• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens - It's True. All of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nib95

Banned
Well, they showed force powers earlier when it suited the story. Why gimp him at the end? Because he required to lose. He would have dummied both but they write him not to. He force pushed her with a blaster shot as well. He could have done it again.

It's bad writing.

Not really. Guy is crazy, loves confrontation, was emotionally unbalanced, has anger management issues and was also badly injured. The fight made perfect sense to me.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Also, all the people calling Rey a Mary Sue: are you overlooking the fact that she seems terrified of the Force, of accepting her apparent destiny? I mean, the final shot is her trying to hand Luke the lightsaber, fear in her eyes, as if she's asking him to fight in her place.

Kind of a big character flaw for the protagonist.

Just a bit of a note. Not saying Rey is a Sue but do realize that because someone is gimped doesn't make them incapable of being a sue, nor is rejecting power.

Again, Batman. Super gimped at all, yet poor writing puts him in a Sue state because "he can do all that shit in spite of not being a superpowered hero".

MightyKAC

Just saw the movie and I loved it.

Especially Finn, hands down my favorite character by far.

Took me a while to realize exactly why though until it hit me.

Finn basically became the Mumen Rider near the end.

During the fight between Kylo and Finn I was totally this kid right here.

jdaJZc3.png

It's not speculating on good evidence, it's just speculating with giant hoops to make things fit.

I'm sorry I missed the rules of speculation that we are required to adhere to. Maybe we should list them at the top of the thread. Not to mention, I don't really think these "hoops" are all that gigantic.

Go re-watch the OT and you can nitpick a lot of the same things. Why didn't Vader just Force Choke Obi-Wan and be done with it? Why didn't he just Force Choke Luke unconscious so he could freeze him in carbonite without a drawn out light saber battle?

You suck the enjoyment out of things like this when you start chipping away too much.

Not really. Guy is crazy, loves confrontation, was emotionally unbalanced, has anger management issues and was also badly injured. The fight made perfect sense to me.

The quote below goes against what you said.

Kylo told snoke he needed his help getting the map out of Rey. Snoke said bring heeer tooo meeeee!

See. This makes sense.

I think a lot of people are trying to make the movie make sense just because they want it to.

duckroll

Kylo told snoke he needed his help getting the map out of Rey. Snoke said bring heeer tooo meeeee!

That's not how I remember the scene. Ren talks about her resisting him and being force sensitive. At that point Snoke gets very interested and wants him to bring her to him. Force sensitive individuals are rare, especially young ones, so I think he wants to corrupt as many as possible.

Matticers

The answer is always "hindsight is 20/20"

Kylo was unstable and kind of a fuck up. He just killed his dad, was bleeding, out of control. Who knows what he was thinking at that point, but just because you can doesnt mean you always do the right move at the right time. For all we know he sees lukes saber and just becomes fixated on it and just lashes out. Again, Kylo was shown multiple times throughout the movie to be irrational.

I mean, I suppose. But he was irate with this guy who basically betrayed him and is causing problems for him. I think the only way you could explain him not just using force powers against him is that he wanted to toy with him before killing him. But I don't see why anyone would take that risk there when, one, the other person is wielding a weapon that can cut you in half with one lucky swing. Not to mention the guy holding that weapon had at least some combat training. And two, he still had allies lurking nearby who could join in at any moment. Just seemed kind of odd not to just kill him immediately and move on to his friends, even if he wanted to torture him a bit. I'll just have to chalk it up to him wanting to mess around with the guy before killing him so I don't view the scene too negatively.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

It seems to me that he did in fact rerecord the lines in a similar manner, though I can't be positive. I guess the voice masking could be different or something. Here's how they're cut slightly differently, I went and looked it up.

In Return of the Jedi

Luke: "The force is strong in my family. My father has it. I have it. My sister has it. Yes, it's you, Leia."

Leia: "I know. Somehow I've always known."

In the trailer it's cut as follows:

"The force is strong in my family. My father has it. I have it. My sister has it. You have that power too."

To me this is a pretty obvious reuse of the same sentiment, revealing to the person being spoken to that they're related. To some other member of his family than Leia.
If there isn't a reveal of the idea of Luke being related to someone important to the future of the universe then that trailer is a pretty big misdirect IMO.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Read the "Before the Awakening" book.
Really drives home Rey. She's borderline sociopathic with enormous trust issues, christ.

MattyG

Banned
Why didn't Kylo Force Pull the saber from Finn?

We're just gonna have to accept that some stuff is poorly written and roll with it.
For the same reason that Vader never Force Pulls Luke's away from him in any of the OT fights; because it wouldn't make a very exciting scene.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Well there was Miles from Lost. Not sure about the other. Unless you count Greg Grunberg who barely counts as a Lost "actor" as he was dead in the pilot episode.

Yea Grunberg.... he was in the pilot but he came back toward the end (equally briefly) when Lapidus realized the Oceanic wreckage was faked!

But fine, Heroes and LOST characters then.

I'll take the direction, though, because at least he wasn't another white haired old man.
Asian resistence leader, black wing pilot, asian female wing pilot, female droid and comms officer... very different leadership under Leia than the original Resistance!

Rule #1 of the internet in dealing with fandoms: Never take anyone seriously who uses the term "Mary-Sue" unless they're making fun of the term "Mary-Sue".

Unless you want people to feel embarrassed for you, then you should throw it around as often as possible.

Vodh

Bullshit. A female lead is not immune to criticism just because she's female.

If her character has problems we can criticize them, and there were problems. No one would dare say any of this if she was executed like Ellen Ripley, but she wasn't.

Mary Sue is not a criticism, it's a slur. I haven't read the entire internet tho, so if you have a link or a copypasta to a balanced argument explaining WHY she's a mary sue and pointing out why what she's done in this movie should have not been possible for someone with her background I would be happy to read it with an open mind. Truly, deeply happy to.

Well, they showed force powers earlier when it suited the story. Why gimp him at the end? Because he required to lose. He would have dummied both but they write him not to. He force pushed her with a blaster shot as well. He could have done it again.

It's bad writing.

It's like some bleach shit. I'm just going to hit you harder and faster is what she did. I thought she was gonna do something force-y

Again, we're nitpicking movie logic vs if the film is actually good.

Why did the Death Star have one hole to attack? Why did Vader not choke obi wan to death instead of a lightsaber duel? Why doesn't x wings just shoot Vader down with torpedoes? Why didn't Vader just force choke Luke just enough so he can incapacitate him?

nib95

Banned

See. This makes sense.

I think a lot of people are trying to make the movie make sense just because they want it to.

I don't get it, where is the contradiction? He was doing what Snope asked until the altercations started, and where he also started getting too emotionally invested and even more injured. At some point orders were no longer the agenda, and instead he just saw rage through a window of pain and anger, which also made him extra sloppy.

Mary Sue is not a criticism, it's a slur. I haven't read the entire internet tho, so if you have a link or a copypasta to a balanced argument explaining WHY she's a mary sue and pointing out why what she's done in this movie should have not been possible for someone with her background I would be happy to read it with an open mind. Truly, deeply happy to.

Where'd she learn about piloting, ship design, engineering? Hasn't she been a scavenger since she was orphaned?

Chitown B

what in the fuck is a "mary sue"?

Why did the Death Star have one hole to attack? Why did Vader not choke obi wan to death instead of a lightsaber duel? Why doesn't x wings just shoot Vader down with torpedoes? Why didn't Vader just force choke Luke just enough so he can incapacitate him?
Im not really nitpicking here. Im not saying why didnt they instant KO each other or whatever. I just don't think the payoff for that meditation and pause was very good. It seemed like it was leading up to something Force-y, to evoke the title of the movie. Instead she just hit Kylo Ren better.

Vice

I mean, I suppose. But he was irate with this guy who basically betrayed him and is causing problems for him. I think the only way you could explain him not just using force powers against him is that he wanted to toy with him before killing him. But I don't see why anyone would take that risk there when, one, the other person is wielding a weapon that can cut you in half with one lucky swing. Not to mention the guy holding that weapon had at least some combat training. And two, he still had allies lurking nearby who could join in at any moment. Just seemed kind of odd not to just kill him immediately and move on to his friends, even if he wanted to torture him a bit. I'll just have to chalk it up to him wanting to mess around with the guy before killing him so I don't view the scene too negatively.
The previous six films have shown that the male Skywalkers are prone to just follow emotion rather than sense in battle. Vader, the one he emulates so much, lost pretty much all of his fights because of that reason. Luke in the OT as well, once he got his emotions worked up got overwhelmed in saber combat most of the time too.

The alternatives were more interesting than a force choke. You could make Ren lose in an interesting way but they don't. Heck, you could have made it where he fell down a hole before he kills or captures Rey and that would be fine, but him losing made him a giant jobber since we already know his accomplishments.

I don't get it, where is the contradiction? He was doing what Snope asked until the alternations started, and he started getting too emotionally invested and even more injured. At some point orders were never the agenda, he just saw rage through a window of pain and anger, which also made him extra sloppy.
There's a movie reason for him being a jobber but people found things like mental instability etc as reasons for why he lost.

duckroll

Where'd she learn about piloting, ship design, engineering? Hasn't she been a scavenger since she was orphaned?

She scavenges ships, and she's a huge rebel fangirl as can be seen from her shack. I think it makes sense that she would have a good understanding of how ships work, and what parts go where, simply from her line of work. The piloting is kinda whatever though. Lol.

She scavenges ships, and she's a huge rebel fangirl as can be seen from her shack. I think it makes sense that she would have a good understanding of how ships work, and what parts go where, simply from her line of work. The piloting is kinda whatever though. Lol.

Has she worked on a functional ship before? She knows how to repair them, and not all the ships are similar, but she seems very natural at fixing and diagnosing the problems. I'd get it if she worked part time on the Falcon as a way to earn food.

Vodh

Who knows, did you get enough information from the movie to suggest she couldn't possibly have gotten that background?

Criticism of the insufficient background on a character's skillset to make it believable to the viewer is a good and legitimate criticism, one of which I approve. Doesn't make the character a Mary Sue tho.

NEEEXT.

Fj0823

Wait what? Mary Sue and Gary Stu are not slurs...

This is a Mary Sue.

That's not how I remember the scene. Ren talks about her resisting him and being force sensitive. At that point Snoke gets very interested and wants him to bring her to him. Force sensitive individuals are rare, especially young ones, so I think he wants to corrupt as many as possible.

It's both, but more yours. Was just giving the cliff notes version

See. This makes sense.

Something your ruling out is that Kylo may know Ren. He seems to have a familiarity with her although nothing is flat out said. His offer to train her may just be mutual force respect, but it shows that he doesn't see her as someone lower than him.

His force push at the beginning of the final fight had nothing to do with a tactical way of knocking her out to bring her to Snoke, and everything to do with her strong feelings toward the father he had just killed.

Vice

Has she worked on a functional ship before? She knows how to repair them, and not all the ships are similar, but she seems very natural at fixing and diagnosing the problems. I'd get it if she worked part time on the Falcon as a way to earn food.
I think that's the force. I believe Anakin was also unnaturally good at piloting and repair from a young age even though he had no knowledge of the force or much experience piloting.

duckroll

I don't think it is remotely unreasonable to just assume that over the 10+ years she has been on Jakku, that she has taken on various jobs which could include helping people fix or tune their ships. It's a backwater planet of sorts, so it's not like people would be particularly picky about the help they can get.

Also, I disagree that not all ships are similar. This is Star Wars. Every planetary destroyer also has a similar weakness!

Who knows, did you get enough information from the movie to suggest she couldn't possibly have gotten that background?

Criticism of the insufficient background on a character's skillset to make it believable to the viewer is a good and legitimate criticism, one of which I approve. Doesn't make the character a Mary Sue tho.

NEEEXT.

Yes. I know she's a scavenger who lives in a ship. At best she fixes hover bikes or other hover objects. That's not a space ship or flying one. I know what they're going for because the action scenes on Jakku reinforce what type of character Rey is supposed to be on paper. Overall I let it slide 'cause the idea is more important than the story but it still bothers me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom