• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT2| !? Love Live is not real!

Status
Not open for further replies.

blurr

No, Shirobako is first

I was watching Kokoro Connect and Mawaru Penguindrum when Yurikuma arashi aired.

Funny because Kokoro Connect was animated by the same studio as Yurikuma and Mawaru was by the creator of Yurikuma.

Did everyone forget about Yurikuma Arashi? The lesbian bear show?

I remember some people watching it and falling in love with it, but no one seems to remember it now.

I never watched it myself.

Anyway, my potential shows of the year are (no real order here)...

Assassination Classroom
Yona of the Dawn
Death Parade
Kekkai Sensen
Garo

My dude. Yona needs more love.

Non Non Biyori Repeat for AotY.

Shirobako in second of the stuff I've watched so far.

Just rewarched episode 10. Damn you might be right...

Mailbox

It really does.
My only problem is that it felt like a beginning and maybe start of the middle section of a story, despite its 2 cour length.
It feels far more incomplete than other anime, which is why my taste was left a tad bitter by the end.

Edit:prison School [end]

Okay, so I really want a second season to this, but that is a damn wrapped up ending! And, honestly I didn't expect these last few episodes to be as good as they were.

Very impressed, liked the show a lot!

It's weird.

For as much hate, mostly deserved hate, as studio pierrot gets for butchering the second season of Tokyo Ghoul, their Yona of the Dawn adaptation was damn near pitch perfect.

tumblr_static_1ngsil503zesk8s48o480gsg0_640_v2.png

Gave us some really vibrant art too.

It really does.
My only problem is that it felt like a beginning and maybe start of the middle section of a story, despite its 2 cour length.
It feels far more incomplete than other anime, which is why my taste was left a tad bitter by the end.

Thats true. Despite all the events so far its just getting started. Theres so much world building and backstories to cover that even 2 cours dont feel like theyre enough.

The arc that starts after the last episode is quite fantastic. If theres a season 2 it should be very entertaining. The manga is currently my favorite running series.

It's weird.

For as much hate mostly deserved hate as studio pierrot gets for butchering the second season of Tokyo Ghoul, their Yona of the Dawn adaptation was damn near pitch perfect.

Yeah they did a great job. I mean the animation wasnt truly outstanding aside from a few scenes but it was very consistent and paced well. Great adaptation.

Plus they totally nailed this guy:

iVGLecy.jpg

Mailbox

It's weird.

For as much hate mostly deserved hate as studio pierrot gets for butchering the second season of Tokyo Ghoul, their Yona of the Dawn adaptation was damn near pitch perfect.

The really extra weird thing is that the first thing I noticed about Tokyo Ghoul season 2 is that they tried to use some of the styling they used from Yona. It worked there, but it sure as hell made Tokyo Ghoul season 2 look way worse compared to the bkground art of season 1 (In that it didn't fit)

Fafner: Dead Aggressor - Exodus 04-05

Feels nice seeing the Mark Elf and Sechs again, considering how quickly they got replaced in the original, as well as seeing the Funf actually doing more than just put up a shield. The CG is quite good, and makes the fights a lot more interesting to watch than the original. Orange really improved from their work on MJP to this. Still waiting to see both Kazuki and Soshi pilot again, consider the opening has already spoiled it.

Sölf

Yona does indeed need more love. It started out pretty slow for the first, I don't know, 3-4 episodes, especially with all those flashbacks. But damn became it good later on. The slow pace grew on me. I started reading the manga, but I am not that much farther.

And Pukyu for president. One of the best reasons to watch Yona. Aside for Yona beinge a Crusader Kings II game, just on a smaller scale. xD

Sölf

So far, it would probably look something like this:

1. Gintama
2. Overlord
3. Souma
4. Arslan Senki
5. Ninja Slayer

blurr

Sölf;179990680 said:
Nope, passend on that one. Also haven't seen NNB beyond EP 1 yet. I have quite a bit still to watch, so eh.

pretty much everyone's story :p

I don't know what 'passend' means, google says it's something in German.

kewlmyc

Anime of the year is Rokka for me, if only for introducing me to such a great series. I'm having a blast reading the novels.

Cornbread78

i still haven't watched barakamon yet.

should probably finish watching shirobako first

Barakamon is better. I put Shiro bake on hold on the second season, but haven't returned yet.

Nisekoi 09
Oh man, this was a hilarious ep. I'm loving this series. For some reason I never got around to watching it last year.
After this, will start Ore Monogatari!!.

Have you started season 2 yet? Nisekoi was a lot of fun!

The reason I can see why some may see Barakamon much more enjoyable to watch than Non Non Biyori because of how energetic and full of personality the former is. That's not to say Non Non Biyori doesn't have personality, it's just that it's a really slow paced series.

Jumping in late, but this is pretty much my opinion exactly. There is nothing wrong with NNB at all,but Barakamon just adds another dimension and kept me engaged more.

Sölf

KanColle 11-12 END
The last two episodes finally brought back some action. After 3-4 episodes where basically nothing happend this was a much needed change. However, looking back, KanColle was okay, but nothing more. I probably won't watch a second season, as I doubt I would miss out on anything (well, except for Kongou. If she becomes the main character I may watch S2). What I did like was that the show simpley played out all game mechanics straight, like instant repair buckets, remodel, refueling or the admiral, who is never seen but loved by everyone. But that's basically it. There is not enough screentime for most of the characters, so they are reduced to a few quirks and the action isn't even that good.

Two other shows I would like to compare it to are Arpeggio of Blue Steel and Girls und Panzer. The first has basically the same setting, but it's done completely different. Also, it's not a cute girls doing cute things show but a serious show instead. However, I liked Arpeggio much more. Girls und Panzer is a cute girls doing cute things show, but with tanks instead of ships. And unlike KanColle, the battles here are much more enjoyable and tactic actually matters, which really suprised me when I first saw it. KanColle is not bad, but it's also not a show I would recommend unless you really like the genre.

Sölf

NNB is really slow and chill to watch, but Barakamon has a completely different feel to it. You can then join to give us a Renge & Naru anime please club.

Not having seen NNB yet, Barakamon reminds me more of Yotsuba& than anything else. Which was a really good thing. Both are great.

Jintor

Girls und Panzer OVA 1 - 6

GuP being even more of a comedy than usual was pretty funny, even with a lot of girls in swimsuits all over the place. Almost Tekyuu-like in gag quantity.

1. Decent swimsuit picking episode, lot of decent gags especially with the military aquatics garb jokes.

2. Joke with the two airheads staring into space while 'helping' was great. Spam joke great.

3. Long weird lore episode that made no sense but proved that the creators gave some thought to why some dumb stuff happens and was kind of interesting anyway

4. I never want to see this dance again

5. Interesting little side story with a lot of infodumping and a weirdly morbid song. Weirdly made me want a Metal Gear Solid anime for some reason.

6. Decent enkai.

/XX/

Upcoming information about a new project from Studio Ghibli? Seems too soon for this to be Mr. Takahata's possible one, anyway:

tanpopo said:
Yoshiaki Nishimura suggested a new feature film at PFF award 2015
"I will make an anime. I still belong to Ghibli. I'll talk about it next year."
http://www.buta-connection.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=77789#p77789

As you may remember, the film producer Yoshiaki Nishimura has also been involved in the creation of a new animation production house (in great part birthed from the renmants of Studio Ghibli's own permanent staff) called STUDIO PONOC, so perhaps a collaboration between both entities could be on the works... after all, Hiromasa Yonebayashi, who definitely left the structure of his former studio, also has a project lined-up to be made outside Studio Ghibli but alongside Mr. Nishimura too!

trejo

Holy crap wasn't expecting it to be this bad.

I tried I really did. I loved the heck out of Barakamon. But while I was watching episode 2 I was yawning. Maybe it's the setting? The lack of different characters? Idk,
I'm only making it worse aren't I

Are you me? I too loved Barakamon to bits but couldn't sit through an episode of NNB without developing a sudden case of narcolepsy.

Good to know I wasn't the only one. :)

kewlmyc

Did you reread the first novel or is it fine just jumping into the second one?

The anime is a very good adaption of the first novel, so skipping to the 2nd novel should be fine. All you're missing is segments where the seventh thinks to themselves that everything is going in their favor.

Deadly

Prisma Illya 2wei Herz 10
Wow they didn't have the courage to do like the manga so they put in a small happy filler ending. I guess it would have been abit too much of a cliffhanger ending otherwise.

Aikatsu! 01

I blame zach and several others for always posting about this show on my timeline that I finally broke down and watched it. Got to say, I am entertained thus far on this first episode. Oh and Ichigo already a best,I refuse to believe any other girl introduced will be better than her.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Prison School end
Faithful adaptation, and that lego animation is great.
Kana Hanazawa best role yet. Flight of Shimazu scene is over way too son, but this'll do.
That post ED teasing... Ouroboros/Student council arc when?

Firemind

Basically, all good SOL do have a center grounding point, but it's not a hook. You've been looking at it all wrong.
You don't watch barakamon for the calligraphy, you watch it for the interactions between the characters.
Yes, but the calligraphy is the catalyst and is what brings the characters together. It is what fuels the protagonist's desire to become a better person after punching an elderly man. Even the quintessential show about doing nothing, K-On, has (not) forming a light music club as a potential hook. That's what made me decide to give it a shot. Every form of entertainment needs to have something to hold the attention and interest of an audience, or give pleasure and delight. Characters are important, but the setting is also, if not equally, important.

I suppose city folk who are tired of urbanization could see a little girl experiencing the countryside for the first time as an eye-opening, life-altering revelation, but I cannot relate. If I wanted to experience the countryside in its full glory, I could take my bike right now and go to a nearby farmland to inhale some pure, unadulterated cow dung.

Jintor

like, i'm literally living in the inaka right now so i don't understand your point at all

like is a town so small that all the kids in elementary and junior are in the same class with a single teacher not a new thing to you? do you live in a town where you can't get cell reception without standing in the middle of your courtyard and holding your phone in the air to get one bar? when's the last time you went to go pick bamboo shoots or dive off a bridge into a river? planted rice? saw fireflies?

this doesn't count as a setting to you? or it shouldn't for others? you need them all to be superheroes? or zombies?

i would watch a superhero sol

Oh shit, Rewrite anime announced
http://rewrite-anime.tv/

原作:Key / ビジュアルアーツ
監督・シリーズ構成:天衝
構成・脚本協力:田中ロミオ・魁(ビジュアルアーツ)
キャラクター原案:樋上いたる(Key/ビジュアルアーツ)
キャラクターデザイン:野中正幸
アニメーション制作:エイトビット

8bit and Tensho, so Grisaia staff.

kewlmyc

Rewrite is the one Ryukishi07 worked on right?

Gatchaman Crowds Insight 10-11

These episodes, quite surprisingly, were relatively strong, rectifying several of the significant flaws that had existed throughout the season. Though still inconsistent in quality, the tenth episode was a marked improvement over the ninth, possessing, most notably, a considerably sharper pacing. Despite the prevalence of action that could have so easily been mediocre in execution and bereft of intrigue, the eleventh episode was perhaps the most compelling of the season. The atmosphere present throughout both episodes complemented the narrative momentum that had been established immensely well, as it accentuated a gradual evolution within the story towards its crescendo.

Tsubasa was, thankfully, considerably more tolerable in both episodes. With her arrogant naivety diminished, the insufferable aspects of her personality largely disappeared. Of course, she remains one of the weaker characters, but at least she no longer heavily detracts from the quality of each episode. The strengthening of Rui’s resolve was fairly satisfying, though its significance will likely only be felt in the final episode, assuming, of course, that his dynamic with Rizumu comes into play. Having been thoroughly relegated to the periphery throughout the season, Jou and Sugane finally contributing in the eleventh episode was a rather nice, albeit short-lived, development.

Rizumu’s involvement continues to be exceedingly tiresome. His interspersed appearances throughout both episodes were quite detrimental to the otherwise excellent pacing. After all, his involvement within the story has felt detached throughout the entire season, lacking even a modicum of significance. Hopefully the final episode avoids propelling him and VAPE into prominence, though, sadly, such a development seems inevitable.

Tsubasa’s grandfather, once again, provided a thoroughly refreshing perspective. The tale of his
experience during the second world war and the complacency that consumed the Japanese society
was beautifully poignant and one of the most well-executed moments within this season. The manner in which it wove together a thematic and historical insight was highly effective, all of which was accompanied by a musical selection that smartly emphasized a note of regret within his memories. As a parallel to this season’s story, his melancholic recollection was very thoughtfully handled.

The scene in which
Hajime voiced her intentions toward killing Gelsadra
was unnecessarily devoid of context, reliant on a misdirection that was all to obvious. Even then, the tension this statement could have created was revealed to be manufactured only a few minutes later, as the explanation for
their deception
was detailed extensively, which certainly extinguished whatever effect it might have otherwise had.

As previously mentioned, the tenth episode, despite its greatly improved pacing and more focused storytelling, was disappointingly flawed. Despite the effectively ominous nature of the Kuu’s, they amounted to little more than
fodder to be easily defeated in a thoroughly uninteresting action sequence
. The narrative throughout this season has established an ideology as the largest threat to society, and society, in their turn, began to decay and become problematic as a result. Though this thread was rarely deftly handled, it was quite compelling and a very suitable theme for Nakamura to pursue. Though the kuu’s were
effectively conceived by society’s thoughts
, their appearance presented a needlessly physical threat and resulted in a predictably straightforward solution. Such an approach could have robbed the story of its potential uniqueness by settling for a cheaper and more simplistic piece of storytelling. Fortunately, however, the eleventh episode rapidly diminished the
fight against the kuu’s
, which was a refreshing and exceedingly welcome development.

Though the
fight against Gelsadra
was, predictably, riddled with ugly CG and occasionally awkward direction, it was unquestionably one of the strongest and most engaging within the series. The somber tone it captured was particularly refreshing, notably benefited by the usage of several excellent musical arrangements. Society’s
transition into a placated entity, accompanied by the kuu’s gradually shriveling out of existence
, was nicely handled. On the other hand, the action sequence that concluded the tenth episode, like so many others throughout the series, was aggressively weak, excessively relying on intended spectacle, rather than tension or some manner of substance. However, this was remedied in the eleventh and will hopefully be abandoned altogether for the conclusion, since these moments tend to, more often than not, cheapen the effectiveness of the series as a whole.

The direction, though inconsistent throughout these two episodes, was certainly passable and even, at times, quite imaginative, particularly in the eleventh episode. The production values however, are largely mediocre, save for several moments of noteworthy animation. The climactic nature of the eleventh episode was confidently conveyed by the surprisingly well-paced storytelling and the momentous, yet mournful, music that accompanied the majority of the episode. These elements emphasized a touch of finality that was very effective.

All in all, with both episodes illustrating an improvement over the dreadful tedium that has plagued so much of this season, Gatchaman Crowds Insight elevated itself to, for the most part, becoming the moderately enjoyable and occasionally inventive show it once was. I assume some sort of explanation for how Hajime was capable of
transforming into Gelsadra
will occur in the final episode, but some manner of contrivance appears likely. This season hasn’t and likely won’t be salvaged entirely, but at least the conclusion to this story has been surprisingly well-executed and engaging. Nakamura possesses a typically satisfying proclivity for unusual conclusions to his stories, so hopefully, rather than engage in a pointless fight against
Rizumu
in the twelfth episode, his tendency to surprise and embrace the bizarre nature of this world continues.

Phatmac

YESSSSSSS! For folks that don't know about Rewrite it's a strange depressing VN that was perfect for the VN structure. Excited to see more about this.
EDIT: Jun Meada didn't work on this so that's a relief. I'm worried about the studio working on this as Grasia wasn't a good adaptation.

YESSSSSSS! For folks that don't know about Rewrite it's a strange depressing VN that was perfect for the VN structure. Excited to see more about this.

I don't mean to burst anybody's bubble, but this is being done by the Grisaia staff.

And in that IIRC, those guys adapted a girl's entire route in one chapter.

An entire route, in one chapter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom