• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Until Dawn |OT| I know what you'll play this summer

Guerrilla

How long did it take you?

I've been thinking about getting this and inviting some friends over and playing it collectively with them near Halloween.

If you don't look for every totem you can easily finish it in 7 hours I would say. If you just push forward maybe even 6.

Playing with some friends sounds great, since most of the game moves along at a fast pace, it shouldn't get boring.

ukas

If you don't look for every totem you can easily finish it in 7 hours I would say. If you just push forward maybe even 6.

Playing with some friends sounds great, since most of the game moves along at a fast pace, it shouldn't get boring.

I actually played this with two of my nephews this weekend and it took us about 7.5 hours or so. We had a blast playing it together.

Toxa

Reached Chapter 7 last night. It's already throwing quite a few twists at me - I have no fucking idea how
Josh did not die in the sawblade trap, and I was expecting Emily to have died when the radio tower fell into the mines, so was pretty surprised when she showed back up. So far the only character who has 'died' has been Jess, but I didn't personally see her die (she fell down the elevator shaft after being dragged out of the cabin window)
so I don't know if I can trust even that.

My earlier theory was that
Josh called everyone back to the cabin to murder them in revenge for his sisters dying, and I'm beginning to think that's right. Maybe Peter Stormare is his therapist? Or his father? EDIT - and I also think there must be multiple Psychos. From all of the ghost shit Ashley and Chris were seeing the basement I'm guessing one of the twins is still alive (Beth), unless the game really is going down a supernatural route as well as psycho-murderer. But there still must be multiple killers as Mike was following someone around the Sanatorium while shenanigans were happening back at the lodge.

Anyway, I'll try to finish it tonight if I have time. Didn't play much over the weekend but I am finding the story thoroughly engrossing.

I can read a lot of good gues here but there's more suprise to come
the game will become very tense and unforgiving

Kalentan

Quick Question for when I start my 2nd playthrough after my first ends...

Can you save....

The Wolf and the Flamethrower guy or do both destined to die? I accidently killed the guy because as soon as the 'no movement' thing began, it moved and I lost...Which made me realize I need to just have the controller on the table most of the time in prep.

Stanng243

Can you save....

The Wolf and the Flamethrower guy or do both destined to die? I accidently killed the guy because as soon as the 'no movement' thing began, it moved and I lost...Which made me realize I need to just have the controller on the table most of the time in prep.

See my old post:
Just remember the one rule about this game: if you don't
save the wolf
you are a bad person.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

Can you save....

afaik flamethrower guy death is scripted, no way around that. You can save the dog by barricading the door instead of running through. Once you drop down, you split up, but he survives and the trophy pops at the end of the chapter.

Fehyd

Banned
Watched my fiance' play it and absolutely loved it. Definitely wish there were more games like this.

Would love to see a John Carpenter Thing game done in this style.

ogbg

Just played it tonight.
Much better than I was expecting initially.

Only managed to save 3 in the end though - Sam, Emily, Josh.
Matt
died when I went back to look for Emily
Chris
died when I missed the third attempt with the shotgun (was conflicted about trying to hit the barrel and ended up running out of time)
Ashley
died when I tried to save Jessica and opened up the hatch.
Jessica
died when I chose to run when escaping the mines. This one kind of annoyed me because I managed to keep her alive earlier.
Mike
died when I went for the lightswitch as Sam rather than hiding again which presumably would have made a difference.

ogbg

Grimløck;180143602 said:
is this game buggy for anyone else?

just started tonight, got to the snowball scene with mike and jess and the game hung trying to get to the next scene. stayed black for like 2 minutes. i tried to quit the application, but then my whole ps4 got black screened. manually turned off the ps4 and it's now recovering partially installed data. kind of scared to play this game for the wrong reasons.

A similar thing happened to me once actually at a different point. I had to restart the PS4 and it checked the HD and then I resumed the game. Thankfully the save wasn't too far back.

Lagamorph

I think one of my biggest (and one of very few) issues with this game was that for a lot of the QTEs, particularly during climbing sections, the timer starts counting down before the button prompt even appears (you can hear the ticking). By the time the bottom prompt appears on screen the (already short) timer is half gone.

How do you save
Josh though? I couldn't see a way to stop Hangar Wendigo dragging him away when they recognised each other. I found Hannah's Journao, but is there something else I had to find to save him?

GSR

I think one of my biggest (and one of very few) issues with this game was that for a lot of the QTEs, particularly during climbing sections, the timer starts counting down before the button prompt even appears (you can hear the ticking). By the time the bottom prompt appears on screen the (already short) timer is half gone.

Does it actually start counting down before the button is on-screen, though? I'd have to double-check, but I feel like the ticking was an early "you're about to have a QTE" indicator, not "the timer's started".

How do you save
Josh though? I couldn't see a way to stop Hangar Wendigo dragging him away when they recognised each other. I found Hannah's Journao, but is there something else I had to find to save him?

That's considered "survival" for him. If you don't find the journal she just kills him instead.

I got half way through chapter 9 last night. Was hoping to finish, but it was nearly 2am and my daughter had woken up, so I needed to get her back to bed. I hope I'll finish tonight.

I've got to say, it feels less creepy now the plot has been revealed, unless there are more twists coming. I'll see where it goes tonight.

Lagamorph

Does it actually start counting down before the button is on-screen, though? I'd have to double-check, but I feel like the ticking was an early "you're about to have a QTE" indicator, not "the timer's started".
The little countdown outline is already a third to halfway round before the icon even appears.

Drewfonse

Glad to see that this thread is still going, and that people are enjoying Until Dawn.

One of my faves of this gen, for sure. Looking forward to playing it again and maybe saving more than 3 of them this time.

Yo has anybody
checked out the Wendigo Wikipedia page? It's like the writers were practically using it as a primary source lol.

"The Wendigo was gaunt to the point of emaciation, its desiccated skin pulled tautly over its bones. With its bones pushing out against its skin, its complexion the ash gray of death, and its eyes pushed back deep into their sockets, the Wendigo looked like a gaunt skeleton recently disinterred from the grave. What lips it had were tattered and bloody [....] Unclean and suffering from suppurations of the flesh, the Wendigo gave off a strange and eerie odor of decay and decomposition, of death and corruption."

Finished it a little while ago. Short version is that I fucking loved it. Terrific game and one of the best surprises in ages. I'll write more detailed thoughts tomorrow; going to bed now. And finally I can properly read through this topic without worrying about spoilers - yay!

So, I finished up with four survivors -
Sam, Chris, Matt and Jessica.
I reckon it took me about 9 hours in total (would like a stats screen showing time played, successful QTEs, time spent as each character, etc - I take it the global results do not give all this feedback?). Those who died:

Wolfie :( - died in the Sanatorium after Mike jumped down the hole. I can't remember if it was chapter 7 or 8, but I need to replay this and save him!
Mike - in the end I think Mike and Sam were my favourite characters as they were selfless and the most proactive (even though I thought Mike was a bit of a dick at the beginning). Mike died in the cabin at the end when I ran to hit the switch as Sam, sadly.
Ashley - the interaction between her and Chris was probably my favourite relationship of the game, so I was really sad when she died after opening up the trapdoor after assuming it was Jessica.
Emily - definitely my least favourite character. Died at the end when Sam ignited the gas in the lodge.
Josh - died in the water shortly after being rescued by Mike & Sam, after Wendigo-Hannah jumped out on him and crushed his head.

I really thought for their first horror game Supermassive absolutely nailed this. Visuals are amazing, sound effects are superb, the character performances are spot-on and I thought the character models were almost perfect. The lighting effects are probably the best I've ever seen in a game - I wonder if this was native, or if they had to do a lot of additional development work to the Shadow Fall engine. The pacing is excellent; it very wisely spends a couple of chapters building up the characters and the situation before the shit hits the fan, and my only minor complaint would be that they should have kept the final twist
of the Wendigos
until a bit closer to the end. I love the psychoanalysis stuff with Peter Stormare, although that kind of peters out towards the end - maybe I missed some of that content because of some decisions I made. I have a few questions about it, but I guess that's kind of the point; i.e.
how much of it was real, and how much was all in Josh's head. Speaking of which, I really liked it at the very end when Josh was alone in the mine and really losing his mind. That imagery with his dead sisters calling to him was very creepy

But all in all, this is the best application of the David Cage style of game I've ever played, and I hope Supermassive can get some DLC out for Halloween, because that would be awesome and I'd definitely buy it. A really superb game and easily one of the best surprises of the year so far. 8.5/10

Yoshida talking about UD during his interview at the Eurogamer Expo

You had Until Dawn come out recently. It seemed to come out at quite a quiet time. How did it go down?

Shuhei Yoshida: We're super happy with the reactions from people, especially people who are streaming or posting videos on YouTube. It's super fun to watch other people play, even after you've finished the game, because other people make different choices. We can say it's a sleeper hit. Once it's recognised, originating with consumers, the marketing department can continue to support the title through Christmas with some creative ideas. I'm very happy with how the game was received. People have asked me why it wasn't marketed as much as other titles. It's a decision made by marketing departments in each region. Because of the focus on this Christmas time-frame, to really support the big third-party titles like Destiny and these titles, they didn't see the need to push Until Dawn that much from the platform marketing standpoint. I think everybody was caught by surprise by the positive reaction. That's a really great thing for the future of the interactive drama genre. We're a big fan of this genre. These games can talk to a broader audience. You don't have to be good at playing games. You can even just watch your friend play the game. We believe this interactive drama genre can help expand the audience for console games.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...oshida-talks-the-next-20-years-of-playstation

It definitely seems like we're going to be seeing more from Supermassive. Shu is the guy you need to impress, and he clearly loves the game.

T.O.P

Banned
Hmm guys just started this but i'm getting really awful voices while ingame

Musics and effects are crystal clear but the voices sound really muffled up :(

@btw, this is shaping up to be one of my favourite games of all time, not even joking
@@voice problem seems to be less evident around 2 hours in

T.O.P

Banned
Up to chapter 4

This is soooooooooooooo fuckin gooooooooood

I already wanna play it a second time to change some stuff tbh lol

Started playing a little while ago after waiting a little bit more than a month to play and I like it so far. Had to stop though cause work in the morning:(

I'm only playing this at night>:)

Rented this game with Redbox, but my god was it an awesome experience! Definitely warrants a purchase to support Supermassive Games, so I'll be picking up a copy to replay near Halloween.

The story was actually very enjoyable and had just the right amount of cheese and tongue-in-cheek humor. I found myself liking all of the characters,
aside from nagging bitch Emily

Fortunately, all of the team survived until dawn, which I was very happy about because I genuinely cared about those individuals. They all had a likable persona in one way or another and reacted to situations with common sense and wariness.

Looking forward to a second playthrough doing the complete opposite of what I did on my 1st..lol. Hopefully there'll be a bodycount this time.

DukeBobby

Wow, what a surprise this game was. Incredibly atmospheric and genuinely unnerving in parts, with characters that you care about, despite them seeming cliche on the surface.

Finished with two deaths:

Matt died in the mines in Chapter 6, and Sam died because I failed the final 'don't move' part in the final chapter. I'm pretty sure I didn't move a muscle, though.

I borrowed this from a friend but as soon as I finished it, I ordered a copy for myself. I'll definitely replay it in the near future and find the few collectibles I missed.

So far, I'd say this is my 4th favourite game I've played this year, behind The Witcher 3, Bloodborne and Life is Strange. I never thought I'd like this more than MGSV. Never in a million years.

This game single handedly triggered my want to get a PS4. I saw a thread here about it, around the time of release. I had heard about the game, but knew absolutely nothing about it. I looked up a gameplay trailer, watched for 1 minute, then closed it and went on total media blackout till I got to play it myself. I'm a massive horror fan and I really enjoyed Heavy Rain, so I knew this game would scratch a good itch.

Fast forward 2 months later and my want to get a PS4 grew bigger and bigger. Last night I picked up the destiny edition and this game. I played it all through the night Until Dawn. What an experience that was and I'm so glad I got to play it. I'm going to get my Girlfriend to play it now. I want to see choices she makes.

But yeah. Incredible experience and I really hope they make another one.

This game single handedly triggered my want to get a PS4. I saw a thread here about it, around the time of release. I had heard about the game, but knew absolutely nothing about it. I looked up a gameplay trailer, watched for 1 minute, then closed it and went on total media blackout till I got to play it myself. I'm a massive horror fan and I really enjoyed Heavy Rain, so I knew this game would scratch a good itch.

Fast forward 2 months later and my want to get a PS4 grew bigger and bigger. Last night I picked up the destiny edition and this game. I played it all through the night Until Dawn. What an experience that was and I'm so glad I got to play it. I'm going to get my Girlfriend to play it now. I want to see choices she makes.

But yeah. Incredible experience and I really hope they make another one.

It's good to see you ended up loving it in the end!

I got the game yesterday and I'm probably around chapter 4. My key takeaway at the moment is the fixed (or close to it. Static?) camera angles and lighting. And the facial capture of course.

I basically like everyone other than Emily and Jess. Emilys bad acting also kills me everytime they flash back to that opening scene. "It was just a joke Hannnnnn"

D23

I rent this from redbox and have been playing it all night, made it to chapter six and decided to call it a night. I dont think my heart can take it anymore. This game is so good. Will buy the game to support the developer

NeonDelta

I completed it a while ago then played it again from chapter 6 so I could save everyone, I messed a bit up on the final chapter and finished the game with 1 dead, when I went to play it again yesterday it had retained my original choices so had to start from chapter 6 again to save everyone. Bit disappointed it's not like heavy rain where if you replay a chapter your choices on that chapter are saved until you play it again

I rent this from redbox and have been playing it all night, made it to chapter six and decided to call it a night. I dont think my heart can take it anymore. This game is so good. Will buy the game to support the developer

Happy to hear. I hope Until Dawn gets many new players now during the October and Halloween season. I'm planning to play it through for the third time some point this month.

Bane

I had no interest in this but after watching Giant bomb stream some of it I gave it a shot and holy hell, what a great fucking game. Easily one of my favorites of the year.

I know the common comparison is a teen slasher movie but I found the writing to be a good bit better than those. There are still some of the tropes obviously but I thought the backstory and mythology were well built and most things make sense and fit together really well by the end.

A couple of questions, though:
in the beginning of the game Matt says Emily owes him one for taking her bag and her reaction implied to me that she has done something for him before but I didn't get any dialogue about what that could be. Is it ever brought up again through certain decisions you can make?

Also, did anyone else find it strange the Wendigo cut the tower cable. Maybe the implication is they're smarter than they seem? This is the main thing that stood out to me as a bit off in the story.

It seems Sony is pretty happy with the game's performance so I can't wait for Supermassive's next game but at the same time I do not envy them trying to top this one if they go horror again, which I hope they do.

Bought this two days ago and managed to finally beat it today. I managed
to save Sam, Emily, Matt, Mike, Chris and Ashley the first time around. I skipped over the journal and Josh died because of it, but I was fine with that he was pretty insane.

Now, time to play through it again until I get Platinum. For my first PS4 game I'd say I picked a good one.

mreddie

I think this has been pointed out but after finishing the game,
Josh and Matt died though

I looked back at the original Gamescom 2012 reveal, HOLY SHIT, I'm really glad it jumped to the PS4. Despite the framerate issues though.

One question, can you do a DLC of this game?

Do you guys think it'd be ok if I linked this thread to the guy who wrote Until Dawn?
Who? Larry Fassender? And why not point him here. No harm in it.

I just beat the game on my second playthrough, saving everyone. Now just going to clean up the rest of the trophies.

I just can't stop raving about this game to my friends. The story, the graphics, the audio, and the acting are all fantastic. Dare I say I'm in love?! :p

RevenWolf

I had no interest in this but after watching Giant bomb stream some of it I gave it a shot and holy hell, what a great fucking game. Easily one of my favorites of the year.

I know the common comparison is a teen slasher movie but I found the writing to be a good bit better than those. There are still some of the tropes obviously but I thought the backstory and mythology were well built and most things make sense and fit together really well by the end.

A couple of questions, though:
in the beginning of the game Matt says Emily owes him one for taking her bag and her reaction implied to me that she has done something for him before but I didn't get any dialogue about what that could be. Is it ever brought up again through certain decisions you can make?

Also, did anyone else find it strange the Wendigo cut the tower cable. Maybe the implication is they're smarter than they seem? This is the main thing that stood out to me as a bit off in the story.

It seems Sony is pretty happy with the game's performance so I can't wait for Supermassive's next game but at the same time I do not envy them trying to top this one if they go horror again, which I hope they do.

The wendigos aren't stupid. They are designed to hunt humans specifically, and have the intelligence of at least a human (explained by flamethrower guy),

This is also demonstrated
when one of them mimics Jessica's voice perfectly to lure ash to her death.

Bane

The wendigos aren't stupid. They are designed to hunt humans specifically, and have the intelligence of at least a human (explained by flamethrower guy),

This is also demonstrated
when one of them mimics Jessica's voice perfectly to lure ash to her death.

I had just thought the mimicry was a instinctual thing (like other animals that use traps in nature) but yeah, they really would need a good bit of intelligence to know who to mimic. And I must have missed flamethrower guy's comment about their intelligence. Thanks for the clarification.

RevenWolf

I had just thought the mimicry was a instinctual thing (like other animals that use traps in nature) but yeah, they really would need a good bit of intelligence to know who to mimic. And I must have missed flamethrower guy's comment about their intelligence. Thanks for the clarification.

No trouble :)
he mentions it to Chris when they walk together to find josh

Top Bottom