• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Today, PS Vita is 4 years old

Consumer

Are you maybe thinking about this?
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-05-27-base-psp2-ngp-model-downgraded
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-07-28-dev-corroborates-ps-vita-ram-cut-rumour
Several sites were reporting this. But as it turned out and was confirmed by Sony Vita did indeed launch with the full 512MB RAM and the rumours were wrong.

That's the only story about hardware downgrades I can remember from before launch.

It was too long ago to remember clearly, but that seems like the only logical explanation, so you're probably right.

Yes, they reduced the VRAM I believe. It was meant to be 256 and it released at 128.

Brb researching

EDIT: So I couldn't find anything to verify that. It seems as though the 512MB RAM and 128MB VRAM were always known.

Sorry, I amended my statement. It wasn't VRAM it was a rumour regarding system memory being reduced from 512 to 256 but it never happened. System released with 512+128 as it was marketed with during NGP phase.

Ah, there we go. So yeah, chances are I read about the RAM halving rumour several years ago (before it was debunked).

MrNineties

It was too long ago to remember clearly, but that seems like the only logical explanation, so you're probably right.

Brb researching

Sorry, I amended my statement. It wasn't VRAM it was a rumour regarding system memory being reduced from 512 to 256 but it never happened. System released with 512+128 as it was marketed with during NGP phase.

MrNineties

Regarding a more on topic discussion, I've somehow owned the Vita 8 separate times. I can't explain what compels me to sell it and repurchase it but this is the life I live. I have a slim right now with a 17-Bit sticker on the back to remind me of what I will never have... Galak-Z on Vita.

AlucardGV

Banned
vita had a hard vita.
it's a wonderful device plagued by some mistakes (useless camera, retro touchpad, super expensive memory card)
i feel vita could have fared better if sony did it like they did with ps4, since Nintendo botched the 3ds launch.

One of the best handhelds I've used. Switched from a 2k to an OLED model recently and absolutely love it. Its PS1 emulation support is fantastic, what with per-game control remapping. I just wish it got more developer support. Some great ports if nothing else, though I wish the JRPG library were stronger and less... otaku-ish.

One of the best handhelds I've used. Switched from a 2k to an OLED model recently and absolutely love it. Its PS1 emulation support is fantastic, what with per-game control remapping. I just wish it got more developer support. Some great ports if nothing else, though I wish the JRPG library were stronger and less... otaku-ish.

The Jrpg lineup is strong I thought?

Happy Birthday Vita!!

Been on this crazy ride and fighting off idiots since day 1, it's been a long time coming :^)

2016 is looking to be a great year for our Legacy device.

Teletraan1

Banned
System was stillborn. MH 3DS exclusive and you could see Sony just wilt. The initial hype and price was exciting but it never recovered from that. I think it got some decent titles over its life and found some niches but game systems cannot survive on scraps and Sony imo never supported it proper.

I still debate getting a Vita for remote play all the time. . I don''t know when Sony plan to release their remote play to Mac and I don't want to buy an android phone when it might get patched out, and I don't want to spend a lot of money on a Sony phone. The vita has great games but the remote play has always been the biggest highlight in my eyes.

Bought a Vita this year. Absolutely love it.

It also brought into my life the 2nd best game I've ever played (only behind OoT).

p4g-header1-555x2501.png

Best portatil machine ever.
I played PS4G for the first time thanks to it and god I'm grateful.

Also, FFXHD is a joy to play on the go.

MGSHD is nice, but there are better ways to play it.

The only thing missing, is homebrew to get some emulators on the go.

I really hate the argument that Sony didn't support the Vita. The biggest strategic blunder was the memory cards, but the software was there. The launch titles were great, IMHO better than most other systems, and there were a number of PlayStation staples between 2012 and 2013. I think Sony was caught in a bind resource-wise of supporting PS3, launching ps4, and trying to keep Nintendo from having 100% of the dedicated handheld market. They bit off more than they could chew, and the quality of their own titles fluctuated, but the support was there. The market for the most part has moved on to mobile, so fixing whatever is often argued as broken wouldn't have dramatically changed the Vita's fortunes. Doubling its lifetime sales would put it around 25 million, still technically a commercial failure compared to the PSP and even their own sales projections( 10 million sold in year one?). Its debatable that even with 'cheap memory cards and better first party support', that things would be much better.

cireza

P4G's sales aren't related to Vita specifically, but to the ever-growing popularity of the Persona franchise. P4G just happened to be in the middle of it.

You can be certain that P5 will outsell P4G quite comfortably on a worldwide scale.
I still think it would have sold better in Vita than on PS4.

Haganeren

I have the PS Vita for 3 years, i don't really regret investing on it thanks to Ys, Gravity Rush, Danganronpa and that RPG with OKami style graphics i don't remember the name...

But still, i wouldn't talk about a great system, i tend to have played all those game in other plateform (Persona 4 is an excellent exemple of that) so i really don't play it often. The Tales of on it isn't really great on it too... Maybe it's because i don't really care for Monster Hunter-like game like Tokiden ? If not, i still search some game on it.

Still better than the PS4 for now i suppose.

I'm super LTTP and have only become a Vita owner (bought it used via CL) within the past few months but already I'm getting that warm fuzzy feeling I had years ago when the only gaming device I owned was a DSi and was completely satisfied due to the variety of games , as well as how it fit seamlessly into my busy work schedule. The Vita is such a great system and though my reasoning for purchasing it was primarily for Remote Play (which I do use quite a bit), I've become enamored with my VIta-only titles like P4G, Yomawari, and Freedom Wars. When I attended PSX a few weeks back I was just as excited to see upcoming Vita games like Severed and Cosmic Star Heroine, as I was to use PSVR.

Happy Birthday, Vita. You may not get the commercial success and support you deserve, but you're a helluva system.

RK128

Happy Birthday Vita :D!

Keep on fighting the good fight and continue giving great games for the coming year :).

Xeilyn

A great system, especially if you're a fan of the JRPG genre. Bought it on release and dont regret it one bit

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Yeah Im still bitter that Capcom couldnt be bothered to even make a spinoff MH game or a sequel to the portable series

Clearly they shifted to One Team, One game and one system
Two teams, a bunch of games, one system actually.

Vita is the worst handheld device since the Lynx but still isn't a terrible machine.

Glix

Remote play is awesome.

Wipeout is the most impressive portable game ever made.

Portable Spelunky/BOI/Resogun/Nuclear Throne is soooooooooooooooooo good.

Man God how do you mean. I would totally agree that Vita is the most poorly thought out and conceived for the martketplace portable since Lynx and was a mistake on Sony's part. But as a consumer? It's an amazing machine. Not only do I have an assload of software just because of PSOne games on my account carrying over, and crossbuy, but there are many games that are amazing or are amazing on every platform but having perfect portable versions is sublime.

Also, as a piece of hardware, the screen, buttons, the d-pad and especially the analog sticks are best in class, no other machine comes or has come anywhere close.

matmanx1

Woohoo, Happy Birthday, Vita! Thanks for all the good times and great games and also for continuing to be a really well built device hundreds of gaming hours later.

btw and please don't shoot me
Remote Play is the killer app
!

jbluzb

Bought the lime green and white color vita last week, together with persona 4 golden to understand the internet hype... and wow what a great game it is.😍

entremet

It's mostly been a daily Spelunky machine for me.

Good hardware, but the library hasn't been too compelling for me.

The memory card prices are a huge buzzkill and killed a lot of the excited I had for the system.

Ideally, I'd love a 128GB card at a decent price so I could have all my PS1, PSP, and Vita games easily accessible.

Glix

VitaGaf, maybe you can help me...

I was trying to play Battlefront online over remote play yesterday (not a great idea). When I partied up with my buddy, I realized that my wired headset that came with my PS4 does not work as a mic in the Vita.

I am doing remote play locally. I was wondering if there is a way to make this work. I have a bluetooth earpiece from my PS3 days. Would that work? Would I pair it to the Vita or the PS4? The Vita has a built in mic, right? I couldn't get that to work for remote play party chat either. I also have a headset for my PC with separate plugs for Audio and Mic. I don't think that will help, but, you know, full disclosure and all that.

Also, not a huge issue because 95% of the time when I load up Battlefront all I want to do is the speeder bike training.

Ideally, I'd love a 128GB at affordable prices so I could have all my PS1, PSP, and Vita games easily accessible.

I used to feel this way, and still kinda do... BUT, most good PSOne games are pretty small. The big ones are the multi-disc rpgs. When I finally admitted to myself that the only reason I want Final Fantasy 7,8,9, Legend of Dragoon, and Suikiden 2 all installed at the same time is my OCD, I started feeling better about the situation.

Dominator

Probably my favorite handheld of all-time behind the DS. I need to look back at my libraries for both and decide. Persona 4 Golden and Danganronpa and Virtue's Last Reward, just so many good games. Those 3 don't even scratch the surface.

Top Bottom