• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

Sophia

The Necronomicon is awesome. Probably one of my favorite designs so far, especially given what the Necronomicon is in Lovecraftian lore.

Squire

Banned
I think it's entirely fair to look at something and say, what interpretations of this are possible, and furthermore say, the authors should have been aware of the alternate interpretations available of this and taken steps to change, clarify or otherwise avoid the unfortunate implications.

Also they really should not have doubled down with that dance instructor in P4D.

Agreed. I'm less a fan of trying to gatekeep which interpretations are valid.

I disagree with this part. You shouldn't alter a work because of how people would prefer to interpret something.

Fwiw, Hashino himself would almost certainly disagree you. Any artist that tries to impart a specific message(s) in their work is absolutely going to take a step back from it and consider the ways in which it could be interpreted/misinterpreted. Otherwise, what's the point? It's the reason we know Persona 3 is about seeing the value in the life we're given and making peace with the fact that life - and all else - must end, as opposed to just being about despair and nihilism, for instance.

Dantis

The Necronomicon is awesome. Probably one of my favorite designs so far, especially given what the Necronomicon is in Lovecraftian lore.

What do you mean by that? I'd imagine the implication is just that it gives ginger girl a lot of power.

Fwiw, Hashino himself would almost certainly disagree you.

I'd be willing to bet you have absolutely no evidence for this whatsoever.

You should step back and say "Is this going to be an issue?", but you shouldn't step back and say "A minority of fans will want Naoto to be trans. Let's make Naoto trans or change her plotline entirely."

Squire

Banned
What do you mean by that? I'd imagine the implication is just that it gives ginger girl a lot of power.

I'd be willing to bet you have absolutely no evidence for this whatsoever.

You'd lose that bet.

Every new Persona game hopes to “address a problem that we see in society at that time, especially in Japan where the games take place,” said Hashino. “We simply can’t ignore the current social issues when depicting our characters’ dark, hidden sides, their internal struggles, and the enemies they oppose.”

https://killscreen.com/articles/the...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

And of course that isn't the first time he's more or less said that exact same thing. There's a thematic goal at the core of Persona's narrative. If they want it to be successful in that regard, they definitely consider different ways it can/will be viewed.

Edit: I see you walked back your comments.

Edit 2: I'm curious what you mean though? They shouldn't concern themselves with... specifics? Why?

Dantis

You'd lose that bet.

https://killscreen.com/articles/the...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

And of course that isn't the first time he's more or less said that exact same thing. There's a thematic goal at the core of Persona's narrative. If they want it to be successful in that regard, they definitely consider different ways it can/will be viewed.

Edit: I see you walked back your comments.

That quote is completely different to what you said.

And I elaborated, I didn't backtrack. No need to be so hostile, dear.

Sophia

The Necronomicon is a grimoire of knowledge used to summon ancient gods into this world. So it being a UFO (that is, out of this world) being used by a navigator character with all sorts of knowledge and characters written over it is pretty neat in design.

Squire

Banned
That quote is completely different to what you said.

And I elaborated, I didn't backtrack. No need to be so hostile, dear.

I'm... not being hostile? You backtracked. You should avoid calling people things like "dear"; that's snarky, but it's gendered too, which isn't great.

What I said applies pretty well, but if you can't have the discussion, fine. Do what you always do and "agree to disagree" or just drop it or whatever.

Dantis

The Necronomicon is a grimoire of knowledge used to summon ancient gods into this world. So it being a UFO (that is, out of this world) being used by a navigator character with all sorts of knowledge and characters written over it is pretty neat in design.

I... guess? And I'd be willing to bet that Soejima took that into account when creating it. I don't like the idea of it being a Persona though, and I find its design rather boring.

yuuki

I mean, not really.

The Persona is meant to be a reflection of the character to some degree. I guess I've always seen it as like a deity manifestation of the character. A UFO and a bike are just objects.

the nercomoniom contains all kind of knowledge that may as well could be used for very bad thing if used by the wrong person. Some may even see it as an evil book.

This would fit quite well to Fubuka. She appears to be an hacker something that is mostily scoffed at by the general Public and gets shuned by the same. yet they have an huge amount of knowledge in the Field, Which in turn may as well makes them fearsome for most people since nearly everything in todays world is more or less controlled by the vary devices they are "toying" with.

In that regards its an good fit. Just the ufo design is questionable.

yuuki

How do we know it's specifically a UFO? Is that what the text says?

well it looks like an ufo in the data sheet but we have seen before that the persona you fight against can look very different then the acutal persona. So until we know more we can just assume it will be close to it.

edit:

and an ufo has something in common with hacking from the look of an normal person. Both are things they can imagine how the work.

Where are people getting that Sakura starts out antagonistic? I know she says something to the effect of "looks like I have to save them" but that could be a lot of things.

Where are people getting that Sakura starts out antagonistic? I know she says something to the effect of "looks like I have to save them" but that could be a lot of things.

She's got that evil, cackling "bubble bubble, toil, and trouble! Fire burn and cauldron bubble" look when we first see her.

It's probably not the case, but you never know.

Squire

Banned
well it looks like an ufo in the data sheet but we have seen before that the persona you fight against can look very different then the acutal persona. So until we know more we can just assume it will be close to it.

edit:

and an ufo has something in common with hacking from the look of an normal person. Both are things they can imagine how the work.

Right. I'm thinking it might be a drone as opposed to a UFO, in the space ship sense. Drones are far more explicitly tied to hacking and also surveillance, of course.

Zolo

Fwiw, Hashino himself would almost certainly disagree you. Any artist that tries to impart a specific message(s) in their work is absolutely going to take a step back from it and consider the ways in which it could be interpreted/misinterpreted. Otherwise, what's the point? It's the reason we know Persona 3 is about seeing the value in the life we're given and making peace with the fact that life - and all else - must end, as opposed to just being about despair and nihilism, for instance.

You should step back and say "Is this going to be an issue?", but you shouldn't step back and say "A minority of fans will want Naoto to be trans. Let's make Naoto trans or change her plotline entirely."

For what it's worth, I kinda agree with both of you. An author should be aware of ways there story or writing can be interpreted and whatever unfortunate implications there can be. That said, even if that is the case, that doesn't mean it should necessarily be changed depending on factors such as if the interpretations still fall somewhat in lines with the message the author is going for or if the interpretation is something that only a minority of people who stretch things out to see what they want to out of it would see it.

Also, the UFO has a gargoyle on it.

I was watching the recent subbed Hashino interview just now, and he mentions
breaking into a bank
, then says something about 'the dilemma of choosing whether or not to do it'. I wonder if that hints at choices that actually affect the story like in Catherine? Or optional dungeons maybe?

I was watching the recent subbed Hashino interview just now, and he mentions
breaking into a bank
, then says something about 'the dilemma of choosing whether or not to do it'. I wonder if that hints at choices that actually affect the story like in Catherine? Or optional dungeons maybe?

Will you choose to be a gutless do-gooder, or a criminal consumed by their pathological greed?

That actually doesn't sound like too bad a pitch...

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
tumblr_o6pq87DpOS1svkfqgo1_500.gif

I just noticed Alice. Must be the new "Die for me!" spell.

Will you choose to be a gutless do-gooder, or a criminal consumed by their pathological greed?

That actually doesn't sound like too bad a pitch...

This actually ties into my theory that the Velvet Room is what it is as a warning. If you can play the game in a way where the cast abuses their power, it might lead to a bad end. Given how Protag looks like he's absolutely estatic about his power, this is totally a possibility.

There's a new fansubbed version of the PV that translates nearly all the UI text and at the 3:10 mark if the translation is correct,
the percentage meter refers to "Do You believe in the hearts of the Phantom Thieves?" - I'm guessing that perhaps the public notoriety of the Phantom Thieves plays as some kind of gameplay mechanic. Maybe whether you choose to steal more than just hearts contributes to this in some fashion? Here's a direct link to the scene in question; definitely pause it as it goes by quick

This actually ties into my theory that the Velvet Room is what it is as a warning. If you can play the game in a way where the cast abuses their power, it might lead to a bad end. Given how Protag looks like he's absolutely estatic about his power, this is totally a possibility.

Igor does mention "your rehabilitation" at the end of the trailer...

FluxWaveZ

I like that my hope for a party member is close to becoming a reality.
The reverse Hermit is accurate to me at all times. It's pretty neat, though it's unfortunate no party member in the series has had that arcana yet.
In Persona 5 the Navigator should be of the Reversed Hermit and just spend all their time navigating from their room while posting on GAF lying in bed.
Always wanted a Hermit arcana party member.

_Ryo_

CopyPasta on my thoughts regarding new Slink system based on PV04.

So, as far as Slinks? stuff goes, some things I've noticed.

You can talk to a girl that is part of the news paper team.
Gossip might be integrated into the slink system and may be partly optional. I notice a lot of popups where you can press a button to Listen, such crowds out in the city and a sports team inside the school. So it might be that your actions will affect community opinion of your group.

On the calendar/day switch screen at the buttom right there is a 2ch poll saying that 6% agree with hearts of the panthom theives i think, so maybe you can go around listening to what people are saying about yall and then do side quests and such that will either decrease or improve your standing amongst the public depending on your actions and how well you do.

This with the addition of traditional Slink and romance all working in conjunction would actually bea pretty big overhall to the SLink system, especially if those relationships affect the publics perception.

Ex, you date someone and end the relationship in shambles, it may cause rumours to get out the leader is a total asshole, causing community perception of you to lower, allowing the public to be not very helpful or even try to impede your progress.

Or you get in someones good graces, they'll spread it around, you're a swell guyand npcs will be more willing to give you hints or whatever.

Tbh, ,this is all total guesswork as i dunno how it all will work but it looks like as far as I can tell your relationship with the community as a whole is a pretty big deal this time. And if your actions reflect if they help are not then it makes a lot of sense why it is called CoOperation.

If im totally off base and completely wrong, just say so. Im an idiot so that kind of thing often happens. Xd

I was informed there was a new subbed video that does the UI and stuff, i gotta go check that out.

Nachos

There's a new fansubbed version of the PV that translates nearly all the UI text and at the 3:10 mark if the translation is correct,
the percentage meter refers to "Do You believe in the hearts of the Phantom Thieves?" - I'm guessing that perhaps the public notoriety of the Phantom Thieves plays as some kind of gameplay mechanic. Maybe whether you choose to steal more than just hearts contributes to this in some fashion? Here's a direct link to the scene in question; definitely pause it as it goes by quick

Pretty sure that was mistranslated.
And that it's asking if you believe in The Phantom Thieves of Hearts, which is the name of the gang.

Lusankya

In all the dungeons scenes you can see: "Steal the heart of 'insert name of boss enemy' " and in one scene there is the additional goal of "Steal the heart of Futaba".

Sophia

So I remember someone saying something about this,
specifically that stealing Futaba's heart was an objective in one of the dungeons. I asked Mystic for confirmation, and sure enough the objective in the Staff Interview says to take her heart to apparently "prevent an X-day", whatever that means. Doesn't confirm she's outright antagonistic, but that she is a target, at least.

Pretty sure that was mistranslated.
And that it's asking if you believe in The Phantom Thieves of Hearts, which is the name of the gang.

Oh, I had a feeling that it wasn't 100% accurate in its translation,
but I think my hypothesis still stands that that percentile meter is related to the group's public notoriety and there's probably some gameplay mechanics to increase it throughout the game.

Feels like the objectives are a replacement for dungeon floors to measure progression. Makes me wonder how the game will restrict your progress though. I doubt they'll bring back the fatigue system from P3, but just having it be SP in P4 made leaving dungeons quickly become a non-issue.

I don't get it. Are we or are we not spoilering Persona 5 plot analysis?

I think spoiling plot stuff/speculation that isn't immediately obvious from the trailers is reasonable.

In all the dungeons scenes you can see: "Steal the heart of 'insert name of boss enemy' " and in one scene there is the additional goal of "Steal the heart of Futaba".

specifically that stealing Futaba's heart was an objective in one of the dungeons. I asked Mystic for confirmation, and sure enough the objective in the Staff Interview says to take her heart to apparently "prevent an X-day", whatever that means. Doesn't confirm she's outright antagonistic, but that she is a target, at least.

Ah, ok.

Guy needs a break, anyway. A lot of people need a break.

cj_iwakura

I find it hilarious that the most critical person of P5 is Dantis, by a country mile. Like I don't think I've seen any other complaints anywhere, apart from maybe the pandering stuff.

_Ryo_

She's got that evil, cackling "bubble bubble, toil, and trouble! Fire burn and cauldron bubble" look when we first see her.

It's probably not the case, but you never know.

Not to mention that the group seems really suprised when she starts to help out via hacking, saying something like "She's helping us!?"

So, if they're surprised she is helping then it is by no means a stretch to assume she is antagonistic at the start.

Like a reverse ikutsuki situation.

FluxWaveZ

I'm just being safe because we technically don't have an official English translation for a lot of this stuff. But if it's okay to unmark this speculation, I can do that in the future.

No, I'm not being accusatory, I'm just saying that I thought the consensus was that officially released Persona 5 media was allowed in this thread, but that looking further into it had been spoilered. Pretty sure that discussion had been had already.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)

I thought from the latest trailer that it's likely
you'll be fighting each party member before they join the gang. Both Bikesona girl and Adieu lady look like they're going to fight you in the scenes we seem them being introduced.

Also, I think the Bike Persona is great, in the same way it was brilliant to see Personas playing musical instruments in P4D.

Sophia

I thought from the latest trailer that it's likely
you'll be fighting each party member before they join the gang. Both Bikesona girl and Adieu lady look like they're going to fight you in the scenes we seem them being introduced.

Also, I think the Bike Persona is great, in the same way it was brilliant to see Personas playing musical instruments in P4D.

Morgana is introducing the Adieu Lady, it looks like. If we fight her, it's not revealed in the trailer.

_Ryo_

I don't get it. Are we or are we not spoilering Persona 5 plot analysis?

Well, wasnt there some debate about spoilers earlier this year when some posted plot points about P3 while someone was playing. Think there was a bit of drama.

The spoiler policy in this thread seems to switch back and forth so i tagged just in case.

Yeah, Punchy looks kind of antasgonistic when she's first shown too, although that could just be the awakening.

Wonder why Morgana seems to be with Adieu though.

FluxWaveZ

Well, wasnt there some debate about spoilers earlier this year when some posted plot points about P3 while someone was playing. Think there was a bit of drama.

The spoiler policy in this thread seems to switch back and forth so i tagged just in case.

Persona 3 and Persona 4 plot points have always been stated to be spoilered in here.

Persona 2, though? Go nuts.
Worse than dead, forgotten.
Worse than forgotten, not localized.

That and Persona 1 too, of course.

Top Bottom