• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Dragon Age: Origins Screenshots And Trailer

sendu said:
I doubt that very much. For example, the number of people that played Neverwinter Nights multiplayer or tried anything other than the main OC is some trivial single-digits or less percentage. Yet judging by Bioware's forums, you'd think the percentage might be in the high 90s.

That is my point, though. The same people who would pay for something like DLC, especially when it is for an already lengthy RPG, are the same people who frequent forums; truly101's "paranoid skeptics that frequent GAF and other sites" are a small minority in general, but (I'm betting) a significantly larger minority of those who would consider buying Warden's Keep.

mujun

Draft said:
Like trained monkeys, spinning, spinning, spinning the days away. Why do developers even hire community managers when their forum bound supplicants will do the same job for free?

Because people are saying they are cool(ish) with day 1 DLC?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
sendu said:
Does Steam offer you some benefit over Impulse?

Not really. I just like to keep all of my games in one place and I don't really want to deal with another client-based digital download service if I don't have to. I tend to just use Steam, Gamersgate and occasionally GOG.com. I also have more faith in Steam sticking around longer as a service. Steam also gives me better download speeds than any other service.

I know these are all fairly minor issues, but if the option was available I would much rather get the game on Steam.

sendu

Neo Member
CabbageRed said:
That is my point, though. The same people who would pay for something like DLC, especially when it is for an already lengthy RPG, are the same people who frequent forums; truly101's "paranoid skeptics that frequent GAF and other sites" are a small minority in general, but (I'm betting) a significantly larger minority of those who would consider buying Warden's Keep.

Right, I see where you're coming from. But on the other hand, 'normal' (non-forum) people buy expansion packs, and with DLC download integrated into the normal game experience (I'm guessing, to the same extent as Sims3, also with free content to make normal people try a DLC download), I think normal people will buy DLC if they like the game as well.

garath

Don't forget the PC version has been done for months and months. It's original release date was back in the spring with the consoles to follow this fall. It was a business decision to wait until the console ports were done. The only job left for the last few months was bug fixes and console ports. I can't imagine the designers or artists were participating much in that (though I could be wrong). They literally had a ton of time to work on new content that would not be QA'd in time for the console ports.

Now if they just finished it all recently I'd be more inclined to believe the "omg they are holding back parts for monies!" theory, but they didn't so I'm not.

Wait...
Impulse digital download said:
Warden’s Keep (While supplies last)
... what? Are they serious or is it just to push pre-orders? They can't be serious... can they?

*That's for the digital deluxe edition btw.

Oh yay it's region locked anyway! Fuck off Impulse. :/

ElyrionX

This whole DLC on the first day issue stinks and while I have absolutely no doubt that other developers in the past probably had content DLCs ready to go on the days their games shipped, at least they were smart enough to not release it on that day itself.
\
Bioware really needs to fire its entire marketing department. Seriously.

It's just an ever-growing mountain of fail. The game might be fine, but BioWare are being such strange and silly cocks about the marketing around this game...I just don't think I can buy it.

McHuj

I can't believe someone thought this same day DLC was a good idea in anyway. All it does is that it makes Dragon Age look like an incomplete game. Whether it is or isn't, it's perception that's reality.

Wait 2-4 weeks after release of the game, and then release the DLC. I doubt anyone would complain.

Seriously, the must employ some of the dumbest mouthbreathers in their marketing department.

Zefah said:
I'm sure you don't care, but if you had a decent computer (which really isn't that expensive) you could easily hook it up to your television to play PC games. Console games do not have exclusive rights to the TV.

I like to sit on my couch while I play games which isn't really conducive for a keyboard and a mouse. I know I could use a controller, but really, what's the point? I'm pretty much done with PC gaming, well until the next Civilization, or a new Gabriel Knight is made.

syllogism

Most of the dlc is free if you actually buy the game. Their marketing department seems pretty bad based on the trailers (though who knows, maybe that's effective), but the dlc thing is a non-issue.

syllogism said:
Most of the dlc is free if you actually buy the game. Their marketing department seems pretty bad based on the trailers (though who knows, maybe that's effective), but the dlc thing is a non-issue.

Yeah, most of it's there to just deter the buying of used copies. Something that was bound to happen. And $7 for Warden's Keep (some people get it for free) is not a bad deal assuming it's any good.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Count of Monte Sawed-Off said:
I like to sit on my couch while I play games which isn't really conducive for a keyboard and a mouse. I know I could use a controller, but really, what's the point? I'm pretty much done with PC gaming, well until the next Civilization, or a new Gabriel Knight is made.

The point is that you get better graphics and performance, but if you don't care about that then there really is no point in getting a capable PC. Just be aware that you have the option available to you and you are willingly settling for less and often paying more for weaker versions of the same products (in regards to multiplatform titles).

I prefer to use a controller more often than not for console ports, but I also use a keyboard and a mouse on my couch quite frequently (wireless is great) and find it completely comfortable. Keyboard in the lap and a mouse to my side.

-NeoTB1-

garath said:
Don't forget the PC version has been done for months and months. It's original release date was back in the spring with the consoles to follow this fall. It was a business decision to wait until the console ports were done. The only job left for the last few months was bug fixes and console ports. I can't imagine the designers or artists were participating much in that (though I could be wrong). They literally had a ton of time to work on new content that would not be QA'd in time for the console ports.

Now if they just finished it all recently I'd be more inclined to believe the "omg they are holding back parts for monies!" theory, but they didn't so I'm not.

Bingo.

matmanx1

Wait did someone say the Origins movies on the Dragon Age website were improvements in some way to what we had already seen? Because I just watched the "City Elf" one and it was laughably bad and cliched. I guess it's a good thing I didnt watch the old movies, eh? =/

To be fair, however, the Dalish elf movie was slightly better.

I can't believe I'm still buying this piece of fucking garbage game. Maybe I'm doing it to confirm my fears that Bioware is just a console developer(even though Jade Empire pretty much confirmed that already).

Justinian

Cat in the Hat said:
I can't believe I'm still buying this piece of fucking garbage game. Maybe I'm doing it to confirm my fears that Bioware is just a console developer(even though Jade Empire pretty much confirmed that already).

What a bizarre post. I'm trying to sense sarcasm here but...:lol

Naeblish

Lol, most people screaming they won't buy this game (for the marketing reasons or whatever) will probably pick it up on the first day.

JayDubya

Banned
If I read correctly, EA has a separate team that works on DLCs. So it's not as though the main team's budget or timetable was impacted by this additional content at all, and the game clocks in at something like 100 hours, like BG2. So.

Not going to worry about it too much.

What I *would* have liked to see would be for the Collector's Edition to have come with a code for the DLC.

Justinian said:
What a bizarre post. I'm trying to sense sarcasm here but...:lol
Look if the game isn't as bad as all the gameplay videos(not the stupid ads) have suggested then I'll gladly eat some crow no problem but as is. This game looks like trash. This is all coming from someone whose favorite game is BG2 and someone who loves WRPGs and plays most of them.

I guess we'll see though, like I said I'm buying it.

Owzers

Naeblish said:
Lol, most people screaming they won't buy this game (for the marketing reasons or whatever) will probably pick it up on the first day.

With the ps3 version coming out a week after modern warfare 2, it will be quite easy to pass up dragon age day one.

Justinian

Cat in the Hat said:
Look if the game isn't as bad as all the gameplay videos(not the stupid ads) have suggested then I'll gladly eat some crow no problem but as is. This game looks like trash. This is all coming from someone whose favorite game is BG2 and someone who loves WRPGs and plays most of them.

I guess we'll see though, like I said I'm buying it.

If you mean the game LOOKS like trash visually, then yes it's understandable. But to me the game visuals being mediocre is actually highly encouraging, as it means they have been developing content rather than splashy graphics. This is basically going against the trend with modern RPGs having lots of filler and not enough genuine content
Mass Effect

markatisu

After the useless Pinnacle Station DLC in ME I will want to see what kind of additions are in this. I loved Bring Down the Sky, more of that in games would be great.

Justinian said:
If you mean the game LOOKS like trash visually, then yes it's understandable. But to me the game visuals being mediocre is actually highly encouraging, as it means they have been developing content rather than splashy graphics. This is basically going against the trend with modern RPGs having lots of filler and not enough genuine content
Mass Effect
Oh sorry, I mean the game itself not the visuals. Visuals I don't mind so much. I hope it is content rich like the BG series were, because I can't take another WRPG lite.

Victrix

*beard*
What's the rule on official threads? I've given some thought to putting one together, but I can't remember the timeframe. Now? Two weeks before launch? One week?

Victrix

*beard*
That'd be fine, give me some time to work on it a bit.

If anyone is interested in contributing some artistic flair, shoot me a PM. There are a _ton_ of HQ assets on their website.

I can gather up plenty of good information, but I'm no photoshop wizard.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
CabbageRed said:

I certainly wouldn't deny that, but our group is not the target for the DA marketing campaign. Our group is seldom the target for any marketing campaign. One reason is us enthusiasts are a fickle and hypocritical bunch. Look no further than the L4D2 boycotters, most of them would buy the sequel, even if Valve didn't fly them to HQ or whatever. Same thing here, there are a lot of people that claim they wont buy the game because they hate the art style or they find it juvenile. Some may stick to that, but I bet a lot of current haters buy it anyway, because a) when we're bored, we're curious and we tend to spend money that way b) November's pickings look a bit slim outside of AC2 and MW2.

EA doesn't care about nerdy enthusiasts, sure we're a great foundation to hopefully build a bigger mainstream success for certain games (dead space or mirror's edge perhaps), but they also couldn't care about offending our fickle sensibilities and bizarre misplaced sense of "indie cred" in an industry that is 100% for profit. EA is hoping DLC resonates with the general game player who doesn't patrol message boards and that they find value in said DLC based on their opinion of the game and what the DLC offers to them in entertainment value. They aren't going to be swayed by mumblings and grumblings on day 1 DLC or speculation on what was cut in game content and what isn't. usually that stuff is painfully obvious (like the TR:U levels) and it gets called out by the general crowd as well.

I just think that this assertion that day 1 DLC is some terrible egregious sin that will somehow doom DA to failure is laughable considering most of the people who buy DA will not give the slightests of fucks.

sendu

Neo Member
JayDubya said:
What I *would* have liked to see would be for the Collector's Edition to have come with a code for the DLC.

The digital CE does come with the code for the DLC. That's why it had to be announced and made day one.

JayDubya

Banned
sendu said:
The digital CE does come with the code for the DLC. That's why it had to be announced and made day one.

I was talking about my 360 preorder, though I suppose you are right.

Not an option for me, I'm afraid - my PC is nowhere near good enough.

Day 1 DLC does suck, even if I understand why they're doing it, but I gotta admit I thought that trailer for it looked awesome. Better then any of the other videos I've seen for it so far. Probably won't be getting that DLC day one, but I won't be waiting too long to pick it up.

garath

Not to throw any kindling on the fire, but this morning I sat down and watched the offical origins trailers that someone linked a page or two ago and was actually pretty impressed. It's got me intrigued with the story now. The animation is still a little wooden and the random blood splatters are strange but hell, if they genuinely have 6 completely unique storylines then that's impressive.

It's about a dozen steps above most of the trailers they've released so far.

http://dragonage.bioware.com/hero/human_noble

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Despite the PR, the pedigree of Bioware, the setting of the game, and the mature themes makes this a must buy for me. I have to give Bioware the benefit of the doubt.

Aaron

Victrix said:
shrug, ut3 did it, no reason da can't

though it'd be lame if they only allowed it on one of the consoles
It will never happen on the 360. MS seems to only be willing to allow this for first party games.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
The combat looks allot like Baldur's Gate, looking like it might be a bit difficult trying to micro-manage them all with a controller.

I plan to pick up the PC version, But would like to see more of the console version.

Deacan said:
The combat looks allot like Baldur's Gate, looking like it might be a bit difficult trying to micro-manage them all with a controller.

I plan to pick up the PC version, But would like to see more of the console version.
They have an AI-system similar to the one in FFXII I think. They already had pretty competent (for the time) AI customization in Baldur's Gate 2, so it should be much better by now.

Danne-Danger said:
They have an AI-system similar to the one in FFXII I think. They already had pretty competent (for the time) AI customization in Baldur's Gate 2, so it should be much better by now.

Yeah very similar to the gambit system used in FF 12, which I loved.

Flib

I've been pretty down on this game for the same reasons many GAFers have, but damn if that quicklook didn't look great. Hype restoring.

Top Bottom