• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LittleBigPlanet Official Thread: Live in your world, play in ours.

Ranger X

Ok. I made some changes.

- I made the bridge more apparent by adding cams and sounds. This should offset some confusion as to know where to go once you get a certain power up.

- I got rid of that switch that moves a part of the pillar in the palace. This should again offset some confusion.

Oneself

Great constructive feedback Schwowsers.. definitely RangerX, this is your best level.. art & gameplay wise.

I'll try the "new and improved" version tonight.:D

Awaiting another planet!! =)

Moobabe

Me and my friend made our first level a couple of nights ago. It's not very long and it's been a long time coming. It's under my PSN ID which should be on my profile and I would really appreciate any feedback.

It's more of an experiment into certain things and we learned a lot doing it but I was wondering if anyone had any advice for us. Thanks!

Thrakier

Ranger X said:
I think the base of the game, I mean, sackboy is simple but it's not broken or anything. Also, the more something is complex doesn't mean its necessarily better.
The levels I play sure aren't sight seeing. I didn't really play another platformer this gen with this much gameplay. There's ALOT of fantastic levels with awesome gameplay.
I just think it's the way you perceive the game that makes you not like it. Most characters or base gameplay in most games is a simple concept and then it's the level design that creates gameplay. I could think Mario is shit because after all he's basically jumping, running and stomping things. Despise Mario being a simple character with simple abilities, the games are complex and attractive in level designs and it ends up in GREAT gameplay.

It's not broken, but it's not very good either. That's one of the main problems for me, it just doesn't feel right. I mean we read a lot about floaty controls etc., to me that's true, what's even more annoying is the changing between the floors that doesn't work very well imo. So it's not broken, but where are a lot of minor annoyances when I play it which are mainly related to the mechanics.

Mario however despite being simple absolutely nails those mechanics...that's the difference, I guess. Don't get me wrong, I like a lot about this game, was a big fan in the first days, in the beta, I even made levels and got the create trophy and put some effort in it. But when I fire it up now I'm bored after a few minutes just because the gameplay isn't fun anymore, like, no fun at all. And that's a very sad thing because the game, with better and more complex mechanics, could be the GTFO for me.

anddo0

Jaeyden said:
Check out Submarine Sabotage by Wexfordian, Jaeyden and Fullgorr

It's published under Wexfordian. We made it in beta and it turned out pretty sharp. It's up on community pages right now.

one of the best levels I've played in a long time:D

Ranger X

Cool things happen in games like LBP.

But sometimes there's some REALLY cool things that can happen. My last level "Space Sack's Adventure: The Blue Planet", a LBPer like it so much that he made a little "trailer" of it. Now that's what I am talking about! :)

Click here for the vid!

I guess this is old news, since they announced them all one at a time over the past few weeks (I think) but here it is all in one place:

4231621508_9225d09da8_o.jpg

2009 "Sackie Awards"

LittleBigPlanet: Sack It to Me – The 09 Sackies minus one more award (and we need your VOTE!!!)

The past few weeks, Media Molecule has been awarding some of the best creations and talents within the LittleBigPlanet universe over the past year (and more). It started with the “Best Visuals and use of Special Effects in a level”, but now as we near the end, we wanted to recap an recognize the winners. Check out the winners below and click on over to LittleBigPlanet.com to see all the nominees and details – then go online and play, experience these amazing creations yourselves. Oh – and there’s one more award that requires voting from you! The coveted Level of the Year award!!!

Best Visuals and use of Special Effects in a level – Post–Apocalyptic by Anpostteller

Best LittleBigPlanet Machinima Video – LittleBigRevenge By SeaKittenCollective

The Ever-Watching-Eye Award – Stevenl
Best Innovative Creation – Little Big Calculator by Upsilandre

Best use of Audio in a Level – Roll Over Beethoven by Smearedink

Best Fan Project of the Year – LittleBigPlanet Central’s Logic Pack

Best use of Story in a Level – The Good, the Bad and the Sackboy series by Wexfordian

Outstanding Achievement – Little Big Contra by Jaeyden, Leonidas2123, SaitoHalifax, NinjaMicWZ, El_Beefo, Gevurah22, and TeknomanEX.

Best Gameplay in a Level – Save, Die, Reload by Carlsen_Jeppe

Creator(s) of the Year – We couldn’t pick one, so we picked them all!!! Congrats to Wexfordian, Fullgorr, jump_button, Candyk, Jackofcourse, Jaeyden
AND FINALLY…….its your turn to vote…
Level of the Year – VOTE NOW!!!

"Outstanding Achievement" to Little Big Contra still blows my mind. My, how times have changed, remember when they would've banned that?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Good idea those awards. At least half those levels I haven't played so I'd better hop to it...

edit - a shame if they're not highlighting them in-game somehow. They need a MM's picks planet or something and get those community peeps they hired to perhaps at least try and curate the best stuff in one place. Then again, maybe they don't want to so strongly direct 'traffic' themselves...but if not, give US the tools to do it pls! (i.e. level linking etc.)

anddo0 said:
one of the best levels I've played in a long time:D

While very detailed and nicely done, it didn't have what's needed to make an outstanding level in MY opinion.

For instance, there's an area where you travel up vertically and have to pull switches. From there, I had no idea that there was a yellow button switch I needed to bump with my head because A) that didn't make sense nor did it fit in with the level; and B) since it matched the color of the platform it was on it was hard to see. Then right after that, I randomly had to grab a platform (what?) to trigger an explosion or something so I could continue.

At least have a bubble that says "Hit that object with your head and maybe the water will rise" or "Grab the floor, that should lead to an explosion which will allow you to escape". But then again... that sounds silly and points out how odd it really is to do such things lol.

That's what I mean when i say I hate the overly detailed user levels. Mm gets it right when it comes to LBP charm and gameplay.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Was Post-Apocalyptic well known before the sackies?

Quite impressive...lots of nice spot effects. Satisfying explosions,
it's own little building collapse scene :p
. Quite densely designed layers. Very well done!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So is there any water levels that don't suck ass?

Because I need to do the 20 played achievement and most of the levels are blech and turn me off. :/

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I played Post Apocalyptic, and from there used Find More to find Magic Temple, Lost in Pacific 2 and Lost in Pacific 3, and finally Titanic: Ship of Dreams.

The latter 3 use water. LiP3 is quite good. I would recommend that (and #2 for that matter).

Titanic is interesting. It's not really a level like many others. It's like a big non-linear replica of Titanic with most of the pertinent areas, with various triggered events around the place, leading up to the ...err... inevitable..

It's quite impressive in the same way it's impressive seeing someone build a big lego thing. It's not some revelatory gameplay showcase, but it's just neat, and creative, and kind of great seeing how much effort went into it. And the capsizing of the ship etc. is done quite well...definitely worth a look.

Side note: I'd like to revise things I mentioned lately about 'content discovery' here and in other threads. Content discovery is actually pretty much as good as it gets now I think. It is very easy to just find great stuff using the search filters and then using find more etc. I skipped through these levels without much deliberation using those browsing tools and they were all good or great. I could have spent the night playing levels if I wanted this way and I'm pretty confident it would be rare to come across a stinker. Casting a more academic eye on how that works too, and you see some clever choices in how they structured things, and how easy it is to go back or forth through filters. Like you can easily go on a 'detour' to play a specific creator's levels, and then go back through your previous filters you were using. It's easy to branch off and come back, branch off again based on some other level and come back etc. 'Find more' actually seems to work well too. Post Apocalyptic is a pretty level, and the results find more brought back for it were all pretty levels with high ratings. And you can go through seemingly infinite levels of 'find more' and still always be able to go back to a prior one from another level...so you never feel like if you use find more with another level that you'll miss the opportunity to browse or play results returned by your current one.

So content discovery is not a problem at all. Being more specific now, where I see room for improvement is in promotion tools for new levels and in subscribing to content from specific creators, and having more content 'pushed' to you through some kind of feed rather than you explicitly seeking it out. As well as tools for finding content discussed and promoted outside LBP (i.e. that level linking tool that's in the pipe). But just finding random great content to play? It's easy peasy now.

Teknoman

Ranger X said:
Cool things happen in games like LBP.

But sometimes there's some REALLY cool things that can happen. My last level "Space Sack's Adventure: The Blue Planet", a LBPer like it so much that he made a little "trailer" of it. Now that's what I am talking about! :)

Click here for the vid!

I like how the background trees and lights work. Still trying to get my backgrounds just right.

Goldrusher

gofreak said:
So content discovery is not a problem at all. Being more specific now, where I see room for improvement is in promotion tools for new levels and in subscribing to content from specific creators, and having more content 'pushed' to you through some kind of feed rather than you explicitly seeking it out. As well as tools for finding content discussed and promoted outside LBP (i.e. that level linking tool that's in the pipe). But just finding random great content to play? It's easy peasy now.
Each month, 10 levels, called "Sackboy's Favorites". Play them all, earn a silver trophy.

Ranger X

TheSeks said:
So is there any water levels that don't suck ass?

Because I need to do the 20 played achievement and most of the levels are blech and turn me off. :/

Try my "Sack's Adventures: The Blue Planet". There's water in there and it doesn't suck so it makes your trophy hunting more worth it. ;)

(PSN: RangerZero)

Question: did I imagine this or wasn't there a Game of the Year Edition of LittleBigPlanet that included additional bonus content? Looked around in local stores recently and I only found the vanilla version everywhere, much to my surprise.

Ranger X

You're not imagining things. There is a LittleBigPLanet GOTY edition that came out last September (or was it August?).

I comes with the MGS pack in it + 18 exclusive user levels.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Wow... Save, Die, Reload is indeed deserving of that award. Very clever. The joy of movable save points :p

BUT...the creator really needs to change the material used for some of the earlier save points. He made some early ones out of cork which sackboy CANNOT GRAB. Which can lead to a fair bit of frustration as you try to egg along a savepoint into position. Worse still, with those savepoints he even invites you to use R1 to move them...but you can't cos you can't grab them.

Otherwise though...great, great level. No visual pretension, no score collection...just great novel mechanics. Interestingly/strangely it appears to be the only/first level the creator published. Wonder if he'll do more.

Oni Jazar

I've been going through the Level of the Year contenders and so far I've got to say I love Subterranean Setbacks. Great level design and challenges. I got stuck in the generator room. I think I know how to get out but I had to leave and turn off the system.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Oni Jazar said:
I've been going through the Level of the Year contenders and so far I've got to say I love Subterranean Setbacks.

Playing now...love it.

Plays great, lots of neat visual placement of things that tease you to go off the main track... a small thing, but however he set the lighting/contrast, it gives the visual a great 'pop'. Texturing, sackboy etc. look great in this level.

ibu

Gamecocks625 said:
Are any of you guys playing the PSP version? I'm interested but am curious if there is a decent size community creating new levels.

I am playing the PSP version though I have been sinking more time into GT:Mobile... The game is lovely and I have only downloaded one or two levels, there seems to be a few but when I last checked (a week or two ago) there weren't loads.

MrPliskin

Banned
The biggest problem with the PSP version is the create limitations, sort of. Though, I largely prefer the platforming in the PSP version, which is so freaking good by comparison to it's bigger brother.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Right, just finished Subterranean Setbacks.

My last post on it was just nearly an hour ago. And I was about a third of the way through then.

It didn't have my undivided attention in all this time, admittedly, but still...epic level.

Fiendish in places. But very satisfying too.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Wow @ Rain Factory Part One (a jump_button level)

So so gorgeous. So much depth to the backgrounds, the sunsetty lighting and how it plays on the cotton textures and the shadowing and how that plays on background layers etc. etc. It's like how I imagined platforming games might one day look when I was playing 16-bit platformers :)

:bow jumpbutton

edit - this level also makes me really really wish for a full hd recording facility in the game, with no loss of effects etc. Tried taking some screens too but so many effects lost in the process :(

edit 2 - :eek: sorry jump_button...i'm getting my neogaf lbp creators confused! :(

Ranger X

Oni Jazar said:
I've been going through the Level of the Year contenders and so far I've got to say I love Subterranean Setbacks. Great level design and challenges. I got stuck in the generator room. I think I know how to get out but I had to leave and turn off the system.

This is the one I voted for. It reeks excellence!!

Ranger X

akachan ningen said:
The is MM music pack any good? in the lbp store it says it lets you compose your own music, is that actually true?

No. They say that because those are customisable songs like some of the songs you already have. It's very badly worded I know.

Massa

gofreak said:
Wow @ Rain Factory Part One (a jump_button level)

So so gorgeous. So much depth to the backgrounds, the sunsetty lighting and how it plays on the cotton textures and the shadowing and how that plays on background layers etc. etc. It's like how I imagined platforming games might one day look when I was playing 16-bit platformers :)

:bow jumpbutton

edit - this level also makes me really really wish for a full hd recording facility in the game, with no loss of effects etc. Tried taking some screens too but so many effects lost in the process :(

edit 2 - :eek: sorry jump_button...i'm getting my neogaf lbp creators confused! :(

I couldn't finish that level, those god damn balloons are so frustrating. :-(

TheSeks

Ranger X said:
Try my "Sack's Adventures: The Blue Planet". There's water in there and it doesn't suck so it makes your trophy hunting more worth it. ;)

(PSN: RangerZero)

I left a comment, but I'll leave it here again:

The sticker triggers/prize bubble will not be saved if I have that option turned to "No" (which I have perma-set after a bunch of really shitty prizes being awarded to me). Therefore the level becomes broke because you can't sticker-trigger to continue after that light plant part.

Also the R1/Jump over the ledge bit was a bit annoying. A bit of a hassle to get up, grab the ledge and have it sink and not stay down so you can jump over it and jump to the next rock and continue.

You might want to tweak the level with a work around for those of us that don't save pictures/user created content or make a note to turn it ON for this level.

edgefusion

What do I need to buy from the EU store to get the new Pirates of the Caribbean levels? Nothing on there mentions either water or new levels, are they even out?

TheSeks

edgefusion said:
What do I need to buy from the EU store to get the new Pirates of the Caribbean levels? Nothing on there mentions either water or new levels, are they even out?

PotC level pack...?

Ranger X

TheSeks said:
I left a comment, but I'll leave it here again:

The sticker triggers/prize bubble will not be saved if I have that option turned to "No" (which I have perma-set after a bunch of really shitty prizes being awarded to me). Therefore the level becomes broke because you can't sticker-trigger to continue after that light plant part.

Also the R1/Jump over the ledge bit was a bit annoying. A bit of a hassle to get up, grab the ledge and have it sink and not stay down so you can jump over it and jump to the next rock and continue.

You might want to tweak the level with a work around for those of us that don't save pictures/user created content or make a note to turn it ON for this level.

When the level starts, there's a message telling you to turn your prize collecting option on ...

Ranger X

edgefusion said:

There's the costume pack and the level kit (or whatever they call that other pack).
You need to buy the level kit and you'll get water, the tools and the levels. (+ all the stuff for create mode that you will collect though the levels of course).

yurinka

Duane Cunningham said:
"Outstanding Achievement" to Little Big Contra still blows my mind. My, how times have changed, remember when they would've banned that?
They said they only banned when:

a) IP owners claimed their material was under copyright so they were going to sue them.
b) Some levels were temporally banned when other user pressed select to blame until a mod checked the level and saw there wasn't anything to remove.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Massa said:
I couldn't finish that level, those god damn balloons are so frustrating. :-(

Yeah, it can be frustrating... but if you steady the balloon before jumping it'll do what you want it to do. But if the balloon is moving all over the place when jumping...your mileage will vary.

Teknoman

Uploaded the trailer for the third stage in my Planet Neo platforming series: Jade Flora Jungle.

20qjtco.jpg

1zd4q44.jpg

ngq1qp.jpg

After seeing what that guy did for Ranger's Blue Planet stage, I figured i'd give another shot at trailer style previews (like the little big contra trailer) instead the usual entire stage walkthrough videos that sorta spoil the entire stage.

Stage 3: Jade Flora Jungle

If its still processing or you get an error, just give it awhile.

EDIT: Oh and word of advice, if you're having creators block for enemy or boss types, break up MS paint or just a pen and paper, and sketch different ideas.

Could always use advice/complaints/complements/etc. So search for TeknomanEX or Jade Flora Jungle.

EDIT 2: Now that im taking a small creation break, i've got time to try others levels :lol One thing about LBP creation is that once you get in that zone, its hard to stop until you're finished.

*Good job Ranger, that was like a Little Big Metroid :lol

EDIT 3: Alright fixed the the unecessary layers on the enemies (went back and did that for all enemies in my collection, dunno what I was thinking there), added an extra camera zone in the cave for trap visiblity and a few extra enemies/ background objects here and there. Havent republished yet though. Now i've got to figure out a way to make the Calamarine boss harder, or at least with attacks that actually hit.

new level and iam back now XD yeah water!

The Nostalgia of the Infinite
by: Jump_button
where: Africa

I wanted to do more of a puzzle level Inspire Ico as well as the style and feeling of the games with my own.

- Ico style
- Torch item
- My own Characters
- First of a new series of levels
I want to do more but iam saving them for next part

The_Nastalgia_of_the_Infinite_by_jump_button.jpg

aphoto.jpg

aphoto1d.jpg

aphoto2z.jpg

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
donkey show said:
Some preliminary work on my upcoming level.

2vsf5nr.jpg

2079k6p.jpg

I love using the 3d glitch. :D

3D glitch?

I've been toying with building this big glass structure.

Some more depth, even just for visuals, could be nice. I see some levels that have tonnes of depth.

Like jump_button's there with that set of arches...that goes beyond standard layers, doesn't it? (looking forward to playing btw :p)

ezekial45

Banned
jump_button said:

I wanted to do more of a puzzle level Inspire Ico as well as the style and feeling of the games with my own.

- Ico style
- Torch item
- My own Characters

aphoto.jpg

aphoto1d.jpg

aphoto2z.jpg

Thats what I like to see! Bring back Ico, I am going to play it after I finish this post. I recently picked up LBP and I can easily say this is one of the best games i've ever played. I play a lot online so feel free to add, more importantly, any tips for a beginner level creator? I've making a linear level to get used to the level creator tools, and I've also started a more multiple path horror map. Thanks, i'll try and get to all of the gaf created maps!

*EDIT* I just completed the Ico Map...
I must say what a great map. The atmosphere was perfect, the buildings were aged and decaying. The background of the mysterious building seemed to go on forever, it it was easy to immerse myself into what I remember of Ico. Your custom characters fit very well with the environment. The enemies looked convincing when I would imagine how they came from the map itself. The puzzles were the best part, you used the concept of weight and boyancy very well. I especially liked the Crate and waterwheel puzzle. The torch worked very well also, though sometimes it seems like the torch was carrying me around. :lol A great idea that you used was leaving the dark area into the outside area, the death and life to use as a transition was well thought out. The only thing I would change would be the music, It did not really fit my idea of Ico, a bit on the "happy busy town" side for me. That is a personal opinion of course. 5/5 stars and hearted. Great job!

After playing Lastinline's Map: Contamination...
Great grasp of the water buoyancy and technique! The platforming and swimming elements were great. the swaying and shifting of the platforms above the hazardous were tricky at times but made the level even more enjoyable. The concept of the map made me feel like an environmentalist, and the layout and setting worked well. I imagined this map being in the middle of the Atlantic, but being important even though it is far from civilization. One thing I would have hoped was the swimming searches could've gone on a biiiitt longer. In one instance, the swimming was difficult (with the shifting lethal and non lethal platforms) it would have felt better to actually have an incentive to go through there instead of points. Then again, it was difficult, so certain people would've given up if they died too much. Again, just personal opinion. 4/5 and Hearted. Great work!

Now I will try and finish one of my custom maps!

Nice looking level jump_button. I'll definitely check it out later on. Now that I think about it, I never think your levels are challenging enough. Don't get me wrong, that's probably a strength in itself considering it makes it easier to run through, but it'd be cool if you made one that had a higher degree of difficulty.

gofreak said:
3D glitch?

I've been toying with building this big glass structure.

Some more depth, even just for visuals, could be nice. I see some levels that have tonnes of depth.

Like jump_button's there with that set of arches...that goes beyond standard layers, doesn't it? (looking forward to playing btw :p)
Yar, those arches are far in the back. In the pic of that giant monolith I made, the only thing that's in the standard layers is the hands, sword, and stone dragon on the ground. The 3D glitch is basically for depth as you cannot have any moving objects in the background or they'll break. It's a bitch to get used to, but the payoff is awesome.

Man, if I didn't have work and grad school, I'd be finished with this damn level already. :lol

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
jump_button said:

- Ico style
- Torch item
- My own Characters

Very beautiful level. Great lighting, a very nice realisation of the aesthetic.

Nice application of the 'balloon mechanic' for the torch too :)

I think difficulty was about spot-on in this one...but there could be room for an even more challenging one in the series like donkey suggests. But I wouldn't say that one was easy-peasy really...was a nice level of challenge I think.

Mesijs

How do you actually create custom backgrounds? I didn't see any option for that in LBP?

I'm creating a level about a game website editor... Once it was featured in an article series on my website but never got the time for it. But I fell in love with it again and actually started working on the level... I got quite an extensive plan already, so hopefully it works out well.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Mesijs said:
How do you actually create custom backgrounds? I didn't see any option for that in LBP?

There's apparently tricks you can use to build out into layers beyond the standard ones, build out into the background.

A couple more pics from jump_button's level:

28l9o61.jpg

2gsl4xf.jpg

I took some others but LBP's low resolution on screens and the stripping out of lighting etc. make them shadows of what you actually see on screen :(

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
gofreak said:
There's apparently tricks you can use to build out into layers beyond the standard ones, build out into the background.

A couple more pics from jump_button's level:

28l9o61.jpg

2gsl4xf.jpg

I took some others but LBP's low resolution on screens and the stripping out of lighting etc. make them shadows of what you actually see on screen :(

Hey gofreak can you jump on LBP for a sec? Need to show off ;)

Top Bottom