• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Two new courses. Well, one new and one course I updated to prevent "cheating".

+

ID: ED0A-000-0058-081E

A ten second level with a very simple design. Moderate challenge.

PipeException #1

ID: 790E-0000-0058-12E7

I fixed a part you could bypass by simply walking to the right. This shouldn't be possible anymore.

jarosh

Hello. I have made a level.

It is not a troll level, it does not play itself, it does not have the disco sound effect.

But it does offer a bit of a challenge, has a couple of secrets and one or two level design twists.

y7Q4MNU.png

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Hey man, as long as you enjoy makinh them and people find them quality who cares? The no effort pieces of shit do not become good just because they have stars. They still remain no effort pieces of shit. We'll play each othetrs levels. This game is a dream come true. I've playef so much quality on gaf.

Under The Starry Sky
4694-0000-004D-7DD7

I know, but getting little stars and barely any comments gives the feeling i'm doing something wrong and that people don't find them quality. They're not hard, mostly short and looks fun to play(but what do i know, maybe i'm biased on my own levels).

Seems like unless you make some truly unique level, or something automatic or music, your courses are just another among millions and will get ignored. Oh well, like you said, at least I have fun making them!

Tried your level, was a little hard near the end with those damn plants, but I made it. :p Felt like a course that could be in a Mario game(unlike mine haha).

ciD_Vain

Here is my third level. Took some advice from here and simplified some ideas i had and someone online finally gave me my first star on a level! Anyone care to try it out and give me some feedback? :]

Yoshi's Fireball Fun

Ghastly Ghost House
999D-0000-0058-5C5A

A challenging SMW themed ghost house. There are alternate ways to beat various aspects of the level. The obvious or most visible route isn't always the easiest!

Decided to make a level that anyone could play and have fun with. If you can beat the world record, leave a comment with your time!

Race Versus Buzzy Beetle!
0C68-0000-0058-9937

la8poEX.jpg

I know, but getting little stars and barely any comments gives the feeling i'm doing something wrong and that people don't find them quality. They're not hard, mostly short and looks fun to play(but what do i know, maybe i'm biased on my own levels).

Seems like unless you make some truly unique level, or something automatic or music, your courses are just another among millions and will get ignored. Oh well, like you said, at least I have fun making them!

Tried your level, was a little hard near the end with those damn plants, but I made it. :p Felt like a course that could be in a Mario game(unlike mine haha).

I feel ya. I mean the big thing is good level design is really tough. Gaf is crushing it but people in here spend days making one or two levels. With over a million courses uploaded in a week it is hard to stick out. Gimmicks work better but if even 50 people play your level and you get 5-10 stars you know you just provided a quality experience.

And hey, no meed to put your levels down man. I don't think I played a bad gaf level. Everything in this thread is so far ahead of the in game community that if people like you lost the ambition to create it would ruin it completely. Keep on keeping on man :)

Thanks for the level compliment. I seem to have found my calling. Smb3 levels. Almost finished my 4th stage. Started it yesterday. I think gaf will enjoy this one.

Sorry to post it again, but I worked for several hours last night, and I didn't really get much feedback. It looks like the few people who played it, most actually finished it, so maybe it's a little too easy? I dunno. I was mainly going for the World 7 of SMB3 style.

Anyway, if anyone is willing to check out my stage, and comment, I'd appreciate it!

Pipe Dream. ID: 6876-0000-0055-4389

RaidenZR

Made a new level with SMB 1 skin and an Amiibo costume- two things I had not previously attempted. Please give it a whirl. Help Shy Guy get through safe!

Shy Guy's Big Day!
D07B 0000 0058 96E8
WVW69iaEfE8OrPJGol

WVW69iaEgUEWFYTlKt

jnWake

New level! Acts as a sequel of 1-1: Rescue Mushroom Town.

WVW69iaELtongPj1sp

1-2: Clash on Mushroom Bridge: F268-0000-0058-80CC.

After saving Mushroom Town, Mario heads to destroy the airship led by commander Hammer Bro. However, taking down an airship may have unexpected consequences...

In this level I wanted to introduce SMB3's leaf, so the first part of the level is very easy and acts more as a playground for players to learn how to use that power-up. The level becomes much tougher after that. I tried to make some narrative in the level too, hopefully it's easy to catch.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Link to my other levels.

EDIT: Level has been replaced by a better looking version: Here.

I just unlocked
the Builder Mario costume
from completing the gnat swatting mini game. Has this been known, or
is it actually random which costume you get
?

vikki

Thank you. I know but I was sliding right by the block limit so I had to keep it simple. :(
I want to create a less linear level next but I just can't have thin walls in my levels. If the theme is underground then the walls have to be filled out! Am I too OCD about this?

Nah, it's preference. I like thick walls too. I didn't know there was a block limit, my stages aren't that big.

TrueBlue

Hey guys, my second upload to this game. Even if there are a million contenders, the process of making and refining a level is very fun.

That Cage is Getting Rusty...V1
CDF3-0000-0058-ACE7

This is a "Peach escapes the castle" level, and my first experience with the castle layout. As such I try to keep things challenging while providing the player with new obstacles at a decent pace. You can burst straight through and defeat Bowser, but I tried to make a challenge in reaching secret areas and giving the player the option to fight Kamek and Bowser Jr, plus one additional bonus room. I hope that it is a level that encourages repeat playthroughs.

Any constructive feedback would be appreciated.

I'll also repost my first level, a Sonic themed one:

Mushroom Kingdom Zone V1
60A3-0000-003E-8CDB

This one has 6 stars out of just under 30 players, so I'm quite pleased with how it turned out. I attempted to provide the multiple paths while putting some sections with an emphasis on speed and momentum. Like my new level, there are a few secret areas to be reached and explore.

I hope you enjoy!

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
I made a level today. It's based around a theme and I try to tell a story with it.

Basically, the Koopa Troopas are sick of being Bowser's lackeys. With the help of their ally Yoshi (you), they rise up to orchestrate their great escape and defeat their king.

mNsszP6.jpg

55GSmVE.jpg

Feedback is appreciated! Hope you enjoy it.

koam

Trying them out.

I would be grateful for some feedback on these (especially the last two):

Groundhog Day v3
(1550-0000-0056-E34C)
Mario is stuck in a time loop, and the same day is repeating endlessly. Can you find a way to escape the loop and fix time?
As usual, there are three hidden 1up mushrooms to find.

Thanks let me know what you think. I just tried the Groundhog day one. This is my favorite course so far. It's so much fun and so well thought out. Three extremely minor things:

1) In the bob-omb room, add a second block next to the spring so it's flush, if you land on the left side of the room and didn't pick it up, it's almost impossible to pick it up because of the little hop you need to do so you get stuck.

2) The doors are neat but they make the stage a tad too easy, consider moving the top right one a bit more on the left

3)
The jump that's all the way on the top right is really hard to find, I'd add a pair of coins to make it obvious.

Superb stage, starred it.

Sorry to post it again, but I worked for several hours last night, and I didn't really get much feedback. It looks like the few people who played it, most actually finished it, so maybe it's a little too easy? I dunno. I was mainly going for the World 7 of SMB3 style.

Anyway, if anyone is willing to check out my stage, and comment, I'd appreciate it!

Pipe Dream. ID: 6876-0000-0055-4389

Just played it. Its actually very good. It is pretty easy so if you were going dor world 7 level difficulty then you will have to make some changes to make it harder. Actually from the first 3 jumps I knew I liked the level. Very clean and easily layed out. I would say that I actually think what you did vertically was clever and since you have a lot of space left on the main world you could extend it with some harder sections. Maybe fill in a horizontal pipe section with a bit of difficulty followed by one final climb. I really like the level, I just am not sure if you are going beginner or above average for your demographic based on your comments.

Just played it. Its actually very good. It is pretty easy so if you were going dor world 7 level difficulty then you will have to make some changes to make it harder. Actually from the first 3 jumps I knew I liked the level. Very clean and easily layed out. I would say that I actually think what you did vertically was clever and since you have a lot of space left on the main world you could extend it with some harder sections. Maybe fill in a horizontal pipe section with a bit of difficulty followed by one final climb. I really like the level, I just am not sure if you are going beginner or above average for your demographic based on your comments.

Thanks for the feedback. I guess when it comes to creating a decent challenge, I'm not really sure how to do it very well yet. I'm not crazy about some of the insanely difficult levels I've seen people put out, but I wouldn't mind trying to figure out how to do something where it's still rewarding. Just haven't gotten there yet.

so if I dont get this until xmas, will there still be enough creativity to make my own levels or will i be too far behind everyone elses ideas? i.e. worth getting at xmas?

I have three new levels to share with GAF.

Starting with my "best one".

Double Fudge Brownie Surprise!: F579-0000-0058-4E08
Mario Brothers 3 Theme; Moderate difficulty

Spicy Zesty Meatball: B66F-0000-004B-85FD
Super Mario World Theme; Pretty dang hard castle level

Super Duper Delicious Cupcake: 1E0E-0000-0038-3DF7

Super Mario World Theme; Bullshit hard level, good luck

koam

so if I dont get this until xmas, will there still be enough creativity to make my own levels or will i be too far behind everyone elses ideas? i.e. worth getting at xmas?

It's like you're asking, "if I wait till xmas to get my crayons and paper will it be too late or will everyone have already drawn everything?" There's no lack of new ideas with this game, there a tons of stages that can be made! :)

RMI

Banned
following on the theme of my first stage:

No Gimmicks, Just Super Mario: 5071-0000-004D-D47A

I made a second stage:

No Gimmicks, Just Super Mario 2: 6912-0000-0057-D670

There are some tricky to get one-ups, one of which is really difficult and you only get one shot at it. I think the initial challenge area is too difficult, and maybe I should have reversed the order of some of the elements on the course, but in any case I think it is a better course than my first one, and didn't require that many additional elements (I'm still unlocking stuff).

Please try it out.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
I got some plays/stars last night in my level but no feedback so I'll repost it:

1-1 Rescue Mushroom Town: 1D4B-0000-0053-C672.

This is a 1-1 difficulty level where I try to introduce the most basic mechanics while also having some challenge and a unique look.

For advanced players there are tons of secrets to find and for speedrunners I challenge you to beat the level in 19 (or less) seconds.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Really fun level man. It wasn't super challenging but it was well designed. Design felt pretty well realized, I would have prefered platformer difficulty towards the end rather than the abundance of enemies.

I did find an early fire flower, though.

weepy

How the heck do you guys get so many stars? Is there better ways of getting your creations noticed that I don't know about? I try not to pimp my levels too hard on here but maybe I should...

No one wants to try this? Has zero players so far.

Congrats, you officially created a top 3 water level. That shit was super good. The look is phenominal, there is a solid challenge in the water parts. You managed to make the branching really organic so it was adventurous. Honestly, this was really good, I wish it was longer.

If there was any weakness in your level it was the none water part surprsingly. Took me a seond try to understand it was actually the lost city. I love the concept but maybe a different philophy for the inside. It felt like you perfected the water part but then sorta didn't know where to take the land part. Maybe a dead man's theme with spikes and dry bones? I dunno.

Overall this was a really good level. I'm def going to show it off to my friends, they will be very impressrd. I found all 3 lives btw. Good hiding spots.

Seiniyta

Okay, this was a level I was almost going to delete but a friend said to never throw away my creations. So I've spent like 5+ hours making this level. I cut the boss encounter at the end out as I felt the stage was getting lengthy and getting killed at the end by a tough bossfight wouldn't feel good. I'm moving that bossfight to it's own level.

I also spent quite a bit on the visuals on this one.

Goomba 1-4

TC4ACTm.jpg
m1INpsg.jpg

ID: 596F-0000-0058-DA60

BowieZ

Banned
I really feel my suggestion a few pages ago was overlooked, so I think I'll post it again. Nobody thinks this is a good idea?

I had a thought that might be really old, but has anyone suggested the idea of a standalone downloadable app of just Course World? Maybe charge $9.99 or something, and then people who feel like they can't justify spending $50+ on a full game can just get all the user generated content and 100 Mario Mode, which has the added advantage of throwing more players, raters and commenters into the mix, rather than 'relying' on creators having to create the levels (which ideally take a long time to make) and play all the levels...

Thanks for the feedback. I guess when it comes to creating a decent challenge, I'm not really sure how to do it very well yet. I'm not crazy about some of the insanely difficult levels I've seen people put out, but I wouldn't mind trying to figure out how to do something where it's still rewarding. Just haven't gotten there yet.
it may help yo plug in SMB3 and play worlds 3, 6 and 7 just to get an idea of how the difficulty is created. World 6, 7 have a lot of things in there that can kill you and the levels are much more dense than the rest of the game. You're level had a lot of free space to move around and because it was vertical jumping without any pits, lava, spikes or enemies position to hurt you on a miss, there is no real penalty to making mistakes.

All this stuff comes with practice, observing other peoples stages and feedback. It'll intuitively get easier. But your level was solid as hell and if it was in 100 man mario it would be getting a ton of like. You did well man.

Dragmire

Mario Ware

WVW69iaFMB8Bm5YwPy

DCEF-0000-0058-E947

A very fast-paced Wario Ware-themed level, with some 'randomness' and goofiness. Moderately hard. Can you win the level in time?

Thud

0GhLSDz.png

I reconsidered my decision and I hereby submit my level for the community contest #1. I just want a lot of people to play it, because I think it's fun and if you want some challenge you can look for it. The reason I did not want to submit is simple, there are already a lot of submissions and it's always tricky to not be derivative of SMB 1-1, especially since I used the SMB style. I think the ground tiles in SMB are perfect and everybody knows SMB 1-1, so I felt right at home with SMB.

With that in mind I made a stage to be just as fun as 1-1 with secrets hidden in a relative safe area. The underground in particular are bonus rooms and I wanted players to collect the stuff without dying. At first the stage was my adaption of SMB 1-1 from memory, then I made several edits to include items from different games to fit the setting I was going for. Having a setting in mind I changed the level bit by bit. Now it stands on it's own. I was more generous with pitfalls, I have 3 in total. The enemy placement is friendly, however there is a mario maker tint to it. You'll see it when you play. The mushrooms reminded me of Lost Levels and so I just tacked it in the name.

Now the challenge is finding all the secrets, collecting all the coins and the hidden 1-UP mushroom. It is possible, I did it myself while uploading. Now the bad part is, it doesn't teach the player anything you wouldn't find in a normal mario game. I took some inspiration from Robin64's level.

The pikmin goes pretty well with the mushrooms and vines

All in all it's a new mix. I hope a lot of people at least play it, I got a bit sad that only 6 people played it :(.

Sorry for increasing the workload guys :p. Anyway without further ado:

Thud/Thuddert
Mushroom World 1-1 (Lost Levels)
SMB style 1-1 with a mushroom setting. Lots of fun little bonus rooms are accesible and I gave the player a few power ups. The real challenge would be to get all the coins and 1-ups without getting a powerup.
2AA0-0000-0056-DCFF

WVW69iaAKFgiDm_f7Q

Orgen

0GhLSDz.png

Name: Underground Tutorials
Code: E556-0000-0058-E139

Notes:

- 3 sections (Jump, Wall Jump and money switch) with a tutorial through a pipe (hence the name).
- One hidden path that will make you use all you've learned in the level.
- 3 Hidden 1-UP
- New Super Mario Bros style

PS: Didn't have time to make a screenshot, sorry :(

0GhLSDz.png

My entry in the 1-1 competition.

Koopa Island 1-1 (C9A4-0000-0058-FA99)
Slightly amended from the previous upload. This level focuses on use of shells. Maybe slightly complex for a 1-1 level but the completion rate tells me that it is pitched around the right difficulty. Give it a try and let me know what you think.

l2fnQwZm.jpg

Also reposting the level I posted a few pages back as have had no feedback.

Come on former Speccy owners - this one's for you!

Manic Plumber ZX (3800-0000-0057-EB4F)

AVNSvNJm.jpg

tariniel

Last night I thought to myself: 'You always make long, complicated courses that no-one can finish. I should do another one in the vein of Beginner's Guide (BE18-0000-004D-59FC), keeping it short and simple.'

Then this happened.

That was very fun! I liked the aesthetic of the level, very well done.

How did you put the creators challenge bubble at the beginning?

bon

I've finished my second course. This one is of average difficulty, probably.

look out!
ID: B6BF-0000-0058-EED3

Yes, I'm still in the phase where I think putting lots of enemies on screen is cool.

Xscapist

You might remember me from such strange-but-simple levels as Peach's Escape (1D2E-0000-0031-94E6) and WARPED (9888-0000-0024-DDAB). Or you might not, they're way back in the thread now.

But if you do, you might enjoy this new one. What is...

The Secret Of The Sunken Ship? (7C17-0000-0058-DBB1)

X38IuV1.png

Designed to be more narrative than challenging.

Also: Involves TIME TRAVEL. It's not the underwater level you think it is.

jholmes

It's a bit frustrating that you can't really get a lot of stars with normal stages. I have on gimmicky stage that sits at over 50 stars currently while all my other more normal stages are below 20.

Also:
No one wants to try this? Has zero players so far.

It's fun! I think it's a little too easy to get swept up into the long section up top with the 1-up, and I don't quite like how tight your really close spaces are, but this is a solid water level. Looks like it's getting some plays now, too!

No longer submitting this for the GAF contest, although hopefully you guys will check it out :)Tiny Huge Island - AB62-0000-0059-1BA4
WVW69iaFmnAmOv36hC

It's based on the gimmick from the classic Mario 64 level where there is 2 alternate versions of the same level that you can switch between with standard enemies and massive ones. I feel like this level is a nice introduction to the size-switching mechanic, making it probably my best candidate for the contest!

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
Okay, made my second level. A little tricky ( I think?).

Castle of (some) Doom

DEDF-0000-0059-09E4

I never know what to name my levels.

Hey! This is my entry into the GAF 1-1 contest:
Tiny Huge Island - AB62-0000-0059-1BA4
WVW69iaFmnAmOv36hC

It's based on the gimmick from the classic Mario 64 level where there is 2 alternate versions of the same level that you can switch between with standard enemies and massive ones. I feel like this level is a nice introduction to the size-switching mechanic, making it probably my best candidate for the contest!

Definitely going to play this. For reference though, that gimmick is actually first explored in SMB3 :p

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Collection of my (honest) thoughts from a few levels I played this afternoon. Only one (complete) playthrough per level. If this isn't the thread for this, let me know.

Levels chosen mostly at random. If you want me to review your level in the future, PM it to me.

B725 - 0000 - 0058 - CA7B
OK level. Wasn't very challenging at all (it is a 1-1 level) and I don't feel like I platformed a lot. Secret room with the star seemed kind of pointless - or maybe I missed something.

following on the theme of my first stage:

No Gimmicks, Just Super Mario: 5071-0000-004D-D47A
No Gimmicks, Just Super Mario 2: 6912-0000-0057-D670
First: Well designed, short level. I thought a missed jump made me stuck, but you designed an alternate path which adds difficulty. Rewards players for skillful jumps. Only thing I didn't like was
the koopa that comes out in the beginning block.

Second: Really liked the mechanic to get the first mushroom. Good idea. Definitely will be a more difficult level for beginner players. I like how you don't punish platform failure with death, just make it more difficult for the player. Really enjoyed this level. A good amount of challenge.

~ Diddy Kong's Kong Gloomy Jungle ~

7B44-0000-0053-C416

Tricky level. Mechanic was well intrroduced and had a good but fun difficulty. Loved the Diddy Kong theme. Overall I really enjoyed this level - although on replays it lost it's luster (having to do the first few parts over). This can only be resolved with checkpoints, though.
It's funny that the final p-block rush was the easiest, just go back through the door and fall. Not sure if you intended this.

I've uploaded a revised version of my Groundhog Day level:

Groundhog Day v3
(1550-0000-0056-E34C)

This level was amazing. A great puzzle mechanic, and took me a while to figure out how to use the last item. You managed to make your level have a nice "open-world" mechanic
I know it's strange, but you must continually traverse the level (left to right, right to left) and collect/kill different things.
. I think the sawblades were really confusing to me, I'm assuming there's a life up there but they made that area seem too important and it distracted me for a while.

Top Bottom