• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for August 2015 [PS4 #1 HW/SW, 7M Amiibos LTD, 600K LTD Splatoon]

Ryng_tolu

Banned
True. But I highly doubt it since back then Heavy Rain was dodged with a lot of skepticism by many gamers. In fact more people were claiming that they're not going to buy it back then. In contrast, the reception for Until Dawn is a lot more positive.
Well, all i can say is, Splatoon in June 2015 sold 290,000 unit including digital, and was above Minecraft...
Usually Splatoon sales are 15-20% digital, so, Splatoon PROBABILY sold some like 230k-250k withouth digital... Minecraft sold less than Splatoon in June 2015. And June is usually a bigger month than July or August... now, here the point.
After Minecraft, there is Gears of War... after Gears of War, there is GTA... after GTA, there is Lego... after Lego, there is Rare... and only after Rare, there is Until Dawn...
imo, there is no way for Until dawn over Heavy Rain considering it sold 219,000...

Keep in mind Halo 5 will only have 3 days of tracking time next month while the Uncharted Collection will have the majority of the month.

Eggbok

October is probably the best chance MS has at winning for sure. November/December I can see Sony taking it. But at the same time it can go either way.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
No. He is not online.

da552d2309cc1de8fa8c90c2079dbd88.gif

I want the numbeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeers.

allan-bh

There was a huge gap in favour of the 360 last gen but now there's a small gap in favour of the PS4. There are also a lot of people who owned 360s that are now PS4 owners. I really think it's not as obvious as people believe. I'm still going to lean towards Halo but I'm not 100% certain.

PS4 install base can work for Uncharted 4 outsell Halo 5 WW, in US is virtually impossible.

Halo it's on another league in USA, a little bigger PS4 install base will not change that because Halo 5 attach rate will be huge.

kswiston

Keep in mind Halo 5 will only have 3 days of tracking time next month while the Uncharted Collection will have the majority of the month.

Halo 5's first day will be bigger than Uncharted collection's LTD sales in the US. remaster collections are lucky to debut over 200-300k.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
I never said Splatoon would sell better in the US than in Japan.
I think USA sales are really good, and Japan sales are insane. :p

That said, i think Splatoon will sell around 2 million lifetime in the US ( including digital )...
What's your prediction? :D
Probably like 1M-1.5M. 2M is asking at least 33% or more of the install base to own Splatoon imo considering we're only @ 4M for Wii U in the US thus far.

Pretty sure hyrule warriors reached a million aswell
Yes it did worldwide.

Halo 3 launched in September 2007 to an Xbox 360 install base of 6.7 million in the USA.

In the USA the game sold 3.3 million units to end users during the first month and by the end of the year the game had been purchased by over 4.85 million customers in the US. By the end of 2008 the game had sold 5.77 million units in the USA and to date has sold more than 7 million units including all editions + re-releases.

Halo 3: ODST launched September 2009 to an Xbox 360 install base of 16.2 million in the USA.

In the USA it sold 1.52 million units to end users during the first month and has sold through more than 2.5 million units as of 2010. As a spin off game, lower sales were to be expected.

Halo Reach launched September 2010 to an Xbox 360 install base of 22 million in the USA.

In the USA Halo Reach sales matched launch sales of Halo 3 with more than 3.3 million being sold through during the first month. By the end of the year Halo Reach sales had reached over 4 million sold through in the USA. It's estimated that Halo Reach sold better than ODST but has not been able to match 3 sales in the USA.

Halo 4 launched November 2012 to an Xbox 360 install base of 36.6 million in the USA.

In the USA Halo 4 sold an estimated 3.2 million units to end customers during its launch month and by the end of the year had sold through more than 4.5 million units.

Perhaps someone who actually follows Halo or has additional software sales data can fill in the gaps.

Halo 5 will launch to an install base of over 8 million in the USA (Xbox One) and can be expected to sell over 3 million units during month 1 in order to be a success.

Thanks for the detailed information as always :).

I remember those games:

Super Smash Bros Brawl: 2,700,000
Super Mario Galaxy: 1,120,000
Mario Kart Wii: 1,120,000
That's an insane debut for Brawl...

Halo will outsell Uncharted, the discussion is only by how much.
US maybe, but are you talking worldwide? because considering how much stronger the playstation brand is being pushed with the success of the Ps4 and uncharted basically being playstation's halo, I can definitely see it selling much better than the series has in the past.

US maybe, but are you talking worldwide? because considering how much stronger the playstation brand is being pushed with the success of the Ps4 and uncharted basically being playstation's halo, I can definitely see it selling much better than the series has in the past.

Uncharted 4 probably will sell more in first month WW but we are talking about Halo 5 vs Nathan Drake Collection, a port of 3 PS3 games. Don't think there will be any contest in October.

allan-bh

US. Worldwide Uncharted 4 has a shot for win, but it's not Playstation Halo (This is Gran Turismo)

I think it has been established Uncharted 4 will sell better worldwide. Whether Halo 5 will >>>> UC4 in the U.S. is the debate.
US. Worldwide Uncharted 4 has a shot for win, but it's not Playstation Halo (This is Gran Turismo)

It is getting close. Uncharted 4 and The Last Of Us 2 will both do 10 million+. Everything ND touches is gold now.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Just 30%? I get <80k, but I don't want to say a specific number as I could be off by a couple of K.

That's just silly.

He clearly means that Uncharted 4 on PS4 will outsell Halo 5 on PS4, since that's the only way his sentence works =P. Fact is, it's honestly possible that in the end Halo:MCC & Uncharted 4 sell similarly.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Probably like 1M-1.5M. 2M is asking at least 33% or more of the install base to own Splatoon imo considering we're only @ 4M for Wii U in the US thus far.

No way for Splatoon sell only 1 million lifetime, and even 1.5 million is very low.
The game has legs, STRONG legs. 2 million is what probabily will sell.

That's an insane debut for Brawl...

And was a insane sistem seller, the Wii sold over 700k the month of Smash Bros.

Welfare

Might as well post this while waiting for cream.

Xbox One 202k

MoM rise was 7%

YoY rise is 26%

Weekly average

July: 189k / 4 weeks = 47,250

August: 202k / 4 weeks = 50,500

Uncharted 4 probably will sell more in first month WW but we are talking about Halo 5 vs Nathan Drake Collection, a port of 3 PS3 games. Don't think there will be any contest in October.
word. I wonder what the hardware numbers will be, though.
sony/poly dropped the ball really fuckin hard with gt6. and with that I think the series may've lost a lot of momentum. either way, even if gt7 was announced way before & everything, like around the same time as Uc4 and was set up for a release next year, I think the hype for Uc4 would still've been even stronger.
I think it has been established Uncharted 4 will sell better worldwide. Whether Halo 5 will >>>> UC4 in the U.S. is the debate.
has that been established? i don't know how popular halo is outside of the U.S but i've heard around here that it isn't really a juggernaut anywhere else, I suppose maybe the U.K too.
It is getting close. Uncharted 4 and The Last Us 2 will both do 10 million+. Everything ND touches is gold now.
not only is it getting close...i think it's happened already. uncharted is playstation's biggest franchise. their halo. in fact, besides gt, has there ever been a sony 1st party that's sold over 10 million copies?

GeoramA

I thought that TV deal would definitely put XB1 over the top. Still, it's good to see the two so close in sales since it's a slaughter everywhere else in the world. A PS4 pricedrop isn't happening, people.

He clearly means that Uncharted 4 on PS4 will outsell Halo 5 on PS4, since that's the only way his sentence works =P. Fact is, it's honestly possible that in the end Halo:MCC & Uncharted 4 sell similarly.

For the November 2014 Xbox One, MCC was as big as Uncharted 4 to PS4, in fact arguably MCC was THE exclusive for Xbox One in the entirety of 2014, even more so than Titanfall.

allan-bh

Might as well post this while waiting for cream.

Xbox One 202k

MoM rise was 7%

YoY rise is 26%

Weekly average

July: 189k / 4 weeks = 47,250

August: 202k / 4 weeks = 50,500

That's kinda disappointing with TV deal, Madden and Gears. I was expecting a bigger increase over july.

Papacheeks

Banned
Uncharted 4 will outsell halo 5 in US.

That is not unreasonable.
Uncharted 4 has better coverage at trade-shows, and is getting a beta with the Uncharted collection that will probably make a lot of people preorder the game.

Add in their marketing will be "From the creators who brought you the masterpiece The Last of Us comes...."
Halo is halo. It has a big following, but one I will say has waned over the past couple years. Uncharted or should I say Naughty Dog have become a bigger name.

Uncharted 4 has been hyped since 2013. Halo 5 has had some bad press, because of coverage issues, and bad demoing at trade shows.
Really think Uncharted 4 because of the bigger install base, will make give it an edge to get better sales in US.

I thought that TV deal would definitely put XB1 over the top. Still, it's good to see the two so close in sales since it's a slaughter everywhere else in the world. A PS4 pricedrop isn't happening, people.

No price on Star Wars bundle makes me think there is good possibility for one.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
About 3DS, 30% increase is withouth doubt rounded, but that's all we have... so, even if probabily it isn't, we can say 77,000 3DS this month, or, 75k to 80k.

Worst month ever for the sistem after January 2015 and is at July 2011 level ( pre pricedrop month ).

GHG

Very happy Until Dawn has done well.

Great game. One of my favourite experiences of the generation so far.

Uncharted 4 will outsell halo 5 in US.

That is not unreasonable.
Uncharted 4 has better coverage at trade-shows, and is getting a beta with the Uncharted collection that will probably make a lot of people preorder the game.

Add in their marketing will be "From the creators who brought you the masterpiece The Last of Us comes...."
Halo is halo. It has a big following, but one I will say has waned over the past couple years. Uncharted or should I say Naughty Dog have become a bigger name.

Uncharted 4 has been hyped since 2013. Halo 5 has had some bad press, because of coverage issues, and bad demoing at trade shows.
Really think Uncharted 4 because of the bigger install base, will make give it an edge to get better sales in US.

Halo 5's general press coverage and trade show demo impressions have been very positive, it also had a successful beta that gained a lot of good impressions.

Top Bottom