• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Dragon Age: Origins Screenshots And Trailer

Stage On

It's strange I usually like rpgs and this is the big fall/winter one for this year and yet I don't seem to want it at all and I don't know why.

I will say that all the blood seems a bit gratuitous. The trailers with the heavy (and sucky) rock music seem to screem "look at me, I'm violant for the sake of being violant not becuse it adds anything to the game"

I'd love the dragon armour for Mass effect 2, but since I'm on the fence about the game itself it seems a little steap to buy it just for that.

Tubobutts

Stage On said:
It's strange I usually like rpgs and this is the big fall/winter one for this year and yet I don't seem to want it at all and I don't know why.

I will say that all the blood seems a bit gratuitous. The trailers with the heavy (and sucky) rock music seem to screem "look at me, I'm violant for the sake of being violant not becuse it adds anything to the game"

I'd love the dragon armour for Mass effect 2, but since I'm on the fence about the game itself it seems a little steap to buy it just for that.

Did you watch the quick look?

NewLib

Banned
That Quick Look got a lot of my hopes back up. Looked like what Ive been missing from my RPGs recently. I love the amount of spells and the difficulty.

Mrbob

Son of a gun watching the giant bomb quick look definitely makes it look like the pc version is the way to go if you have access to it. But I will be getting ME2 on 360 since this is where my ME save file is and I want the bonus armor for the game. :lol

Are there any console gameplay videos floating around? Everything looks so natural on the pc, want to see if the console interface is as good.

Stage On

Tiamatsword22 said:
Did you watch the quick look?

Yah, it looked kind of boring to be honest. The pacing on the combat seems slow and the animation looks kind of stiff

I'm not usually a graphics whore since I love playing old games, but something about this game's graphics just looks off to me.

Mrbob said:
Son of a gun watching the giant bomb quick look definitely makes it look like the pc version is the way to go if you have access to it. But I will be getting ME2 on 360 since this is where my ME save file is and I want the bonus armor for the game. :lol

Are there any console gameplay videos floating around? Everything looks so natural on the pc, want to see if the console interface is as good.

I think the code you get is just unlock code via EA store and it will be platform agnostic according to them. ie you can buy any versions of Dragon Age and the code will let you unlock any version of ME2 you buy later.

antiquegamer said:
I think the code you get is just unlock code via EA store and it will be platform agnostic according to them. ie you can buy any versions of Dragon Age and the code will let you unlock any version of ME2 you buy later.

Correct. That's why there's even a download code with the PS3 version of Dragon Age.

Stage On said:
Yah, it looked kind of boring to be honest. The pacing on the combat seems slow and the animation looks kind of stiff

I'm not usually a graphics whore since I love playing old games, but something about this game's graphics just looks off to me.

I had the opposite reaction. If anything it made me MORE excited for this game. Only thing is now I'm even more uncertain between console and PC versions.. I really want the PS3 version to be decent, but I just don't know how it can be when the PC version controls are so fluid.

Looking good. I imagine the console versions will play very similar to kotor. Just a few more weeks and we'll all be able to grab a whore and have a good time!
Muahahahaha!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The game looks awesome in that quick look. It looks like it runs really well on decent PC hardware (aren't they running a GT260 at Giantbomb?), and the interface looks really smooth and streamlined as well. I can't wait to get my hands on this game.

taoofjord

While the Giantbomb guys are obnoxious as hell, that gameplay-focused "quicklook" actually made my opinion of the game more favorable. This game might actually come through, after all :O

K.Jack said:
Which digital CE comes with the Warden's Keep? All I'm seeing is Stone Prisoner...
Warden's Keep is day 1 DLC. I don't think it comes packed in any edition. I mean how else would they get to charge you for it.

The PC version looks good, I really like the iso view really remind me of Buldur's Gate. My PC however just slightly above min. requirement and I am not looking to upgrade anytime soon so hoping 360 version is at least decent.

NewLib

Banned
antiquegamer said:
The PC version looks good, I really like the iso view really remind me of Buldur's Gate. My PC however just slightly above min. requirement and I am not looking to upgrade anytime soon so hoping 360 version is at least decent.

From what I understand about the 360 version is that it has a completely different Interface more similar to the one from Mass Effect.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Lostconfused said:
Warden's Keep is day 1 DLC. I don't think it comes packed in any edition. I mean how else would they get to charge you for it.
Nah, I found it. In online some stores, it's included with the PC version.

I guess D2D gets my money.

garath said:
Don't forget the PC version has been done for months and months. It's original release date was back in the spring with the consoles to follow this fall. It was a business decision to wait until the console ports were done. The only job left for the last few months was bug fixes and console ports. I can't imagine the designers or artists were participating much in that (though I could be wrong). They literally had a ton of time to work on new content that would not be QA'd in time for the console ports.

Now if they just finished it all recently I'd be more inclined to believe the "omg they are holding back parts for monies!" theory, but they didn't so I'm not.
You. You understand.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Lostconfused said:

Yeah no, Warden's Keep is free for all Digital Deluxe Editions since they still cost $65 same as the retail boxes but dont come with any of the goody items like the cloth map and shit.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
K.Jack said:
I guess D2D gets my money.

If you care at all Steam is also going to be getting DAO they just finished the deal today and they should have it up and available by next week.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Mrbob said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXtVSl1n_Mk

Found this:
360controls1.jpg

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Enduin said:
If you care at all Steam is also going to be getting DAO they just finished the deal today and they should have it up and available by next week.

Are you sure? Was this confirmed somewhere or is this some inside info you have? Either way I would prefer to get it on Steam so I will wait until a few days before release before going to another DL service.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Enduin said:
Yeah, I just discovered that every DD retailer will be selling the Digital Deluxe Edition, so I'll be buying from Steam, unless Valve doesn't get the DDE, in which case I'll go with Impulse.

Even Giant Bomb's awful play and commentary managed to make the game look SIGNIFICANTLY more interesting than all the trailers Bioware has put out the past what...5-6 months?

Wag

I would imagine the 360 controller option is intact in the PC version as well (just an assumption) as it is almost in every PC game these days (although why you'd want to play it that way is beyond me).

NewLib said:
From what I understand about the 360 version is that it has a completely different Interface more similar to the one from Mass Effect.
It's also sporting a pretty significant visual downgrade if you trust Chris Remo. A min-spec PC might not be so bad in comparison, maybe.

Teknopathetic said:
Even Giant Bomb's awful play and commentary managed to make the game look SIGNIFICANTLY more interesting than all the trailers Bioware has put out the past what...5-6 months?

Agreed. It says a lot about how bad Bioware's advertising and marketing for this game has been, for sure. It's a hardcore PC RPG... being advertised in a way that will completely turn off the core market for those games. Yet it'll probably not have mass-market console success because, well, once people actually play or see more of it they'll realize what it is... so yeah, definitely some weird choices there on Bioware's part, to say the least.

As for that video, um, if you actually control all of the characters yourself instead of relying on the AI for the other three I'm sure it would go a bit better than it did for him there... it'd require a bit more pausing and would take longer, but it would go better, and, in my opinion at least, be more fun as well. But of course, I always turn off the automation features in these games when I can... so yeah, can't exactly agree at all with the guy in the video saying 'you pause a lot'. No, he didn't pause enough. :) (and darnit, mages are awesome!)

The only real things I saw that I dislike relate to the inventory. It's a list style one again, really? They did that for the first time in KotOR, and it was AWFUL, one of the more serious interface and design flaws in that game. It wasn't the biggest one, the lacking control in battle was the most serious (particularly that you can't give movement orders while paused, making strategic control of battle (and real control of more than one character) impossible, meaning that you just had to rely on the auto-battle skill of your allies... while I don't like that at all and really wanted to play it like Baldur's Gate. Argh... but anyway, the horrible, horrible list-based, single long list inventory in that game was really annoying, and it's very sad to see it return here. And all six party members share it again, too, like in that game, making the problem even worse... seriously, you'd think they'd learn from how poorly it worked before. Oh well...

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Teknopathetic said:
I don't particularly care for Giant Bomb's commentary, but it sure seems far better than the salesman pitch talk Bioware did when they played this exact section of the game in an earlier trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lub5e_9NDW8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8I5q2Hax5M

Honestly I'm actually pretty excited for the game after the quick look and some talk on Idle Thumbs, whereas before I found my interest increasingly waning with every new Bioware trailer.

Nurrrr, I actually forgot about those vids. That's right folks, Bioware's cinematic trailers for DA are so bad that they had completely erased all memory of interesting gameplay footage.

charsace

Teknopathetic said:
Yep. Microsoft did an awesome job advertising ME. I have a feeling the advertising for ME2 will be bad too.

Still think DAO will be GOTY though.

This looks awesome. The battle system seems cool, I like the inventory stuff, and, as everyone says, the Giant Bomb video is significantly better than any of the Bioware promos- even with the tit that thinks he's Patton Oswalt blathering away unfunnily constantly in the background.

Danneee

Danne-Danger said:
It's also sporting a pretty significant visual downgrade if you trust Chris Remo. A min-spec PC might not be so bad in comparison, maybe.

Really? It looks pretty much the same from the videos, and seeing as the pc version doesn't look all that fantastic to begin with I find a significant graphical downgrade a bit hard to believe. But I guess we can't really know until the final builds of the game is out.

Darklord

Banned
Teknopathetic said:

I think they showed it off well enough. I sure hope Dave just likes pausing though because if you really have to do that in a battle...damn, that's too much.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Darklord said:
I think they showed it off well enough. I sure hope Dave just likes pausing though because if you really have to do that in a battle...damn, that's too much.
I actually like that there's a need for tactics.

It makes the battles much more interesting, and more similar to a faster paced SRPG than timed hack and slash (which we see in things like The Witcher). So often RPGs feel overly automated and boring, but this one actually seems to rely on the person controlling the characters to actually preform their part.

We could use more RPGs that are genuinely fun to play.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Darklord said:

It looks like you can set up elaborate AI routines to automate a lot of the process. It also looked like Dave either kind of sucked or he was just really distracted by all of the banter.

But yeah, it looks like pausing often at the start of a battle to assess the situation will be to your advantage. I doubt the need to pause frequently will be anywhere as severe as the D&D games, though.

Darklord said:

Well they do keep comparing it to Baldur's Gate. I swear the three most important buttons for combat in that series were pause, quicksave and quickload. My hope is that Dragon Age's AI gambits willl go some ways to making combat more managable without pausing continually, but I'm a little doubtful on that.

syllogism

If you aren't pausing continuously, you are just playing on autopilot and there's no challenge like in every cookie cutter modern rpg

Shins

Banned
Are there any official videos touching on the console controls? I found some off-screen stuff on Youtube and was able to get the general idea of how things are going to work, but I wouldn't mind seeing the controls detailed more.

Shins said:
Are there any official videos touching on the console controls? I found some off-screen stuff on Youtube and was able to get the general idea of how things are going to work, but I wouldn't mind seeing the controls detailed more.

As far as I know there are none. Bioware has shown little actual gameplay, PC or console. They've mostly just shown story stuff.

Jayge

TheFightingFish said:
Well they do keep comparing it to Baldur's Gate. I swear the three most important buttons for combat in that series were pause, quicksave and quickload. My hope is that Dragon Age's AI gambits willl go some ways to making combat more managable without pausing continually, but I'm a little doubtful on that.
I think if you employ a more cautious and methodical playstyle you'd be able to get through much easier than Snider did. Dave is a hardcore old-hand PC RPG player but I get the feeling he was rushing to show as much as possible in a small amount of time. I think the mage has way more potential to be a powerhouse despite the impression given in the QL. For just a quick peak at basic combat though it was a great video.

Can't believe people are hating on trademark GB commentary in this thread :-(

Ricker said:
Someone show us this same section on the consoles,this is what they need to show instead of all those awful trailers,my PC won't be able to run this so the 360 will be my only option.I want to see if it plays similar.

I'm the same boat as you, even worse though since I've got a Macbook Pro :D ! But I had the chance to play the '360 demo for 20 minutes, after and hour and a half wait, at PAX last month. I made it through the demo, which took place in the "Korcari Wilds", just fine with the console control scheme. I remember the setup being extremely similar to Mass Effect. So if you were comfortable with it then, you'll be okay for DA:O.

I will say that GiantBomb's quick look has me wishing that I owned a gaming PC...

Aaron

On the console, you have two banks of skills and items corresponding to the face buttons that you can flip through, and a Mass Effect style wheel for the abilities of your entire party. You can of course switch to any character on the fly and pause it whenever you want. It's playable, but it feels pretty clunky. Managing the menus is similarly awkward. It's not terrible or anything, but it's nowhere as smooth as Mass Effect.

360 version is also a minor visual downgrade. Not a huge deal, but I can tell just about all the vids they've shown are from the PC version because of it.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Aaron said:
On the console, you have two banks of skills and items corresponding to the face buttons that you can flip through, and a Mass Effect style wheel for the abilities of your entire party. You can of course switch to any character on the fly and pause it whenever you want. It's playable, but it feels pretty clunky. Managing the menus is similarly awkward. It's not terrible or anything, but it's nowhere as smooth as Mass Effect.
Have you played the console version or why do you say that?

I haven't, but I have played Sacred 2 and they have the same face button layout as Dragon Age.
And when I played Sacred 2 for the first time I told everyone that this is how you do do "skillbars" on a console.

Sacred 2 didn't have any wheel-based menu though for other actions. So if you had potions you had to put them on one of the 6 configurable slots before you could use it. So the wheel is an upgrade from that.

Just from watching the controller layout, this is the part I'm least concerned about, personally.

Top Bottom