• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony GDC 2010 Press Conference (PS Move, PSWii Sports, PSWii Boxing, PSWii Party)

Owzers

Cruzader said:
Natal fans: "Lol @ party game for Move"

*E3 '10 MS announces Natal Party*
Natal Fans: "OMG that looks like fun. Natal Pary > Wii/Move party."

MS fans, you'll get your day.

This sucks, I want to see Ape Escape of all the games. LBP coop thing is lame. Only good thing is saw is that gladiator game. That brawler looks and seems terrible lol. Socom 4 integration seems forced but as long as you can use a DS3, its fine.

Microsoft's day will, hopefully, cost A LOT less.

Sony Move is basically better than Wii Motion controls although right now the tech demos look bad and it's a couple years later after EVERYONE already spent several hundred dollars on Wii stuff. I don't have a couple hundred dollars to buy more motion control peripherals. If Natal comes out at $70ish and allows for same system mutliplayer games, i'm interested.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
TTP said:
Where are u reading that?

TOKYO, March 10 /PRNewswire/ -- Sony Computer Entertainment (SCE) today announced that PlayStation®Move motion controller for PlayStation®3 (PS3™) computer entertainment system launches worldwide this fall, offering a motion-based, high-definition gaming experience unlike anything on the market. Concurrently with its launch, SCE will also release PlayStation®Move sub-controller to be used along with the motion controller for intuitive navigation of in-game characters and objects. The PlayStation Move platform, including the motion controller, sub-controller, and PlayStation®Eye camera*(1), together with a strong lineup of software titles, will deliver an innovative and highly immersive experience on the PS3 system.

The combination of the PS3 system and PlayStation Eye camera detects the precise movement, angle, and absolute position in 3D space of PlayStation Move motion controller, allowing users to intuitively play the game as if they themselves are within the game. PlayStation Move motion controller delivers unmatched accuracy through its advanced motion sensors, including a three-axis gyroscope, a three-axis accelerometer, and a terrestrial magnetic field sensor, as well as a color-changing sphere that is tracked by PlayStation Eye camera. Through PlayStation Move system, both fast and subtle motion can be detected, whether the user is swinging a tennis racket, or painting with a brush. With PlayStation Move motion controller, users can provide direct input through action buttons and an analog trigger, while receiving physical feedback from rumble functionality and visual feedback from the sphere's ability to display a variety of different colors. Furthermore, PlayStation Eye camera can capture the player's voice or image, enabling augmented reality experiences.

The newly announced PlayStation Move sub-controller is a one-handed controller, developed to further expand the game play options that PlayStation Move games can offer*(2). PlayStation Move sub-controller features a sleek curved design that pairs with the motion controller and comes with an analog stick and directional buttons that allow users to easily control the game when moving characters or choosing a direction. Like all other Wireless Controllers for the PS3 system, it comes with a built in lithium-ion rechargeable battery as well as Bluetooth® technology, enabling the controller to transfer the input information wirelessly to the PS3 system without a cable. PlayStation Move motion controller and sub-controller will further broaden the gaming experience on the PS3 system for all genres, from games that use one motion controller to games that use both controllers.

The introduction of PlayStation Move controllers has been well received within the industry and now 36 third party developers and publishers*(3) have decided to support PlayStation Move platform. In fiscal year 2010, SCE Worldwide Studios will also release more than 20 games that are either dedicated to or supported with the PlayStation Move platform.

SCE, with strong support from software developers and publishers, will deploy various measures to enhance the PlayStation Move software title line-up and vigorously promote the PS3 platform.

*(1) Users will need to use the PlayStation Eye camera to enjoy PlayStation Move motion controller on PS3.

*(2) DUALSHOCK® or SIXAXIS® Wireless Controller can also be used in place of the sub controller.

*(3) Please refer to the attached list below for detail.

Explains why they wanted all the wireless broadcast stuff turned off as per Gamespot.

And yes, the fighting game looks rough. Though they just said they'd be including knee, elbow and head moves...they seemed to be looking at stance with the eye also, so it looks like that's going to mix controller and general body motion.

Facepalm at Sony selling the Move and sub-controller separately.

Double-facepalm at the guy on the GS stream not knowing what "wrapping it up" means.

Weenerz said:
Can't wait to see the MS advertisement with just 2 empty hands pointing at a TV.

And then have those use whatever the screen is showing, which happens to be exactly the point.

I'm guessing Natal will come with wristbands though, since the camera doesn't seem to like non-white people. :|

clav

farnham said:
funny i never had problems with call of duty (i played 3 and 5 on the wii)

never played red steel though
I gave up on Call of Duty 3 for the Wii at the first scene that required motion gestures to get out. The motions didn't register, and I was thus stuck.

Ashes

Banned
They should have just called it playstation motion and left it at that. The controllers should just motion controllers... I don't even know what its called now... movers?

"The Shoot" looks fun. bring back arcade shooters.

4422321815_9a867d6f03_o.jpg

sillymonkey321 said:
Microsoft's day will, hopefully, cost A LOT less.

Sony Move is basically better than Wii Motion controls although right now the tech demos look bad and it's a couple years later after EVERYONE already spent several hundred dollars on Wii stuff. I don't have a couple hundred dollars to buy more motion control peripherals. If Natal comes out at $70ish and allows for same system mutliplayer games, i'm interested.

I'm pretty sure there will be offline multiplayer games for Natal. At least there were a few in the promo video.

The dev just wanted to say "the Motion launch" before correcting it to "Move" again, it sounded like. The name really seems like a last-minute decision.

Mush

Anth0ny said:
This is too funny.

I have a bad feeling about Sony's E3 Press Conference :lol
Funny, I have the exact opposite feeling. Get this me too motion crap out of the way and unload at E3.

OnPoint

omg rite said:
That's frighteningly similar to the Wii promo pictures. I'm not sure how many other ways you could do promo pics but it's still amusing.

I sure hope you weren't expecting anything else. :lol

I just want my Ape Escape 4.

Taken from Nintendo's website.
3023l8i.jpg

Edit: Wow... beaten badly.

Dogenzaka said:
Pretty much.

This will work splendidly for games that are designed well around it, and for FPS.

There were a couple of showings that were definitely not rip-offs. Besides, just because echochrome wasn't shown doesn't mean it's not in development or can't be developed for the controller. They're trying to reel in developers with this. It was only formally shown today as something other than a concept.

So would the Wii Remote, and yet few games do.
And now, we're talking about an infinitely smaller userbase...

farnham said:
at least sony gets that thing right

this list is already much bigger then the third party support nintendo got since 2006

The list is impressive, but how many will actually release games? I remember bazillions of third parties pledging support for EyeToy, 360 Vision Camera and MotionPlus, but jack shit has come of it. Let's hope these publishers actually follow through.

Koren

TTP said:
Where are u reading that?
The PR says there's a 3 axis magnetometer, with is a VERY nice addition. This kind of thing is really good and can give you an absolute direction (especially yaw).

Than can work like the sensor bar for recalibration.

The only problem is when I used this, I found it quite difficult to calibrate, you have to make full circles with it each time the environment change to calibrate it.

Still, very good news.

TTP said:
Is the sub-controller motion sensor equipped? What about rumble? Is it in the Move controller?
No, and no, as far as I know.

farnham

Banned
DMeisterJ said:
I guess the Wii has not taught people anything.

Calling the Move a failure before it comes out is the ultimate failure.

--

Anyway, I'm still on HYPE/10. SOCOM 4 looked good, the boxing looked fun, and so did eyepet. While the rest didn't look good at all, they weren't games I'd be remotely interested in, and to the people that will buy them, the games looking like that won't matter (look at the Wii library). I do hope more 'core' games are announced come E3, but I'd buy it just for SOCOM 4 and RE5: Gold.

uh i look at the wii library and games that sell well usually have mario written on it or are part of the wii series

if the wii has thought us anything it is that you have to be innovative have cheap hardware and killerapps

the move as it stands now is pretty much copying the wii, is a lot more expensive then the market leader and there is no 20 million units + game for it right now

gofreak said:
Explains why they wanted all the wireless broadcast stuff turned off as per Gamespot.

And yes, the fighting game looks rough. Though they just said they'd be including knee, elbow and head moves...they seemed to be looking at stance with the eye also, so it looks like that's going to mix controller and general body motion.

I was watching the guy during it, though. The character didn't weave with him. It seemed almost like he was moving the two Moves in one direction or the other between punches. It's hard to tell though but it certainly didn't look like one-to-one body tracking for the fighter's physical movements.

Andvary said:
Wow, a lot of nintendo fans feeling insecure.

Pretty much. Where is Kratos when you need him.
Also, those complaining about Lack of dual analog sticks, I'm sure you can use two sub-controllers and let the other one act as the 2nd stick (with X and O being mapped Triangle and Square).

All up the developer, I suppose.

That said, why need two dual-analog sticks? I never got it. Just use Dualshock 3 for that shit. PSMove can work as the second analog stick.

Gomu Gomu

DMPrince said:
"The Shoot" looks fun. bring back arcade shooters.
Oh man, you are going to see A LOT of on rail shooters on this thing. believe me. And you know what, a developer will put a fake plastic gun that you can insert the Move in it, and then you'll feel just like the good old days of the arcade.

Dogenzaka

Banned
They've had the last three years to do that. Why start now just because you're making them for Sony instead of Nintendo?
-Better hardware capabilities and online features
-Uhh, 1st party devs can't develop outside of the Sony platform?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
They mention elsewhere that SCE will have 20 internal titles that either are dedicated or support Move by the end of fiscal 2010 (March 2011).

Truespeed

Gauging from the reaction of the Move in this thread, 10% will buy it to use as intended and 90% will shove it up their ass.

yurinka

Spasm said:
Not without rumble.

gofreak said:
TOKYO, March 10 /PRNewswire/ -- Sony Computer Entertainment (SCE) today announced that PlayStation®Move motion controller for PlayStation®3 (PS3™) computer entertainment system launches worldwide this fall, offering a motion-based, high-definition gaming experience unlike anything on the market. Concurrently with its launch, SCE will also release PlayStation®Move sub-controller to be used along with the motion controller for intuitive navigation of in-game characters and objects. The PlayStation Move platform, including the motion controller, sub-controller, and PlayStation®Eye camera*(1), together with a strong lineup of software titles, will deliver an innovative and highly immersive experience on the PS3 system.

The combination of the PS3 system and PlayStation Eye camera detects the precise movement, angle, and absolute position in 3D space of PlayStation Move motion controller, allowing users to intuitively play the game as if they themselves are within the game. PlayStation Move motion controller delivers unmatched accuracy through its advanced motion sensors, including a three-axis gyroscope, a three-axis accelerometer, and a terrestrial magnetic field sensor, as well as a color-changing sphere that is tracked by PlayStation Eye camera. Through PlayStation Move system, both fast and subtle motion can be detected, whether the user is swinging a tennis racket, or painting with a brush. With PlayStation Move motion controller, users can provide direct input through action buttons and an analog trigger, while receiving physical feedback from rumble functionality and visual feedback from the sphere's ability to display a variety of different colors. Furthermore, PlayStation Eye camera can capture the player's voice or image, enabling augmented reality experiences.

The newly announced PlayStation Move sub-controller is a one-handed controller, developed to further expand the game play options that PlayStation Move games can offer*(2). PlayStation Move sub-controller features a sleek curved design that pairs with the motion controller and comes with an analog stick and directional buttons that allow users to easily control the game when moving characters or choosing a direction. Like all other Wireless Controllers for the PS3 system, it comes with a built in lithium-ion rechargeable battery as well as Bluetooth® technology, enabling the controller to transfer the input information wirelessly to the PS3 system without a cable. PlayStation Move motion controller and sub-controller will further broaden the gaming experience on the PS3 system for all genres, from games that use one motion controller to games that use both controllers.

The introduction of PlayStation Move controllers has been well received within the industry and now 36 third party developers and publishers*(3) have decided to support PlayStation Move platform. In fiscal year 2010, SCE Worldwide Studios will also release more than 20 games that are either dedicated to or supported with the PlayStation Move platform.

SCE, with strong support from software developers and publishers, will deploy various measures to enhance the PlayStation Move software title line-up and vigorously promote the PS3 platform.

*(1) Users will need to use the PlayStation Eye camera to enjoy PlayStation Move motion controller on PS3.

*(2) DUALSHOCK® or SIXAXIS® Wireless Controller can also be used in place of the sub controller.

*(3) Please refer to the attached list below for detail.
Rumble confirmed. So now Nintendo fanboys can't even argue the Wiimote is a better dildo than PS Move.:lol

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Gomu Gomu said:
Oh man, you are going to see A LOT of on rail shooters on this thing. believe me. And you know what, a developer will put a fake plastic gun that you can insert the Move in it, and then you'll feel just like the good old days of the arcade.
...except the sphere needs to be exposed at all times, so any attachments to this thing won't work at all.

Corto

Through PlayStation Move system, both fast and subtle motion can be detected, whether the user is swinging a tennis racket, or painting with a brush. With PlayStation Move motion controller, users can provide direct input through action buttons and an analog trigger, while receiving physical feedback from rumble functionality and visual feedback from the sphere's ability to display a variety of different colors.

Nice to have that, I guess it will add an extra layer of "weight" to some moves/actions....

Top Bottom