• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 33, 2015

dolemite

I wonder what is more sad: the fact that Rare Replay dropped over 70% from its debut week or the fact that it remained the top selling title after that drop.

I wonder what is more sad: the fact that Rare Replay dropped over 70% from its debut week or the fact that it remained the top selling title after that drop.

Another reason why there should be more releases during this period. It's just completely dead for the most part. So it's free for the taking if publishers would actually release stuff.

Hasney

Another reason why there should be more releases during this period. It's just completely dead for the most part. So it's free for the taking if publishers would actually release stuff.

But is it? I don't think these publishers are dumb and we've basically got a pack that works out at around 50p a game selling pretty low numbers by week 2. They probably have data that shows releasing now is commercial suicide compared to launching early and late in the year.

Sure, we'd appreciate it, but it the mass market isn't buying, there's not much that can be done.

71% drop for rare replay in a week with no new releases does not seem very good.

You need to understand who buys games on the second week--or after.

1) There's people who couldn't buy it the first week or who just forgot. This number is fixed but can go down further if they delay their purchase another week or change their mind.

2) There's people who didn't plan on buying the game but saw a review or heard something that made them change their mind. (I wouldn't expect a lot here for Rare Replay. You already know what you are getting.)

3) Gifts. Probably not a huge number.

4) People who just got a new console. (Is it a must own game? Maybe not.)

5) People who buy it on sales. (Too early for that.)

6) People who just buy things randomly.

Hasney

Actually, I think the biggest reason for the larger drop is just that it was released on Tuesday. Don't forget Batman dropped 74% under the same circumstances.

But is it? I don't think these publishers are dumb and we've basically got a pack that works out at around 50p a game selling pretty low numbers by week 2. They probably have data that shows releasing now is commercial suicide compared to launching early and late in the year.

Sure, we'd appreciate it, but it the mass market isn't buying, there's not much that can be done.

Arkham Asylum launched in August and was a huge success. I actually thought it would mean that we'd see more games launch around this time of the year. Yet it really hasn't changed.

Actually, I think the biggest reason for the larger drop is just that it was released on Tuesday. Don't forget Batman dropped 74% under the same circumstances.

Totally forgot it was a Tuesday release. Just like I forgot Batman was a Tuesday release.

We get so few and yet it's impossible to remember them.

Hasney

Arkham Asylum launched in August and was a huge success. I actually thought it would mean that we'd see more games launch around this time of the year. Yet it really hasn't changed.

I looked through the NPD and the PAL charts and it didn't seem to do great (the latter has no numbers, so I can't tell for sure). Solid, just nothing amazing. That said, with nothing really out, it's probably a good idea to launch something that you're hoping to become a franchise so it can wave it's arms and get noticed. Then come the next instalment when you've got recognition, you can launch at a better sales time.

Totally forgot it was a Tuesday release. Just like I forgot Batman was a Tuesday release.

We get so few and yet it's impossible to remember them.

Both MGS V and Mad Max are September 1st, so they should have big drops too. Anything lower than 70% should be considered "legs" for either of them based on current evidence.

Speaking of, will either of those games sneak into the previous weeks charts like Rare Replay did in Germany? Because 31st is a bank holiday here, every single online retailer will be shipping on Saturday at the very latest, which is technically when the sale will occur. Do they just hold the numbers into the week after in that situation for the UK?

Steroyd

The Last of Us (PS3) did just fine releasing in that period and basically had summer all to itself with multiple weeks at number 1, it's the time of year where word of mouth echoes ever louder than any other time of the year because it's such a dead period in general.

Hasney

The Last of Us (PS3) did just fine releasing in that period and basically had summer all to itself with multiple weeks at number 1, it's the time of year where word of mouth echoes ever louder than any other time of the year because it's such a dead period in general.

Yeah that's what I'm saying in the post above really, it's a great time to launch a new franchise because you get a lot of people talking about it since there's nothing else to talk about.

But it's quite clear that a summer number 1 is meaningless without numbers. I just think that once you're established, if there's data that means you'll sell only 5 extra copies by launching in the holiday period, they'll take it.

Rare Replay has to be very close to Minecraft: PlayStation Edition which sold 4,420.

01 (01) XBO RARE REPLAY MICROSOFT
14 (13) PS4 MINECRAFT: PLAYSTATION EDITION (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)

How do you work that out?

And in the all formats, RR is at 6, with Minecraft PS4 at 8.

Rare Replay could have sold 100,000, Battlefield Hardline could have sold 20,000, and if nothing else sold more than Minecraft: PlayStation Edition's 4,420 units, then the chart would still look the same.

If you're going to guess, guess with style. Especially if you're using your base number to work out the figure for overall sales in the debut week.

Plus, not to piss on anyone's chips, but y'all are aware that the UK charts don't take digital sales into account, right? So trying to base ANYTHING on the UK published chart other than "which game did people buy most when they went to the supermarket or the one chain of shops that sells videogames" is just comedy.

Lococycle could be the best selling game in the UK last week for all anyone knows.

(If it helps anyone, Tomodachi Life shifted 1,100 copies and ended up at #40.)

Chobel

Rare Replay could have sold 100,000, Battlefield Hardline could have sold 20,000, and if nothing else sold more than Minecraft: PlayStation Edition's 4,420 units, then the chart would still look the same.

If you're going to guess, guess with style. Especially if you're using your base number to work out the figure for overall sales in the debut week.

Plus, not to piss on anyone's chips, but y'all are aware that the UK charts don't take digital sales into account, right? So trying to base ANYTHING on the UK published chart other than "which game did people buy most when they went to the store" is just comedy.

Lococycle could be the best selling game in the UK last week for all anyone knows.

Minecraft: PlayStation Edition is PS4 version and PS3 version.

Also WeylandxYutani said #1 has really low sales.

But is it? I don't think these publishers are dumb and we've basically got a pack that works out at around 50p a game selling pretty low numbers* by week 2. They probably have data that shows releasing now is commercial suicide* compared to launching early and late in the year*.

Sure, we'd appreciate it, but it the mass market isn't buying*, there's not much that can be done.

*at retail.

Hasney

Plus, not to piss on anyone's chips, but y'all are aware that the UK charts don't take digital sales into account, right? So trying to base ANYTHING on the UK published chart other than "which game did people buy most when they went to the supermarket or the one chain of shops that sells videogames" is just comedy.

It's an educated guess based on doing numbers for months and months in these very threads. there's very rarely a massive gap in numbers in the summer.

It's likely most console games have a very similar retail to digital split unless there's a special offer since most games aren't competitively priced digitally. I think MCV have backed this up.

Consider my chips having a piss umbrella.

3dwd7m5.jpg

Ricky 7

Haven't seen anything, granted I've only watched the football on TV.

Art gallery near me still has this up for several years, so the "brand" is still out there.

I just wanted to post it because it's awesome still.
Is that in Leeds?

Rymuth

Everybody’s Gone To The Rapture would have topped the UK charts - if digital data was included.

MCV sources say the interactive story, developed by UK independent studio The Chinese Room, comfortably outsold LEGO Jurassic World, which was last week’s No.1 game according to the Chart-Track UK retail data.

This is how the latest week’s chart should have looked:

1. Everybody’s Gone To The Rapture - Sony
2. LEGO Jurassic World, Warner Bros
3. Grand Theft Auto V, Rockstar
4. The Elder Scrolls Online, Bethesda
5. Batman: Arkham Knight, Warner Bros
6. FIFA 15, EA
7. Rare Replay, Microsoft
8. Battlefield Hardline, EA
9. Minecraft: Xbox Edition, Microsoft
10. Minecraft: PlayStation Edition, Sony

SOURCE: MCVUK

Edit: would rather post this here to be proven/disproven rather than make a new thread

Chobel

This is how the latest week’s chart should have looked:

1. Everybody’s Gone To The Rapture - Sony
2. LEGO Jurassic World, Warner Bros
3. Grand Theft Auto V, Rockstar
4. The Elder Scrolls Online, Bethesda
5. Batman: Arkham Knight, Warner Bros
6. FIFA 15, EA
7. Rare Replay, Microsoft
8. Battlefield Hardline, EA
9. Minecraft: Xbox Edition, Microsoft
10. Minecraft: PlayStation Edition, Sony

Edit: would rather post this here to be proven/disproven rather than make a new thread

Does this include the digital sales for the other games in the list?

Hasney

Does this include the digital sales for the other games in the list?

It's tough to say. Says they just have key sources in the original post, but I'm assuming they add PC into it using Steam Spy as well, then everything else goes in if they can get it from individual publishers.

I'm guessing that they don't have GTA numbers from PSN/XBL for instance.

Chobel

I'd think so, given how GTAV is 7 in the first page and 3rd on this list.

Actually the relative ordering didn't change for all the titles (ex: GTAV was #2 in all formats), which I thought was weird.

It's tough to say. Says they just have key sources in the original post, but I'm assuming they add PC into it using Steam Spy as well, then everything else goes in if they can get it from individual publishers.

I'm guessing that they don't have GTA numbers from PSN/XBL for instance.

Yeah, I would expect GTA V and ESO to beat LEGO Jurassic World if digital sales are included.

Do they ever clarify their digital sources? If they get the data from the developers/platform holders themselves that's great, but if they are estimates that leave us with a certain error margin depending on their methodology and how much data points they cover.

Hasney

Do they ever clarify their digital sources? If they get the data from the developers/platform holders themselves that's great, but if they are estimates that leave us with a certain error margin depending on their methodology and how much data points they cover.

Developers/publishers themselves if they're willing to share, I assume SteamSpy for the GTA PC one they did and "retail sources"

German sales update

Batman: Arkham Knight (PS4) - 100k
Far Cry 4 (PS3) - 100k

http://www.biu-online.de/de/presse/...ichsten-computer-und-videospiele-im-juli.html

100k+ sellers for PS4 in Germany

FIFA 14 - 200k
Assassin's Creed 4 - 100k
Battlefield 4 - 100k
CoD: Ghosts - 100k
Killzone: Shadow Fall - 100k
Watch_Dogs - 200k
inFamous: SS - 100k
TLoU: Remastered - 200k
Destiny - 200k
FIFA 15 - 500k
CoD: Advanced Warfare - 200k
GTAV - 500k
AC Unity - 200k
Far Cry 4 - 200k
Shadow of Mordor - 100k
NFS Rivals - 100k
DRIVECLUB - 200k
The Evil Within - 100k
Dragon Age: Inquisition - 100k
Battlefield: Hardline - 100k
The Crew - 100k
The Witcher 3 - 200k
Minecraft - 100k
The Order - 100k
Batman: Arkham Knight - 100k

Bruno MB

Bernd Fakesch, general manager of Nintendo Germany, is interviewed in the latest issue of Gamesmarkt magazine. According to him, Nintendo Wii U has exceed 500,000 units while Nintendo 3DS is well above 2.5 million units.

Wie sieht denn aktuell die InstalledBase bei Wii U aus?

Fakesch:
Die hiesige installierte Basis hat die 500.000er-Marke inzwischen weit überschritten. Somit sind wir gut unterwegs.

Und wie steht die Nintendo-3DS-Familie derzeit da?

Fakesch:
Hier liegen wir in Deutschland momentan deutlich über 2,5 Mio. durchverkauften Geräten.

Edit: Germany top 100 week 33, 2015 (I don't have time for a better formating)

Code:
1	1	(PlayStation 4)	Grand Theft Auto V	Take-Two Interactive
2	2	(PlayStation 4)	The Witcher 3 - Wilde Jagd	Bandai Namco Entertainment
3	12	(PlayStation 4)	The Last Of Us (Remastered)	Sony Computer Entertainment
4	13	(Wii U)	Splatoon	Nintendo
5	10	(PC)	Die Sims 4	Electronic Arts
6	18	(PlayStation 4)	The Order: 1886	Sony Computer Entertainment
7	3	(PlayStation 4)	Batman: Arkham Knight	Warner Bros. Interactive
8	14	(Wii U)	Yoshi's Woolly World	Nintendo
9	16	(Nintendo 3DS)	Animal Crossing: New Leaf	Nintendo
10	53	(Xbox One)	Grand Theft Auto V	Take-Two Interactive
11	21	(Nintendo 3DS)	Tomodachi Life	Nintendo
12	6	(PlayStation 4)	Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare	Activision Blizzard
13	19	(PlayStation 3)	FIFA 15	Electronic Arts
14	8	(PlayStation 4)	The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited	Bethesda Softworks (ZeniMax)
15	15	(PlayStation 4)	F1 2015	Bandai Namco Entertainment
16	4	(PlayStation 4)	Far Cry 4 - Limited Edition	Ubisoft
17	30	(PC)	Grand Theft Auto V	Take-Two Interactive
18	7	(PlayStation 4)	FIFA 15	Electronic Arts
19	28	(PlayStation 3)	Grand Theft Auto V	Take-Two Interactive
20	34	(PC)	Landwirtschafts-Simulator 15	astragon Entertainment
21	23	(Nintendo 3DS)	Pokémon: Omega Rubin	Nintendo
22	22	(Nintendo 3DS)	Super Smash Bros. For Nintendo 3DS	Nintendo
23	17	(PlayStation 4)	Assassin's Creed: Unity	Ubisoft
24	35	(PlayStation 3)	Call Of Duty: Black Ops II	Activision Blizzard
25	24	(Nintendo 3DS)	Pokémon: Alpha Saphir	Nintendo
26	33	(PlayStation 3) [Software-Pyramide]	Minecraft - PlayStation 3 Edition	ak tronic
27	26	(PlayStation 4) [Software-Pyramide]	Minecraft - PlayStation 4 Edition	ak tronic
28	25	(Nintendo 3DS)	New Super Mario Bros. 2	Nintendo
29	37	(PC)	The Witcher 3 - Wilde Jagd	Bandai Namco Entertainment
30	27	(Nintendo 3DS)	Mario Kart 7	Nintendo
31	86	(PC/Mac)	World Of WarCraft: Warlords Of Draenor	Activision Blizzard
32	5	(Xbox One)	Rare Replay	Diverse Distributoren
33	39	(PlayStation 3)	LittleBigPlanet 3	Sony Computer Entertainment
34	36	(PlayStation 4)	Battlefield 4	Electronic Arts
35	62	(Xbox 360) [Software-Pyramide]	Minecraft - Xbox 360 Edition	ak tronic
36	75	(Nintendo 3DS)	LEGO Jurassic World	Warner Bros. Interactive
37	42	(PlayStation 4)	The Crew	Ubisoft
38	38	(PlayStation 4)	Need For Speed: Rivals	Electronic Arts
39	20	(PlayStation 4)	Battlefield: Hardline	Electronic Arts
40	40	(Nintendo 3DS)	Super Mario 3D Land	Nintendo
41	49	(PlayStation 3)	Mittelerde: Mordors Schatten	Warner Bros. Interactive
42	60	(PlayStation 3)	Landwirtschafts-Simulator 15	astragon Entertainment
43	46	(PlayStation 4)	Diablo III: Reaper Of Souls - Ultimate Evil Edition	Activision Blizzard
44	11	(PlayStation 4)	Mittelerde: Mordors Schatten	Warner Bros. Interactive
45	29	(Nintendo 3DS)	The Legend Of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D	Nintendo
46	43	(PC/Mac)	Die Sims 4: An die Arbeit	Electronic Arts
47	54	(PlayStation 3)	Watch Dogs - Bonus Edition	Ubisoft
48	32	(PlayStation 3)	Call Of Duty: Ghosts	Activision Blizzard
49	68	(Wii U)	Mario Party 10	Nintendo
50	41	(PlayStation 4)	Project Cars	Bandai Namco Entertainment
51	69	(Xbox 360)	Grand Theft Auto V	Take-Two Interactive
52	84	(PC/Mac)	Diablo III: Reaper Of Souls	Activision Blizzard
53	31	(PlayStation 4)	LittleBigPlanet 3	Sony Computer Entertainment
54	76	(Wii U)	Super Smash Bros. For Wii U	Nintendo
55	48	(PlayStation 4)	God Of War III Remastered	Sony Computer Entertainment
56	79	(PlayStation 4)	Landwirtschafts-Simulator 15	astragon Entertainment
57	91	(PlayStation 3)	Diablo III: Reaper Of Souls - Ultimate Evil Edition	Activision Blizzard
58	85	(PlayStation 3)	Gran Turismo 6	Sony Computer Entertainment
59	64	(PlayStation 3)	LEGO Jurassic World	Warner Bros. Interactive
60	45	(Xbox 360)	FIFA 15	Electronic Arts
61	50	(PC/Mac)	The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited	Bethesda Softworks (ZeniMax)
62	(WE)	(Nintendo Wii)	New Super Mario Bros. Wii	Nintendo
63	67	(PC)	Die Sims 4 - Bundle Pack 1	Electronic Arts
64	55	(PlayStation 4)	Assassin's Creed IV - Black Flag (PS4 Exklusive Edition)	Ubisoft
65	71	(PlayStation 3)	Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare	Activision Blizzard
66	95	(Wii U)	LEGO Jurassic World	Warner Bros. Interactive
67	90	(PC) [Software-Pyramide]	Die Sims 2	ak tronic
68	80	(PlayStation 3)	Far Cry 4 - Limited Edition	Ubisoft
69	63	(PlayStation 3)	Assassin's Creed: Rogue	Ubisoft
70	72	(PlayStation 4)	Evolve	Take-Two Interactive
71	77	(PlayStation 4)	LEGO Jurassic World	Warner Bros. Interactive
72	87	(PC/Mac)	Die Sims 3 - Starter Set	Electronic Arts
73	52	(Xbox One)	Halo - The Master Chief Collection	Diverse Distributoren
74	(WE)	(PlayStation 3)	LEGO Marvel Super Heroes	Warner Bros. Interactive
75	(WE)	(PC)	Fußball Manager 14 - Legacy Edition	Electronic Arts
76	44	(Nintendo 3DS)	Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate	Nintendo
77	(WE)	(PC) [Software-Pyramide]	Command & Conquer Ultimate Collection (Download Code)	ak tronic
78	82	(PlayStation 4)	Rayman Legends	Ubisoft
79	65	(PlayStation 4)	Wolfenstein: The Old Blood	Bethesda Softworks (ZeniMax)
80	66	(Nintendo 3DS)	Pokémon X	Nintendo
81	(WE)	(PC)	Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare	Activision Blizzard
82	(WE)	(PlayStation 4)	Dragon Ball: Xenoverse	Bandai Namco Entertainment
83	58	(Nintendo 3DS)	Luigi's Mansion 2	Nintendo
84	93	(PlayStation 4)	Payday 2 - Crimewave Edition	NBG
85	(WE)	(Nintendo Wii)	Mario Party 9	Nintendo
86	(WE)	(PC/Mac)	World Of WarCraft - Battle Chest 3.0	Activision Blizzard
87	(WE)	(Xbox One)	The Witcher 3 - Wilde Jagd	Bandai Namco Entertainment
88	(WE)	(Xbox 360)	Mittelerde: Mordors Schatten	Warner Bros. Interactive
89	51	(Xbox One)	Call Of Duty: Ghosts	Activision Blizzard
90	81	(Nintendo 3DS)	Puzzle & Dragons Z + Puzzle & Dragons: Super Mario Bros. Edition	Nintendo
91	78	(Nintendo 3DS)	Pokémon Y	Nintendo
92	(WE)	(PC)	Far Cry 4 - Limited Edition	Ubisoft
93	(WE)	(PlayStation 3)	Need For Speed: Rivals	Electronic Arts
94	100	(PlayStation 4)	Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster - Limited Edition	Koch Media
95	(WE)	(Xbox 360)	Call Of Duty: Black Ops II	Activision Blizzard
96	(WE)	(PC)	The Elder Scrolls V - Skyrim	Bethesda Softworks (ZeniMax)
97	(WE)	(PC/Mac)	Cities: Skylines	Koch Media
98	(WE)	(PC/Mac)	Diablo III	Activision Blizzard
99	(WE)	(Wii U)	Super Mario 3D World	Nintendo
100	(WE)	(Nintendo Wii)	Mario Kart Wii - Lenkrad Bundle	Nintendo

Bruno MB

wasn't the last update for Wii U hardware in Germany 350k, at around the same time last year too?

December 31, 2012 - 85,000 LTD (1 month)
September 30, 2013 - 160,000 LTD (+ 75,000 9 months)
August, 2014 - 350,000 LTD (+ 190,000 11 months)
August, 2015 - 500,000 LTD (+ 150,000 12 months)

Germany loves everything PS4... except Bloodborne :|

I think Bloodborne and Souls games are kinda in a Virtua Fighter territory where there's been a "it's hard" narrative around it for so long that it scares off people from even trying it. It's part of the reason why you hear marketing for the games mentioning how it's more accessible. But they can't push that too much because it starts to freak out fans of those types of games. So they're in a rough spot as far as really growing the fanbase of those games because of that difficulty barrier.

Loudninja

Australia
  1. Grand Theft Auto V - Rockstar Games
  2. Batman: Arkham Knight - Warner Bros. Interactive
  3. Minecraft - Microsoft
  4. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Bandai Namco Games
  5. LEGO: Jurassic World - Warner Bros. Interactive
  6. Disney Infinity 2.0 - Disney Interactive Studios
  7. Assassin's Creed: Unity - Ubisoft
  8. Rare Replay - Microsoft
  9. Borderlands: The Handsome Collection - Take 2 Interactive
  10. God Of War III - Sony