• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

jholmes

Color-Coded Cavern (EFA7-0000-0059-B58E)

fr1p4Lh.jpg

Whoa! Clever work with the piranha plants. I'll have to try this!

ChrisD

Submission for the SMM-GAF Community Contest #1

Neo Super Mario Bros. W1-1
EC81-0000-0059-CE01

Goodness sake, thumbs-up for all the thought and effort put into this, man! I feel you may have fit TOO much information in, but it's all executed so well. Two or three plays through and I'm sure most of it would soak in. And lets be honest, new players are never going to finish a Mario game in their first go, so multiple plays through the first stage is a given.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Goodness sake, thumbs-up for all the thought and effort put into this, man! I feel you may have fit TOO much information in, but it's all executed so well. Two or three plays through and I'm sure most of it would soak in. And lets be honest, new players are never going to finish a Mario game in their first go, so multiple plays through the first stage is a given.

The beauty of a 1-1 is that the player often isn't even actively thinking about what he's learning, so the stage seems less busy than it is. A Mario veteran probably wouldn't even consider 75% of what I just posted without having it pointed out to him. My 1-1 sticks to the same tools as SMB 1-1 for the most part. I use 2 Koopa Troopas instead of 1, and I add two Piranha Plants at the end where the original stage had none. One short vine section is basically all that separates it in style.

On the other hand, I demonstrate fewer power-ups than SMB1 did; I never used a Starman.

EDIT: The strength of using the SMB1 tool set is that it forces you to think of a purpose for everything that you place, because you have much fewer tools to work with and you have to keep coming up with new ways to make them effective and interesting. But once you start to think with goal-oriented design, actually designing set-pieces and building stages out of them gradually feels more and more natural.

ohNOitsRO

New page self quote!

Guys I made a stage which I'm really proud of design wise.. It's a take on the inverted ghost house.. You go through one way and everything is flipped and vice versa several times. It took me forever to get the details and spacing right and also tried to make it not a bore fest to get through. I'd REALLY love for any of you guys to try it out and let me know if it's any good.

Gravity Manor
ID:C2FC-0000-0059-4C5C

Thank you guys! The thirst for 150 stars is real!

Neoweee

My latest course:

Color-Coded Cavern (EFA7-0000-0059-B58E)

C96AbcT.jpg

lWVdG4o.jpg

fr1p4Lh.jpg

hjjdUz0.jpg

A continuation of Garden Garrison (B8EA-0000-004B-81DE). Mario takes the elevator found in the fortress he infiltrated to find an enormous cavern. The creatures within have adapted to the differently colored walls the cavern features.

Good work. Lots of nifty tricks that I'll have to learn from.

Tritroid

Just finished a pretty difficult one that i'm semi-proud of (the bowser fight alone is rough):

D3D0-0000-0058-9FA4

Please give me stars GAF!

Meohsix

I don't know if this has been discussed, but has anyone else discovered that Kamek/Magikoopa can make the goal pole disappear, rendering a level unbeatable?

I posted a level just before with the kamek/flag pole thing.
The pole comes back after you kill him. Don't think it can become unbeatable

Edit: my stage
I found a pretty cool little thing I'm not too sure many people have figured out.
I made a little 3 room (with a shortcut if you find it) level to show it off (it's at the end)

Now you see it, now you don't!
06BC-0000-005A-32FC

if you put a Magikoopa behind the flag pole he'll make it disappear and it won't come back until you beat him.

Peltz

0GhLSDz.png

My stage for the contest is simply called "NeoGAF... Believe!"

Edit, I needed to fix something on the course. The new course ID for the contest is:

47B6-0000-005A-F748

It's packed with secrets, including an easter-egg only a few people will find (unless they download the level and look at it in the editor).

I think it's a simple course that is perfect for beginners, but with enough secrets and playfulness for an advanced user to enjoy replaying over and over again. Enjoy poking around in it :)

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks! So is difficulty ok? It's currently sitting at 192 plays with 0 clears, so I was wondering if I should adjust the difficulty...

Oh man, I totally forgot to go back and beat it.

I think there's quite a bit of trial and error, but it flows really well. My biggest criticism has nothing to do with difficulty, but the presentation is boring.

You're looking at the same thing over and over. Maybe add enemies/obstacles here and there, even if you don't use them to jump off of, at least it's something to look at.

If you want more people to clear maybe add a few more seconds. I know right now you have to be absolutely perfect to beat it. I think as long as it's fun people will go back to beat their best times anyway.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Why the heck are the top 10 levels in Mario Maker all basically automatic levels ? I'm personally finding it more and more unmotivated now to make proper Mario levels. Seems like you need to make a level that does something really niche and people will think the level is great. Guess I'm ranting a bit, but yeah it's difficult to make traditional Mario levels and get noticed in this game.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
How do you take those screenshots?

I used my capture card for those. They're all screenshots of the same Youtube video I posted.

Miiverse can be used to obtain single screenshots, although it would be cumbersome to use it to take as many shots as I just did.

This was a solid level. No real flaws. Maybe consider changing the red bomb launcher to black. It fires really fast off screen and kills. I think this has potential to be expanded into a longer level. Good job.

New page self quote!

This was an incredible level. Really well thought out. The flips were logic but clear. Difficulty was good. Using the fire flower to light the bombs was excellent. I loved it. I wish I could gice you more stars.

Any of yall willing to try my newest level?

Ice Bridge To Eternity
C01F-0000-0059-2F20

Thud

Neo Super Mario Bros. W1-1
EC81-0000-0059-CE01

Youtube playthrough

tutorial01.png

Very detailed post!! Seems like we both started with similar ideas, but going separate ways.

I spend more time on the general vibe than thinking up new mechanics constructively like you did. I added stuff according to my own liking. Curiosity is definitely rewarded in my level.

I think you'll find it interesting. Can't wait to play yours :)

Removed my earlier submission and am using this old level I made instead. It's very simple but it's much more 1-1 like, it's made to teach the basics of the level which is switching between Mario and Luigi. It's called Mario & Luigi: Partners in Grime . Enjoy!

24BB-0000-005A-B5A5
WVW69iaJei4QC-kUcU

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Here's two more short reviews of some levels. I'd consider myself average at platformers.

If you'd like me to play your level and post it here with my review, PM me. Otherwise I take at random from the thread/other places.

Both of these levels are pretty long (or seem to be). I try about 30 times before I come back and give my short write-up.

From a PM:
kiryogi said:
Escape Boo's Haunted Lab !.!
ID: B42A-0000-0054-6B32

HAVE NOT BEATEN.

I think there's a stark difference between a level being hard and a level being unfair. Things like off-screen hammer bros are not fun - ever. Or the floor ghost being in a 1-tile space, so if I go that way dying just depends on my luck. Those things just get frustrating on repeat playthroughs. The laughing @ the player is no fun, either. I can handle the deceptive arrows; ghost levels are meant to be a little tricky.

I liked, what seemed to be, multiple paths. I was never sure I was going the proper way, though. I haven't been able to pass the flying hammer bro / Boo Spike maze. I can get the flying cart (kill the hammer bro) but traversing the spikes is just frustrating with a randomly bouncing boo. Even with getting the star beforehand. Difficulty should be skill based, randomness is ok every once in a while but shouldn't define a level (imo).

Eight Melodies (Smiles & Tears): AEF5-0000-0057-14EB
HAVE NOT BEATEN YET.

A very well realized level. Haven't beaten it yet - but plan on coming back to it. I've never played Earthbound but had fun with the level. The "boss battles" are all great and well realized. It's difficult but fair - the only reason I haven't beaten it is because it's so long and I don't feel like going through everything again for the 10th time. I did discovery a few shortcuts.

Some of the platforming segments are annoying - the musical blocks are unreliable and when you have us ride the chain and launch to the next section you hit the sawblades unless you duck. Kind of annoying and I don't think it's intended.

Can't emphasize enough how much I like your boss battles. Cool ideas.

IceMarker

This was a solid level. No real flaws. Maybe consider changing the red bomb launcher to black. It fires really fast off screen and kills. I think this has potential to be expanded into a longer level. Good job.

I assume you're talking about Steel Skies? Thanks, I appreciate the feedback!

urfe

This is my latest. I'm focusing only on platforming and there's tricky jumps, but it should be impossible to die.

I only using characters in the Mario 1 mode, and so there's no enemies so you can't get out of character.

Going to get through the thread now. Enjoying adding people to my list. Much better having people you know make good levels than doing random ones.

ohNOitsRO

This was an incredible level. Really well thought out. The flips were logic but clear. Difficulty was good. Using the fire flower to light the bombs was excellent. I loved it. I wish I could gice you more stars.

Any of yall willing to try my newest level?

Ice Bridge To Eternity
C01F-0000-0059-2F20

Wow man, that is really amazing to hear honestly, I'm glad you enjoyed the level :) I will be playing yours shortly

Could someone play my 3-4 Castle stage and tell me what they think of the Bowser Jr. Boss Battle? The stage has a ridiculously low clear rate compared to my other stages, but the Boss Battle is in a sub level so I can't see what is causing so much death.

Pesca 3-4
(81F3-0000-0056-BA32)

Masked Man

I said wow
HAVE NOT BEATEN YET.

A very well realized level. Haven't beaten it yet - but plan on coming back to it. I've never played Earthbound but had fun with the level. The "boss battles" are all great and well realized. It's difficult but fair - the only reason I haven't beaten it is because it's so long and I don't feel like going through everything again for the 10th time. I did discovery a few shortcuts.

Some of the platforming segments are annoying - the musical blocks are unreliable and when you have us ride the chain and launch to the next section you hit the sawblades unless you duck. Kind of annoying and I don't think it's intended.

Can't emphasize enough how much I like your boss battles. Cool ideas.

Thanks so much for your review! The "duck to avoid sawblades" is actually part of the design. Costume Mario is unique in that he is the same size as Small Mario, but he can break blocks and duck to avoid obstacles just like Big Mario. Your height and abilities both play a big role in navigating the level. Also, really glad you like the boss battles! Sadly, the enemies available didn't allow for perfect one-to-one representations of the original Sanctuary Guardians, but I tried. ;)

I agree about the music blocks being unreliable, though, and I blame the in-game physics. I've found a slight delay between the Gamepad and the TV. If you're having difficulty timing the spring jump on one screen, try using the other and see how that works. :)

urfe

It took me roughly a week to get everything in place, but my EarthBound stage is finally complete!

Eight Melodies (Smiles & Tears): AEF5-0000-0057-14EB
WVW69iaDaZ0T_24x2r

Play as Ness, traveling in search of the Eight Melodies while enjoying famous locales and facing off with familiar foes from the original game.

Eight Melodies is relatively long—it is based on a JRPG, after all—but I managed to complete it in about 250 seconds. The stage has a little bit of everything, though, from puzzles ("How do I beat this Sanctuary Guardian?") to platforming ("Where's Balloon Monkey when you need him?") as well as a little something extra ("Shrooom!").

WVW69iaDbgI2BXeEK4

Face off against the Titanic Ant at Giant Step!

WVW69iaDcbgD8ZWhvY

Paint the town blue with the Happy Happyists!

WVW69iaDiz8mJ_yCKE

Revisit a place loosely based off of Fourside!

All that and more in Eight Melodies (Smiles & Tears)!

This is amazing, perhaps my favorite game, but it's really hard. I think I got quite far, but am going to take a break. Definite いいね and I'll favorite you.

ChrisD

New page self quote!

So I really like the level. The execution is great.

But this game REALLY NEEDS CHECKPOINTS. I made it pretty far and died. Went through again and died early on. Few more tries and I'm good for now. Maybe I'm just the epitome of impatient, but those tries were enough to sway me from playing again atm.

Don't take that the wrong way, I'm not saying there's an issue with your level. The length seems well-paced, you pull off the concept well, there's nothing unfair. I'll definitely try it again later on. But an optional halfway marker would make everything in this game so, so much better.

Pikma

Banned
So here's my latest level:

WVW69iaGk7sWIR2QUB

It's a sequel to one of my first levels, Mega Plumber, but this time I decided to go big and completely remade the Metal Man level from Mega Man 2.

Been working on this baby for like 5 days now, which is probably too much but really tried to make it as faithful as possible, and I almost achieved 1:1 but had to make some changes to make it a more enjoyable/challenging experience.

Hope you guys enjoy it.

Will gladly give it a try!
Reposting this from two pages back since I'd love to get some feedback, since even though it is faithful to the original version I'm still not sure if I made enough changes to make it a fun course since not all elements translate the same way.

ChrisD

Reposting this from two pages back since I'd love to get some feedback, since even though it is faithful to the original version I'm still not sure if I made enough changes to make it a fun course since not all elements translate the same way.

Need a code. It's not in the picture (unless I'm blind). :p

Masked Man

I said wow
This is amazing, perhaps my favorite game, but it's really hard. I think I got quite far, but am going to take a break. Definite いいね and I'll favorite you.

Yeah, I really think they need to add Checkpoints as DLC. :/
I'd say Winters and Pink Cloud are probably the two hardest sections of the stage, the former because of platforming and the latter because of Thunder & Storm constantly chasing you around. If you need any tips, just let me know! ;D

How do you take your screenshots?

You can take really high quality screenshots by doing this:

1) get to where you want to take a screenshot

2) press the home button

3) open the internet

4) navigate to i.nintendo.net

5) log into one of the accounts there...in my opinion tumblr does the highest quality uploads

6) choose which screen to upload, top or bottom, obviously top is higher res

And then you're done!

RowdyReverb

Could someone play my 3-4 Castle stage and tell me what they think of the Bowser Jr. Boss Battle? The stage has a ridiculously low clear rate compared to my other stages, but the Boss Battle is in a sub level so I can't see what is causing so much death.

Pesca 3-4
(81F3-0000-0056-BA32)
Bowser Jr. can be a little tricky in general before you learn his pattern because he draws you into and then jumps back and kills you. I don't think it's any fault of your level design though

MouldyK

Reposting one more time before I sleep:

Firebar Maze: The course with 31 Tries from 6 people and only 1 Victor (Our very own Gotdatmoney). Will you be next? 13F4-0000-0058-BA73

Also, try a level my friend made if you got the time, which is also proving difficult with a 12% Success Rate: F203-0000-0058-E061

Platy

0GhLSDz.png

u7NbQEN.jpg

(2EDF-0000-005B-0770)

My level is called "1st Level of Konami's 2016's Mario" !
....actualy is just "1st Level of Konami's 16's Mario" but that's the idea =P

Basicaly a joke "if Mario Bros was made these days" in Mario Maker level form.

Lists of spoilers that can be found on this magical level :
Pre Order !
Never get lost !
Not exactly remake of original level !
"Let's do this part like that game that really sold !"
Pachinko !
DLC !
Mobile !
And more !

RowdyReverb

80F7-0000-005A-83FF
"The Y Button"

I made a pretty straight SMB1 platformer which requires the player to effectively run (e.g. running over gaps). I'm still waiting on my additional tools to arrive, but this stuff is enough for now. What do you think of the difficulty?

kiryogi

Banned
Here's two more short reviews of some levels. I'd consider myself average at platformers.

If you'd like me to play your level and post it here with my review, PM me. Otherwise I take at random from the thread/other places.

Both of these levels are pretty long (or seem to be). I try about 30 times before I come back and give my short write-up.

From a PM:

HAVE NOT BEATEN.

I think there's a stark difference between a level being hard and a level being unfair. Things like off-screen hammer bros are not fun - ever. Or the floor ghost being in a 1-tile space, so if I go that way dying just depends on my luck. Those things just get frustrating on repeat playthroughs. The laughing @ the player is no fun, either. I can handle the deceptive arrows; ghost levels are meant to be a little tricky.

I liked, what seemed to be, multiple paths. I was never sure I was going the proper way, though. I haven't been able to pass the flying hammer bro / Boo Spike maze. I can get the flying cart (kill the hammer bro) but traversing the spikes is just frustrating with a randomly bouncing boo. Even with getting the star beforehand. Difficulty should be skill based, randomness is ok every once in a while but shouldn't define a level (imo).

Woo thank you for playing. Very interesting that folks get stuck on the spike tunnel. There are many different ways to approach that tunnel though, so not really sure if there's a means to relax it. Although, I never thought of the Boo being random, you can manipulate his movement actually. Hrrrrmm. Meanwhile I think everyone hates that hammer Bros in the beginning and he is a mean bugger, so he'll probably get scratched.

RAWi

Took me some time but here we go...

- Super Mario Ice Climber -

ID: CA6F-0000-005B-3978

12027748_10153217642661884_1371651730078636847_n.jpg

Climb it until the very end! :D!

Top Bottom