• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

pringles

Your sister's level is pretty decent. It's definitely basic, but there's a lot of platforming without being overly difficult. It's hard to give any advice since the level is a little bare-bones. This isn't necessarily bad since it shows restraint, and it's not the mess that a lot of other people's levels are when they try to use everything. Visually it could be improved a little bit, and maybe adding a little more variety with enemies and obstacles (but not too much).
Thanks for the feedback! :)

Nerrel

Here's a new update for my level.

- New checkpoint placement (resulting in a less frustrating level)
- Added some arrows so the player gets the way to go quickly
- Hammer brother doesn't fall on our heads anymore
- New power-up! (might save a fall!)

Thanks for listening to the feedback. I'll give it a replay in my next session.

joelseph

Got the game for Xmas and been having a blast unlocking things. Is the idea to just use all the items each delivery to speed things up? Feels kind of bad having to wait around for all this content to unlock. When do I get warp pipes?!

I have been without internet service for the past few days so I can't check on my uploads but how do I get people to play my courses beyond uploading them and hoping someone plays it on the New list? Is there anything I can do to encourage people to star my designs beyond being awesome?

AdanVC

I just went back to creating some levels and here's one I did during the weekend

The Great Escape
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/662A-0000-0137-41FA

662A-0000-0137-41FA_full.jpg

I just saw that movie recently and I tried to make a level like if Mario was escaping from a prison while saving Yoshi on the journey too!

Difficulty: Medium.

So I picked up a Wii U around Black Friday and only started spending quality time with Mario Maker over the last few weeks. I was initially not super into it but than something happened and it all started to click.

A little back story, I have essentially no history with Mario. I played it a bit here and there 12+ years ago and obviously have come to recognize many of the pieces over the years through osmosis. So this first level was basically me learning both how to make a level with the tools and also how to play Mario. I have no real idea yet what makes a Mario level great, but I ended up really having fun making and playing my level. I wanted to make something that had challenging jumps and had a few alternate, secret things that encouraged exploration. It ended up being a little harder than perhaps I'd initially anticipated. I spent 4 hours over the last 3 days trying to clear the thing (mainly because I am really not good at Mario yet) and I finally cleared it last night and it was a beautiful, hugely memorable moment.

A few friends have said they will be getting Wii U's soon so I look forward to being able to bounce levels off them and have them send levels to me. The game is pretty brilliant.

Anyways, here is my first level. I'd love to hear any comments on it.

In the beginning there was...

Bookmark:https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/617B-0000-014B-9179

617B-0000-014B-9179_full.jpg

Nerrel

Bookmark this, everyone. It's a great level that deserves some stars. The visual design and layout both channel classic 8-bit games, and oddly enough it suited the new NES airship music better than a real airship level. It overloads you with detail, but forces you to pay attention to all of it; it's not just there for looks. Good work.

Melon-tire Mambo

I liked this level. There are a few tricky jumps that I struggled with, but it reminded me of platforming in the old 8-bit days where every pixel of positioning counted. Hearing the awesome DKC death sounds softened the blow when I failed.

Here are my two Day 2 courses. Just like the first, they're both pretty short. Next one will have multiple days of effort and content, I promise!

Rising Dragon

358A-0000-013F-DFCA.jpg

I really liked this level, but as was pointed out above, it's way too short. It really does feel like it could have been a cut castle from Mario 3, both in terms of the visuals and general quality, but it's over just as I'm really getting into it. At the very least, you should put a Bowser fight after the last pipe instead of leading to the item box. Everything you have now is perfect, I just want more of it.

Here's a new update for my level.

I think it's less frustrating now without giving up any of the actual challenge. My only lingering complaint is that the last two skull tracks are hard to syncronize; I always end up jumping onto the top one too early and getting left behind. I found the best way to do it was to jump onto the top skull track, then not press anything and let it scoot me into the wall until I fell below and back onto the first as it passed below. I assume this is how you meant for it to work, but it took me a lot of tries to get it.

I wonder if it's possible to put an obstacle on the track at a precise point so that the player has to jump off of the first track and onto the second one at just the right moment.

CrisKre

Bookmark this, everyone. It's a great level that deserves some stars. The visual design and layout both channel classic 8-bit games, and oddly enough it suited the new NES airship music better than a real airship level. It overloads you with detail, but forces you to pay attention to all of it; it's not just there for looks. Good work.
Thank you so much for the comment Nerrel!

Got the game for Xmas and been having a blast unlocking things. Is the idea to just use all the items each delivery to speed things up? Feels kind of bad having to wait around for all this content to unlock. When do I get warp pipes?!

Just move your system clock ahead a total of 9 days (move it ahead one day, go back into the editor, repeat) you will gradually unlock all the content the same day without having to wait for it.

So some of the levels I have beaten in the past no longer show the flag at the top left corner of the level indicating that I beat it. What gives? Also, last night I played and no comments were showing. I pressed pause and touched the tv icon to turn on comments and toggled with that for a bit and got nothing. Are miiverse in game comments shut down right now?

Stopdoor

My first uploaded level: Underzone

180A-0000-014B-6611.jpg

180A-0000-014B-6611_full.jpg

A mix between being an atmospheric cave level with some casual enemies, but then it was a bit of a victim of no-planning, so it also houses 2-3 boss battles that are pretty frantic. Has lots of power-ups and a checkpoint though. I think it turned out pretty well other than that weird pacing.

I have been without internet service for the past few days so I can't check on my uploads but how do I get people to play my courses beyond uploading them and hoping someone plays it on the New list? Is there anything I can do to encourage people to star my designs beyond being awesome?

Waiting for items sucks a bit yeah, generally you use the new items, wait about 5 minutes/use the editor, then spam like 500 blocks when it says "items will be delivered tomorrow" to get them right away. Rinse and repeat. Or you can edit your systems clock.

They just launched the new website everyone can link their levels from, 'Super Mario Maker Bookmark', so you can use that as a quick link to promote your level (also includes the code in the URL if people want to share it old-school). It's a bit slow to update now it seems though, Christmas rush.

Ha, I knew when I was making Dragon Rising. that it was way too short, but the amount of blocks in it started to run out and I couldn't add much more.

Neiteio

Just realized I haven't shared in this thread!

For my courses, I generally focus on game feel and actual platforming. I pick several mechanics and I try to fully explore them. I aim to make them challenging but fair, telegraphing everything ahead of time.

Here is the bookmark for Concrete Peak. For this course you need to know two skills: spin-jumping across Thwomps, and holding the R button to spin-jump higher. You won't get past the vestibule without mastering the former, and you won't get past the end without mastering the latter. And remember: Sometimes you'll need to bait a Thwomp down under a one-way door in order to use it as a platform!

Also, there are multiple checkpoints, so hang in there.

7586-0000-00D6-F80E.jpg

The name is a reference to the haunted house movie "Crimson Peak." Will you survive the moving tombstones of Concrete Peak, or will you join the bones interred in the walls and floor? *lightning flash, spooky laughter*

The ID is 7586-0000-00D6-F80E.

Please share your feedback. Thanks, and I hope you enjoy.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Got the game for Christmas and finally got to play with it a bit. I made a level. It relies mainly on precision jumping. If anyone wants to give it a shot...

"The Perilous pit of Peril"
ID: F9D1-0000-0150-38D9

Stupid name but I was mainly just playing around seeing what i can do. I can't use all the tools yet because they're locked. I thought they changed it so you only had to play 5 minutes at a time or something? But it says I won't get more features until tomorrow. ��

Edit: Whats up with that bookmark site? It says I haven't played yet. And I can't link to my course as a bookmark. What's going on?

Stopdoor

Got the game for Christmas and finally got to play with it a bit. I made a level. It relies mainly on precision jumping. If anyone wants to give it a shot...

"The Perilous pit of Peril"
ID: F9D1-0000-0150-38D9

Stupid name but I was mainly just playing around seeing what i can do. I can't use all the tools yet because they're locked. I thought they changed it so you only had to play 5 minutes at a time or something? But it says I won't get more features until tomorrow. ��

Edit: Whats up with that bookmark site? It says I haven't played yet. And I can't link to my course as a bookmark. What's going on?

Christmas rush probably, it's been really slow to update for everyone.

Neiteio

Here's the bookmark for another level: MARIO GEAR SOLID V.

As the name suggests, it's Metal Gear Solid V through the lens of Mario Maker, but there are no spoilers. It's a super-long course, but there are checkpoints. Also, be sure to play with Miiverse comments on — Kaz and Ocelot will provide mission support!

4E1D-0000-00D6-E639.jpg

This is very different from my other courses in that I deliberately restrict your movement with tight spaces and intricate pathways. I feel it's satisfying to study the maze and then weave your way in and out of harm's way, speeding up and slowing down. You need to be decisive!

The premise is you're infiltrating Skull Face's lair by sneaking through the ductwork, popping in and out of vents to take out enemies from above and below. However, there are laser defense systems in the ductwork (read: fire bars and lava bubbles) so you'll have to be careful! Also be mindful of where you hide the bodies (read: koopa shells) so they don't come bouncing back in close quarters!

There are five prisoners (read: 1-Ups) you can rescue if you want to 100% it. There is also a puzzling mini-boss halfway through, but I hopefully provide enough hints through the environment and codec calls.

4E1D-0000-00D6-E639_full.jpg

The ID is 4E1D-0000-00D6-E639.

in b4 "better story than MGSV"

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Okay so I still have not figured this out: how do I make alternate music play for the whole stage and not just for a few seconds after you trigger the sound effect?

Looks like my bookmark finally went live so here it is.

Pesca 8-4: The Final Battle

It's been a long, hard road trying to make a traditional Super Mario Bros. style game myself, but I finally did it. I'm really embarrassed by the first four levels I made and there might be a few clunkers spread through these 32 courses, but I'm pretty proud of what I accomplished in the end.

Ranger X

I think it's less frustrating now without giving up any of the actual challenge. My only lingering complaint is that the last two skull tracks are hard to syncronize; I always end up jumping onto the top one too early and getting left behind. I found the best way to do it was to jump onto the top skull track, then not press anything and let it scoot me into the wall until I fell below and back onto the first as it passed below. I assume this is how you meant for it to work, but it took me a lot of tries to get it.

I wonder if it's possible to put an obstacle on the track at a precise point so that the player has to jump off of the first track and onto the second one at just the right moment.

Its indeed what is intended and gives you the perfect timing for the last skull ride.
I doubt I will rework it though. The level is pretty nice right now, not sure it necessary to further change it. Its cool you like it and played it again though. If I create fun for only ONE gamer out there, it makes me feel that all hours that went into making the level were worth it. :)

theluma

Okay so I still have not figured this out: how do I make alternate music play for the whole stage and not just for a few seconds after you trigger the sound effect?

As above, attach to mario - And if you want just a section to play it then basically just fill the section with the sound effect so mario is hitting it every couple of secs.

So after having a good laugh at how terrible Patrick Klepek is at it, I decided to give the first DanR Giant Bomb level a go.

I've managed to get down to 35 seconds after a few goes, but the WR is 25 seconds. I can see 30 seconds being just about possible withluck (magikoopa wiping away the right block first time), but not 25. Is there another trick I'm missing?

TheMoon

So after having a good laugh at how terrible Patrick Klepek is at it, I decided to give the first DanR Giant Bomb level a go.

I've managed to get down to 35 seconds after a few goes, but the WR is 25 seconds. I can see 30 seconds being just about possible withluck (magikoopa wiping away the right block first time), but not 25. Is there another trick I'm missing?

got a link?

Decided to crank out another one. In this one, an adventurous Mario decides to go cave diving in a supposedly dead volcano.

Extinct(?) Volcano Spelunking
D4F5-0000-0152-3178.jpg

Something neat here is that I got to reuse a cut idea from Necromancer's Temple in a far different way than originally intended. In fact, it was the inspiration for this new stage!

In Necromancer's Temple, I had intended for players to encounter a "midboss" in the form of
a Lakitu throwing Podoboos. The idea would be that he was an exiled/failed wizard from the temple (given that both Lakitus and Magikoopas wear glasses). The problem was, the elevation and duration for that portion of the stage made it either too easy to kill him and take his cloud, or too annoying to fight and get hit by a stray fireball. There was probably an optimum height, but I never found it exactly. At one point I thought about leaving him offscreen and letting the fireballs fall from seemingly nowhere, as if the wizards above in the second half were trying to keep you away. Again, the problem was that the climbing aspect of that portion of the level made it too easy for a fireball to be undodgeable if you were unlucky, so I scrapped it and vowed to reuse the idea later.

cloudyboy

Neo Member
After months of trying I actually managed to complete an expert 100 level challenge, very rewarding, it feel so good.

on a side note anyone know what happened in this new uptade (1.31)?

Crazyorloco

Just got this game. I absolutely love this game and how it introduces new items little by little. So far it's my most played Wii U title.

Neiteio

Here's the bookmark for The Great Goomba Trench.

It's an attempt to make an underwater level that is fun. Hopefully I succeeded. People seem to enjoy it, but feedback is appreciated. It was made before I had the full toolkit, but I finessed the heck out of each passageway for what I hope is optimal flow. It's only moderate difficulty, with a 10% completion rate.

The idea is you're exploring a shipwreck near a geothermal vent, one where shrimp-like Goomba gather in derelict cannons. I love the way the Goombas swim underwater, so I made a course about them.

It's built on the theory that narrowly dodging danger is fun. If you follow the coins and general flow of the level, you'll safely avoid the danger nipping at your heels. I think it's satisfying to hear the POOMF! POOMF! POOMF! of cannons firing Goombas and slipping past them all, or swimming over and under firebars and lava bubbles.

Along with Concrete Peak, I often replay this one for fun. :-D

The ID is 5BD7-0000-00C1-01C2

5BD7-0000-00C1-01C2_full.jpg

Made a pretty short and easy level this morning primarily out of curiosity to see what the skill level is like of the general MM community (I get the sense it's not a high skill level) and also because my first level was way harder than I ever thought it would be.

Yoshi's Plight

CC30-0000-0155-5697_full.jpg

Poor Yoshi.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior

Inkwell

Banned
They need to figure out a better way to curate courses for the 100 mario runs. I don't like playing on expert since you get some levels that are just way too hard, but on normal nearly every level is garbage. I'd like to unlock more costumes, but I think I'll stick to the recommended courses and those posted by GAF members.

Junahu

Looks like my bookmark finally went live so here it is.

Pesca 8-4: The Final Battle

It's been a long, hard road trying to make a traditional Super Mario Bros. style game myself, but I finally did it. I'm really embarrassed by the first four levels I made and there might be a few clunkers spread through these 32 courses, but I'm pretty proud of what I accomplished in the end.
Brilliant. I bookmarked the whole thing, and I'll play through it when I find a convenient time to sit down to a game's worth of levels.

Downhome

My wife bought this for me for Christmas and it is so far beyond what I ever expected it to be. When I first heard of this game, I thought "gimmick". It has ended up being one of my all time favorite gaming experiences, and has the ability to change this type of thing forever. Giving these tools to the players, and allowing them to create and upload for the entire world, is a complete and total game changer.

I know this is nothing new, nothing that hasn't been said over and over in this thread I'm sure, but still. Wow.

Bladelaw

I have a request: I spent a fair amount of time making a couple levels that haven't seen many players.

The first is a level with no enemies, just hazards, pits, and platforms. It has 0 clears I think it's pretty fair but obviously I made it so who knows. I'm real interested on feedback for this one.

Pure Platforms No Enemies
4D0A-0000-011F-EC3D.jpg

And the other I posted here but my timing may have been off. It's a Shoot 'Em Up styled level that hopefully teaches you everything you need to know about the shooting Clown Car.

Charge! Shoot the Core!
B3D1-0000-0127-3BE7.jpg

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Yesterday, after a very long time, I made a new level.

The First Second Of Eternity
V7qVn0A.png

It's based on a recent episode of Doctor Who, "Heaven Sent" from series 9 (2015), whose basic concept seemed quite gamey to me. So, if you haven't watched it, beware: this level contains significant spoilers for the episode.

I've also made a poster for an older level of mine, which never had one.

Caducity
l8txD4h.png

...you know what it's about. This level is extremely short, but features an alternate path with three 1up mushrooms to find.

SMM Profile
Previous levels

Top Bottom