• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stuck in the Past - a 33 RPM thread for vinyl listeners and collectors

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
As of 8am yesterday morning, my Wilco collection is..... COMPLETE!!!!!!!!!! Look here's proof:

That's all 8 studio albums, the three Mermaid Avenue albums, the Alpha Mike Foxtrot rarities and b-sides boxset, Kicking Television live album boxset, and the 10" Speak Into Roses. For now... I wait for the Star Wars vinyl release in November....
Speaking of Star Wars, that album sounds like it was made for vinyl. Warm & fuzzy & buzzy, I might have to get that when it comes out, its been a while since a Wilco album struck me so hard.

Speaking of Star Wars, that album sounds like it was made for vinyl. Warm & fuzzy & buzzy, I might have to get that when it comes out, its been a while since a Wilco album struck me so hard.

Yeah same, their last few albums were all a little ho-hum. But this album is my favourite since A Ghost Is Born. I really wish my first listen could have been on vinyl.

Had a day yesterday. Convinced someone on eBay to meet up locally and sell this baby to me for $400:

Jp5DOLC.jpg

dvwCS16.jpg

I noticed in the pictures it appeared someone had upgraded the stylus to a Blue from the original Red, which I thought was weird not to mention in the listing. I was right, it's a Blue:

Turned out it was a young woman recently divorced selling all her ex-husbands shit. There were about a dozen nice guitars, 5 or more nice turntables, some insane audio gear both modern and vintage. She said he just started coming home with the shit, and she didn't approve. If I had had more money on me I would have tried to make a bid on some of the vintage receivers. I didn't, and she knew there was value in it so I wasn't going to be getting a great deal any way.

I did get some cleaning shit for free from her:

And went through all the records, taking what I wanted for 50 cents a piece:

There were some 7" Eagles and Star Wars stuff I got, too.

Pretty great day. Until the drive home:

When the people behind me apparently didn't know you were supposed to stop at red lights.

Fuck.

I see New on Vinyl is taking preorders for To Pimp a Butterfly for like, $40.
Is there a chance i can find it cheaper anywhere else? (official, please)

teiresias

So I just moved into my first house and was considering setting up a Sonos system, but after thinking about it I don't entertain enough nor have a big enough house to make it worth it. However, since the living room is going to have a whole mid-century modern decorating vibe, and I've been interested in getting into vinyl for a while I thought I'd maybe get a setup to go in the living room for listening in there. My living room has no tv or anything like that since that's separated into a media/gaming room in one of the extra bedrooms (ah, a bachelor's life!), so I won't have an existing sound system in there.

What do people think of the bundles available at Turntable Lab? Actually, I wasn't really considering one of their pre-done bundles, but just getting Pro-ject Debut Carbon, a phono-preamp, and the AudioEngine A5+ powered speakers. This keeps me from having to fit a larger "real" amp in the space, but I'm not sure if this seriously impacts sound quality (because what other reason is there to bother with vinyl - aside from the packaging really?). I figure, even if I eventually upgrade the AudioEngines to better speakers plus a separate/better amp, then I can move the AudioEngines to the PC in the office.

Any opinions on this? I credit iam8bit with making me drool over that Journey OST vinyl for causing this ruckus!!!
KuGsj.gif

omgkitty

I'm selling my Hotline Miami 2 soundtrack unopened, close to cost if anyone is interested?
Am I allowed to do that here?

ryuen

So I just moved into my first house and was considering setting up a Sonos system, but after thinking about it I don't entertain enough nor have a big enough house to make it worth it. However, since the living room is going to have a whole mid-century modern decorating vibe, and I've been interested in getting into vinyl for a while I thought I'd maybe get a setup to go in the living room for listening in there. My living room has no tv or anything like that since that's separated into a media/gaming room in one of the extra bedrooms (ah, a bachelor's life!), so I won't have an existing sound system in there.

What do people think of the bundles available at Turntable Lab? Actually, I wasn't really considering one of their pre-done bundles, but just getting Pro-ject Debut Carbon, a phono-preamp, and the AudioEngine A5+ powered speakers. This keeps me from having to fit a larger "real" amp in the space, but I'm not sure if this seriously impacts sound quality (because what other reason is there to bother with vinyl - aside from the packaging really?). I figure, even if I eventually upgrade the AudioEngines to better speakers plus a separate/better amp, then I can move the AudioEngines to the PC in the office.

Any opinions on this? I credit iam8bit with making me drool over that Journey OST vinyl for causing this ruckus!!!
KuGsj.gif

I'm running an Audio Technica LP-120 with the A5's (bought from Turntablelab!) and to me this setup is completely serviceable. For the size & price, the bass that those speakers can produce is pretty remarkable.

8bit

Knows the Score
Got some fun things in the post today:

(That's the Euro Mad Max Fury Road, different from the Mondo one.)

Looking forward to spending some time with Jah Wobble's covers album particularly.

tumblr_nsvu9pnMIm1qbjg07o1_1280.jpg

hawk2025

I did not know about this thread. This is amazing.

I'll post pics of some of my favorites later. I'm particularly fond of the Eluvium boxset :)

Finally got my replacement of In Colours from Amazon. I returned the deluxe edition and went with just the normal single disc 33 version. Played flawless, thank god. It took almost a month but my guess it they had to get the repressing since so many people were returning the first run. I thought the deluxe edition was nice, but i don't know I don't feel the need for the 3 disc 45 version at this point. Having the album on a single disc just feels right.

Atrophis

Finally got my replacement of In Colours from Amazon. I returned the deluxe edition and went with just the normal single disc 33 version. Played flawless, thank god. It took almost a month but my guess it they had to get the repressing since so many people were returning the first run. I thought the deluxe edition was nice, but i don't know I don't feel the need for the 3 disc 45 version at this point. Having the album on a single disc just feels right.

Still yet to pick it up. Single LP version for me too.

This weekend I'll be heading to my local shop to get my Lost River soundtrack that I preordered months ago (think it got delayed four? times). I'll probably also pick up the Mad Max soundtrack if they still have copies.

8bit

Knows the Score
Finally got round to putting one of my favourite albums in a frame to hang (the disc was left leaning against a lamp 20 years ago but I kept it anyway). Kept seeing frames when I was in Urban Outfitters et al. on holiday but never found a place locally selling them.

CMKFii1WEAAI84h.jpg

Anyway, it's the KLF - Chill Out.

Wreav

Banned
Bought my first 45 without realizing it was a 45.

Thought a demon had entered my house for about 2 minutes before I figured out what was going on.

Var

I just picked up a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC a few days ago and have been loving it so far. I still need to get a brush though. Is there one more recommended than others?

Faustcoven (NOR) - The Halo of Burning Wings 2LP (Nuclear War Now! 2010)
Faustcoven (NOR) - Hellfire and Funeral Bells LP (Nuclear War Now! 2012)
Faustcoven (NOR) - Rising from Below the Earth 2LP (Nuclear War Now! 2010)

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
So this months Vinyl Me Please release is Four Tet's "Pink".

NwFdQGSl.jpg

This is the first ever pressing of Four Tet’s critically-acclaimed 2012 album, Pink, to vinyl — an essential album from one of the most influential electronic artists of our generation.

Exclusive VMP-edition features:

180g, 2xLP black vinyl
Half-speed mastered
First-ever vinyl pressing
Original cocktail recipe
12” x 12” original art print from Royal College of Art graduate Danny Augustine

Pretty pumped for this one. As of last time, if anyone is interested in joining the club and wants to receive a free record with your first subscription order, you can hit me up or TheCowboyPoet / tanuki for a referral invite and whoever you signed up with will a receive a free random record as will you.

SIDE NOTE:

Anyone have any good tips for removing records from paper sleeves that are just static'd to hell and back? I've got a bit of smudge onto the grooves of my copy of Cosmogramma, so I'm kinda miffed about that. I've got a half way solution of puffing up the rest of the sleeve with my hand and sliding the record out after removing a bit of static, but it's far from a perfect technique.

Anyone have any good tips for removing records from paper sleeves that are just static'd to hell and back? I've got a bit of smudge onto the grooves of my copy of Cosmogramma, so I'm kinda miffed about that. I've got a half way solution of puffing up the rest of the sleeve with my hand and sliding the record out after removing a bit of static, but it's far from a perfect technique.

I've recently decided to bypass that painful process altogether, and now consider all paper sleeves useless. I tear through the sleeve on either face from the opening downwards, then I tear outwards. Then I just lift the record from the sleeve, and throw the stupid paper sleeve in the recycling bin. Goodbye. Paper sleeves suck!

amnesiac

I've recently decided to bypass that painful process altogether, and now consider all paper sleeves useless. I tear through the sleeve on either face from the opening downwards, then I tear outwards. Then I just lift the record from the sleeve, and throw the stupid paper sleeve in the recycling bin. Goodbye. Paper sleeves suck!

I don't know why I never thought of this. I throw my paper sleeves out anyway so I should just be ripping them off so the record doesn't get scuffed on the way out...

Replacing paper inner sleeves with polybags or something equally awful should be crime punishable by I don't know, replacing records with cds or something.

Something like this:

makes it sound that vinyl records would be brittle as hell, which is completely untrue. If you manage to permanently damage a record by taking it out of the jacket (without you know, dropping it onto the floor and kicking it around couple of times), I am not even mad, I am actually quite amazed.

(I know that I, ironically, sound like a broken record repeating this every few pages but I just really, really hate shitty inner sleeves)

amnesiac

Take a record in and out of a plain paper sleeve 20 times.

Take a record in and out of a MoFi-type sleeve 20 times.

The record in the plain paper sleeve will have visible scuffs due to the abrasiveness of the paper. Sometimes these scuffs will cause surface noise. The record in the MoFi sleeve will have absolutely no visible marks whatsoever.

I do think that those rounded poly sleeves that always come with Japanese pressings aren't very good (since they're a bitch to put back in the jacket), but I don't see how anyone could dislike a sleeve like the Diskeeper Ultimate Audiophile. It has the sturdiness of a paper sleeve and the protection of a poly sleeve.

Between this post and previous posts I've made regarding this subject, it may seem like I'm some crazy collector who only cares about the condition of the records, but... you know if I'm going to pay $20+ for an album, why not throw in an extra dollar and get sleeves that won't damage it over time?

Edit: For the plain paper sleeves, I'm mainly talking about the ones that come with brand new records today. The paper is a lot thicker in these compared to the ones that were released in the 60s-80s.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
^ you guys should start looking through the catalogs from Light In the Attic, Numero, and Soul Jazz (among other less prominent labels). They release loads of great international comps like those.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Speaking of great reissues, I picked up Lizzy Mercier Descloux "Press Color" reissue a few weeks ago. The clerk at Aquarius records was spinning it and I was entranced. Fantastic reissue.

AejKke8l.jpg

Check out her cover of Fire

ngower

Oh I'm totally familiar with Light in the Attic et al. I just can't afford to get their stuff all the time!

I used to blare that "Fire" tune at my old house when I didn't have to worry about neighbors. Sadly that is no longer the case.

Had a few good finds last night: Arthur Russell's "Another Thought"; a Turkish psych-soul comp (Turkish Freakout) that's in okay shape with one side pretty fucked up; a comp "The World's Lousy With Ideas Vol 8" with the Vivian Girls cover; Bronski Beat's "Age of Consent"

Honestly a little disappointed in the Turkish album, especially for the price, as it seems like it wasn't really well taken care of from the past owner. I need to chill on the purchases, spent like $90 in the past few days.

amnesiac

So it's getting to the point where my record brush and little cleaner isn't cutting it anymore. Works nice to get the dust off but a lot of my old albums need a deep cleaning.

What do you guys do to clean records? I've been considering the Spin Clean, but going by a lot of reviews, it's just a glorified dust remover. Even though they're really expensive, I've been thinking about investing in a record cleaning machine. A lot of those manual methods with dish soap and whatnot seem questionable and take up a ton of time: a real record cleaning machine would take care of those problems.

Top Bottom