• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V Has The Most Needless Sexualization Since Bayonetta (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MiguelItUp

The only thing worse than a white knight is someone who acts like it's all ok and there's no argument to be made. Just admit that you're sexist and move on.

This is a tad bit rash TBH. Just because I'm not offended by it and I look at it like satire or completely tongue in cheek doesn't make me sexist. That's pretty offensive.

RM8

I should also note that I do understand that the scenes shown are dumb and pandering, but i'm fine with that. I just have an issue with people thinking MGS as this beacon series of seriousness... This series has been silly since MGS (mg and MG 2 may not be silly, I havent played them so i cant comment on those)
I imagine some fans want a series they love to improve over the years. How come they can't voice their opinion? It's such a common sight, people trying to completely shut down criticism of their favorite video games.

MMaRsu

Banned
Sexism still alive and they don't give a fuck lol.

The only thing worse than a white knight is someone who acts like it's all ok and there's no argument to be made. Just admit that you're sexist and move on.

The worst thing is people who jump to conclusions about other people because they arent offended by this kind of thing and calling them sexist too.

Lime

If this were a film it would be laughed out of the box office, and every goddamned critic known to man would be saying the shit we are.

It's not "OMG a partially clothed woman!" it's "OMG someone created a character who is partially clothed for a fucking moronic reason, treated as an object, caged up, sexualized beyond belief even while tortured, doesn't fucking talk, etc."

I guess Quiet has been a good litmus test of how much sexualized shit some game critics and gamers can stomach without commenting on it, and show the lengths to which sycophants, like some in this thread, are willing to defend and rationalize blatant pandering, and in some cases sexualized torture and attempted rape of a mute stripper sniper.

Karkador

Banned
If this were a film it would be laughed out of the box office, and every goddamned critic known to man would be saying the shit we are.

It's not "OMG a partially clothed woman!" it's "OMG someone created a character who is partially clothed for a fucking moronic reason, treated as an object, caged up, sexualized beyond belief even while tortured, doesn't fucking talk, etc."

This is what I'm thinking, too.

The MGS series has long modeled itself on being "a movie in videogame form", but this one actually approaches "it's funny because it's awful" style of movies like The Room...and maybe not intentionally

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
It is so childish that so many people make such a big fuss about having an attractive woman on a game. "OMG partially clothed woman!!! SCANDALOUS". Why is it that people worry about this kind of thing so much in games? Imagine if it was a film and people were like: "they shouldn't have cast X, she is too attractive and her clothes were too revealing therefore it is sexist and really problematic, I wont be wasting any more of my time with that director."

I have to say though, nice boobs but her face is pretty rough.
It's astounding that a comparison to the film and music industry is never met with any accusations of sexism or controversy.

Nice spin!
So are you done with the really transparent attempt to "call me out" and derail the thread? Or do you have anything to add to the discussion?

sensui-tomo

I imagine some fans want a series they love to improve over the years. How come they can't voice their opinion? It's such a common sight, people trying to completely shut down criticism of their favorite video games.

maybe i should have better worded my statement, People can criticize, I wont stop that nor try to even imply that. I wont stop criticism, only thing i want people to get from my comments is this "MGS has been a crazy series with only mgs 3 being the good serious game of the series... which would be a bond film at best" and the rest have goofy crazy stuff. Quiet is what i expected from kojima. Its T&A but and I dont have a problem with it ( it fits inline with what i'd expect from mgs after 4 and peace walker) , I can see how others would.

RDreamer

I guess Quiet has been a good litmus test of how much sexualized shit some game critics and gamers can stomach without commenting on it, and show the lengths to which sycophants, like some in this thread, are willing to defend and rationalize blatant pandering, and in some cases sexualized torture and attempted rape of a mute stripper sniper.

The fact that (to my knowledge) reviews don't mention this is just crazy.

The fact that gamers would probably throw a fit if it did get mentioned in a review is just crazy.

Astery

So? What's your point?
respect one's culture when you decide to join in. It's Japan. Don't be like a certain country who forces its own believes and rules against everyone else and believe it's the sole "correct" way.

don't get me wrong, I think the sexual exploitation is kinda obvious and kind of embarrassing as in all MGS or many other Japanese games, but I respect them to do their own cultural thing. I do not want a universal police enforcing "no fun allowed", just because a percentage of people complaining about their own views not being fulfilled.

sensui-tomo

The fact that (to my knowledge) reviews don't mention this is just crazy.

The fact that gamers would probably throw a fit if it did get mentioned in a review is just crazy.

See polygon's dragon's crown review to see how that worked out or some stuff JS(kotaku guy) said about the designs.

Crossing Eden

Portrayal of rape is sexist? Did the game celebrate her almost-rape? I'm not sure what your point is here. The game - being an adult game - portrays a huge quantity of adult situations, Quiet's treatment being one of them. Now, please don't misunderstand. I'm not trying to argue "oh but this game has murder therefore it's no big deal that she was almost raped". But I don't understand why her escaping an assault makes the game itself sexist.
Using rape as a character development device is one of the most sexist things you can do while writing a story involving a female character, the intent and execution is almost always poor and completely misrepresents what people who have experienced that go through. Her escaping rape isn't the sole reason why her portrayal is sexist, it's part of the relatively long list of reasons why she is.

Yes they have, and more
Yes, I was implying that.

It's astounding that some believe that the film and music industry is never met with accusations of sexism hence the comparison to video games.

Is what I meant.

Sai-kun

Banned
respect one's culture when you decide to join in. It's Japan. Don't be like a certain country who forces its own believes and rules against everyone else and believe it's the sole "correct" way.

this is so fucking ignorant i don't even know what else to say

Lunar15

don't get me wrong, I think the sexual exploitation is kinda obvious and kind of embarrassing as in all MGS or many other Japanese games, but I respect them to do their own cultural thing. I do not want a universal police enforcing "no fun allowed", just because a percentage of people complaining about their own views not being fulfilled.

I feel fine calling out Japan's issues with the sexualization of women. Miyazaki had no problems calling it out either. People call out the USA on a ton of its bad policies and cultural practices.

Whole thing is even worse when Kojima himself said that he wanted someone this sexualized in order to sell figurines. The writing's all there, folks. Women can be sexy, but I'm tired of objectification and I feel pretty comfortable saying I'd like to see that the world over.

Dunkley

72h96uP.gif

It's a pity to just sit back and think for a second what else they could have invested that effort, money and time into if it hadn't gone into animating crap like that.

Not that it would have affected a lot... but anything is better than this.

grumble

First off, sexism is never a valid thing. I don't care which culture it is, but if they treat women with disrespect it is worthy of criticism. There are many cultures with other abhorrent things like racism, slavery, classism etc and I will absolutely criticize them for it. I also criticize my own culture when it encourages unethical behaviour.

Secondly, is this really japan in general or just the pervy subculture that permeates some Japanese games and anime?

what the fuck

It's a pity to just sit back and think for a second what else they could have invested that effort, money and time into if it hadn't gone into animating crap like that.

Really? Might as well remove the cute dog, gore and big robots.

RM8

They aim for an international market and they receive international feedback. BTW I wonder how my non gamer Japanese relatives feel about this "aspect of their culture", lol.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Whilst there's legitimacy to finding Quiet's design offensive, there's a rather disturbing trend of crusading against things, trying to force all mediums to adhere to some social, moral and cultural standard.

Works like MGS's Quiet and Waifu Simulator 69 are allowed to exist. It's pandering rubbish, but they're allowed to exist. In the same way that we have Bond girls, erotic novels, Cosmopolitan magazine etc, we also have foreign cinema, literature and indie / artistic games on opposite ends of the spectrum.

MGS here in Australia is rated R-18+. This is the same age that you can legally smoke, drink, go to a strip club or even a brothel. Naturally, equating MGS to a brothel is a little excessive, but the point I'm getting across is, games and creators are allowed to create titillating rubbish.

Lol. They are allowed to exist. They just get criticized. Some "crusade."

Crossing Eden

No, your hypocrisy is pretty known on GAF, so no need to intensify this!
So basically you had absolutely jack shit to add to the discussion except a failed attempt to derail the thread and call me a hypocrite, when i've had the same opinion on Quiet's character? Yes or no?

Oh my lord..

Yep.

they could have invested their money into finishing the game and giving it an ending probably

cerulily

so you know for a fact that nobody in Japan has anything critical to say about this stuff? News to me.

Regardless, this is a bullshit reason to claim that people aren't allowed to critically analyze products which they're being asked to buy simply because of the culture of who made it. So since there isn't a major platform (THAT YOU ARE AWARE OF) for this critique in Japan, Westerners cannot comment on that product?

MaddenNFL64

Makes me think of the guy on the Dragon Age Inquisition team who modeled detailed penises for some of the characters, and then has all his content cut because the lead designer was messing with him.

The dude who animated Quiet worked his ass off lmao.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom