• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

jholmes

All aboard the Wiggle mobile!
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/D8E3-0000-0126-CAD9

Nothing wrong with the level other than I've quickly discovered I don't get on with these new bumpers! I found them more inconsistent than any spring or note block, though I did like the different trajectories they provide. Well done for being one of the first to give it a crack anyway.

Worth noting as apparently some of you are having issues: unlike music blocks and springs, you can hold B down between jumps and Mario will jump his highest the whole time. Jumping off bumpers works like jumping off enemies.

Are you saying there was actually a time it dropped out or exploded early once you were actually starting the flying section?

It blew up the crib before I got to it. The only clue I had that something was wrong was that you used it has the preview pic!

The engine can sometimes be finnicky, as anyone who has put a piranha plant in a pipe knows. Just figured you should know, it might be relatively easy to isolate, or not.

Nerrel

Please play my level, gaf. I'm sick of the 10-course limit, and not too proud to beg:
23327413744_3b4e702de7_b.jpg
Bookmark

This is what happens when I give up on baby-proofing courses and just make something destined to murder 90% of players (it's still not that hard). It's inspired by my love of 3D Land's obstacle course style bowser levels.

It blew up the crib before I got to it. The only clue I had that something was wrong was that you used it has the preview pic!

The engine can sometimes be finnicky, as anyone who has put a piranha plant in a pipe knows. Just figured you should know, it might be relatively easy to isolate, or not.

Like I said in my reply I have no idea why that triggers in the previous section. Oh well, like you said the engine isn't perfect. At least I'm aware now the engine acts up occasionally so I'll be ready ahead of time.

Please play my level, gaf. I'm sick of the 10-course limit, and not too proud to beg:

This is what happens when I give up on baby-proofing courses and just make something destined to murder 90% of players (it's still not that hard). It's inspired by my love of 3D Land's obstacle course style bowser levels.

I gave it a shot. I can definitely feel the inspiration from 3D Land. A pretty fun quick course.

If you're feeling up to it, I'd love some feedback on this course.

CrisKre

Itd be really helful if you put a link to the bookmark page.

CrisKre

Merry Christmas to all!

So I played through the remainder of my bookmarks. Not a single dud among them. I'll link the bookmarks rather than try and find people's posts.

Sawblade Walker
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/C7F1-0000-00E6-01C6

Excellent reuse of areas to open up the level Metroid-style. A couple of times I wasn't sure where I should go with the shoe. The level has a clean, uniform look, but on the other hand could do with a few more visual flourishes to identify each section.

All aboard the Wiggle mobile!
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/D8E3-0000-0126-CAD9

Nothing wrong with the level other than I've quickly discovered I don't get on with these new bumpers! I found them more inconsistent than any spring or note block, though I did like the different trajectories they provide. Well done for being one of the first to give it a crack anyway.

DK country: Forest Frenzy
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/63CC-0000-007B-8F07

Surprised at the completion rate, once you figure out the start (and not jump onto the question block like I did 3 times!) this is pretty easy. It's a distinctive and highly memorable level that was fun to navigate. My only criticism is it could do with a checkpoint. The speed of the moving vines is really slow and because you can't really dictate the pace it's a bit of a grind to have to start back at the beginning if you die near the end.

Dr Gozert: Midnight Struggles
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/2D3A-0000-00AF-F9D7

Cool concept, lovely presentation and solid platforming. I like how you presented the two paths near the end. If I didn't have such a long list of levels I would have given it a second go.

Gradius-Destroy the core! STG
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/2BB8-0000-0125-C2CA

What you might call a thumbnail level. Looks great in preview but the terrific design is lost a up close. This leaves players with the shooting, but strangely there's not enough of it for my tastes. I remember there being more in your R-Type level. I am so pleased that you're paying homage to these great shmups though, keep it going!

Ruins of the thousand flames!
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/7167-0000-00F9-844B

You have the gift CrisKre. You somehow seem to cram so much stuff in your levels but they never feel cluttered. Your platforming is by equal measure interesting and surprising yet easy to figure out. Well done.

Zero Suit Swim
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/615F-0000-0123-14C5

Love the title, and anything with ZSS in is cool in my book. Level is a bit short and easy for my tastes but gives just enough of a pleasant diversion.

Super Mario planets - Planet 2-4
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/F061-0000-0125-3206

My son found it hilarious how many times I died in the same spot, and the more laughter I got the worse I did. I had tremendous fun though. The Bullet towers on conveyor belts provide for some skillful platforming that also taxed the brain. Knowing where to be on the conveyor belt was as important as making the actual jumps. Great work.

Charge! Shoot the core!
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/B3D1-0000-0127-3BE7

Another shooter, but what this one lacks in style compared to Agent Unknown's makes up with shooting. Quite good, a little unimaginative perhaps but showcases the new Clown car charge mechanic well.

Frozen (ver. 3)
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/13B7-0000-00E3-F141

Enjoyable, free flowing level until the muncher part where you are thrown out of your rhythm until you figure out where the star is hidden. I feel this bit is unnecessary as it isn't very intuitive, nor interesting enough of a diversion. I found your level well designed from a platforming point of view though.

Thank you sir! Really really appreciated.

I just happened to find and play Sawblade Walker randomly on the server highlights earlier this week, wow, great stage with tight design and a solid art style. Didn't realize it was made by a Gaffer here?

Gradius-Destroy the core! STG
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/2BB8-0000-0125-C2CA

What you might call a thumbnail level. Looks great in preview but the terrific design is lost a up close. This leaves players with the shooting, but strangely there's not enough of it for my tastes.

Missed your comment earlier. Well, you need to keep in mind as I've said before it's meant to be simple because it's a tribute stage (I have a very simple Bubble Bobble tribute stage too). I made it as a fun, breezy "sightseeing" experience for fellow Gradius fans and I think it met that objective as both the updated version and the original have the highest completion rates, stars and enthusiastic comments out of all my levels. Fan service aside, designing a stage based on Gradius and making the "Core" ships and other elements was not easy. (for the Fire Car version I completely overhauled the "boss" Core ship at the end to look a lot more authentic).

I remember there being more in your R-Type level. I am so pleased that you're paying homage to these great shmups though, keep it going!

Thanks. I plan on making more shmup stages soon from the ground up using the Fire Car and one of them will be a bullet hell stage.

Inkwell

Banned
So in my last attempt to create a level with a boss battle, the level was apparently too hard and no one actually got to the boss battle:

So this time I made the level with just the boss battle itself and would really like to get some feedback on it if a few of you could give it a whirl.

I tried both even though the second one is just the boss battle. The level was a little difficult, but it's so short that it's not much of a problem. I liked the part with the shell helmet. The rest of the level does fall a little flat. It feels like a little bit of filler before the boss battle, which is the best part of the level anyway. It was probably a good idea to make a boss battle only level. If you would like to keep a platforming section, I recommend making it a little easier. You could even tie it together with the boss battle and have kamek be a theme throughout the whole thing.

The boss battle itself was actually kind of genius. I'm not sure if the execution was ideal, but the general concept is there and pretty solid. I don't think that the firebars are really necessary. It's already difficult enough with the blocks turning into enemies and the limited amount of kameks. If you still want more danger, it may be better to use fireballs on a vertical or oval/circular track. You would still have the extra danger but it would probably be slightly more balanced.

jb1234

Just got this for Christmas! I immediately tried out the 100 Mario Challenge and uh... man, there were some real stinkers in there. Like truly terrible. And no less than three of the levels were ones where you do absolutely nothing and it beats itself. I don't really understand the appeal of those, aside from the level designer feeling proud of himself.

Definitely gonna crawl through this thread and dig up some level codes,

Almost forgot this game updated and that the website was a thing now, oohhh how spiffy.
Obligatory I can now use bouncy bumpers stage.

Melon-tire Mambo

At this stage I've just accepted I'm not much a visual focused guy so here's platforming arse platforming, why melon tires? well their SMB1 colour scheme is watermelon like and they ultimately remind me of DKC tires so of course this had to be a Donkey and Diddy costume stage.

Guess I need to see how this bookmarking business works.

Just got this for Christmas! I immediately tried out the 100 Mario Challenge and uh... man, there were some real stinkers in there. Like truly terrible. And no less than three of the levels were ones where you do absolutely nothing and it beats itself. I don't really understand the appeal of those, aside from the level designer feeling proud of himself.

Definitely gonna crawl through this thread and dig up some level codes,

Go to the courses tab and then bookmarks. Play the recommended stages. Those are mostly all gems. And like a lot of them are gaf stages too.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Here is a level that I have spent 3 nights building. There is 3 1-ups and a hidden fire flower. I'm not sure why but I am pretty proud of this one.

Pipe world peaks
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/E053-0000-0131-2D9F

And being I have never shared before here are my two previous ones.

Skyward explored
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/E950-0000-0035-3A9D

Sky high crossroads (this level has a branching path. Top route is easy bottom is more difficult)
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/DA22-0000-0122-238D

Let me know how you like them if you want. Really love this game!

Nerrel

A level based on skull riding (similar to DKC cart levels in a way) that will ask for your reflexes
4C9C-0000-0128-2526_full.jpg

Bookmark "Now That's A Skull Ride!"
This was an intricate and well designed challenge, but I don't consider it a test of reflexes since it's impossible to clear this on a first try. As the minuscule clear percentage shows, it's a trial and error/memorization challenge. There are a few moments I think you could make things more intuitive on the first playthrough; for instance, right after the first checkpoint you could slant the coins between the two skull tracks to indicate that you have to jump backward to get onto the top track. I also got killed shortly after that by a hammer brother upon leaving the second checkpoint in the secret pipe... I'd remove that hammer bro altogether, since most of the time he seemed to just fall off the platform before I even got near anyway. I also think the second pipe under the thwomp leading to nothing but some bullets and the first pipe was cold blooded.

That said, I did enjoy it. It's the kind of level that's really satisfying because you know you're one of the few players that can clear it.

Itd be really helful if you put a link to the bookmark page.

Sorry. I haven't played in a while and forgot all about the newfangled bookmarks:

Bookmark:

Thanks to everyone who played.

If you're feeling up to it, I'd love some feedback on this course.
I had a good time with this one. It tests your control of Mario and traps you in ways that are fair. The shooter bit at the end is just the kind of thing I was hoping to see after the fire copter was added to the game.

Thud

You mean a Pow block and not a P-switch, right?
You shouldn't be able to get stuck if you use a p-switch there as it turns blocks into coins and expose the exit.
I'll reupload it with this issue fixed.

Yes, I meant a POW block. Don't know how I mixed them up lol.

I also tried your other stage: Thwomp's burning mansion. Welp, I got burned out very quick. :p

CrisKre

Merry Christmas GAF!!!

Made a new level!!

1dd990219ca2fd761853ebb7f613562c_copy.jpg

Recycle Ruins Rhapsody!
Bookmark Link:https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/E59E-0000-0135-EBE9
E59E-0000-0135-EBE9_full.jpg

This is probably my favorite level I made just by the fact that I simply had a BLAST making it. I lately have been playing Shovel Knight a lot and have been very inspired by it, so made an original SMB level with Yacht Club Game's title in mind. Its a waste management Fortress, where most piles of garbage are little puzzles to solve, plus there is a boss and SHMUP section thrown in for good measure. If anyone tries it don't be afraid to explore the trash piles!

I'd love to know what you guys think!!!

Mael

Yes, I meant a POW block. Don't know how I mixed them up lol.

I also tried your other stage: Thwomp's burning mansion. Welp, I got burned out very quick. :p

It's an issue I was already made aware off and I didn't fix it til now because I didn't expect the issue to come back.
Let's call that laziness on my part.
I reuploaded the level but I don't know why supermariobookmark doesn't find it yet
new code : 795E-0000-0136-8AA4
possible page : https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/795E-0000-0136-8AA4
WVW69isq1zoiejZBbQ

Do I need to delete the old version from my list of uploaded level or something?
it's up now
For Thwomp's burning mansion, it's a level I tried to teach my SO how to master spin jumps, I got a little overboard :p
The start is a little hard but there's a secret passage hidden to avoid the thwomp

Regiruler

This is going to be a lazy looking post becausr I'm on mobile.

I scrapped the original idea for this course, and I remade it in a vaguely similar theme. There's a good deal of spinning involved, but if you're really good you may be able to get by without it (I wouldn't recommend it though).

Plant Dominion-2

PD-4 is actually mostly finished but I want to release it last. I need an idea for PD-3 though.

EDIT: FUCK I HAD THE WRONG LINK WHY DID NOBODY FUCKING TELL ME GOD FUCKING DAMN IT

Merry Christmas GAF!!!

Made a new level!!

Recycle Ruins Rhapsody!
Bookmark Link:https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/E59E-0000-0135-EBE9

This is probably my favorite level I made just by the fact that I simply had a BLAST making it. I lately have been playing Shovel Knight a lot and have been very inspired by it, so made an original SMB level with Yacht Club Game's title in mind. Its a waste management Fortress, where most piles of garbage are little puzzles to solve, plus there is a boss and SHMUP section thrown in for good measure. If anyone tries it don't be afraid to explore the trash piles!

This sounds seriously awesome, bookmarked.

Oh wow, the bookmarks make all the difference.

Merry Christmas GAF!!!

Made a new level!!

Recycle Ruins Rhapsody!

Tried it out, it was a fun experience. Fully chaotic as a trash heap should be. I did find a place where the player can get stuck though,
WVW69isv1G4FNJz4H1
. Overall, it was a good bit of fun.

I tried both even though the second one is just the boss battle. The level was a little difficult, but it's so short that it's not much of a problem. I liked the part with the shell helmet. The rest of the level does fall a little flat. It feels like a little bit of filler before the boss battle, which is the best part of the level anyway. It was probably a good idea to make a boss battle only level. If you would like to keep a platforming section, I recommend making it a little easier. You could even tie it together with the boss battle and have kamek be a theme throughout the whole thing.

The boss battle itself was actually kind of genius. I'm not sure if the execution was ideal, but the general concept is there and pretty solid. I don't think that the firebars are really necessary. It's already difficult enough with the blocks turning into enemies and the limited amount of kameks. If you still want more danger, it may be better to use fireballs on a vertical or oval/circular track. You would still have the extra danger but it would probably be slightly more balanced.

Thanks for the feedback! Yeah, the reason that the level before the boss feels like filler is because that's what it was. I had the concept for the boss first and just wanted to get a level uploaded. The thinking I was going with for the firebars was to try to prevent people from camping out on the upper platforms and force them back to the ground level where the craziness was happening.

CrisKre

Oh wow, the bookmarks make all the difference.

Tried it out, it was a fun experience. Fully chaotic as a trash heap should be. I did find a place where the player can get stuck though,
WVW69isv1G4FNJz4H1
. Overall, it was a good bit of fun.
Ahhh. Thanks. I tested it a lot, but due to the nature of the level i was bound to miss a spot or two.

Inkwell

Banned
I think I found out the most difficult part about making these levels. Naming them. It's seriously difficult and in the end I usually name my levels something stupid since I get sick of staring at the text input. Anyway, on to the levels:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kuribo's Shoe: The Hoppening

I took my old level Shoes for Days and made some major changes. I made it easier, more aesthetically pleasing, and tried to give way more hints and direction. There's still a few traps, but I honestly think the level is really easy. It starts with a platforming section before moving onto a puzzle solving section.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Attack on Molehill Bunker

With this I tried to make something a bit more classic while still having a surprise or two. I'm not sure I like how the level actually ended up but it's pretty speedrun friendly.

Merry Christmas GAF!!!

Made a new level!!

Recycle Ruins Rhapsody!

Just played, great, creative work as always. The "junk piles" are anything but junk, I love how they have to be carefully picked apart. Also, three words: Mole shmup battle! haha Speaking of which, I got a big kick out of
the Mega Mole hijacking the Fire Car when you enter the room, haha

CrisKre

Just played, great, creative work as always. The "junk piles" are anything but junk, I love how they have to be carefully picked apart. Also, three words: Mole shmup battle! haha Speaking of which, I got a big kick out of
the Mega Mole hijacking the Fire Car when you enter the room, haha
Thank you Agent! Im glad you liked the little SHMUP section knowing you are a fan of the genre! I was toying around with how to do the boss battle and placed a fire car on top of the junk and to my surprise the mole I had put in the garbage jumped into it. It was trully serendipitous and it brought to life that whole part of the level. That's what i mean when I say this level was fun to build... everything just flowed really nicely.

jb1234

I just played through a level called "Memory of an Airship" which I thought was very clever. There's the airship in its prime (in the air) and then a version of it underwater after it sank and you have to switch between the two (via pipes) to get through the level.

ID: 1C35-0000-0113-4623

CrisKre

This was an intricate and well designed challenge, but I don't consider it a test of reflexes since it's impossible to clear this on a first try. As the minuscule clear percentage shows, it's a trial and error/memorization challenge. There are a few moments I think you could make things more intuitive on the first playthrough; for instance, right after the first checkpoint you could slant the coins between the two skull tracks to indicate that you have to jump backward to get onto the top track. I also got killed shortly after that by a hammer brother upon leaving the second checkpoint in the secret pipe... I'd remove that hammer bro altogether, since most of the time he seemed to just fall off the platform before I even got near anyway. I also think the second pipe under the thwomp leading to nothing but some bullets and the first pipe was cold blooded.

That said, I did enjoy it. It's the kind of level that's really satisfying because you know you're one of the few players that can clear it.

Sorry. I haven't played in a while and forgot all about the newfangled bookmarks:

Bookmark:

Thanks to everyone who played.

I had a good time with this one. It tests your control of Mario and traps you in ways that are fair. The shooter bit at the end is just the kind of thing I was hoping to see after the fire copter was added to the game.

Tried your level! Holy fast and furious! Its a stage that catches you off guard but gets really fun once you adjust to it. Starred.

Inkwell

Banned
Merry Christmas GAF!!!

Made a new level!!

Recycle Ruins Rhapsody!

Very unique and interesting. I like how it's puzzle-esque trying to navigate the garbage piles. It's an interesting use of assets that I would never think of doing.

This is a solid level with a fun theme. Something nice is that the level is at a decent difficulty level, but all the chomps make the level seem more dangerous. My only criticism is that the ending was a little underwhelming compared to everything else. The lakitus don't pose much of a threat if you just keep moving. You could just keep the level as is and it would probably be fine though.

Solid first level. It's a little intense but short. I'm interested in seeing what you make next.

Reposting because the original post was an incomprehensible mess.

3FC8-0000-0134-CC76.jpg

Plant Dominion-2
3FC8-0000-0134-CC76

I would really like some feedback. I have gotten literally silence from you guys so far...

I played both PD1 and PD2. I like the theme you went with and both levels are good. That being said I had some issues with both.

PD1 was solid, but the puzzle-ish alternate route could be cheesed. If you bounce off the koopa you can get on top of the pipe and make it to the door. I actually did this first and was confused when I went into the right-most top pipe.

PD2 has good ideas but I found it problematic at some points. I liked the 2 moving vines. A lot of levels use the single one but this adds a new twist. However, I didn't like that it goes all the way to the top of the level and you're doing blind jumps. It may be best to shorten that section a bit to allow more space on top. Next, I thought the underwater checkpoint was strange. I would have preferred a regular one, but I was wondering if it had something to do with piranha plant timing. Maybe I missed an invisible block, but a mushroom in the water area would have been nice. Finally, although I really like the spin jump section at the end, it seems very out of place. I was actually stuck there for a while because I didn't think of spin jumping. I thought I had to use that spring but couldn't figure out how to get it out of the hole. My suggestion would be to add another spin jump just before that. Make it super obvious and decently easy, but necessary. Maybe right after the checkpoint have the player need to spin jump off the very first plant to get over an obstacle.

So since my Junior Airship Showdown level was deleted by Nintendo I decided to upload an improved version. I removed the checkpoint mechanism since it was unnecessary and replaced it with a 3rd phase for the Bowser Jr. chase sequence. There's also a nice secret at the end.

Fpb7AOuh.jpg

213E-0000-012D-3040

Here's a video of the old version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVRkWrNQC8k

I also updated Color Coded Caverns and High and Dry Dock with official checkpoints.

Here is my Mario Maker profile page:

Holy shit. The stage in the video was insane. I don't know why but it reminded me of the Sonic 3 Endboss fight. I will definitely check out your stages!

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου

Regiruler

Very unique and interesting. I like how it's puzzle-esque trying to navigate the garbage piles. It's an interesting use of assets that I would never think of doing.

This is a solid level with a fun theme. Something nice is that the level is at a decent difficulty level, but all the chomps make the level seem more dangerous. My only criticism is that the ending was a little underwhelming compared to everything else. The lakitus don't pose much of a threat if you just keep moving. You could just keep the level as is and it would probably be fine though.

Solid first level. It's a little intense but short. I'm interested in seeing what you make next.

I played both PD1 and PD2. I like the theme you went with and both levels are good. That being said I had some issues with both.

PD1 was solid, but the puzzle-ish alternate route could be cheesed. If you bounce off the koopa you can get on top of the pipe and make it to the door. I actually did this first and was confused when I went into the right-most top pipe.

PD2 has good ideas but I found it problematic at some points. I liked the 2 moving vines. A lot of levels use the single one but this adds a new twist. However, I didn't like that it goes all the way to the top of the level and you're doing blind jumps. It may be best to shorten that section a bit to allow more space on top. Next, I thought the underwater checkpoint was strange. I would have preferred a regular one, but I was wondering if it had something to do with piranha plant timing. Maybe I missed an invisible block, but a mushroom in the water area would have been nice. Finally, although I really like the spin jump section at the end, it seems very out of place. I was actually stuck there for a while because I didn't think of spin jumping. I thought I had to use that spring but couldn't figure out how to get it out of the hole. My suggestion would be to add another spin jump just before that. Make it super obvious and decently easy, but necessary. Maybe right after the checkpoint have the player need to spin jump off the very first plant to get over an obstacle.

For the spin jump portion, did you just run jump past the first one at the start of the level? I really need to fix that. Regardless, thank you very much for the feedback.

EDIT: The spring was for escaping that pit because there's a secret in that section. It's so out of the way that I didn't think anyone would think it required for the puzzle. Underwater flag is because I'm fairly sure you can't have more than one flag per subsection, and the underwater choice of theme was just a stylistic hangover that I kept from an earlier version of the level.

Inkwell

Banned
For the spin jump portion, did you just run jump past the first one at the start of the level? I really need to fix that. Regardless, thank you very much for the feedback.

EDIT: The spring was for escaping that pit because there's a secret in that section. It's so out of the way that I didn't think anyone would think it required for the puzzle. Underwater flag is because I'm fairly sure you can't have more than one flag per subsection, and the underwater choice of theme was just a stylistic hangover that I kept from an earlier version of the level.
Yes I did. It's pretty easy to clear with a regular jump.

RagnarokX

Bookmark

It's a shame that taking damage is more to your favor than avoiding the obstacles. It's cool that you put in multiple paths.

Almost forgot this game updated and that the website was a thing now, oohhh how spiffy.
Obligatory I can now use bouncy bumpers stage.

Melon-tire Mambo

At this stage I've just accepted I'm not much a visual focused guy so here's platforming arse platforming, why melon tires? well their SMB1 colour scheme is watermelon like and they ultimately remind me of DKC tires so of course this had to be a Donkey and Diddy costume stage.

Guess I need to see how this bookmarking business works.
Good stage. The new bumpers are definitely reminiscent of the DKC tires, though they look more like green life savers. Maybe a DKC boat-themed course is in the future.
Merry Christmas GAF!!!

Made a new level!!

Recycle Ruins Rhapsody!

This level is great. Love the touches like having junk falling from chutes. Nice secrets, too.

It's a shame there are places you can get stuck. Sometimes I wish there was a suicide option, but then I think of how often I see videos of players with short attention spans who reset when they think they hit an impasse when all they had to do was wait a few seconds or explore a little more.

Solid first effort. Liked the hidden secret. World Record Get!

Holy shit. The stage in the video was insane. I don't know why but it reminded me of the Sonic 3 Endboss fight. I will definitely check out your stages!

Thanks. The Sonic games were my favorites growing up, so they certainly influenced me.

This phase:
AeA2ty2l.jpg

was partly inspired by these:
ZQOpr4Z.png
cqSMi0n.png

Though NSMBU had a stage where Bowser Jr fights you in his clown car above a breakable floor:
ZVjLXy6l.jpg

This phase:
Fpb7AOul.jpg

obviously took inspiration from this:
W2QpQRG.gif

And I think the initial concept I had for the level was that I wanted to have Bowser Jr or some other enemy in a stationary clown car that attacked you, which ended up being this:
O2vgaZQl.jpg

which took inspiration from this:
Mdjn7j0.png

I also wanted the boss to be defeated by his own attacks causing damage to the airship and making it crash...
4P9BWNj.png

CrisKre

This level is great. Love the touches like having junk falling from chutes. Nice secrets, too.

It's a shame there are places you can get stuck. Sometimes I wish there was a suicide option, but then I think of how often I see videos of players with short attention spans who reset when they think they hit an impasse when all they had to do was wait a few seconds or explore a little more.

Thanks RagnarokX! Btw, as I commented on miiverse, loved the changes to your level. You engineered it impeccably.

Which reminds me, you should try this level:

https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/E256-0000-00E8-5180

I think you would really enjoy it.

Vecks

I'm not planning on making any more levels, but I wanted to try out the "maker" for a bit and these were the results:

This is my first level: https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/36D7-0000-011C-11EC Just wanted to test out the tools for this one. A pretty simple, straightforward platformer.

And for my second level: https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/55DF-0000-0127-F4F2 I tried to be a little more creative by trying to force a progression of power ups. There are different paths to choose from and power-ups will keep spawning as long as you unlock them, so it's pretty forgiving. The idea was to give Mario different job classes, like in an RPG. Like, if you go the hard route of "fire" by utilizing bombs, you'll get the fire flower later, and finally you get the fire clown car to blow past the end. I don't think it worked out as well as I had hoped.

Junahu

Ever since the first gaf contest, I've been slowly building up a whole campaign of ordinary levels using the Mario World style. I didn't want to post until I was all the way done (or at least had 5 stages in the 4 worlds I have now), but I'm hitting creative roadblocks everywhere, and I'm interested in entering the next contest, so it'll be a while before I get back into this project.
There's so much information available on building an effective first stage, but virtually nothing on how to create mid-game stages, or how to make stages that flow together in a way that develops the player's skills.

Koopa Plateau [1,2,3,4,secret]
Galoomba Bluff [1,2,3,4] [an earlier build of 3]
Wiggler Cove[1,2,3,4]
spinetop Ridge [1,2,3,4]
I'm not happy at all with Galoomba Bluff 3, Wiggler Cove 2, and Spinetop Ridge 2. My personal favourites are Koopa Plateau 3, Galoomba Bluff 1 and Wiggler Cove 4

The main reason I'm posting is to ask if anyone knows of any similarly "normal" campaigns of levels on Mario Maker. I want to see how other people tackle level progression.

lt519

Heh my 6 year old nephew got this for Christmas, so I sent him an easy level to get going. Then sends me a smug selfie beating the level in three minutes. The fuck lol, time to break out the big guns. Would post the picture but not my kid..

Top Bottom