire. Send me a PM and I'll download it so I edit it.

Q) How much input do I have on the creation of the video?
A) As much as you can offer. Even though it'll be me making the CMV, if you have a recommended song you think would be cool or you want certain text to appear and represent you(plug your Twitch/YouTube channel in the credits) then let me know. I'll be doing updates just to let you all know how it's going too.

Q) Aren't you just doing this for your own YouTube?
A) The idea is that once I've finished editing the video, I'll provide everyone with a download link so they can download it and upload it to their own channel too. It's for everyone to show off :)

Q) OK So what's the deadline for my submission?
A) You from now (August 4th) to (August 31st) to submit your video(s) to me.

Note:
1) Work hard on this. I wanna see some sick combos. Combos that you spent hours on to perfectly refine. Just for a few 30 second clips I've spent 5 or so hours on. I'm not saying you have to do the same, but you have a month to really up your game and make some special.
2) I wanna see as many people participate. Even if I only get 2 other people submitting combos, that's fine by me(easy editing then). But if we get a decent amount of people showing off their tech, that'd be awesome :)
3) Have faith in your own abilities. Basically, don't get put off by the higher pro players out there. This is a video for us and by us. Submit a combo video you're happy with regardless of other peoples skill.
4) Be creative. Experiment as much as possible with your character(s)
5) Have fun

I think that's everything.
Get going guys!

Laputa_94

Just finished my playthrough with Vergil got a S rank on the last mission and that's good enough for me (Son of Sparda). This was my first time playing Vergil since I only played Dante on dmc 3, and damn he is fun to play as once you get the hang out it. Not sure if I'll play Lady/Trish right away. I'll make sure to get some combos for the cmv though, no guarantees of the quality of the combos.

It's not like either Dragons Dogma or DMC to be honest.

The combat was pretty meh against the goons as well. I wouldn't havr thought it was a Kamiya game with that combat and framerate.

But the game looks gorgeous though.
That framerate made me want to vomit. We back in the N64 days... Perfect Dark with 8 bots and 4 player split screen = 8 fps max.

Trolling Credo with Vergil. He just can't attack Vergil with all the Force Edge Parries Vergil puts in.

He gets pretty fierce once he's down to quarter of HP. Plus his shield charge move is pretty annoying.

Otherwise I feel like I have a pretty good handle on him. Just wish I could do something more fun against him than just repeating Drive and Over Drive. Too effective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWizwt0qe8w also this happened lol

Congrats for making it to the top 5 GuardianE!
In terms of gameplay mechanics, Trish is what we call a "young" character. Nevertheless, each of our Top Five entrants made her look smokin', sick, and stylish, all in the course of sixty seconds.

See our Top Five after the jump, and remember to vote before the deadline this Friday!

Voting Deadline: Friday, August 7th at noon (PT).

Hiimtab
GuardianE
GarudaPSN
GamerIzzy42
Mariotaz
Capcom Unity

AAK

I thought it looked incredible. It's not trying to be a Bayonetta/DMC/MGR style game at all. I can totally see myself buying an Xbone just for that... especially if it'll be possible to simply get on the dragon and fly anywhere like those floating islands in real time.

I think Scalebound will even be able to compete against The Last Guardian for the companion AI and world building.

I can't have much of an opinion on Scalebound until that framerate is fixed and we see more of the combat.

How good is Vergil's Shoryureppa? Is it basically the go-to damage-dealer against Blitz and stunned bosses?

And the worst part about MAX-Act is not knowing whether you were too early or too late.

Sesha

Massive congratulations to Seyavesh, GuardianE and BumblebeeCody for making it to the top 5 of the Trish round. NeoGAF mad representin', yo. Watching those submissions makes me ish I could play this game right now. Trish despite her moveswap mod-y nature looks so fun with her weird ass properties.

And congrats to the winners of the GAF style tourney and all the entrants, and a massive thanks and props to direct_quote for originating and setting the whole thing up.

As for Scalebound, it's an ARPG, not a character action game. I'm as disappointed as everyone else that it's not the Dragon May Cry we were hoping for, but it is what it is at this point. Complaints about the framerate are understandable, but ultimately pointless and premature, as the footage shon was labeled pre-alpha. The game is clearly far off. I don't believe it's releasing in holiday 2016. Q1/2 2017 seems more likely. Though ultimately, Microsoft fucked up showing the game off in that state. I wonder what they were thinking. Watching the conference footage it doesn't seem that bad, but the direct feed has some PS1 license game-level stuttering.

ShinMaruku

After seeing that Vergil is in Project X Zone and how Capcom failed to pair him with Morrigan, now I must joke that's how Nero was born. :E

Seyavesh

dang, everyone got in the capcom unity tournament lol

i think i found a combo concept that i'll use for the combo vid but the way frosts pop out of combos in DMD vs. in other modes makes me wary about it- is there a way to like, make it so they don't do that shit?
lower difficulty health is too small for the concept

or rather, it'll just look kinda lame because it'll be one thing and that's it

Top Bottom