• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens - It's True. All of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minamu

Not that we can know for sure I guess, but is Han really dead for sure? :( Seems like an odd decision given the spinoff prequel movie about him. I assumed the original cast had signed up for minor roles throughout the entire new trilogy. Am I misinformed? :/

Not that we can know for sure I guess, but is Han really dead for sure? :( Seems like an odd decision given the spinoff prequel movie about him. I assumed the original cast had signed up for minor roles throughout the entire new trilogy. Am I misinformed? :/
Well unless they pull off a Maul in the films, no. He's dead.

jett

D-Member
Well, I didn't really much like it.

These are my spoiler free impressions:

Not great, man, not great. I'm close to classifying it as cinematic fan-fiction. One hand, I'm not all that disappointed because I didn't have high expectations to begin with, but on the other I am disappointed it wasn't better than I thought it would be. In a world where Jurassic World gets 71% on RT, I guess 95% for this one isn't completely ridiculous.

The main issue for me is the script. There are a lot of coincidences, to the point where I can no longer suspend my disbelief. I feel like they rushed into production with a half-baked script. It's no wonder the trailers didn't reveal any semblance of a plot, since there's not one that's worth the time to speak of. The most intriguing parts of the story are the parts that aren't even shown in the movie! The movie juggles several parts, and doesn't do it gracefully, leading to an often odd pacing. Especially near the end. This is because funnily enough like Episode 1 there's no clear protagonist. You can sorta say Rey is, but a lot of time is spent individually on other characters. Hell, Harrison Ford gets a large piece of the pie. I've tried to not drop any spoilers here, but I'll say one thing: Abrams's unnatural love for mysteries is one of the worst things about this flick (the actual worst is how much it constantly borrows from and shows reverence to the OT, it is a bit much). Speaking of him, he didn't really bring anything new with this new Star Wars. From a visual standpoint it's merely okay. Nothing mind-blowing is delivered, there's no breakthrough, standout sequence.

Like I said, sadly, it's about what I expected.

Characters-wise, I liked Finn the most easily. Rey was nice enough, and third-rate Vader was aight.

I dunno maynes, the more I think about this one the less I like it. It's obviously not offensively bad like Episode 1, but it's not great either. I definitely won't be going back for seconds.

Spoiler-wise... What's the point of leaving us hanging with Rey's identity (even if it's potentially obvious.) Just annoying, full-stop. And I could've done with less references to the OT. It reaches a point where I'm not sure they had any new good ideas. I don't really have much else to say. Han Solo's death was telegraphed as fuck, and the entire moment doesn't feel earned at all emotionally (to me anyway) as is pretty much a copy of Vader kills Obi-Wan. Big whoop. Driver does a nice enough job with Vader's hand-me-downs though. Even if he's a lamer that got totally destroyed by someone that discovered the force five seconds ago with no training of any sort.

nynt9

I figured it was to show that Kylo Ten is extremely strong in manipulating the force to do its will. Kind of like the mind probing. He's untrained, but appears to be insanely strong in the force. Given his heritage, not surprising.

Yet he loses like a jobber to a girl with no force/lightsaber training. But he slaughtered Luke's academy or something. heh

I wasn't even really kidding when I called him Prince Zuko. The parallels are downright uncanny and I feel like it's super obvious where they're going with his character. Or maybe they'll surprise me, but that seems rather unlikely

Him taking off his helmet made me stop taking him seriously pretty much instantly. Had they shown only part of it when Rey gave him the scar would've been way better.

jett

D-Member
how comes armored Storm Troopers drop dead when a bolt hits them anywhere yet everyone wearing casual apparel can take blaster bolts and lightsaber cuts like a champ, anyway

cuz da force is all powerful

except when you're facing a total newb

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Daisy Ridley, doesn't have much by way of a character to play: I could tell you more about Amidala or Anakin's personality and beliefs in the prequels than I could either of those two

Huh?! If you wanna play the Plinkett game, then let's play.
Rey is a survivor, she is very wary of other people around her because of where she lives, she's a strong fighter but at the same time she's not egotistic and always ready to look out for smaller beings that may be looking up to her for protection. She's an orphan and a bit naive as she waits for her family to come and find her.

Equating her to Padme who was a charisma black hole? No. Just no.

Hagi

So we're just ignoring the blaster bolt he took to the gut?

Finn got one or two hits on him as well but it was pretty clear the dude was injured. He comes across as a blunt instrument so it'll be interesting where they go from here in regards to his training.

Ogimachi

Mega post on the film, bullet-pointed since I'm tired.
(This makes it sound as if I didn't like it, thought it was great 8/10)
Pretty much what I thought as well.
I'd also add:

- Poe didn't get enough screen time, great potential and charisma there.
- Hux was a pleasant surprise. Thought he was going to have a cameo like Max von Sydow's character.
- The Nurember Rally was just bad. The nazi parallels were clear already, but then Hux did a Hitler impression and the whole scene felt waay too heavy-handed. Might as well have made the First Order speak galactic german.
- Not enough background on any of the factions or what the hell happened to the rest of the galaxy since the OT. Looking back on ANH, the 2-minute long scenewith Tarkin, Vader and the commanders did wonders to the film in that regard. In this one we got the Nuremberg Rally, multiple meetings with Snoke, several conversations between Hux and Kylo, yet little was explained.
- They could've used just as much from ANH without having so many coincidences.
- The trench run felt misplaced, or maybe a bit rushed. I'll pay close attention to it next time.

Well, I didn't really much like it.

These are my spoiler free impressions:

Spoiler-wise... What's the point of leaving us hanging with Rey's identity (even if it's potentially obvious.) Just annoying, full-stop. And I could've done with less references to the OT. It reaches a point where I'm not sure they had any new good ideas. I don't really have much else to say. Han Solo's death was telegraphed as fuck, and the entire moment doesn't feel earned at all emotionally (to me anyway) as is pretty much a copy of Vader kills Obi-Wan. Big whoop. Driver does a nice enough job with Vader's hand-me-downs though. Even if he's a lamer that got totally destroyed by someone that discovered the force five seconds ago with no training of any sort.

Yup. Like I've said, the script is the thing that brings it down. On a filmmaking level I loved it, though. Remember when BobbyRoberts was saying there's no reason JJ and Kasdan need another six months when ESB's production was done in the same time?

Those six months could have been crucial for the film, instead of shooting based on a completely re-written script handed in 2 weeks before cameras started rolling.

pringles

So instead of a power trio like Luke, Leia, and Han, are these films only gonna have Rey and Fnn as the leads? I'd like Poe to be in there but from this film it looks like Rey and Finn work best as a duo.
There has to be more Finn and Poe bromance in the next one. Maybe Finn becomes a resistance pilot at the same as Rey is training with Luke. Kylo will likely have a prominent role too, lots of ways to explore his character too.

I liked Finn, but I felt he was borderline too much on the humor. Especially this part. When anyone does what Han does(pointing and looking at something with their face) You look where they are looking. Its not really anything new, or confusing. Small nitpick. I just think Finn could have been dialed back just a tad bit. Like just be a tad more serious in a situation like that. I enjoyed the humor though.
Agreed with you on that moment, but overall I love how he was written. Just impossible to not like him. Boyega is perfect as the loveable buffoon with a heart of gold.

Yet he loses like a jobber to a girl with no force/lightsaber training. But he slaughtered Luke's academy or something. heh
Possibly/likely together with his Knights of Ren. Kylo was portrayed as someone that is likely powerful, but Snoke said facing Han would be his toughest test yet and scenes such as the one with the Vader mask or when he smashes things show that he's in no way fully trained.

Hagi

Yes, thats clear but he wasn't exactly important to Han or Leia. Luke, yes, but not those two.

He sacrificed himself for all of them not just Luke so I'd say he was pretty important character to Han and Leia. You don't really need to be super close to someone to name your son after them but Ben is a pretty influential character in the series so to me it made sense.

vordhosbn

Banned
am i the only one who thinks star wars now has too many of "weird characters that speak gibberish but the protagonists understand them"? between r2d2, bb8 and chewie like it's way too many.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
He sacrificed himself for all of them not just Luke so I'd say he was pretty important character to Han and Leia. You don't really need to be super close to someone to name your son after them but Ben is a pretty influential character in the series so to me it made sense.

I know, it just felt forced having Han and Leia name their kid after him.

Fliesen

to anyone saying it's like ANH - i don't disagree, but i'd actually say it's not just 'like ANH' but actually the entire original trilogy.

Jakoo is the first acts of ANH, up until the cantina.

Rey's visions are very similar to what happened on Dagobah during ESB.
So is the father - son confrontation

And the final battle is much more like ROTJ, seeing as we get a lightsaber duel, someone trying to deactivate a shield / setting up explosive charges in a bunker-like building, while a "space" (or rather, lower atmospheric) battle is happening as well.

Sure, there's a hint of a "trench", but the fact that Poe penetrates the enemy structure with his entire ship is much more like the Battle of Endor.

It's a mishmash of motives from the entire trilogy, not just ANH.

Ophelion

Yes, thats clear but he wasn't exactly important to Han or Leia. Luke, yes, but not those two.

He's quite literally the man that brought both his parents together in the first place. Like, if not for old Ben Kenobi, mom and dad never would've met (and mom would probably be dead and the galaxy would still be under Imperial rule, but y'know, kind of irrelevant to why they probably named him that.)

Yup. Like I've said, the script is the thing that brings it down. On a filmmaking level I loved it, though. Remember when BobbyRoberts was saying there's no reason JJ and Kasdan need another six months when ESB's production was done in the same time?

Those six months could have been crucial for the film, instead of shooting based on a completely re-written script handed in 2 weeks before cameras started rolling.

Source on this? Didn't follow production since I wanted to go in as blind as possible.

iddqd

The movie showed me why TV storytelling is far better and closer to my heart at the moment than movie storytelling.
Imagine an episode focused on Finn losing his believes.
Or an hour on how Rey is struggling with her surroundings.

I guess everyone would go "DUH!" of course more is better.. but none of the key moments felt earned in the film. At least not their relationships. Half way into the film, after hanging out for maybe half a day, they are already deep in love and ready to give their life for each other. I would buy that easier in Part 2.

The original group had it easier with
Han Solo having GREED and Skywalker having a BONER as their reason to save a lady.

Lashley

He's quite literally the man that brought both his parents together in the first place. Like, if not for old Ben Kenobi, mom and dad never would've met (and mom would probably be dead and the galaxy would still be under Imperial rule, but y'know, kind of irrelevant to why they probably named him that.)

And how would Leia know that?

She wouldn't.

Fliesen

The movie showed me why TV storytelling is far better and closer to my heart at the moment than movie storytelling.
Imagine an episode focused on Finn losing his believes.
Or an hour on how Rey is struggling with her surroundings.

I guess everyone would go "DUH!" of course more is better.. but none of the key moments felt earned in the film. At least not their relationships. Half way into the film, after hanging out for maybe half a day, they are already deep in love and ready to give their life for each other. I would buy that easier in Part 2.

The original group had it easier with
Han Solo having GREED and Skywalker having a BONER as their reason to save a lady.

That makes me think you didn't properly watch the movie.
I don't think you can make it anymore clear than Rey kissing Finn on his FOREHEAD, saying they'll meet again, calling him "friend". They are not in love. They're hugging - like friends do. They try to look out for one another - like friends do.
She's not in love with him, she considers him her closest friend - which is believable since she clearly was a loner, back on Jakoo.

Do some of you guys seriously have such a hard time believing that a male and female character in a hollywood blockbuster could simply be really good friends?

So who are the "obvious" parents of Rey??? I don't get it.

I have such mixed feelings about the movie, on one side I enjoyed it because it was Star Wars, the effects were cool and it's just more Star Wars.

On the other hand the plot was so basic and bland and empty that I felt myself getting bored during he plot development parts and just wanted to get to the next thing.

I really have no idea how it turned out like this, it feels like... Something I can't put my finger on.

I was also disappointed there was no faded out yoda, obiwan or anakin during visions or whatever, the entire thing is just not going to be the same without yoda.

Hagi

I know, it just felt forced having Han and Leia name their kid after him.

Each to their own I suppose. I liked that they went out of their way to name their son after him. The meeting of him and Luke is going to be something else, Luke is firmly in the position Ben was in with Anakin but I hope we get Snoke vs Luke and Rey vs Kylo.

Fliesen

So who are the "obvious" parents of Rey??? I don't get it.

I have such mixed feelings about the movie, on one side I enjoyed it because it was Star Wars, the effects were cool and it's just more Star Wars.

On the other hand the plot was so basic and bland and empty that I felt myself getting bored during he plot development parts and just wanted to get to the next thing.

I really have no idea how it turned out like this, it feels like... Something I can't put my finger on.

someone from the skywalker family, some would argue (which i think, right now, is grasping at straws)

what i do agree with, after my 2nd viewing, is that the visions Rey has when touching Luke's sword, look more like memories to me.
So she might have very well been the only surviving student of 'Camp Luke'.

that, to me, still doesn't mean she's necessarily any currently named character's daughter.

Ennosuke

I had fun, but the movie was maybe a little bit too simple, with the re-use of many things we have seen before. Tatooine 2.0, Death Star 3.0 and many similar scenes. I really hope that we learn more new exciting things in the next movie. A kind of unique story, with some complexity would be nice. Star Wars should not rely this much on old stuff. I know why they did it, but this universe offers so many opportunities for creativity.

The movie looked great, the cast is awesome. This Kylo and Han scene was well done. Although I think that Williams did a better job for the PT Soundtrack.

Lashley

Each to their own I suppose. I liked that they went out of their way to name their son after him. The meeting of him and Luke is going to be something else, Luke is firmly in the position Ben was in with Anakin but I hope we get Snoke vs Luke and Rey vs Kylo.

Can't wait for this

iddqd

That makes me think you didn't properly watch the movie.
I don't think you can make it anymore clear than Rey kissing Finn on his FOREHEAD, saying they'll meet again, calling him "friend". They are not in love. They're hugging - like friends do. They try to look out for one another - like friends do.
She's not in love with him, she considers him her closest friend - which is believable since she clearly was a loner, back on Jakoo.

Do some of you guys seriously have such a hard time believing that a male and female character in a hollywood blockbuster could simply be really good friends?

?
They can be friends, enemies, chess buddies... I dont care.
I just did not believe the depth of their affection for each other looking at the time they had together.
It was not EARNED in my opinion. Not enough time in this packed film for those two to actually have a conversation.

EpicBox

The only downside I found with this movie is that it doesn't make sense why R2D2 suddenly turned on at the end.

Other than that, it's an outstanding film and I think my favourite of the whole saga. I loved every minute.

Captain Phasma was an overhyped character who added nothing to the film. Maybe she'll have more to do in the next one. I'm not going to count that as a flaw because it's more of a marketing thing than an issue with the movie itself.

eot

Banned
So we're just ignoring the blaster bolt he took to the gut?

Well, he force pushed Rey in the beginning. Did he run out of juice or something?

The only downside I found with this movie is that it doesn't make sense why R2D2 suddenly turned on at the end.

Other than that, it's an outstanding film and I think my favourite of the whole saga. I loved every minute.

Captain Phasma was an overhyped character who added nothing to the film. Maybe she'll have more to do in the next one. I'm not going to count that as a flaw because it's more of a marketing thing than an issue with the movie itself.

There's a midichlorian counter in R2D2, that triggered the map :O

Fliesen

?
They can be friends, enemies, chess buddies... I dont care.
I just did not believe the depth of their affection for each other looking at the time they had together.
It was not EARNED in my opinion. Not enough time in this packed film for those two to actually have a conversation.

it's a movie, relationships are kinda condensed. ANH wasn't any better in that regard. Luke was super mopey about losing his mentor (who had been a mentor to him for a few hours, only). Luke was super bummed about Han not being a good bro and joining the rebellion / attack on the death star, even though he met him half a day ago.

I don't mind some people having higher standards than this film can meet, but i wonder if those are standards that even the OT would have been able to meet.

also, you claimed they were in love, which i pointed out that there was no indication (at least on Rey's side) that they were, which makes your judgement of the believability of their relationship somewhat doubtful, seeing as you can't even tell when 2 people are in love and when they are simply very good friends, no offense.

Violet_0

Banned

Snoke better be an actual giant

Ithil

I assumed because Rey was there, R2 powered back up.

Slaythe

People that wanted more Poe.

You do realize it's because he's an Han Solo rip off in the least subtle way possible.(which doesn't make him a bad character)

You can't have them both with leading roles in the same movie.

Han 2 will be there a lot in the sequels, don't be scared.

Just got back from the movie and...WOW. just wow. Kylo Ren is an amazing villian IMO..
that lightsaber duel was simply brutal. different than the other films..I liked it.

xandaca

Huh?! If you wanna play the Plinkett game, then let's play.
Rey is a survivor, she is very wary of other people around her because of where she lives, she's a strong fighter but at the same time she's not egotistic and always ready to look out for smaller beings that may be looking up to her for protection. She's an orphan and a bit naive as she waits for her family to come and find her.

Equating her to Padme who was a charisma black hole? No. Just no.

Padme is a rational and compassionate young woman with a fierce belief in the importance of democracy and fair governance. She stringently debates and opposes anyone who argues for potentially dangerous compromises in those principles, or who would use well-intentioned systems to gain personal power. Unfortunately, she's also naive and somewhat easily led, making her vulnerable to both the manipulations of Senator Palpatine and unable to see the darkness growing inside Anakin until it's too late. She believes that there is a diplomatic solution to every problem, that the best way of obtaining justice is to work within existing legal channels. Unfortunately, since her enemies do not respect the same rules she does, she is often overtaken by them. She is nevertheless brave and willing to fight for her cause when need be, sometimes recklessly if it means putting herself in harm's way.

Anakin is a young man who shares Padme's almost obsessive questing for an ideal, but finds himself fiercely conflicted when he or those around him fail to live up to those standards. Like Padme, he's also compassionate, but where that compassion inspires determination in her, it inspires anger in him, leading him down dangerous paths and into the hands of Palpatine. Having been told he is the chosen one since he was a boy and gifted with extremely potent force powers, he has a strong ego which he struggles to control, a weakness he is well aware of and angry at his inability to overcome. Where Padme sees diplomacy as the best way to achieve peace, Anakin - having grown up in a desolate and poverty-ridden corner of the galaxy which the Republic showed little interest in helping - believes sometimes bad things need to be in order to achieve a greater good, that the corrupt and evil cannot be defeated by talking. His relationships mean a lot to him and he puts a great deal of trust in a small number of confidantes (Padme, Palpatine, Obi Wan), magnifying his anger when he feels betrayed by them, or when he believes he has let them down, as in his inability to save his mother.

Even taking into account that Padme and Anakin had three films across which to develop and Rey's only had one, I maintain that, regardless of the performances (and indeed, for the prequels, the dialogue), the new characters in Force Awakens are considerably blander, less flawed and complex, than the key players (Anakin, Obi Wan, Palpatine, Padme) in the prequels.

TM94

Anyone else feel the film could have done with being longer?

Should have been allowed to breathe a bit more, plus I would have liked to have seen the Kylo scene in the Falcon that was supposedly cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom