• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Robertson Rumor: Tanabe & Retro no longer on good terms, Sakamoto overseeing Retro

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhandino

Banned
Didnt Sakamoto supervised Splatoon??
There was a rumor in twitter shortly after the reveal of the game and he was briefly listed on Wikipedia as Supervisor but when that was brought up in the reveal thread we got this:

I don't know what the source is, or the validity of Sakamoto supervising an EAD game directly. Anything is possible but this may be a mistake, since Sakamoto has his own internal game group inside the Nintendo SPD division.

Then again, everything was just restructured so who knows what is going on..

So who knows, that was a pretty interesting period for Nintendo internal teams.

Datschge

A lot of those Sakamoto credits for his contributions to games are special thanks, advisor or designer.

Sakamoto is not why Wario Land 4 is awesome.
Hosokawa and Morisawa also worked on Wario Land 4, Fusion, Zero and Other M. The continuity is there, except for Other M those three people were the only ones left from the initial RD1 staff.

ec0ec0

Like, you guys see "they stuck Retro with the Other M guy," and I see "ALL OF THE PEOPLE THAT MADE THE BEST METROID GAMES THAT WE ALL LOVE ARE WORKING TOGETHER IN THE SAME PLACE while Tanabe is elsewhere working on some whatever kiddie multiplayer spin-off for kids"

but those left retro long, long ago.

Banned
When this is proven wrong:

"Hey guys so at the last minute Tanabe and Retro made up and compromised."

Yukinari

Balloon Fight (1984) — Game Designer
Wrecking Crew (1985) — Director, game Designer
Gumshoe (1986) — Director, game Designer
Metroid (1986) — Game Designer
Kid Icarus (1986) — Game Designer
Balloon Kid (1990) — Director
X (1992) — Director
Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru (1992) - Scenario Writer
Super Metroid (1994) — Director, Scenario Writer
Teleroboxer (1995) — Director
Galactic Pinball (1995) — Special Thanks
Game & Watch Gallery (1997) — Advisor
Trade & Battle: Card Hero (2000) — Director
Wario Land 4 (2001) — Supervisor
Metroid Prime (2002) — Special Thanks
Metroid Fusion (2002) — Director, Scenario Writer
Wario World (2003) — Advisor
WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Party Game$! (2003) — Supervisor
WarioWare: Touched! (2004) — Producer
Metroid: Zero Mission (2004) — Director
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes (2004) — Special Thanks
Metroid Prime Pinball (2005) — Special Thanks
WarioWare: Smooth Moves (2006) — Producer
Rhythm Tengoku (2006) — Producer
Picross DS (2007) — Supervisor
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (2007) — Special Thanks
Rhythm Heaven (2008) — General Producer
WarioWare: D.I.Y. (2009) — Producer
Tomodachi Collection (2009, Japan exclusive) — Producer
Metroid: Other M (2010) — Director, Producer, Scenario Writer
Rhythm Heaven Fever (2011) — General Producer
Kiki Trick (2012) — Supervisor
Game & Wario (2013) — Producer
Tomodachi Life (2013 in Japan, 2014 worldwide) — Producer

The projects in which he has been a producer is almost impecable in terms of sales and success... but he made Other M so I guess Nintendo should burn him or something.

So out of that list he directed Super Metroid which is his best game on the list by far. He also produced some Warioware games as well as Rhythm Heaven and Tomodachi. (He had no involvement in Warioware Twisted which is my favorite one)

I dont understand why people think hes this legendary developer though? Hes no Gunpei Yokoi, Miyamoto, or Sakurai. Even with a game i love to death like Pikmin 2, i still dont like some decisions Miyamoto has made over the years.

Is it that hard to accept that Other M really soured people on Sakamoto?

Tookay

HOLY SHIIIIIIIT (if true)

So, Retro are working on Metroid (great rejoicing) but it's being overseen by Sakamoto! FUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Darkest fucking timeline!

I can totally understand Nintendo wanting a member of NCL there on the ground, but wow!

Still, everyone loves a good redemption story. Imagine Metroid Prime 4 comes out to rave reviews, and at the end: "Directed by Yoshio Sakamoto". He would be redeemed. Even a producer credit on a great game would salvage a large part of his reputation.

I'm rooting for you man!

(Time to catch up on the thread, sorry)

It doesn't need to be salvaged. He's a great director and a great producer who had a misstep. The fact that some people on the internet CANNOT.LET.IT.GO is their problem.

BiggNife

A lot of those Sakamoto credits for his contributions to games are special thanks, advisor or designer.

Sakamoto is not why Wario Land 4 is awesome.

There are plenty of director and producer roles in that gameography, as rhandino pointed out.

He's had a huge hand in Metroid throughout his career, including games people love like Super Metroid and Zero Mission, and has done a lot of work on Rhythm Heaven and Warioware, two series that are both very highly regarded.

A lot of people see the name Sakamoto and go "UGGGGH NOT ANOTHER OTHER M" while ignoring his enormous body of other work.

Don't you think it's kind of unreasonable to shit on a developer who has worked on dozens of good-to-great games for one stinker?

Also, Other M is literally the only one of his Metroid games people don't like. Super Metroid is widely regarded as one of the best SNES games. Zero Mission and Fusion both have large fanbases. Metroid 1, while it definitely does not hold up today, was downright revolutionary for its time.

It doesn't need to be salvaged. He's a great director and a great producer who had a misstep. The fact that some people on the internet CANNOT.LET.IT.GO is their problem.

I pretty much focus all of my hate on the game and not him, but ultimately it'd go a long way for him to acknowledge that it was a troubled game.

I really hope this doesn't mean the end of Donkey Kong games by Retro. I'm in the minority when it comes to wanting a new Metroid. If it's Sakamoto though, then I'm concerned.
I'd prefer the team to do whatever they are most passionate about. From the looks of tropical freeZe they put a lot of heart and soul into that game but do they really want to keep doing dkc forever? I have my doubts

SalvaPot

So out of that list he directed Super Metroid which is his best game on the list by far. He also produced some Warioware games as well as Rhythm Heaven and Tomodachi. (He had no involvement in Warioware Twisted which is my favorite one)

I dont understand why people think hes this legendary developer though? Hes no Gunpei Yokoi, Miyamoto, or Sakurai. Even with a game i love to death like Pikmin 2, i still dont like some decisions Miyamoto has made over the years.

Its not that people are soured with him, is the claims that anything he could touch will turn to shit. Supe Metroid is arguably still the best in the franchise, and he still produces awesome games like Megamix. The guy deserves another chance.

Also, I'd be totally fine with a different developer taking Retro's work on DKC and running with it. Retro itself proved that DKC wasn't just a Rare thing.

Boney

Banned
2 things

I call bullshit of a he nth degree. While obviously I have no idea how Tanabe is personally, I have trouble believing he is not one of the best producers out there to work with.Retro "Making his bed" and trying to stab him in the back about being oppressed about the evil Japanese tyrant keeps dragging them down is just ridiculous. Tanabe us the number one producer in charge of overseas development and I doubt he thinks of himself as above the baka gaining who have no idea how to make Videogames. I very much doubt any drastic falling off happened.

People still bitching as if Sakamoto is some sort of depraved lunatic are morons. Plain and simple. Grow up and use your heads or shut up.

I doubt Sakamoto who despite being one of Nintendo's biggest producers and backing up some of Nintendo's bigger hits, who has openly expressed his desire to move from traditional single player experience into games that can evoke communication and fun socially is gonna take over a studio like Retro. Sounds like the worst fan fiction that not even Paul Gale would have the nerve to make up.

Stupid all around but most from people comments about Sakamoto.

Ray Down

Banned

He's most recent director credit isn't the best, and his best works were so long ago.

People will judge his credits on his recent output as a director and exactly how bad it was.

Can't really say anything he touches will be shit though, but people can be a bit turned off if he's directing.

Yukinari

Its not that people are soured with him, is the claims that anything he could touch will turn to shit. Supe Metroid is arguably still the best in the franchise, and he still produces awesome games like Megamix. The guy deserves another chance.

Considering he directed one of the best games on the Virtual Boy i dont think hes total shit. Im just giving credit where its due for why Other M is how it is.

Banned
As long as sakamoto stays far away from writing and directing and sticks to producing we should be ok. If the word "baby" is uttered anytime during development, he gets removed from retro.

Vena

Retro DESERVES their freedom.

If they are under Sakamoto, they effectively are free. I don't know how many times this needs to be stated but Sakamoto was (prior to merger and promotions) the man in charge of all of SPD. He was Tanabe's boss and the man who oversaw all external production. If Retro is now directly under Sakamoto, they would effectively have (in the old structure) become their own branch of SPD rather than a sub-wing of SPD-3 under Tanabe. He has his own development team, he's not going to suddenly also be taking Retro under as a development team.

They serve to gain autonomy and clout from this, not lose it. They are now under one of the most senior and respected men at Nintendo, and I suspect either Sakamoto himself or Miyamoto was responsible for the shift as the latter is a fan of the studio.

This also gels well with the older rumor of them working on their own pitched project. If these rumors collide and verify, then, ya, Retro is effectively now operating under their own devices with Sakamoto as their direct connection to the NCL top.

Boney

Banned
Gunpei Yokoi was an engineer who was a key figure in the Nintendo transition, he barely had any involvement in game design except for "just do what you want" and "make it simple".

BiggNife

Considering he directed one of the best games on the Virtual Boy i dont think hes total shit. Im just giving credit where its due for why Other M is how it is.

No one is arguing that Sakamoto's directing and writing is a big reason why Other M is disliked. But to paint such a wide brush and assume he's just shit based on one game when the dude has such a huge and varied body of work is honestly unfair, and that's what a lot of people are doing.

Griss

If they are under Sakamoto, they effectively are free. I don't know how many times this needs to be stated but Sakamoto was (prior to merger and promotions) the man in charge of all of SPD. He was Tanabe's boss and the man who oversaw all external production. If Retro is now directly under Sakamoto, they would effectively have (in the old structure) become their own branch of SPD rather than a sub-wing of SPD-3 under Tanabe. He has his own development team, he's not going to suddenly also be taking Retro under as a development team.

They serve to gain autonomy and clout from this, not lose it. They are now under one of the most senior and respected men at Nintendo, and I suspect either Sakamoto himself or Miyamoto was responsible for the shift as the latter is a fan of the studio.

This also gels well with the older rumor of them working on their own pitched project. If these rumors collide and verify, then, ya, Retro is effectively now operating under their own devices with Sakamoto as their direct connection to the NCL top.

The problem with this is that Retro is quite possibly / probably working on Metroid, which is Sakamoto's, well, baby. It makes sense that he'd leave other teams to do what they want to / need to, but with Metroid it's hard not to feel like he'd want to get hands on and interfere. It's also hard not to imagine that, as a high-level employee with plenty of pull, that he would have asked to be put in this position for exactly that purpose.

No one is arguing that Sakamoto's directing and writing is a big reason why Other M is disliked. But to paint such a wide brush based on one game when the dude has such a huge and varied body of work is honestly unfair.

As far as I can tell he has never made a successful 3d title and his last decade is filled with various minigame collections of varying success. It's fair to be sceptical.

Vena

The problem with this is that Retro is quite possibly / probably working on Metroid, which is Sakamoto's, well, baby. It makes sense that he'd leave other teams to do what they want to / need to, but with Metroid it's hard not to feel like he'd want to get hands on and interfere. It's also hard not to imagine that, as a high-level employee with plenty of pull, that he would have asked to be put in this position for exactly that purpose.

I see no indication that Retro is working on Metroid.

Tookay

I pretty much focus all of my hate on the game and not him, but ultimately it'd go a long way for him to acknowledge that it was a troubled game.

I don't think we need him to make a public statement on it to give you catharsis.

Other M was a disappointment. These things happen. It's time to move on.

Kid Ying

Wow. That might be good. Love Sakamoto and he might make retro do a good metroid for a change. Although i wish they stuck with Donkey Kong.

-Horizon-

That's good :D

Griss

I see no indication that Retro is working on Metroid.

Sure, we don't know what Retro are working on. But history indicates there's a strong possibility that it's either DK or Metroid.

I guess the whole thing is that IF retro are working on a new metroid for NX (which makes sense to me as even a trailer of such would energise their hardcore support at launch) then I'd rather Sakamoto not be involved at all. If they're not making Metroid, then I feel like I lose anyway, as there's no new Retro Metroid. Feels like a lose-lose.

Vena

Sure, we don't know what Retro are working on. But history indicates there's a strong possibility that it's either DK or Metroid.

I guess the whole thing is that IF retro are working on a new metroid for NX (which makes sense to me as even a trailer of such would energise their hardcore support at launch) then I'd rather Sakamoto not be involved at all. If they're not making Metroid, then I feel like I lose anyway, as there's no new Retro Metroid. Feels like a lose-lose.

As noted, the rumors around Retro are that they pitched and were approved on a project that they wanted to do and not one that was mandated or passed down to them. Regardless of what it is, it is a good thing if Retro gets to make whatever Retro wants to make.

If its not a Metroid game, then it simply isn't what they wanted to make.

Toxi

Banned
The idea that Retro is forced into making X game is so silly.
People still bitching as if Sakamoto is some sort of depraved lunatic are morons. Plain and simple. Grow up and use your heads or shut up.
What part of "Please don't have Sakamoto work on Metroid again, the only one he's directed in the last decade was complete shit" calls him a depraved lunatic?

Instro

I think this is a good interpretation, assuming any of this is true. With all the restructuring that's happened, we probably have a better idea down the line of where Retro stands now.

BiggNife

As far as I can tell he has never made a successful 3d title and his last decade is filled with various minigame collections of varying success. It's fair to be sceptical.

Again, he'd be supervising, not directing or writing. That's a pretty important distinction, and makes the fears of an Other M 2 pretty unfounded.

ChaosXVI

I recall this rumor being trotted about several months back, and I'm not really sure that I buy it. It could merely be a shuffling around of talent. Tanabe could've stepped away from Retro to work more closely with NLG because they were working on Federation Force and therefore had someone stand in for him at Retro. Doesn't mean there was any sort of uprising against Tanabe.

Now of course, IF Sakamoto were to be in charge of Retro, which I find pretty unlikely, it would definitely point to them not working on Metroid Prime (since apparently they are considered separate franchises now), as it's Tanabe's baby. Retro would more than likely be handling a new main Metroid game, probably in 2D or 2.5D ala DKCR/TF. Miyamoto did say that they were generating ideas for both 2D and 3D Metroid games, and probably felt making the 3D for a handheld and 2D for a console would be a way to surprise people. Despite how much I hate Other M, I'm sure they're aware at this point that a big story-in-your-fucking-face Metroid game doesn't work, so I'd expect Sakamoto and Retro to be aiming for a "back to the roots" sort of Metroid.

Or it's all just a big bunch of bullshit, and nobody has any clue what Retro is up to, per fucking usual.

rhandino

Banned
What part of "Please don't have Sakamoto work on Metroid again, the only one he's directed in the last decade was complete shit" calls him a depraved lunatic?
Tbh I would call "crazy" or "King K Rool fan" to a person that entertain the notion that Sakamoto will not have ANY kind of involvement in any new Metroid game.

Toxi

Banned
Tbh I would call "crazy" or "King K Rool fan" to a person that entertain the notion that Sakamoto will not have ANY kind of involvement in any new Metroid game.
If his creative decisions for the last one were all terrible, why would I want him involved? Do you think that Sakamoto having some involvement in a Metroid game makes it inherently better?

Red Devil

I'm a little confused, is this good or bad? Isn't the timing a little too convinient?

While I think Retro did a good job with DK I think it's a waste of Retro's talent to have them developing it. Let them do something slightly more mature.

Doing something not mature being equal to a waste of talent is the biggest bullshit I've heard in a while.

Inb4 Sakamato made one mistake out of many awesome games.

Guess like Miyamoto is now just the "man who ruined Paper Mario: Sticker Star", Sakamoto is just damned as the "man who ruined Metroid; Other M".

I think you are confusing him with Shinya Takahashi. Though I think when Iwata finally let him run SPD, Sakamoto became Deputy General Manager for a couple years. Even then, SPD is really confusing since Tanabe has been an Executive Officer for a while which was more like managing the half of SPD that wasn't under Yamagami or Sakamoto (until his promotion). Essentially, they have equal standing (along with Tezuka) now and then EPD formed completely and now we don't know what's going on

Toxi

Banned
Guess like Miyamoto is now just the "man who ruined Paper Mario: Sticker Star", Sakamoto is just damned as the "man who ruined Metroid; Other M".
Miyamoto didn't direct Sticker Star, he just passed down some mandates.

Sakamoto directed and wrote Other M. Every terrible aspect of the game, from the controls to the level design to the story, was on him.

Ignoring that most people don't view Miyamoto that way, it's still a ridiculous comparison.

Ansatz

What does creative freedom mean in the context of Nintendo? I know people love to bring up Splatoon, but that game is backed by a huge marketing push which justfies new characters and also happens to be part of a massively popular genre that wasn't represented on Nintendo systems.

Nintendo has plenty of proven system sellers that MUST receive NX sequels:

2D Mario
3D Mario
Mario Maker
Animal Crossing
Tomodachi Life
Pokemon
Super Smash Bros.
Mario Kart
Splatoon
Zelda

to a lesser extent, but almost guaranteed to get sequels on NX:

Hyrule Warriors
Fire Emblem
Luigi's Mansion
Pikmin 4
Xenoblade

That's alot for Nintendo's teams to handle. In Retro's case they're not really involved with any of those and since TF didn't perform that well they could be doing anything. Would a sole mature experience bring in new audiences? Would it sell to Nintendo's current userbase? Is it a good idea to introduce a fourth competitive online multiplayer game considering MK8 kinda died after Splatoon launched? I'm guessing we're getting either Prime 4, Donkey Kong 3D World or a Zelda spinoff.

Boney

Banned
The idea that Retro is forced into making X game is so silly.

Because it's one of the most jaded, vapid and deceitful slander that has spread like wild fire in modern social media. That instead of understanding the triumphs and underachievements that came from the end product they just jump on a bandwagon on stuff like "the baby".

If you think Sakamoto, Morisawa and Hosokawa wouldn't be able to draw from their strengths and years of experience in order to make a masterpiece like Fusion or Zero mission today then I don't think we can even have a discussion because it ignores the whole context of why other m is what it is.

It's a moot point because I have no doubts that Tanabe is working with Retro on Prime 4

Toxi

Banned
Well the Other K part of the joke was made...

Personally I want to see DK suffering a panic attack upon seeing either Mario or K Rool for the millionth time.
Maybe Other K will be the anti-Other M: Instead of being a terrible new 3D vision of Metroid following the great Metroid Prime games, it will be a fantastic new 3D vision of Donkey Kong following the garbage Donkey Kong 64.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom