• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach Reveal Thread - Matchmaking/Multiplayer Details Revealed

EazyB said:
I wouldn't know, but do people at lower levels go out of their way to veto good maps in order to get rid of BR starts?
No. The only time I ever veto a map is if it's one I just played (and I'm not talking BTB) and lost miserably on. Why would anyone in their right mind want to pass over BR starts?

Blueblur1 said:
Not this again. Facepalm.jpg
Didn't take long, did it? :D

wwm0nkey

Hey guys, check your email if you where an orginal Xbox Live subscriber, basically if you where a orginal subscriber, you get 400ms points, 3 free months of Live, and best of all.....access to the Halo Reach MP beta (they will email you the code, so you wont need ODST). I wonder if we get in early?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
wwm0nkey said:
Hey guys, check your email if you where an orginal Xbox Live subscriber, basically if you where a orginal subscriber, you get 400ms points, 3 free months of Live, and best of all.....access to the Halo Reach MP beta. I wonder if we get in early?

Monkey!

Meaning we just had to have live on the original Xbox, or we had to be a beta tester?

I've got a couple of Strike Commander friends who veto BRs, but not if it's a good map. Only if it's a mediocre/bad map. I agree with them that the level/match type is more important than the AR/BR distinction.

wwm0nkey

Deadly Cyclone said:
Monkey!

Meaning we just had to have live on the original Xbox, or we had to be a beta tester?
Dude! I didn't know you went to neogaf! Lol. Also you just needed to have played xbox live on the orginal xbox with the account you has back then I believe.

Shit. My Passport account is linked to an old email address that I don't use anymore.

Does anyone know how I can re-link my gamertag to another existing passport account?

DualX

Hey, Urk. Not sure if you are doing Q & A stuff yet, but would you happen to know if Reach is going to include ingame music for multiplayer? I honestly believe that it would only increase the intensity of the match from start to finish. It did wonders for games like Splinter Cell's Versus mode as well as Call of Duty 4 and up. With the music similar to that was shown in the multiplayer vid, it could easily pull this off and perhaps you could give the rest of the folks that option to turn it off if they choose. ODST included it with FireFight, why not bring it on over to the last remaining area? And lastly, do you think you could push for "Press X to save film" at the end of a match (just like the Halo 3 beta) rather than leaving out of the party, going in to theater mode, and then saving it?

Also, haven't had the chance to write up my stuff just yet because I've been working on captures
and enjoying the hell out of Battlefield Bad Company 2
, but with that said captures are done, and they will be sent out to Bladed ASAP. Anyway, in before tldr.

My Multiplayer Trailer Impressions/Comments below:

-The Assassinations looks to be the new tea bagging at least in the sense that it would be humiliating to get destroyed like that and only to just watch him run off, in other words I love it. But with all of the assassinations shown so far, they don't really look like they are getting punched. Look at the animation where it looks like he punches that (dancin') grey Spartan in the gut (speaking of, are they including some kind of assassination from the front?), that looks like the kind of animation you would use if he were knifing the guy which seems very probable with that very badass knife Mr. Skull Helmet was using in the VGA trailer. This goes doubly when you do the animation from behind an Elite (right into the neck). Filler content perhaps until it gets perfected?

-I know we probably won't be getting the infamous M6D, but I think they've been trying really hard to give us a close second and that would obviously be above and beyond everything that we've been given thus far magnum wise. That’s all I can really ask for. Is it a mixture of the ODST (zoom, quick shots), and Halo 3 (powerful-ish 5 shot)?

-So is Invasion the newly formed FireFight mode? If that’s the case then they've successfully implemented it into multiplayer and therefore could very well be used in match-making! Also, I saw 6 players in there. =o

-Spartans vs Elites. Guess I might be able to create my dream infection gametype after all with options like this.

-Text on maps would be amaaazing for custom maps. I hope that stays in. Would definitely make for some more interesting design choices, for example: in one of my Quarantine maps (for those of you who have played them) imagine having the words "LAST STAND" highlighted on the area where you'll be holding off zombies from (in the same fashion as Splinter Cell Conviction). Just off the top of my head. People could come up with some interesting things.

I'll reserve my opinion on everything else until I get my chance to use them in the beta, but until then, love what I see.

pringles

wwm0nkey said:
Hey guys, check your email if you where an orginal Xbox Live subscriber, basically if you where a orginal subscriber, you get 400ms points, 3 free months of Live, and best of all.....access to the Halo Reach MP beta (they will email you the code, so you wont need ODST). I wonder if we get in early?
I've had xbox live since launch and no email here.. would not be surprised if this is a US-only thing, europe gets screwed over and neglected once again.

DualX2 said:
Hey, Urk. Not sure if you are doing Q & A stuff yet, but would you happen to know if Reach is going to include ingame music for multiplayer? I honestly believe that it would only increase the intensity of the match from start to finish.
Dude, get out of my head! I've been listening to the H3 and ODST soundtracks a lot in the last few days, and have been thinking that very same thing. I'd looooove to have background music for multiplayer. I'm gonna have to get the first two OSTs; I just can't get enough of them at the moment.

DualX

squidhands said:
Dude, get out of my head! I've been listening to the H3 and ODST soundtracks a lot in the last few days, and have been thinking that very same thing. I'd looooove to have background music for multiplayer. I'm gonna have to get the first two OSTs; I just can't get enough of them at the moment.
Exactly. I mean I love multiplayer, but it just seems too quiet (in this particular area) when shit isn't getting blown up or shot. Everything else is getting updated in Reach, this should too.

DualX2 said:
Exactly. I mean I love multiplayer, but it just seems too quiet (in this particular area) when shit isn't getting blown up or shot. Everything else is getting updated in Reach, this should too.
Heh, I agree, although it would need to be context sensitive for different themed levels and what not. Do want.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
DualX2 said:

This would be pretty cool, I would also like the ability too choose tracks from the games OST and put them to saved films. :D

feel

So, are people who get beta codes from MS getting early access? :D

xcubds.jpg

GhaleonEB

DualX2 said:
Turn on a custom soundtrack. Keep that crap out of my MP please.

Jarlaxle

GhaleonEB said:

It would be nice to at least have the option though. You could just turn it on or off and save it. Best of both worlds.

pringles said:
I've had xbox live since launch and no email here.. would not be surprised if this is a US-only thing, europe gets screwed over and neglected once again.
I haven't gotten an e-mail yet either and I'm in the US. They've included me in all of the other promotions (Live is Five. for example) even though I was actually signed up a month or two after release. I hope that holds true here so I can give my code to a friend who passed on ODST. Crossing my fingers.

DualX

GhaleonEB said:
I don't want a whole song being playing during the match. If you've played any title that I'm referring to, then you'd know what I'm talking about. It's not the same at all.

And besides, it being crap and keeping it out your your multiplayer isn't an argument.

I'd love situational music for MP games. I'd love some crazy epic shit to start playing when I'm carrying the flag, and have it come to a crescendo as I'm nearing the cap spot. Or get some real pumping angry music as I get deeper into a killing spree. Stuff like that might work well, just make it an option.

Striker

Dax01 said:
This statement needs clarification: The AR/BR complaints are easily the biggest complaints of Halo 3's MP gameplay from a very small minority of the MP population.
How do you reckon it is a small minority. If you are bored enough, venture to the boards at Bungie.net, notably the Optimatch.

If that overused argument is not the top complaint, I'm betting it is playlists, and either how awful they're run or how things should be changed.

Merguson said:
Last I saw, it was the top LIVE game 3 years running with stronger competition compared to Halo 2.

A flawed comparison no?
Halo 3 also benefits from MW2, COD: WaW, and COD4 being split.

That said, I hope you are not insisting Halo 3 gets populated because of Shishka's playlist decision making. You or I could do this and it would still not take a hit.

Striker said:
How do you reckon it is a small minority. If you are bored enough, venture to the boards at Bungie.net, notably the Optimatch.

If that overused argument is not the top complaint, I'm betting it is playlists, and either how awful they're run or how things should be changed.

Halo 3 also benefits from MW2, COD: WaW, and COD4 being split.

That said, I hope you are not insisting Halo 3 gets populated because of Shishka's playlist decision making. You or I could do this and it would still not take a hit.

The percentage of Halo players that go on bnet are the minority I'm willing to bet, as many as there are.

Nutter

Hydranockz said:
The percentage of Halo players that go on bnet are the minority I'm willing to bet, as many as there are.
How do you reckon that?

Since we are all pulling numbers from our asses.. Ill go out on a limb too. The majority of current Halo 3 players (as of today) most likely know what bungie.net is and use it often.

Spasm

pringles said:
Since XBL beta for me, on the same Passport account throughout, and I'm in the U.S. No email :( Haven't played H2 in forever though, and less than 900 games total.

Striker

Hydranockz said:
Sure it is, but implying that the whole argument of AR/BR is simply a GAF fad or something is wrong. Nevertheless, its pointless. People need to move on. No changes will be made for 3 after two and a half years of chance. I'm just hoping there's somebody behind the wheel in Reach that knows what they're doing.

Magni

Nutter said:
How do you reckon that?

Since we are all pulling numbers from our asses.. Ill go out on a limb too. The majority of current Halo 3 players (as of today) most likely know what bungie.net is and use it often.

For the stats, yeah. For the forums, no. AR/BR is one of the top complaints of Halo 3, along with playlist management, netcode, and melee (the patch didn't fix things, it just made the system less broken..).

We need to get Survey USA to get a poll up on this Beotch. Mostly though I have a feeling we'll all just pretend like our oppinion is either that of the majority, or that of the majority of intelligent people, and we'll continue to argue without any real data.

Out of all the ability's, im most excited for the personal bumble shield. It actually resembles the one from the Halo 3 06 trailer. I also noticed that the bumble has a backpack that you have to wear, which is kind of a bummer.

Schmitty

Wow, I cannot stop watching this trailer. Everything I want to praise has been covered. At least I have Battlefield to tide me over

Apath

Nutter said:
How do you reckon that?

Um what? If the majority of Halo players were so active as to use b.net, why the hell would Bungie bother catering to casuals?

Biggest problem with Halo 3 is maps and melee, IMO. I've never heard anyone outside of the internet complain about weapon starts.

EDIT: And why the fuck does Bungie load the map before allowing veto? Does that make any sense? As much as Gears 2 sucked, Bungie should adapt their method of showing two different options and allowing players to vote -- tie brings in a third option.

Odrion

Banned
electricpirate said:
I'd love situational music for MP games. I'd love some crazy epic shit to start playing when I'm carrying the flag,
Honest to god truth, whenever I grabbed the Flag in Halo I'd immediately start humming the Indiana Jones theme.

EazyB said:
Yeah, and jetpacks must be mandatory and not selectable because most players have them equipped...
That's different for several reasons. Given what we've seen from this trailer and Bungie's history with Halo 3, it's likely that, when it comes to starting weapons, it'll be like it was in Halo 3. Jetpacks and those are different because we know it's treated like an armor ability, and we know we can choose what armor abilities to spawn with.

Like I said, if I really had to guess I'd say weapons aren't included in the loadout. But that's very different than "weapons aren't included in the loadout" which implies he's seen something definitive about it.
I should've clarified. When I say I don't think that we'll be able to choose our own weapons to spawn with, I'm only speaking of the gametypes we know that'll be in Reach and that are in Halo 3 (Slayer, Team Slayer, King of the Hill, CTF...). It's entirely possible that in some of the new gametypes (such as Invasion) and whatever unannounced MP modes there are, players will be able to choose whatever weapon he/she spawns with.
If you could suggest one other aspect of Halo 3's MP gameplay that has disappointed more people I'd be very impressed.
I would think the spartan laser is a far bigger problem for the majority of people than what weapon they start with, or the melee.
There are three positions on the AR/BR spectrum, those that want BR/AR starts, those that want players not to spawn with BRs, and those that don't care.
Well, I think there's four, actually. Those that enjoy both weapon starts, but you could probably put that under "those that don't care." I'm under that category - I enjoy both weapon starts. I may like the AR, individually, more than the BR, but I enjoy both.
I think most of you AR whores seem to claim your in the majority by putting "those that don't care" on your side. Those that don't care are the vast majority, but I'd be willing to bet that the "don't want BR starts" is significantly smaller than those that do. I'm sure you'd be part of that gang, but kids with ADHD aside, the group that would actively protest Bungie giving players the option to choose between two non-power weapon loadouts and play the way they want to.
I agree with you that the vast majority don't care, but I disagree that it's definitive that those who want BR starts make up a greater population than those that don't. I had trouble finding a website or some Bnet posting that showed the breakdown of populations per playlists (maybe Wu can help me out here), but I'm pretty confident any would support what I'm about to say. Social playlists receive more players than ranked playlists, by a lot. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the playlists that have the lowest populations, on average, are the playlists that force players to spawn with a BR all the time (Team Throwback, MLG, MLG FFA, etc). The one big exception to this, however, is Social BTB: You always spawn with a BR. However, you can't come to any conclusion from this more so than anything else here because playlists with both weapon starts have, on average, more players than those BR-starts-only playlists. It does help you come to the conclusion that most players don't care, something I agree with you. But I don't think neither you (nor I) can say definitely which makes up the smaller population of Halo 3's base, BR starts all the time or AR starts all the time, because there isn't a AR-only playlist to compare to the BR-only playlists. The closest thing to a AR-only playlist outside of Basic Training (and that doesn't count because of the playlist restrictions, really low levels) is Team Slayer, and that's the ranked playlist that receives the most players.

Given that you and I both agree that the majority of players don't care what weapon they start with, it's easy to see why Bungie doesn't care about it or at the very least doesn't put too much emphasis on it.

Nutter said:
How do you reckon that?
There's a difference between Halo 3 players and Halo 3 players on a forum.

GhaleonEB said:
At any given time, you can find crap topping charts in all mediums.
Like Ava--

big ander said:
Like Avatar? :D
God dammit.

wwm0nkey

Hey urk, why did Shiska ban me from bungie.net for posting the email stating that people where getting Reach beta codes...and no I didnt post any links either...here is the message I got.

"You have been banned from the public forums by Shishka. The ban message is reproduced below for your reference.

Ban Expiration Date: Never

A Bungie.net Forum Moderator has banned you for violating the code of conduct and/or rules of the forum in the thread below

http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=41832937
"

Now I know I wont get unbanned, but I do not see how I violated to TOS when just informing people of this email. I just want a proper explination please.

Odrion said:
Honest to god truth, whenever I grabbed the Flag in Halo I'd immediately start humming the Indiana Jones theme.
I'd be humming it for like 2 seconds and die. Most of my grabs are "keep it alive" grabs or "get it out of their base" grabs :p

wwm0nkey said:
Hey urk, why did Shiska ban me from bungie.net for posting the email stating that people where getting Reach beta codes...and no I didnt post any links either...here is the message I got.

"You have been banned from the public forums by Shishka. The ban message is reproduced below for your reference.

Ban Expiration Date: Never

A Bungie.net Forum Moderator has banned you for violating the code of conduct and/or rules of the forum in the thread below

http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=41832937
"

Now I know I wont get unbanned, but I do not see how I violated to TOS when just informing people of this email. I just want a proper explination please.
Do you really need to know what you did wrong here?

GhaleonEB

big ander said:
Like Avatar? :D
The comparison between Avatar's run and Halo 3's on the charts is apt (as is the quality comparison). And as we like to say around here, hater's gonna hate. Nothing wrong with that. :p

Magni

Dax01 said:
That's different for several reasons. Given what we've seen from this trailer and Bungie's history with Halo 3, it's likely that, when it comes to starting weapons, it'll be like it was in Halo 3. Jetpacks and those are different because we know it's treated like an armor ability, and we know we can choose what armor abilities to spawn with.

I should've clarified. When I say I don't think that we'll be able to choose our own weapons to spawn with, I'm only speaking of the gametypes we know that'll be in Reach and that are in Halo 3 (Slayer, Team Slayer, King of the Hill, CTF...). It's entirely possible that in some of the new gametypes (such as Invasion) and whatever unannounced MP modes there are, players will be able to choose whatever weapon he/she spawns with.

I would think the spartan laser is a far bigger problem for the majority of people than what weapon they start with, or the melee.

Well, I think there's four, actually. Those that enjoy both weapon starts, but you could probably put that under "those that don't care." I'm under that category - I enjoy both weapon starts. I may like the AR, individually, more than the BR, but I enjoy both.

I agree with you that the vast majority don't care, but I disagree that it's definitive that those who want BR starts make up a greater population than those that don't. I had trouble finding a website or some Bnet posting that showed the breakdown of populations per playlists (maybe Wu can help me out here), but I'm pretty confident any would support what I'm about to say. Social playlists receive more players than ranked playlists, by a lot. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the playlists that have the lowest populations, on average, are the playlists that force players to spawn with a BR all the time (Team Throwback, MLG, MLG FFA, etc). The one big exception to this, however, is Social BTB: You always spawn with a BR. However, you can't come to any conclusion from this more so than anything else here because playlists with both weapon starts have, on average, more players than those BR-starts-only playlists. It does help you come to the conclusion that most players don't care, something I agree with you. But I don't think neither you (nor I) can say definitely which makes up the smaller population of Halo 3's base, BR starts all the time or AR starts all the time, because there isn't a AR-only playlist to compare to the BR-only playlists. The closest thing to a AR-only playlist outside of Basic Training (and that doesn't count because of the playlist restrictions, really low levels) is Team Slayer, and that's the ranked playlist that receives the most players.

Given that you and I both agree that the majority of players don't care what weapon they start with, it's easy to see why Bungie doesn't care about it or at the very least doesn't put too much emphasis on it.

There's a difference between Halo 3 players and Halo 3 players on a forum.

Like Ava--

God dammit.
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

You think the Spartan Laser, a weapon found on few maps outside of BTB playlists, is a bigger problem for most people than the weapon they start with 80% of the time or the melee they have to deal with 100% of the time?

big ander said:
I agree, I don't like the music in the game in COD and I doubt I'd like it here.
This is definitely opinion.

The music in the CoD multiplayer is GREAT for creating pace and tension in a match IMO. Hans Zimmer does this well, and should be given credit for it. The music is not very loud, not very distracting, and makes you feel like a bamf, in most people's opinion that I play online with.

So if Bungie does it, I'm sure there are those that will be happy, and those that won't. I for one will be VERY happy. Unless it's "skyline" from the ODST soundtrack.

Top Bottom