• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Robertson Rumor: Tanabe & Retro no longer on good terms, Sakamoto overseeing Retro

Status
Not open for further replies.

wrowa

You do realize that just because George Lucas directed episode V doesn't mean the man should be trusted to direct any future Star Wars anything.

Basically, the guy was able to kill his own franchise to the point that the only game we're getting since is a spin off everybody, except me, already hates because Samus isn't playable.

Sure Star Wars didn't die, but that's because talented people got that psychopath away from it. The same should be done with Sakamoto after the travesty that was Other M.

Other M didn't kill the franchise, it was just another underperforming Metroid game. The truth is that Prime 2 and Prime 3 didn't sell very well either. Sure, still much better than Other M, but it was nevertheless kinda obvious that Nintendo wasn't satisfied with the Metroid franchise's performance on a whole.

Diffense

I doubt the credibility of the source of this tale but it is a fact that

1)Tanabe said he doesn't know what Retro is working on now
2) He was the producer of all of Retro's output from Prime 1 to Tropical Freeze.

So something has changed in his relationship with Retro.

Humouring the idea that Sakamoto is now Retro's producer, I would be willing to give that collab a chance at a new Metroid. If Sakamoto wanted to do a 2D Metroid again, Retro would probably do a fine job. Team Ninja wanted to make a 3D action game (their expertise) and Sakamoto kept reigning them in which limited Other M. Retro, OTOH has a lot of experience creating 2D sidescrollers with a 3D presentation.

Some of the major people behind Prime have left Retro (working on Recore I think) but I would also love a new Prime one day. I think 2D and 3D Metroid show off different aspects of the franchise. Level design and progression can be really tight in 2D but immersive 3D can really bring out the atmosphere.

You do realize that just because George Lucas directed episode V doesn't mean the man should be trusted to direct any future Star Wars anything.

Basically, the guy was able to kill his own franchise to the point that the only game we're getting since is a spin off everybody, except me, already hates because Samus isn't playable.

Sure Star Wars didn't die, but that's because talented people got that psychopath away from it. The same should be done with Sakamoto after the travesty that was Other M.

George Lucas didn't direct Episode V though...

Diffense

Nintendo also keeps someone important in a position of power when working with western studios. And honestly, while not Retro, there's a noticeable difference in quality between Nintendo games by Next Level and Monster games and stuff they do outside Nintendo

It's not even specifically Western devs. Take a look at Hitoshi Yamagami's list of projects:
http://nintendo.wikia.com/wiki/Hitoshi_Yamagami

Sin & Punishment 2 (Treasure)
Bayonetta 2 and The Wonderful 101 (Platinum)
Xenoblade and X (Monolithsoft)
Pokemon X Y (Gamefreak)
Fire Emblem Awakening and Fates (Intelligent Systems)
The Last Story (Mistwalker/AQ Interactive)

The list goes on and on. It seems pretty standard for NCL to have a producer collaborating with teams outside of EAD (or w.e it's now called).

First off, let me say that George Lucas alone didn't kill Star Wars, the lack of a good writing partner did. The fact is that George tried to get Lawrence Kasdan on board for the prequels, but Kasdan wasn't interested. Combine the lack of involvement with any of the old Star Wars creative guard to the fact that George was surrounded by yes-men like Rick McCallum and you have a recipe for disaster: a great idea man who is a mediocre writer faced with the incredible task of making Star Wars films that live up to people's expectations while also telling the story he felt needed to be told.

THAT BEING SAID... allow me to poke a huge whole in your analogy.

Lucas directed three "bad" Star Wars films, but no one called him a psychopath after the first. Oh sure, people loathed Jar Jar and the film was generally a disappointment to longtime fans. But people didn't bitch about Lucas "ruining" Star Wars after only one bad film. Something something something of legacy outstanding work outweighing the first and only (at that time) mistake.

But Yoshio Sakamoto? Oh, fuck that guy. He made a bad Metroid game. Sakamoto is totally the George Lucas of the game world, brah. Totally.

Shiggy

Have heard this before but likely from the same source and also like six months ago.

I'm on my phone, so I don't want to type my thoughts out here, but I remember reasoning that this was probably for the better.

Interesting. Yet people still say it must be fake. He definitely has some source within Nintendo as we have seen from the Devil's Third, Paper Mario, or Mario vs. DK: Amiibo game.

Oersted

Okay, this is a stupid rumor for one simple reason, Yoshio Sakamoto was promoted to NCL Development Department Manager back in 2014, this is fact. Tanabe works under Sakamoto now, so do over a dozen producers actually, and Sakamoto oversees more projects now from his promotions from Group Manager (managed 2-3 development teams at a time) to Department Manager (manages a dozen of development teams at a time). Sakamoto will likely be overseeing Federation Force from an executive or senior production position, just like he will be many other games. This doesn’t require much research as it is an ostensible certainty based on his position at the company. But Sakamoto isn’t going to be flying over to Texas to do quarterly checks on the products. There are plenty of traveling producers at NCL who specifically serve that role of international producers, who are accustomed to traveling Japan, Europe, and the US. Those sets of producers/coordinators will report to Sakamoto (DM)/Takahashi (GM) in Japan.

Tanabe not working directly with Retro on this next project doesn't mean it is because of this dramatic work that Tamaki may be fabricating. Nintendo has over a dozen US producers that switch between projects. Sakamoto is their boss now. Then Takahashi is Sakamoto's boss.

I will also make this point of reference over Tamaki. I'm friends with a few development personnel in Japanese and US based offices with direct relation or affiliation to Nintendo. I don't badger them about secrets, like ever. But when our conversations do steer towards Nintendo, it's clear to see how the company protects itself, and how the employees respect the company. Unless this dude is friends with a Pres. or Vice President, there is no single source that can provide such a range of rumors or insider news. Maybe he has befriended 20 developers at Nintendo, and they are all willing to talk. I don't know, but I think he is just a suspicious dude who seems to really enjoy the limelight.

Quoting for new page

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
The NeoGAF Council has discussed this and decided that we do not want to entertain Doctor Cupcakes rumor threads anymore. Feel free to discuss his stuff on his own community platforms or Twitter or whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom