• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

Major spoilers for all the games should be spoilered.

Also, Dantis needs to update his OP too.

Yeah but what defines major? Stuff like the killer of P4 and General Endgame stuff is obvious, but what about character related plot points or dungeons? Does
Shinji dying
count as a spoiler?

Sophia

Yeah but what defines major? Stuff like the killer of P4 and General Endgame stuff is obvious, but what about character related plot points or dungeons? Does
Shinji dying
count as a spoiler?

Yes, of course that counts as a spoiler. It's a major plot twist within Persona 3.

I made a post sometime back detailing what I personally considered spoilers, but I'd have to dig back through the thread to find it.

EDIT: Found it. I don't think we came to an agreement on everything (specifically, the optional boss that caused the drama last time), but here's where I stand on it:

Here's my guideline on what I personally consider spoilers in a general sense. I mostly stick to what Atlus themselves considers spoilers and don't deviate too much. The only exception is the obvious one in Persona 4. Although I tend to err on the side of caution whenever possible. If you've browsed TVTropes and know the layout of the pages there, you have a good idea. ALL GAME SPOILERS IN THE SPOILER TAGS AHEAD:

• Persona 1 SEBEC Route: Anything from late end game,
    including Takahisa Kandori's goals, Maki's identity, the final boss, etc.
  • Persona 1 Snow Queen Route: Anything from after you finish the three towers, anything regarding the bosses of the three towers.
  • Persona 2 Innocent Sin/Eternal Punishment: Anything in the final third/second half of the game.
    Essentially, anything related to the identities of the two Jokers. Thus mentioning that Jun is a party member is what I'd call okay, but not mentioning that he's also the Joker in Innocent Sin.
  • Persona 3/FES/Portable: Anything from the later parts of the game, as well as basically almost all of The Answer as it's a basically an epilogue. Those who have played the game probably have a good idea of what I mean from later parts. This also includes the optional boss as they are a plot relevant, if minor, story character.
    Essentially, the full moon shadows are okay, but Shiniro's death and Ikutsuki's betrayal onward isn't. Ryoji himself I don't consider a spoiler, but his identity and role in the story is.
  • Persona 4: Here's the tricky one. I don't consider who's a party member a spoiler because they're ALL on the box in some manner, and different regions have different party members on the back of the box. Besides the obvious later/final third, what I do consider a spoiler is anything from after the culture festival, basically.
    So Adachi being the murderer, Marie's identity, anything regarding the dungeons, etc. As well as Margaret being the bonus boss and such.
  • Persona 4 Arena and Ultimax: Any story details not in arcade mode, pretty much. As well as
    Adachi because mentioning him would spoil Persona 4 itself.
  • Persona Q: Same as Atlus here, anything from the fourth dungeon onward.
I can't really give input on Dancing All Night because I haven't played that so.... But that kind of gives you an idea of how I look at it myself.

We're getting close to a new OT anyway, right?

We're actually not too close. Only 14k out of 20k posts. Got a little bit to go.

Regardless, Dantis should be keeping the original post up to date anyhow. Nobody else can change it, and there are broken images in there on top of the rules change.

FluxWaveZ

I've been paying some attention to the YouTube uploaded recent Persona 5 videos not by Atlus, and I'm surprised and happy that there doesn't appear to have been mass takedowns like every other time. Maybe it's because atlustube realizes that it's just another form of promotion, or maybe it's because Persona 5 is starting to get marketed in earnest so they feel like they can ease up a bit? Either way, it's nice. Having to walk on egg shells to share any P5 media before via YouTube was always the weirdest thing.

There was an upload of all the trailers i saw yesterday and there was some weird ass motion filter on it that was super disorienting. I assume it was there to avert copyright bots but still.

Glad to know no one will have to do that anymore.

FluxWaveZ

I never understood this obsession with Lotus Juice being a part of Persona 5. So many fans cling to the past with this series so much, and just want more of what was there before. Glad Atlus can move on, even if some won't.

Dantis

Major spoilers for all the games should be spoilered.

Also, Dantis needs to update his OP too.

I should. I'll sort it now, whilst I have a spare minute.

EDIT: It is done. Sorry for the delay. I've been busy lately, and just got behind with it.

Please don't beat me.

Setsu00

I never understood this obsession with Lotus Juice being a part of Persona 5. So many fans cling to the past with this series so much, and just want more of what was there before. Glad Atlus can move on, even if some won't.

I absolutely agree. LJ wasn't in P4, so what's the big deal with him not returning for P5 either?

Sophia

I should. I'll sort it now, whilst I have a spare minute.

Thanks. :)

I updated my earlier post with the post on where I personally stand on spoilers for each game (except DAN,which I still haven't played), so might be of use to you when rewriting it.

Speculation time! Tagged for safety, potential morgana identity and Mystery Man 9 codename inside.

So in that 20th anniversary image, the one with the AoA portraits, somebody with very good eyes spotted that behind Mystery Man 9 are the letters Cr. Could Crow be this guys codename?

Also, we can see that Morgana has 'Mona' in their image. And someone has speculated that this could be the word Monarch. And since punchy-chan is supposedly Queen, could this imply that Morgana is the King and is actually a male?

Makio

I just noticed it was MC working at the restaurant... *facepalm*

They made very clear these guys (phantom thieves) are not after the money (i think), but is kinda funny to see the guy working for a "living" specially in a shitty work like a fast food restaurant when he simply you know steal the money...

pgharavi

Banned
Apologies for pulling a "question before the question" - but would you guys mind if I asked some rookie questions regarding Persona 4 Golden?

I nabbed a PS TV and P4:G based solely on the strength of the reviews and word of mouth. I've never played a game in this series before. I'm kinda like 'wtf is going on right now??' based on the first hour or two.

Apologies for pulling a "question before the question" - but would you guys mind if I asked some rookie questions regarding Persona 4 Golden?

I nabbed a PS TV and P4:G based solely on the strength of the reviews and word of mouth. I've never played a game in this series before. I'm kinda like 'wtf is going on right now??' based on the first hour or two.

Go for it. We may be in P5 hype mode atm, but we'll always talk about the other games when prompted.

Zolo

Ask anything you want. That said, the first hour or two is likely still in the introduction/tutorial phase.

Sophia

Yeah, welcome to Persona 4. The introduction is long. Eventually you'll be given full control to do as you please.

everyone has to start somewhere so don't fret to ask. Someone is bound to answer any question. One tip which isn't for me personally but don't post to blame the game if you find it hard. I personally won't care but someone is bound to be defensive and will just give you a headache. Hope you enjoy it.

_Ryo_

They made very clear these guys (phantom thieves) are not after the money (i think), but is kinda funny to see the guy working for a "living" specially in a shitty work like a fast food restaurant when he simply you know steal the money...

In the staff interview there's a
suitcase that is just loaded with money on the table and Ryuji says something like "H-how much is this!??" With his character profile's eyes bugging like crazy.

I found that really hilarious.

and it's a gyudon (beef bowl) restaurant too. Hmmm. HMMMMMMM.

Damn you. I haven't been able to taste for almost 2 - 1/2 years. I wanna enjoy a nice savoury steak bowl so bad. :(

It works out for everyone this way. Persona 5 is able to have its own personality and lotus can work on his own music.

Indeed. Meguro was going for something completely different, just like he did when going from 3 to 4, not only was it obvious he would want a different singer but it's fundamental to give the game its own identity.
For P5 in particular this was very important, after the spin-off saturation of the previous games it was important to really make the game stand out from everything that came before it and clearly separate it from the prequels. Fortunately they succeeded, giving the game a very distinct personality, not only with the soundtrack but also in terms of visual style and tone. The fears of P4 stuff bleeding into P5, not to mention the carnival of stupid with the whole Sho being the protagonist thing disappeared instantly.

People argue that LJ (as well as Yumi) returned for the spin-offs but those are cross-overs between P3 and P4 so it makes complete sense to have the singers from both games involved, not to mention that this collaboration gave birth to a lot of fantatic music.
I'm huge fan of Shihoko and I still wouldn't want her in P5, not to mention that it allowed her to finally release a solo album which turned out fantastic.

But yeah, I help moderate LJ's fanclub on FB and this came up a lot, specially because he's very active there and people were hoping he'd give something away.

DNAbro

Gonna do some analysis about the bosses we may be fighting and who exactly they are.
This is kind of in depth and may not want to be read by those sensitive to potential spoilers.

Mystic posted on twitter that the first boss's name is Asmodeus who is commonly associated with the deadly sin of Lust. He also pointed out that Asmodeus is classified as a major demon or a "Prince of Hell" by many.
UETQd4U.png

The main princes according to Wikipedia are.

Lucifer: pride
Mammon: greed
Asmodeus: lust
Leviathan: envy
Beelzebub: gluttony
Satan: wrath
Belphegor: sloth

another interpretation is

Beelzebub: envy (envious)
Sathanus: wrath (wraþþe)
Abaddon: sloth (slowȝ)
Mammon: greed - avarice (avarouse) & covetousness (covetise)
Belphegor: gluttony (glotouns)
Asmodeus: lust (leccherouse) - later reported as using the name Asmodeum

but I think if this theory is right, they will use the top one.

First we have this guy
6978yN7.png

His appearance is remarkably similar to Beelzebub who has been in many SMT before
http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net...elzebub.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20090219082929

The fact that he is surrounded by money is usually an obvious sign of greed, but going with this interpretation he would be Gluttony.

Next we have this guy
kCqLBjo.png

who I believe turns into
mIlPGUp.png

I'm going to guess that he is Mammon/Greed. We know Yusuke's mentor was stealing/selling his paintings(at least I that was confirmed right? I remember reading something like that), which I first thought would be envy, but outright stealing and selling sounds more like Greed. I can't find a good depiction of Mammon to prove this would be it, but I'm guessing they are taking liberties.

Now for something I bet most people missed, in Hashino's interview you can see this scene
eA0LTYB.png

This is wild speculation, but the figure in the background looks like a boss to me. I'm proposing that is Belphegor/Sloth. The fact that it has people fighting for him, and he is sitting down, makes me assume this. Also SMT demon for good measure.
http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net...est/scale-to-width-down/250?cb=20080806040210

Next
D2Hg3AX.png

Guessing this is another boss and obviously it's supposed to be sphinx. Going by what's left Satan or Leviathan would have to be it but not so sure about this one. Biggest problem in the theory. There are those two other terms that appeared with Morgana

So thoughts?

Setsu00

Does anyone else remember that Ganesha was called the "Unlucky Elephant Prince" in an earlier screenshot? There are more names like this in the new footage: Tengu is the "Jesting Yamabushi", Nue is the "chimera that sings at night" and Kumbhanda is the "vitality absorbing neighbour". Agathion and Silky, however, are presented with their actual names.

It makes me wonder whether we have to analyze our enemies before we get to see their names. Some of these names are also similiar to the names of Shadows from P3 and P4.

CrazyDude

Gonna do some analysis about the bosses we may be fighting and who exactly they are.
This is kind of in depth and may not want to be read by those sensitive to potential spoilers.

Mystic posted on twitter that the first boss's name is Asmodeus who is commonly associated with the deadly sin of Lust. He also pointed out that Asmodeus is classified as a major demon or a "Prince of Hell" by many.
UETQd4U.png

The main princes according to Wikipedia are.

Mammon: greed
Asmodeus: lust
Leviathan: envy
Beelzebub: gluttony
Satan: wrath
Belphegor: sloth

another interpretation is

Beelzebub: envy (envious)
Sathanus: wrath (wraþþe)
Abaddon: sloth (slowȝ)
Mammon: greed - avarice (avarouse) & covetousness (covetise)
Belphegor: gluttony (glotouns)
Asmodeus: lust (leccherouse) - later reported as using the name Asmodeum

but I think if this theory is right, they will use the top one.

First we have this guy
6978yN7.png

His appearance is remarkably similar to Beelzebub who has been in many SMT before
http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net...elzebub.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20090219082929

The fact that he is surrounded by money is usually an obvious sign of greed, but going with this interpretation he would be Gluttony.

Next we have this guy
kCqLBjo.png

who I believe turns into
mIlPGUp.png

I'm going to guess that he is Mammon/Greed. We know Yusuke's mentor was stealing/selling his paintings(at least I that was confirmed right? I remember reading something like that), which I first thought would be envy, but outright stealing and selling sounds more like Greed. I can't find a good depiction of Mammon to prove this would be it, but I'm guessing they are taking liberties.

Now for something I bet most people missed, in Hashino's interview you can see this scene
eA0LTYB.png

This is wild speculation, but the figure in the background looks like a boss to me. I'm proposing that is Belphegor/Sloth. The fact that it has people fighting for him, and he is sitting down, makes me assume this. Also SMT demon for good measure.
http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net...est/scale-to-width-down/250?cb=20080806040210

Next
D2Hg3AX.png

Guessing this is another boss and obviously it's supposed to be sphinx. Going by what's left Satan or Leviathan would have to be it but not so sure about this one. Biggest problem in the theory. There are those two other terms that appeared with Morgana

So thoughts?

Fly guys is standing in front of a safe, I am pretty sure that he is greed.

DNAbro

Fly guys is standing in front of a safe, I am pretty sure that he is greed.
Doesn't really fit in with Beelzebub then.

Also
Gluttony (Latin: gula), derived from the Latin gluttire meaning to gulp down or swallow, means over-indulgence and over-consumption of food, drink, or wealth items to the point of extravagance or waste

It could still fit. I thought it was going to be greed before, but it works better with this theory.

84X

Banned
Really loving everything new we've seen. Persona 5 finally looks like the natural next step in the mainline series they've been asserting. Err... except hacker-chan is already nothing but a meme, winning out in popularity online mostly because people see themselves in her. I mean, it's really great to be able to really connect with a character but I just felt she came off as the most dull in the trailer. Guess while I'm grilling them, biker girl seems cool enough but retreading the "party member is the student council president" thing is kinda lame but probably not a big deal in the end... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Just expressing some thoughts given the trailer only. Here's some hype as contrast:

Ryuji and Yusuke have me really excited as they both look like such fantastic characters. MC looks waaaay more appealing too because they've fixed a lot of the stupid smirk shit that was plaguing the game. I swear, the part of the trailer with the glass breaking effect and him landing is the hypest shit ever. Above all else, the game is looking gorgeous and is probably the slickest designed game I've ever seen.

Edit: Oh, also want to express how hype biker girl's persona is! Vroom Vroom!

~snip~
*EightyFourX drew this

Seeing as how this got posted I may as well post some commentary. My biker and hacker sketches were done when I had been up for way too long due to P5 hype and so I feel I muddied them in places. For instance I was too exhausted to even check if hacker ever actually wears a skirt and it turns out she doesn't in any outfit we've seen. Guess she's a deadbeat who doesn't even attend class or something. Pretty happy with how Frenchy turned out however and hope people can enjoy the sketches regardless.

daevious

I find it hilarious that the most critical person of P5 is Dantis, by a country mile. Like I don't think I've seen any other complaints anywhere, apart from maybe the pandering stuff.

That just what makes Dantis Dantis. :3

And it's better to have someone be the critic because it helps the community to define why they disagree rather than saying "No U" and shutting themselves up.

Makio

Err... except hacker-chan is already nothing but a meme, winning out in popularity online mostly because people see themselves in her. I mean, it's really great to be able to really connect with a character but I just felt she came off as the most dull in the trailer.

For i see / read so far beside hacker-chan insane amount of popularity is

Queen Biker Girl is basically Yukari / Mitsuru 2.0 , Yukari because she looks piss off all the shots she had in the trailer , so she got a awful temper / personality , Mitsuru because the motorcycle and student president thingy.

Anne got send into the oblivion , she is "the worst" girl now, because my hacker -chan and Adieu chan are the flavors of the week.

There no way Adieu Chan is japanese , she most be french ... and that made her Mitsuru 2.0 (despite only Dub Mitsuru speaks french).

Yusuke is GAY GAY GAY 100% GAY .... his looks , his personality (which we dont see anything so far) GAY GAY GAY .... No matter if he ends up be straight , he is going to be headcannon gay like Naoto is a transexual , because we say so.

Ryuji sucks , is basically Yosuke 2.0 or Junpei 3.0

Ryuji X ANN OTP ... she lands her head over him , 1000% they are dating fo sure.

The other guy is a secret , he must be a traitor or the killer of the game (is a killer in this game) but bad guy for sure ...

And other stupid things i dont remember right now , gotta love how this fandom label characters with a couple of shots and lines from trailers.
At least wait until play the game and after made your stupid / twisted perception of the characters.

FluxWaveZ

Yusuke is GAY GAY GAY %1000 GAY .... his looks , his personality (which we dont see anything so far) GAY GAY GAY .... No matter if he ends up be straight , he is going to be headcannon gay like Naoto is a transexual , because we say so.

I really think this is a problematic viewpoint for multiple reasons.

Sophia

Makio please tell me you realize the hypocrisy of labeling everyone while complaining about the "fandom" labeling characters? :|

EDIT: Oh, I think that was his point. It was hard to tell given the way he worded it tho.

FluxWaveZ

Makio please tell me you realize the hypocrisy of labeling everyone while complaining about the "fandom" labeling characters? :|

I think Makio was using examples that are currently being used as labels by the fandom, not what Makio personally thinks.

Sophia

I think Makio was using examples that are currently being used as labels by the fandom, not what Makio personally thinks.

Yeah I realized it right as you posted, lol. Sorry about that, Makio.

I don't think the fandom has really meme-ifed the characters tho. They're just instantly likable characters for a lot of people. The reaction to them is pretty similar to the reaction to FeMC when she was first announced.

Makio

Yeah my bad , i wasnt talking about the fandom as a whole just that little part out there which i say earlier put Naoto into trans or Kanji 100% gay just because they want to despite the games made clear that is not true at all.

Is amazing we already see these problems with a characters we dont have / know anything about it.

And just to be clear , i dont have problems if someone ends up being a gay or a trans like already see some theory about Sakura being a dude based in the other guys reaction in the beach.

If they want a gay / lesbian character go for it , if they want do it a dateable option good too.

But at least wait until we know anything about the games before put it into labels than maybe can be proven wrong once again.

Not making like 70% of his artwork or personality traits be gay or call names to Atlus if dont make him gay based in his looks and his comparision to Jun.

PD: I know everyone have their opinion and first impressions about the characters and stuff (like Sakura being the most popular character right now) but say Ann is a "whore" because his suit , Queen being a "bitch" because her temper and Ryuji a "fucking pervert" for two lines of dialogue and 2 shots is take it too far and the other example i give in the other posts

Top Bottom