• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Halo 3: ODST Thread

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
juices said:
Also PS When are they patching the Double Reload glitch? Oh wait thats right Bungie doesn't patch their games.

This is really the only glitch that I would like to be patched. It totally messed me up today. I got a really nice double kill with snipes and reloaded the sniper. As it was finishing the reload, I jumped out of cover, instantly lined up a dirty headshot for my triple when I had it happened and I was forced to reload again and back down. Bungle shood giv me mai dam trippl kill!!! I used to think it was only from doing YY when I reload but now that I've shaken that habit almost completely, I still get it. I get it now with my BR which is totally not cool.

While I am playing MW2 on PS3 with my wireless connection (lol) I know not to take that game seriously. I make sure to watch all of my death cams where I call BS and watch the guy kill me as it appears I never even shot him. What does that mean? Well, he saw me first, shot me first and I guess to the host or him, I never even fired my gun. I GOT RAPED!!!!1 LOLz It's fun here and there, shit on some high level players and try out the cool guns. Also, it's pretty annoying getting killed by people out of the maps. It's like Halo 2 all over again. Oh and the map with the rain coming down is complete dog shit. It's like fucking backwash only worse. lol

Gui_PT

GhaleonEB said:
Statistcally speaking, there's about a 99% chance I won't be playing any non-Bungie Halo games either, but that's mostly because I think most of the games released these days are crap.

That and you'll probably be out watching Avatar

GhaleonEB said:
Statistcally speaking, there's about a 99% chance I won't be playing any non-Bungie Halo games either, but that's mostly because I think most of the games released these days are crap.
I was more trying to say that there isn't any such thing as "true Halo."

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I saw the edit Dax. 343's Halo its incredibly exciting imo. I believe Bungie has taken the main Halo arch as far as it can go under their control. It is time to see new ideas. I know there is a great chance that 343 could kill the whole universe by releasing a turd (ie The Package), but I want to take that risk. If Halo dies, I want it to be a quick dead (a single ambitious project failing to live up to the quality of the other main games), rather than a long agonizing dead filled with tons of mediocre games, forgiven for their lack of quality just because they are not a direct continuation of the main arch.

Gui_PT

big ander said:
I've vetoed Grifball before. The Sandbox ones are better than the normal Foundry one, I think.

Eh. They're squares =P

Edit: Halo Legends Origins seems to be up on Waypoint

And it's awesome

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Oozer3993 said:
So, customs tonight?

Didn't you get the memo? People here will spend hours discussing Halo but not a few playing it once a week.

We're going ahead with customs tonight, in about an hour's time. Hopefully we'll get enough folks to show up!

GhaleonEB said:
Don't kid yourself, you'll hype it, you'll make a thread for it, you'll buy it, you'll play it, and you'll love it.

Microsoft has let A LOT of exclusive relationships and first party teams go...but they've built one solid team, and thats 343 Industries. You better believe that Halo 4 (launch title for the new Xbox console in 2012 [maybe 2013]) is going to be fucking awesome. And you will undoubtedly play it. And this goes out to everyone else here who actually thinks they're done with Halo after Bungie. Oh please.

EazyB

Banned
Vast Inspiration said:
Don't kid yourself, you'll hype it, you'll make a thread for it, you'll buy it, you'll play it, and you'll love it.

Microsoft has let A LOT of exclusive relationships and first party teams go...but they've built one solid team, and thats 343 Industries. You better believe that Halo 4 (launch title for the new Xbox console in 2012 [maybe 2013]) is going to be fucking awesome. And you will undoubtedly play it. And this goes out to everyone else here who actually thinks they're done with Halo after Bungie. Oh please.
You obviously don't know Ghaleon. :lol

Anyways, 343 has a whole lot to prove to me before I'll get my expectations up. It's a totally new team who for the most part have never worked together so I don't understand how anyone can have that much unabashed faith in them. Bungie's certainly set a good foundation for them to build off of and they have a few big names there but it's going to take a lot more than that. Working against them in my view is the fact that they are stuck in the same franchise that will have seen more than a handful games already and would much rather have 343, a group of Halo fans, bring what they love about Halo to a new IP.

Ramirez

Anyone who thinks 343 will release a turd is dumb, I don't think MS is foolish enough to ship a Halo game that sucks. This is gonna be their cash cow of the forever, they'll make sure it's at least decent.

EazyB

Banned
Ramirez said:
Anyone who thinks 343 will release a turd is dumb, I don't think MS is foolish enough to ship a Halo game that sucks. This is gonna be their cash cow of the forever, they'll make sure it's at least decent.
In the MP shooter arena there's not a whole lotta room for "decent" games. It's not easy making a Halo/CoD caliber shooter, just ask all the devs that've tried and failed. 343 is a brand new studio so they'll really have to pull off something amazing if they want to compete with studios like Bungie and IW who will have a lot of AAA games under their belts especially if they hope to capture some of these players' MP time.

EazyB said:
In the MP shooter arena there's not a whole lotta room for "decent" games. It's not easy making a Halo/CoD caliber shooter, just ask all the devs that've tried and failed. 343 is a brand new studio so they'll really have to pull off something amazing if they want to compete with studios like Bungie and IW who will have a lot of AAA games under their belts especially if they hope to capture some of these players' MP time.

Who is saying anything about making another Multiplayer shooter? That'd be kinda foolhardy on their part. I think Halo Wars and ODST have shown people will buy a Halo game for the brand rather than just the multiplayer.

From what he's been saying it sounds like Frankie and the guys at 343 are interested in forwarding the fiction, Evolutions and this most recent episode of Legends show that.

EazyB

Banned
randomlyrossy said:
Who is saying anything about making another Multiplayer shooter? That'd be kinda foolhardy on their part. I think Halo Wars and ODST have shown people will buy a Halo game for the brand rather than just the multiplayer.
:lol

randomlyrossy said:
From what he's been saying it sounds like Frankie and the guys at 343 are interested in forwarding the fiction, Evolutions and this most recent episode of Legends show that.
I realize that they're really pushing the fiction and I have no problem believing they can deliver a better story than Bungie as I don't think that's one of Bungie's strengths.

Walshicus

randomlyrossy said:

I still think there first game will be a Mass Effect style HALO FPS-RPG set in the post-war period.

Well, that's the game I wish for every day...

Thermite

EazyB said:
I realize that they're really pushing the fiction and I have no problem believing they can deliver a better story than Bungie as I don't think that's one of Bungie's strengths.

Let's not go crazy. I mean, if Legends is any indication on how they're going to "progress" Halo's fiction, Bungie is leagues above 343. (see: cat-faced Elites; female Spartan with crazy long snow white hair; spiky haired Marines; Halsey being a young blonde, etc)

Ramirez

Thermite said:
Let's not go crazy. I mean, if Legends is any indication on how they're going to "progress" Halo's fiction, Bungie is leagues above 343. (see: cat-faced Elites; female Spartan with crazy long snow white hair; spiky haired Marines; Halsey being a young blonde, etc)

u mad as usual Therms? :D

big ander

Thermite said:
Well, that's all from the anime studios making the shorts. They were given some artistic leeway. But the stories themselves are pretty good, so I trust 343 in that department.

I've never thought Bungies storytelling was bad though. It was just poorly told at points. The actual meat of the story was excellent with me.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm having a bit of trouble getting back into the Halo swing and enjoying the ODST campaign. I'm only part-way through the first mission (on Heroic), and I'm just not swinging back into that sliding back into that groove Halo carved out a while back.

Does the game get better after the first mission or so?

I'm thinking of turning the difficulty down to Normal as well.

Thermite

Ramirez said:
u mad as usual Therms? :D

:lol 24/7, dude. :p

big ander said:
Well, that's all from the anime studios making the shorts. They were given some artistic leeway. But the stories themselves are pretty good, so I trust 343 in that department.

I suppose, but at the same time, you can't just discredit the story the visuals also tell in the anime shorts as not being canon simply because the artists were given "leeway".

RBH

Rez said:
I'm having a bit of trouble getting back into the Halo swing and enjoying the ODST campaign. I'm only part-way through the first mission (on Heroic), and I'm just not swinging back into that sliding back into that groove Halo carved out a while back.

Does the game get better after the first mission or so?

I'm thinking of turning the difficulty down to Normal as well.
It gets better after the first mission imo. I've been playing on Normal, and the missions become more varied and distinct from one another once you get past the first one. First one is probably my least favorite,
but as long as you have a long-range weapon like the Carbine Rifle, you should be able to get through the first mission. Near the end of the first mission, make sure to keep an eye out for doorways on the side that you can go through so that you can get a better shot on the snipers and other enemies. It makes things alot easier and less frustrating.

big ander

Dax01 said:
Tayari Plaza is one of the best levels in the game.
Agreed. Rez, maybe you should step down to Normal for the first playthrough, just to get through the level. The level will be easier on Heroic/Legendary when it's your second playthrough and you know what you're doing, but for now I'm thinking Normal will give you enough challenge to be fun while enabling you to actually experience the whole game.

Thermite said:
I suppose, but at the same time, you can't just discredit the story the visuals also tell in the anime shorts as not being canon simply because the artists were given "leeway".
True, true. Certainly I'd be angry if I saw any of the flowing-hair spartans or a nubile Halsey in a game, or a book. But for some reason, I feel fine watching that stuff when I know it's anime. Comes with the territory, in my mind.

Merguson

Banned
I thought Tayari Plaza was rather boring. It's essentially "The Hub" in daytime except that you're restricted to a certain area.

GhaleonEB

Vast Inspiration said:

Just like Halo Wars, a game I tried the demo for, thought was a decent entry in a genre I don't care for, and 1) didn't make the thread for (once) and 2) didn't buy. :p
EazyB said:
You obviously don't know Ghaleon. :lol

Anyways, 343 has a whole lot to prove to me before I'll get my expectations up. It's a totally new team who for the most part have never worked together so I don't understand how anyone can have that much unabashed faith in them. Bungie's certainly set a good foundation for them to build off of and they have a few big names there but it's going to take a lot more than that. Working against them in my view is the fact that they are stuck in the same franchise that will have seen more than a handful games already and would much rather have 343, a group of Halo fans, bring what they love about Halo to a new IP.
Pretty much this. I'm going to go into what ever games they put out with an open mind, but it's going to be just another game from another studio that I'll approach as such.

An analogy: As Bungie is to games (my favorite developer), James Cameron is to movies (my favorite film maker). His films heavily populate my personal favorite list, and so despite my being somewhat dubious of Avatar early on, I was at the theater opening night, wife in tow. (Avatar fucking rocks, BTW.)

Love the first two Terminator movies. But when the series got handed off in parts 3 and 4, the reviews, previews and plot summaries all make them look like something I wasn't interested in. So despite the first two being two of my favorite movies ever, I never saw Rise of the Machines or Salvation. Might check them out on video some day, but they're just another couple of average looking dumb action movies to me. I'm a fan of Cameron's work, not the title of the movie.

And so it is with the Halo games. Just making a new game with Halo in the title, but from a different developer, doesn't go very far with me. I like the games because of how they're made, not the title; the game has to stand on its own. I approach all games with skeptical optimism. But whatever Bungie cranks out next, I'm there, day one.

GhaleonEB said:
Just like Halo Wars, a game I tried the demo for, thought was a decent entry in a genre I don't care for, and 1) didn't make the thread for (once) and 2) didn't buy. :p
That's only because you got the maps for free beforehand.

Halo Wars is actually a good game and is extremely fun to play coop. But if you don't like RTS then you most likely wouldn't like it either. It's sort of a disapointment coming from Ensemble because of its lack of depth, but its still fun. Worth the cheap price that its at now. Certainly not worth the 80 I paid for it (shamefully).

Stormtrooper30 said:

Halo Wars is actually a good game and is extremely fun to play coop. But if you don't like RTS then you most likely wouldn't like it either. It's sort of a disapointment coming from Ensemble because of its lack of depth, but its still fun. Worth the cheap price that its at now. Certainly not worth the 80 I paid for it (shamefully).

Halo wars is fun, but it's no RTS. It's more of a Real Time Isometric View Of You Selecting All Your Units And Rushing The Enemy Base Repeatedly Until It Falls. Nice to keep it short though: RTS will do. :)

It has an amazing lack of features for an RTS entry but still manages to be fantastic fun. :D

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Stormtrooper30 said:

We should get the multiplayer going some time, there's enough HaloGAFers with Wars at the moment to have a good lark. =)

REV 09

DiabolicalBagel said:
Halo wars is fun, but it's no RTS. It's more of a Real Time Isometric View Of You Selecting All Your Units And Rushing The Enemy Base Repeatedly Until It Falls. Nice to keep it short though: RTS will do. :)

It has an amazing lack of features for an RTS entry but still manages to be fantastic fun. :D
bah, halo wars is the best RTS on a console imo. and it is an RTS...play multi.

zumphry

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
And so it is with the Halo games. Just making a new game with Halo in the title, but from a different developer, doesn't go very far with me. I like the games because of how they're made, not the title; the game has to stand on its own. I approach all games with skeptical optimism. But whatever Bungie cranks out next, I'm there, day one.

Once again, Ghaleon says what I failed to say, but better. :D

I kinda did spur conversation, so this is kinda a win-win for the thread, kinda. :lol

GhaleonEB

Stormtrooper30 said:
On the off chance that this isn't sarcasm:

You really think I would buy three maps for $70 (or whatever the LE was) just to get them a few weeks early? Fuck that shit. I was predispositioned not to support Microsoft's Halo 3 content bundle-athon, but I sure am hell don't buy entire games I don't want for a timed DLC exclusive.

I don't buy boxes of cereal just for the toy surprise, either. (But that's partly because All-Bran doesn't come with one. Gotta stay regular.)

If it was: never mind.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
cheers, guys. I'm going to lower the difficulty, at least until I get back into the swing of things. :)

vhfive

Stormtrooper30 said:

for someone who thinks that its "extremely fun to play coop" you certainly stood me up like an ugly prom date tonight.
don't make a girl a promise...
wait, shit wrong quote

KevinRo

GhaleonEB said:
An analogy: As Bungie is to games (my favorite developer), James Cameron is to movies (my favorite film maker). His films heavily populate my personal favorite list, and so despite my being somewhat dubious of Avatar early on, I was at the theater opening night, wife in tow. (Avatar fucking rocks, BTW.)

Love the first two Terminator movies. But when the series got handed off in parts 3 and 4, the reviews, previews and plot summaries all make them look like something I wasn't interested in. So despite the first two being two of my favorite movies ever, I never saw Rise of the Machines or Salvation. Might check them out on video some day, but they're just another couple of average looking dumb action movies to me. I'm a fan of Cameron's work, not the title of the movie.

This whole post was kinda stupid.

Seriously, you go watch movies or buy games blindly because of the Producer/Developer but get turned off when another Game/Movie in the series isn't by them because of reviews and and previews? Kinda dumb.

GhaleonEB

KevinRo said:
This whole post was kinda stupid.

Seriously, you go watch movies or buy games blindly because of the Producer/Developer but get turned off when another Game/Movie in the series isn't by them because of reviews and and previews? Kinda dumb.
I look forward to stuff from people who made stuff I've liked before, and am more cautious about buying stuff from people who's work I've never touched. Difficult concept, I know.

NOKYARD

GhaleonEB said:
I'm going to go into what ever games they put out with an open mind, but it's going to be just another game from another studio that I'll approach as such.
I do not doubt that 343 could build a quality game (which i will buy even if it had bad reviews), but can they build a robust community around the game like Bungie has? More importantly, will people get 343 tattoos?

xxjuicesxx said:
Kikowani Station Legendary 31 minutes 7 deaths.
Not too shabby. The record for SLASO is 12:10! (Solo Legendary All Skulls On, zero deaths)

Gui_PT said:
Who the hell vetoes on a Grifball game?
You're welcome. :D

ZayneH said:
Once again, Ghaleon says what I failed to say, but better. :D
Ghal's not going around saying what's "true Halo" and what isn't. It's like saying Star Trek (2009) isn't Trek. It is. The same way Halo Wars is Halo.

EazyB said:
If this guy stays away from 343's gameplay department they'll be off to a good start.
I'm actually writing a book called: The Better Rifle: Why Captain Keyes Doesn't Hand You A Fully Automatic Weapon In The First Level Of Halo 1.

It's an epic, indepth 700 page look at how semi-automatic gameplay (M6D/BR55) defined Halo for years before being usurped by nubified, fully automatic, spray-n-pray gameplay.

Still waiting to hear back from the publisher on that one.

Mr Vociferous said:
I'm actually writing a book called: The Better Rifle: Why Captain Keyes Doesn't Hand You A Fully Automatic Weapon In The First Level Of Halo 1.

It's an epic, indepth 700 page look at how semi-automatic gameplay (M6D/BR55) defined Halo for years before being usurped by nubified, fully automatic, spray-n-pray gameplay.

I would buy it at a high price!

Funny thing is, the pistol was never intended to be as strong as came to be. Nobody knows who tweaked the pistol, but it was intended to be weaker.

zumphry

Banned
Dax01 said:
Ghal's not going around saying what's "true Halo" and what isn't. It's like saying Star Trek (2009) isn't Trek. It is. The same way Halo Wars is Halo.

Did I ever say anything about "true Halo" in my post? Or did I magically imply that too?

Ramirez

Mr Vociferous said:

See, 343 people get it.

ZayneH said:
Did I ever say anything about "true Halo" in my post? Or did I magically imply that too?
You said it awhile back. Ze quoted it and asked if you were being serious because he couldn't tell. I would attempt to find the post, but for whatever reason the search function's giving me a "fatal error." Maybe it's trying to tell me something!:lol

zumphry

Banned
Dax01 said:
You said it awhile back. Ze quoted it and asked if you were being serious because he couldn't tell. I would attempt to find the post, but for whatever reason the search function's giving me a "fatal error." Maybe it's trying to tell me something!:lol

This it?

I'd make a Get a Mac joke, but this is gaming side. :lol

Top Bottom