• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHENMUE 3 Kickstarter (PC/PS4) Thread 2: New KS Record at $6.3m

mattp

lol so, the classic ryo model and that painted over new shenhua? so weird. come on guys, you've had plenty of time to at least render a new shenhua thats not obviously painted over!

main.jpg

I made the Dobuita pilgrimage today. It was pretty interesting. Dobuita itself is pretty small and surprisingly what you would expect. Yokosuka itself was a bit weird. It seemed like there was nothing but old people and gaijin. There were a few places where people were selling baked goods and fruit. Overall, it took us about as long to travel from Tokyo and back as it took to explore everything in the area that looked interesting.

Kakita (inspiration for Kurita?) military/survival goods store

We found a neat shrine off the street leading up to a residential area.

Tom moved back and partnered with Jack to open a bar.

If you do end up going, I highly recommend Yokosuka Navy Burger

The internet connection in my hotel isn't very good so I am having trouble uploading most of my pictures so I'll probably add them in the next couple days if people are interested.

Busy today today. We went to TGS. It was probably the most packed thing I've ever been to. In terms of Shenmue stuff, they had the shirt we already know about, and a Dreamcast gacha corner which had several Dreamcast game trailers cycling including the one where Ryo jumps on a train. I ended up with Samba de Amigo and Skies of Arcadia buttons from the gacha machine.

Anyway, I've gotten my photos uploaded now so here's some more Dobuita.

Outside of the temple at the edge of Dobuita was this really awesome traditional Japanese house.

Everything around the area seems to revolve around the nearby navy base. While a lot of the shops seem to emphasize that they cater to Americans, there was a lot of places that implied that there might be some local problems with them. One house had signs all along its fence saying things in English like "do not dump trash" and "security cameras present" and there were a lot of signs like this one.

I love Japanese mascots. This one seems to be for the fire department. The kanji reads "fire hydrant"

Going back to Yokosuka Navy Burger, they had this gigantic burger for 4 or 5 people for about $50.

I got what was called the "George Washington Burger." The egg was fried perfectly.

Dobuita Street flags

Map of Dobuita

Another path up to a residential area.

There are a lot of bars. I enjoyed this one's name.

Dobuita is also known for its jackets

There's a really small shrine at the bottom of the street that looked pretty cool. I kind of wish it had been in Shenmue in addition to the one up the hill.

Not Yokosuka related but by the way, if you get the chance, get kakigouri. It kicks ass.

mabec

I got what was called the "George Washington Burger." The egg was fried perfectly.

I had one of those burgers in tokyo, japan makes honestly really great burgers, as long as they dont come from mcd. Did you take any photos from TGS? wouldnt mind see some from the floor

I had one of those burgers in tokyo, japan makes honestly really great burgers, as long as they dont come from mcd. Did you take any photos from TGS? wouldnt mind see some from the floor

I took some. It was a little difficult to see anything interesting because it was so crowded. Every time I went to the Yakuza line, for example, I was turned away because there was too many people. So, I didn't get to do any demos or up close trailers. Here's some of the pictures I took.

Before I get to TGS, I took this the night before.

Dreamcast Gacha corner

By the way, if you get a chance to go to TGS, spend the extra money on the supporters club so that you can get through the merch lines in 10 minutes instead of what looked like it would've taken hours.

Here's some Persona models.

Playstation VR. The line for this wasn't actually unreasonable but I didn't want to put something on my head that hundreds of other sweaty people probably had already.

Gravity Daze. PSO2 was near here but it had signs on it that said "No Pictures". Incidentally, I think that was the only game that had that. Figures Sega would be like that.

The special edition will come with this figure.

The Last Guardian 3D thing. The griffon would react to the people who were near the screen.

Got some Game Center CX merch

TGS was interesting but honestly I wouldn't do it again. Most of the time was spent being shoved around and the wait time to do anything was unreasonable. It took us 40 minutes just to reenter the merch area, for example.

master15

Some reading material for this thread:

Amir said:
Corrected spelling mistakes pointed out and split it into four parts:

Part I: Of Dreams & Dreamcasts: https://medium.com/@MoosaviAmir/6145a484bbf1

Part II: The Death of the Dreamcast and Shenmue’s Uncertain Fate: https://medium.com/@MoosaviAmir/7415134fd9c0

Part III: The Brief Lives of Shenmue Online & Shenmue City, the Birth of Ys Net, and the Seeds of an Idea: https://medium.com/@MoosaviAmir/91b3add6dbbd

Part IV: Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt & Hope: https://medium.com/@MoosaviAmir/feb33078ef60

Will look over it again tomorrow before publishing.

Maligna

Banned
Was so disappointed no Shenmue HD at PSX. Think I'm going to buy Yazkuza though, on the off chance it gives Shenmue a better shot at coming out.

master15

I know it's going to be a tall task but the attention to detail and the way the environments were crafted in the first two games still impresses me to this day. Curtesy of the folks at Shenmuedojo here are a few rips from Man-Mo temple in Shenmue 2:

f7pjFOF.jpg

Djg3q4A.jpg

7tXrdF9.jpg

mruGCu3.jpg

Dy3l09e.jpg

Erevador

I know it's going to be a tall task but the attention to detail and the way the environments were crafted in the first two games still impresses me to this day.
Yes, totally peerless in that regard. Endless credit to the work of Manabu Takimoto, who brought real world architecture experience to his work. The thing I love about Shenmue is it never feels like the environments were just designed to look cool. So many games you can tell they just had someone design a piece of concept art that looked "striking" and used that. Tends to produce environments that feel very "design-y." They don't have any physicality or real world logic.

Every building in Shenmue really makes sense. Form truly follows function. It's very Japanese in that way, and really stands out in the generally illogical world of video game designs.

So glad Takimoto is working on Shenmue III. Glad that aspect of the series is being carried forward.

Spaghetti

reminder: there are only 15 days left of the slacker backer campaign.

while upgrades for kickstarter pledges are not in place (yet), and the PC version not being available via slacker backer funding (we were told it would come, but there must have been some delay), if you want shenmue 3 on PS4 plus access to some extra goodies, now would be a good time to get yourself a copy and pledge.

so far they've raised over $130,000 via the slacker backer site with nearly an extra 2000 people pledging, and just shy of $30,000 left to reach the next stretch goal.

let's (continue to) save shenmue!

5pvMjUH.gif

mxsYPK5.gif

EaAYTt1.gif

that's the next stretch goal gettin' bopped.

ajim

reminder: there are only 15 days left of the slacker backer campaign.

while upgrades for kickstarter pledges are not in place (yet), and the PC version not being available via slacker backer funding (we were told it would come, but there must have been some delay), if you want shenmue 3 on PS4 plus access to some extra goodies, now would be a good time to get yourself a copy and pledge.

so far they've raised over $130,000 via the slacker backer site with nearly an extra 2000 people pledging, and just shy of $30,000 left to reach the next stretch goal.

let's (continue to) save shenmue!

5pvMjUH.gif

mxsYPK5.gif

EaAYTt1.gif

that's the next stretch goal gettin' bopped.

I threw in another lazy $100!

Spaghetti

I threw in another lazy $100!
yassss

i might throw in $60 for a PS4 copy before the end, though i have no real idea if i'll have a PS4 by the time of release. might just stick the disk in a spare dreamcast case and print a custom cover so it can sit side by side with my copies of shenmue/shenmue II.

definitely getting another PC copy when pledge upgrades/PC slacker backer stuff appears.

Theonik

I wish they enabled upgrades soon so I could drop a few hundred bucks down this pit again.

I might just get a second physical copy to have around.

miku

I wonder how long the shipping would take...

Really hope it doesn't take more than 2 weeks for the signed collector's edition to arrive.

Spaghetti

I wish they enabled upgrades soon so I could drop a few hundred bucks down this pit again.

I might just get a second physical copy to have around.
i totally want to pledge for the replica jacket, but i'm too broke. can't believe i've had two chances but not enough money.

Just noticed that we've reached 6.5M. 7.0M seems like it's pretty far off but hopefully they find a way to work in AI battling anyway. Might pledge yet again when I get paid next.

mabec

Did they remove the timeframe of the Paypal backing thing? Iam pretty sure the last date was set for 31st? Now its nothing? Concerning?

And what happen to us that backed the Kickstarter, when will we be allowed to upgrade that pledge?

Did they remove the timeframe of the Paypal backing thing? Iam pretty sure the last date was set for 31st? Now its nothing? Concerning?

And what happen to us that backed the Kickstarter, when will we be allowed to upgrade that pledge?

They said they're extending the deadline in a recent update:

PayPal Period Extension

So why bother with this when there are only a few days left on the Slacker Backer campaign? That is because the deadline has been extended! Many of you have asked for an extension, and we have been late in coming with promised add-on/up-grades system, so the Slacker Backer PayPal page will stay up and running to accept pledges. All contributions made will continue to go to the game’s development.

They said they're extending the deadline in a recent update:

PayPal Period Extension

So why bother with this when there are only a few days left on the Slacker Backer campaign? That is because the deadline has been extended! Many of you have asked for an extension, and we have been late in coming with promised add-on/up-grades system, so the Slacker Backer PayPal page will stay up and running to accept pledges. All contributions made will continue to go to the game’s development.

Have they still not gotten PC pledging up?

master15

oh god, me too. they were a steal. had no idea they were the size and quality they were.

They looked very impressive in the promotional video with Yu Suzuki during Shenmue's development and I could have sworn Sega scanned those models in to be used to create and build the passport-models.

During the final KS campaign video I think they mentioned some of the busts were damaged/discoloured due to being in storage but I still would have loved Ryo or Lan Di's bust.

Spaghetti

I literally went to bed that night, woke up and saw sold out.

I reckon i would have purchased two.
same, probably. i think they actually cost less than my pledge to be made into an in-game capsule toy.

They looked very impressive in the promotional video with Yu Suzuki during Shenmue's development and I could have sworn Sega scanned those models in to be used to create and build the passport-models.

During the final KS campaign video I think they mentioned some of the busts were damaged/discoloured due to being in storage but I still would have loved Ryo or Lan Di's bust.
i think they were at least used as an artist's reference, if not scanned like you said. i don't think they were damaged though, just a bit yellowed due to age. i recall it being said during the final hours livestream that they'd be restored before being shipped anyway, so they should hopefully look good as new for the lucky few who got them.

I wonder what's causing the delay.
if i had to wager a guess, likely discussions on release platform (mostly likely steam, without going through greenlight), and having the internal discussion and research on a DRM free version (which was requested by fans). in a vacuum, if these were the only things that had to get done, they'd likely get done very quickly. as it is, i think it might just be a manpower issue slowing things down.

Spaghetti

Nice. I really wanted that pledge. Which Shenmue character will be appearing along side you?
that's the $1800 tier, i got the $1200 tier which doesn't feature a character with my figure.

i'm actually really looking forward to seeing how that all pans out. like, what images do they need for kenji miyawaki to have an artist's reference? what will the final 3d model look like? i guess finding out is at least a year off at this point.

Top Bottom