• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

Teknoman

I can't get any one to play my levels.

I've gotten a few stars even though my most played level has only about 20 or so.

I wish there was a good way to queue up a playlist of levels from codes. They should have allowed QR codes as a means of sharing levels too.

But seriously, how do you guys get the feet on your levels?!

Twitter, gaf, and the nintendolife Mario maker page. Also anytime someone says they will be streaming submitted user levels.

Kebiinu

Banned
Submission for the SMM-GAF Community Contest #1

Below you'll find my latest stage, it's for the first Super Mario Maker competition! The objective is to create a compelling intro level, adhering to accessibility, but not redundancy!

Koopa Trails (Level 1-1)
Z1OZj4S.jpg
JYV6Zmp.jpg

Stage ID: 427A-0000-0051-51C6
This stage has our hero learning the ropes and getting back into shape for his next big adventure! Fairly linear, but not without it's share of surprises. Rumor has it...there's a strange leaf that allows you to soar into a sky of riches. Just how much of that is true?

I'll take this opportunity to show y'all the courses I've made already. Excluding the contest entry, it's from latest to oldest.

Mushroom Heights
GJywodF.jpg
mYSzPNh.jpg

High above Mushroom Kindom, you'll find mushrooms taller than the clouds themselves. It's no coincidence that you encounter just that in this stage. With both high and lower altitudes, no matter how you're progressing, I hope you're prepared for an involuntary skydive!...that is, unless you're fortunate enough to don the Tanooki suit!

Stage ID: E7D5-0000-0049-5DCC

Aeroskies
UOCaYDd.jpg
BSwjj56.jpg

This stage took work, a LOT of work. With a heavy focus on exploration yet familiar linearity; not every missed jump is a missed opportunity, so look for those secrets!

Stage ID: 17D1-0000-0040-D11A

Kelp Assembly!
CXhQhcd.jpg
PH7obYp.jpg

A linear pipe foreshadows your route as you make your way through this autoscrolling water stage. Despite the implied pace, don't panic; just keep swimming!

Stage ID: B281-0000-003A-FB76

Trial Caverns
YaTtAGO.jpg
qshsg4x.jpg

Deep in Mushroom Kingdom you'll find this cave at the base of a towering mountain. Venture if you dare...for what awaits, are perilous drops, tricky platforms, and some persistent enemies. Make sure you pace yourself before proceeding along the pipe walkway!

Stage ID: 273C-0000-002F-B77A

What Goes Up...!
lkKxWN3.jpg
gkRWGKp.jpg

...must come down, or so they say! This stage will have you doing both as you make your way across this canyon of pipes and tight platforming! Watch out for that last step, it's a doozy!

Stage ID: 777C-0000-002E-4B15

Good luck to all who post a submission! :)

Jobbs

Banned
It's back up.

--

VigilantWelloffCutworm.gif

D6: The Enemy Within 94A9-0000-0051-7C6B

Sometimes the enemy is right under your nose. Some may live their entire lives through without even realizing it. Some...

In the captivating sixth installment of the critically acclaimed Spiky Dave series we must examine ourselves. What do we value most -- and what do we fear?

Keep your wits about you. Hold onto hope, hold onto family, and don't focus only on the enemy without... Face The Enemy Within.

BiggNife

Feedback would be greatly appreciated on both of these levels:

Up, down or middle? v2  4750-0000-0051-6A28

CPSJvxwXAAAuxij.jpg

Easily the most ambitious level I've tried to make so far - I tried to make three distinct paths with their own challenges.  The first version of this level had a higher completion rate than I expected (like 50%) so I think the upper path was way too easy - this version has been tweaked so flying all the way to the top isn't just a cakewalk.

B I G  B O Y S  (7D77-0000-004C-CCA4)

CPOgt7fWgAAcGQN.jpg

A short, silly level to take advantage of the big mushroom item that you get by using the Mario 30th Anniversary Amiibo. Will probably revise this at some point to see if I can make more challenges out of the fact that big mario destroys everything (like the brick blocks).

Everybody Hates Mines
A73B-0000-0051-54A9

They are the worst.

I gave this a whirl, not bad but the final jump on to the floating platform is way too tricky, it took it ages to realise it was even there and I spent about a minute trying to land on it, before giving up, it needs to be easier to find and easier to see , trying to time a jump for a platform I couldn't see was maddening and throw some floor at the beginning. Having an instant drop is pretty off putting.

Again though, not bad

DarkKyo

Sadly there is no adjust feature. I have basically decided I will just upload my levels, get feedback and incorporate all of that into my next levels philosophy.

For reference. My critiques are more about smoothing things over. I didn't find the level hard (1st try) and I thought it was fun so if yoh are going for seasoned players what you have may be fine.

Cool, thanks for clarifying :) and yeah an edit/adjust would be really nice but I suppose I understand why it's not included. I'm not sure what the main demographic playing tons of levels online are but I'm hoping moderate-difficulty levels are passable for many.
Difficulty felt right to me, I beat it first try.

Awesome, ty for playing!

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I gave this a whirl, not bad but the final jump on to the floating platform is way too tricky, it took it ages to realise it was even there and I spent about a minute trying to land on it, before giving up, it needs to be easier to find and easier to see , trying to time a jump for a platform I couldn't see was maddening and throw some floor at the beginning. Having an instant drop is pretty off putting.

Again though, not bad

Thanks for the feedback!

Is there a way to edit a level without having to reupload it? I originally had it lower but I moved it up to make the ending a bit more difficult. But I can see how it would be really frustrating, especially if you didn't know it was there.

Glad you enjoyed the rest though, I'm still on day two of the truck deliveries for items so I'm limited but enjoying learning the ropes!

octopiggy

Sölf;179350153 said:
How many do you need for the others? I know it's 1, 50, 150, 300, what thenn? 500 and 750?

This is all I know so far:

Start: 10 Levels
1 Star: 1st Medal
50 Stars: 2nd Medal - 20 Levels
150 Stars: 3rd Medal - 30 Levels
300 Stars: 4th Medal - 40 Levels
500 Stars: 5th Medal - 50 Levels
800 Stars: 6th Medal - 60 Levels
1300 Stars: 7th Medal - 70 Levels

Feedback would be greatly appreciated on both of these levels:

Up, down or middle? v2  4750-0000-0051-6A28

CPSJvxwXAAAuxij.jpg

Easily the most ambitious level I've tried to make so far - I tried to make three distinct paths with their own challenges.  The first version of this level had a higher completion rate than I expected (like 50%) so I think the upper path was way too easy - this version has been tweaked so flying all the way to the top isn't just a cakewalk.

B I G  B O Y S  (7D77-0000-004C-CCA4)

CPOgt7fWgAAcGQN.jpg

A short, silly level to take advantage of the big mushroom item that you get by using the Mario 30th Anniversary Amiibo. Will probably revise this at some point to see if I can make more challenges out of the fact that big mario destroys everything (like the brick blocks).

I tired both of these.

The first is pretty good, level design was quite clear and straight forward and multiple route is always nice. Making the first one a choice rather than an out come of player choice was a little weird. The progression was little off, the challenge didn't really ramp up or connect with that came before. There was some nice down time sprinkled throughout which I appreciated, good show.

I loathed the second one, but I think I just hate mega Mario.

d1rtn4p

I was 6 when I got a NES and Super Mario Bros. Just bought this for my 4 year old son and he's already much better than I was :)

DaBoss

tumblr_nuxh1mj5se1ux7li8o1_540.jpg

Mission Briefing: The Goomba army has grown very strong and are planning to attack the Mushroom Kingdom. They even have genetically modified Goomba soliders that have flowers on their head and have the ability to control the minds of anything they ride.

Your mission is to disguise yourself as a Goomba and infiltrate the Gommbantic, the giant Goomba airship, and destroy their secret weapon, the Giant Goomba Nuke, and then escape. Not much is known about it, but we know it contains a large amount of Goombas in it and has a lot of explosive power. We have some info stating that the way to deactivate the GGN is by using the P.O.O.P Switch, also known as a P-Switch. Don't ask what the acronym means, we don't know.

Please do not alert them of your presence by engaging in combat with them (jumping on them) or by losing your disguise. If you do lose your disguise, do not worry about it, we have some back up disguises hidden in invisible blocks throughout the airship.

And one last thing, we also have word that there are objects that you love to collect hidden throughout the airship. 1-Up Shrooms. Our scanners indicate there are 5 of them on the airship.

It's not a hard level and is just a fun little one. I ran out of blocks/objects I can place so I decided to make the level easier and made it possible to complete without having to combat enemies. You don't need to use enemies to reach places with 1-Up Mushrooms either, so you can get every 1-Up without having to jump on an enemy (beetle helmet is not an enemy).

AniHawk

Try mine! 73A1-0000-0049-51EA
Titled "My Little Yoshi: Friendship is Tragic"

I think most would agree that it's a fair level, but it's fairly long. I don't troll you though, and the challenges are all on the easy-medium side if you're proficient with Mario.

i played this when it went up. and i'm impressed with the design, although i found a way at the start to get stuck.

i see you found my super mario world revengeance level. really didn't expect for people here to be playing it- just trying out a couple of ideas with that one, namely how to make a boss fight work. i watched a friend go through it, and he wound up breaking it by taking the p-switch to him to bowser, where things got really interesting. it's a mechanic i think i'll take for something more fleshed out that i'm already working on.

Absolutely loved this one. This is how levels should be made, it felt very Nintendo-like. Good job.

Dunno how I missed this!! Thanks for the positive feedback :) Did you take the high path or the low path for reference? I hid a nice lil throwback at the emd of the top path.

Anyone else interested?
4694-0000-004D-7DF7

Thanks to those of you who played my previous stages!

Just made another, the picture is kind of misleading, though--underwater spinies curl into their eggs automatically, it just won't show up on the editor.

gp4FRMR.jpg

Spiny Mine Glacier

C366-0000-0051-9CCD

Kouichi

After getting the Shy Guy costume, I spent the whole morning trying to recreate the first level in Super Mario Bros. 2. I downloaded a picture of the level and spent a lot of time on paint making sure the level was as square perfect as possible. I think I did a pretty good job.

Shy Guy Panic
WVW69iZyG5M_4MM4Yt

B130-0000-0051-99EB

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
ShibaFan/NetMapel, I just want to say a HUGE THANK YOU for playing my stage. You downplay your own playing ability a lot, but two things:

1. You're still better than most Mario players
2. I learned far more watching you play my level than I did watching the "expert" players earlier. I want my levels to be approachable so seeing where the tough spots were for you is a huge help.

Thank you again!

Finally beat your Yoshi level ! So many Yoshi were sacrificed ! I do have a question though. I was watching 1Up playing your level yesterday. Towards the end right before the last room, he was able to get a feather. That allowed him to just fly up to the top instead of timing the bullet bill jump. How come I never got the feather ? :(

ohNOitsRO

Hey GAF! Back with some more levels, would love any and all feedback (and stars!)

Yoshi's Origins
51D6-0000-004E-4261
Basically a level where I like to think Mario first encounters Yoshi and learns that sometimes his best friend is dispensable.. I don't know how I feel about the difficulty of this level yet, but it has no clears and I don't think it's that hard... It even has a roller coaster ride through a mountain where another dinosaur friend awaits eagerly for rescue! A secret path awaits where you can skip 1/3 of the level too!

Waluigi's Aerial Escape
4975-0000-004E-8B43
Waluigi has escaped the grasp of the Flying Kamek and must now make his way to his protected fort using Kamek's own flying devices! But will Waluigi make it in time? Or will he suffer a most spiky death? Jump to each dispensable cloud to make it to the end!

Backdoor Bowser
428F-0000-004D-C856
Bowser was ready for another impending attack from Mario, but it looks like Bowser has left his rear exit defenseless! Can you use Bowser's P-Switches against him and flank him unknowingly?!

jholmes

Just made another, the picture is kind of misleading, though--underwater spinies curl into their eggs automatically, it just won't show up on the editor.

gp4FRMR.jpg

Spiny Mine Glacier

C366-0000-0051-9CCD

WOW. Probably the best water level I've seen yet. Definite showcase candidate.

After getting the Shy Guy costume, I spent the whole morning trying to recreate the first level in Super Mario Bros. 2. I downloaded a picture of the level and spent a lot of time on paint making sure the level was as square perfect as possible. I think I did a pretty good job.

Shy Guy Panic
WVW69iZyG5M_4MM4Yt

B130-0000-0051-99EB

Really cool level, definitely has that SMB2 feel, despite the SMM engine not really wanting you to go from room to room the way you forced it to! One complaint: too many mushrooms! I'd probably have changed the one after the waterfall (well, it's a waterfall in the original) to a starman as you can usually get one at that point in the stage. Otherwise, quite nice!

WolvenOne

I would really appreciate some input on Jailbreak. I really do feel like I could make some improvements, but I'm really not certain where.

8D8D-0000-004E-8597

SirShandy

Anyone get a chance to play any of my levels yet? Love some feedback, especially on my latest Pikmin themed level! Also, PM me more stages! About to run through a whole bunch more. I star all Gaf levels and always give my critique.

You can find all my stages HERE.

I played through a number of them.

Noisemaker Manor: I wasn't able to finish. I feel it relies a bit too much on trial and error with the hidden blocks.

Assault on Goomba Factory: Enjoyed the boss fight quite a bit. One of the better ones I've played. The rest of the level is solid.

Big Trouble in Retro Reef: Could not figure out what to do after killing bowser with the three POW blocks.

Bowsers Heavy Metal Battalion: I didn't finish it, died at the Kamek battle part, but it was a very good looking level and the moving in and out of tanks was pretty seamless and well done.

Steampunk Castle: This is the best level I played of yours design-wise. The power-up placements are well chosen.

Yoshi's Red Race Coaster: I didn't beat it, but I liked that you created your own mini checkpoint system.

Another Day at the Office: I like the distinct look of this level and all the visual flourishes that make it seem like an office place. It's also confusing in it's layout. I was unsure where to go past the room with the dry bones at the top of the elevator.

Okay, I switched my latest level to Super Mario 3 style which actually turned out to be a better fit for how the level works except that the secret area is a little harder to reach now, but it's still doable. I made a couple minor tweaks to the stage to so it's a tad easier.

WVW69iY9kkwZhO7M9I

Title: There and Back Again v2.0
Difficulty: Medium
Code: FB72-0000-003D-1FC6

Let me know what you think and how it could be improved.

I loved this level. It's one of the few that I kept trying until I beat it. I couldn't tell from a design perspective whether it was built around the fact that you can take shells through pipes (as many as two pipes). This made it so you could skip portions of the level, but it also created a risk reward system where you could pick and choose which platforming challenges you were willing to repeat or skip altogether. This with the super mushroom placements made for a very interesting level. It's almost made me consider how unique risk-reward mechanics might be built for the player in created levels. Great job.

gp4FRMR.jpg

Spiny Mine Glacier

C366-0000-0051-9CCD

It actually looks like an ice level as well, kudos on that.
Good example of taking one idea and running with it, felt very SMB3.

My next stage isn't coming along at the rate I'd like so in the mean time I'd appreciate any feedback on my other levels

Feelin' Hot! Hot! Hot!
WVW69iZUzpotrUdfEl

(5433-0000-0046-88AB)
I spent ages on this, It does seemed to have payed off, got a lot of good words from gaffers and it easily my most popular level based on the stats

Watch Out! Moving Platforms!
(9C31-0000-0040-70A1)
WVW69iZEvd4UD1RZGz

My first attempt at a proper Mario style level, there some fun secrets and stuff in there, if your so inclined. Actual platforming is a little phoned in though.

Hold Jump To Bounce off Enemies!
WVW69iYqSS8FXJ6KhU

(56D5-0000-0034-56CF)
Level where you can almost never touch the ground and must bounce and wall jump to make it through

Flamin' Walls? Follow The Coins!
WVW69iX-jBQw8rnw4k

(A9A4-0000-0019-2255)
Mostly me playing with the wall jump ability. Got some good words from gaffers about this too.

jholmes

I would really appreciate some input on Jailbreak. I really do feel like I could make some improvements, but I'm really not certain where.

8D8D-0000-004E-8597

The goombas out of the pipes can fall at you down the shaft sometimes. The bigger issue is that the four doors late in the stage just punish the player arbitrarily, and after you ask them to do a lot of work to get there.

Kouichi

Really cool level, definitely has that SMB2 feel, despite the SMM engine not really wanting you to go from room to room the way you forced it to! One complaint: too many mushrooms! I'd probably have changed the one after the waterfall (well, it's a waterfall in the original) to a starman as you can usually get one at that point in the stage. Otherwise, quite nice!

Thanks for the feedback! Yeah I abused the one sub level limit to the best of my ability. I wanted people to keep playing as Shy Guy so I replaced cherries with mystery mushrooms haha. But even then, I added more than usual so you're right :p

tribal24

Banned
So i just bought Mario Maker and i see they release everything on certain days any way to unlock everything without having to wait?

gp4FRMR.jpg

Spiny Mine Glacier

C366-0000-0051-9CCD

Fantastic level, the difficultly was always in check, it was clear what I had to do and the pacing was spot on. Great work!

BooJoh

So i just bought Mario Maker and i see they release everything on certain days any way to unlock everything without having to wait?

Spend 5 mins in the editor, make sure you use every tool you've never used at least once. When it says a shipment will come tomorrow, start spamming blocks until the shipment arrives early. Repeat to get everything unlocked day 1.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
My next stage isn't coming along at the rate I'd like so in the mean time I'd appreciate any feedback on my other levels

Feelin' Hot! Hot! Hot!
WVW69iZUzpotrUdfEl

(5433-0000-0046-88AB)
I spent ages on this, It does seemed to have payed off, got a lot of good words from gaffers and it easily my most popular level based on the stats

Watch Out! Moving Platforms!
(9C31-0000-0040-70A1)
WVW69iZEvd4UD1RZGz

My first attempt at a proper Mario style level, there some fun secrets and stuff in there, if your so inclined. Actual platforming is a little phoned in though.

Hold Jump To Bounce off Enemies!
WVW69iYqSS8FXJ6KhU

(56D5-0000-0034-56CF)
Level where you can almost never touch the ground and must bounce and wall jump to make it through

Flamin' Walls? Follow The Coins!
WVW69iX-jBQw8rnw4k

(A9A4-0000-0019-2255)
Mostly me playing with the wall jump ability. Got some good words from gaffers about this too.

Feeling hot! Hot! Hot! was great, I gave it a star. It was a little long so I could see some players quitting on it, but I loved the ramp up in intensity at the end.

gp4FRMR.jpg

Spiny Mine Glacier

C366-0000-0051-9CCD

I wanted to make a water level in this style but nothing is going to come close to this. This was brilliant man. Well done.

I made a follow up to the 1-2 level I posted in here earlier. I'm unsure about the ending but again I tried to make it feel as much like an actual Mario level as I could.

I liked it, it does feel like an actual Mario level. I think you should submit something to the 1-1 contest.

Casterly Shroom (Hold & Tap Y) [SMW]
0BB1-0000-004F-CF08
Description: Venture Casterly Shroom of House Goombaster while going through a trial by Y combat. And maybe you'll find out if Tywin Goombaster really shits gold.

Fun level, I like how you teach the idea of the level in the first room.

Wario REALLY hates Goombas
6D4E-0000-004B-8333

waluigi trap mansion
6C31-0000-004C-38BF

The memorization level is interesting, though it can kinda get frustrating because it's rather long.

Lastly, I made a novelty level called Boo Ride. The name sums up exactly what needs to be done. It's short, to the point, but rather challenging. ID: F6C7-0000-004E-FF1D

This one wasn't too hard t wasn't too hard but I liked the gimmick and how it builds up tension the more boos are chasing you.

My first starred stage! I made a short, no-nonsense SMB level.

No Gimmicks, Just Super Mario: 5071-0000-004D-D47A

Please try it out.

The part I liked about this one is the vertical section. You can skip that section by jumping off a koopa, though, I'm not sure if that was intended.

This level is still sitting at 0 plays...will someone please try it?

I cleared it, it was pretty difficult. I thought you used Yoshi pretty well. I expect this level to have a very low completion rate.

I adjusted my possible 1-1 submission, took out Mega Bowser so you won't be chased, added enemies, and reduced the size of the large gap. I'd like some more advice on what it may need if anyone cares to try the stage and comment.

B97A-0000-004F-4C84

This is a fun level but it didn't really feel like a 1-1. I think a 1-1 level should teach the player some of the basic mechanics, and I felt like this level expects you to already be familiar with some of them.

This is the stage I'm most proud of. No gimmicks, no misleading pipes, no pipes at all actually, classic platformer with a fair amount of challenge but no cheap deaths. There's actually an easy way to beat this level if you're into that sort of thing, or there's the long tougher way if you're trying to master it.

The Sound A Thwomp Makes
A702-0000-0050-5B6D

Give me feedback on this one and I'll return the favor.

I like the challenge of this level, I first used that easy route I think (
using the red turtle into the skull platform thing
). Pretty fun. The one part a wasn't too fond of, though is the section with the three thwomps and a few bricks, I feel like it slows down the level too much.

I spent a lot of time making my third map but I havent go too much feedback. I would appreciate it a ton if some of you guys would give it a try. I think its my best level yet. I tried to make the layout logical and took advice from people about how my Bridges and Boos level was too slow. If you know what you are doing this level has very good speed run potential.

Under The Starry Sky
4694-0000-004D-7DD7

Great level, I really liked the alternate route at the top and the SMW-style bonus. Lots of fun.

I made a level with a checkpoint. Spent some time thinking about how best to do a checkpoint considering the game doesn't provide them, let me know what you think:

Level Title: Airborne Adventure
ID: BA82-0000-004F-4B0F

Besides the checkpoint it's a typical Airship SMB3 level I'd say.
I like the checkpoint, I first I thought it was kinda useless but now I get the idea behind it, that you discover an alternate route that you can use after you die, pretty cool.

Seiniyta

I feel like the normal difficulty 100 mario challenge offers the best designed levels; Expert is hrorible and easy is 1-1 remix heaven.

Memles

I've been really invested in the idea of verticality for whatever reason, so in wanting to diversify my available levels with a Super Mario World theme, I decided to work with that concept.

WVW69iZxmiIYZ2Gwiw

Level: "Vertical Horizons (5 1-ups)"
Course ID: 4433-0000-0051-6C4F
Difficulty: Low. A few obstacles to complicate platforming/traversal, but no enemies outside of those.
Secrets: As the title suggests, there are five 1-ups hidden in one section of the level. You're able to see where most of them are, but getting to them is another question.

Dyle

Hey GAF! Back with some more levels, would love any and all feedback (and stars!)

Yoshi's Origins
51D6-0000-004E-4261
Pretty good but I died by a spike right next to the goalpost. Those should be lowered a bit if you want more people to clear the course.

Waluigi's Aerial Escape
4975-0000-004E-8B43
Didn't really do much for me, besides the Waluigi skin. Starred it since I couldn't finish the first level.

Backdoor Bowser
428F-0000-004D-C856
This was my favorite of the three. You could probably use a mushroom or two before the parts with tons of spikes though.

I'm doing expert 100 man mario and this level is just a platform on a really really long rail with no obstacles. I have no idea when it's going to end. It's already been 3 minutes with no end in sight

Dad

I just made a level. It's called Inside the Mountain. Let me know what you think if you try it!

3920-0000-0051-CDED

You could probably use some semi-solid platforms in the background to make the mountain interior look more as intended.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I feel like the normal difficulty 100 mario challenge offers the best designed levels; Expert is hrorible and easy is 1-1 remix heaven.
I found normal to be meh. I like expert the best and worst. You have to skip a lot of bullshit, but there's more levels worth playing in expert.

WolvenOne

The goombas out of the pipes can fall at you down the shaft sometimes. The bigger issue is that the four doors late in the stage just punish the player arbitrarily, and after you ask them to do a lot of work to get there.

Okay, I fixed that and indeed I think it flows a bit better now.

Here's the new ID: 0AFF-0000-0051-F873

Input is still appreciated of course.

You could probably use some semi-solid platforms in the background to make the mountain interior look more as intended.

Oh, could you play this level for me? I took a lot of your advice for my first level way back (especially in regards to alternate paths) and I wanna see what you think. (For reference my first course was the one you said had the secret entrance too hard to get too)

Under The Starry Sky
4694-0000-004D-7DD7

Top Bottom