• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

84X

Banned
We kiiiiiiiiiinda need more information before we can really call anything, but people can be excited too

We've barely even seen a lot of the new cast outside of their thief personas.

Which was more or less all I was critiquing. Not trying to say people shouldn't be excited for the new cast but I've personally never been too fond of what I'd consider somewhat kneejerk reactions.

At the least, I'm far more interested in the characters we saw for the fourth time and such.

Squire

Banned
We kiiiiiiiiiinda need more information before we can really call anything, but people can be excited too

Totally. There are some strange judgement calls being made. Like, Punchy is student council pres, so she's a Mitsuru retread? That doesn't make any sense. We barely know anything about her.

The excitement I get. These characters are debuting in this trailer and they made a great first impression. Probably better than MC, Ryuji, and Anne did, as far as I can tell. That's credit to Atlus.

Sophia

Part of the reason I like Futaba is because she doesn't seem like a retrend of previous navigator characters. Both Rise and Fuuka were more or less the nice girl archtype in two different ways, where as she seems a whole lot more mischievous and arrogant.

84X

Banned
Totally. There are some strange judgement calls being made. Like, Punchy is student council pres, so she's a Mitsuru retread? That doesn't make any sense. We barely know anything about her.

Critiquing the student council president angle is as valid as any sort of excitement for her. It just seems strange to return to such a position when it really doesn't seem all that relatable to most players. However, I'm not sure anyone has actually said she's a Mitsuru retread which would hold much different implications than simply questioning the student council aspect.

Mediking

... can I still keep the OTP?

Whoever drew this first epic image for the OT.... did an AMAZING job. I wanna see more of his/her work.

MpBCFTM.png

Squire

Banned
Critiquing the student council president angle is as valid as any sort of excitement for her. It just seems strange to return to such a position when it really doesn't seem all that relatable to most players. However, I'm not sure anyone has actually said she's a Mitsuru retread which would hold much different implications than simply questioning the student council aspect.

It's not that it's less valid, it's just so cursory. Her being student council president is more than likely going to have nothing to do with the elements of the character that endear you or turn you off. It's a basic fact about her and nothing more.

Like, what exactly is the critique? If you mean to call it a trope or a cliche, fine. But what's the issue with it? Because at this point, literally everything "has been done"; It's the specifics underneath that are really going to matter.

I guess if you're arguing that it's criticism, my counter is it's so basic, it's not really useful. I see it as an observation. Yes, she's student council president. I don't understand why that'd be good or bad because I don't know enough about the character or her portrayal.

It's not that it's less valid, it's just so cursory. Her being student council president is more than likely going to have nothing to do with the elements of the character that endear you or turn you off. It's a basic fact about her and nothing more.

Like, what exactly is the critique? If you mean to call it a trope or a cliche, fine. But what's the issue with it? Because at this point, literally everything "has been done"; It's the specifics underneath that are really going to matter.

I guess if you're arguing that it's criticism, my counter is it's so basic, it's not really useful. I see it as an observation. Yes, she's student council president. I don't understand why that'd be good or bad because I don't know enough about the character or her portrayal.

Or, crazy thought, she's SCP because she was pushed to be. Sounds kind of thematic, don't it? Being pushed into a position in life you don't want to be in and doesn't suit you at all?

Sophia

Student council president is a pretty common stock portrayal in any Japanese medium. I don't think it really says anything about her character outside of what they've implied in the trailer itself. Comparisons to Mitsuru are especially silly because of that.

84X

Banned

Fair enough but my original thoughts on her specifically ended with it being

...probably not a big deal in the end... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I guess the main issue is that it's something I don't feel needed to be seen again but if you really want to be pedantic about it then yes everything has been done before anyways.

Strimei

Or, crazy thought, she's SCP because she was pushed to be. Sounds kind of thematic, don't it? Being pushed into a position in life you don't want to be in and doesn't suit you at all?

That's what I was kind of expecting, or that its expected of her in some way to become student president (family thing maybe, living up to expectations).

Squire

Banned

That's fascinating! That's the kind of my thing my firm interpretations of these characters will be based on, when I have some, after the playing the game.

Fair enough but my original thoughts on her specifically ended with it being

I guess the main issue is that it's something I don't feel needed to be seen again but if you really want to be pedantic about it then yes everything has been done before anyways.

I don't want to be padantic about it, I just think identifying a trope and then communicating it's bad (or not making the distinction between those two) is a very basic way to think about stories and characters. And Persona, from what I've seen so far, generally doesn't treat it's story or characters so simply.

Strimei

That's specifically what I'm thinking of. Parents push you to succeed, either into a corner or off a cliff.

Yup. Maybe older siblings too? I see that pop up from time to time in stories (i.e. Kyoya Ootori in Ouran). The struggle to prove yourself to your parents but also to be your own person, the weight of expectations, of family history, etc etc.

"Your older brothers both were ace students and student presidents, you must be too" sorta thing.

Yup. Maybe older siblings too? I see that pop up from time to time in stories (i.e. Kyoya Ootori in Ouran). The struggle to prove yourself to your parents but also to be your own person, the weight of expectations, of family history, etc etc.

"Your older brothers both were ace students and student presidents, you must be too" sorta thing.

Or maybe it isn't even that? It's loser parents wanting their child to make something of themselves to give the parents a sense of worth.

"Look at us, we raised her right from nothing!"

Strimei

Or maybe it isn't even that? It's loser parents wanting their child to make something of themselves to give the parents a sense of worth.

"Look at us, we raised her right from nothing!"

Oh, that's a good angle too!

Really curious how it all turns out, Punchy is definitely my favorite of the new reveals, so I'm very interested.

(Also I'm loving the nicknames)

84X

Banned
That's fascinating! That's the kind of my thing my firm interpretations of these characters will be based on, when I have some, after the playing the game.

I don't want to be padantic about it, I just think identifying a trope and then communicating it's bad (or not making the distinction between those two) is a very basic way to think about stories and characters. And Persona, from what I've seen so far, generally doesn't treat it's story or characters so simply.

Well I'd completely agree and really I didn't mean my comment to be taken as anything more than an off-hand remark. My whole reason for being vague in the first place was for it to be taken lightly but that said I still understand why people would get a cautious feeling from that bit of information, however small it may be. I dunno, if anyone still thinks I'm being hard on her for no reason then I don't know what to say because I actually like her the most out of the new characters.

Oh, that's a good angle too!

Really curious how it all turns out, Punchy is definitely my favorite of the new reveals, so I'm very interested.

(Also I'm loving the nicknames)

The spiked shoulders make me think 'Iron Maiden'.

Even if the biker thing makes her more 'Judas Priest'.
(something something 'Turbo Lover' ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°))

Squire

Banned
Well I'd completely agree and really I didn't mean my comment to be taken as anything more than an off-hand remark. My whole reason for being vague in the first place was for it to be taken lightly but that said I still understand why people would get a cautious feeling from that bit of information, however small it may be. I dunno, if anyone still thinks I'm being hard on her for no reason then I don't know what to say because I actually like her the most out of the new characters.

Fair enough. I probably ascribed too much weight to your comment. I apologize, if so.

Makio

The spiked shoulders make me think 'Iron Maiden'.

Even if the biker thing makes her more 'Judas Priest'.
(something something 'Turbo Lover')

YES I know i wasnt the only one.....

Now Hell Patrol is going to sound in my head everytime she slide that motorcycle hahaha.

I like the angle of her parents pushing it to be council president , specially since they kinda hinted she got bad grades according to the translation.
Aka she kinda of a rebel (that label tho).

Mediking

One of the many things about Persona games... is when an important scene happens and the dialogue box goes something like:

"You wonder what Adachi is doing."

".........."

"You decide to go home."

YES I know i wasnt the only one.....

Now Hell Patrol is going to sound in my head everytime she slide that motorcycle hahaha.

I like the angle of her parents pushing it to be council president , specially since they kinda hinted she got bad grades according to the translation.
Aka she kinda of a rebel (that label tho).

Always a pleasure to see another metal enthusiast!

One of the many things about Persona games... is when an important scene happens and the dialogue box goes something like:

"You wonder what Adachi is doing."

".........."

"You decide to go home."

"You should leave him be."

"Responsibility, an anchor around my neck
Dependability, made me a nervous wreck
Accountability, I live from check to check
Volatility, neglect and no respect"

This is almost too easy!

84X

Banned
Fair enough. I probably ascribed too much weight to your comment. I apologize, if so.

Eh don't worry about, given my phrasing I'm certainly not without fault either.

Anyways, on a more light-hearted note, I want to mention how P5 rightfully acknowledges the best facial expression:

Dead eyes best eyes.

Jintor

i wish it were easier to get the p4/p3 mangas in english. I don't think they're very good but I'd still like to flip through them.

I hear arena was okay

84X

Banned
i wish it were easier to get the p4/p3 mangas in english. I don't think they're very good but I'd still like to flip through them.

I hear arena was okay

But arena's manga art pales in comparison to the p3/p4 ones.

Unless you don't think they're good on some other basis but they mostly follow the games pretty faithfully so... (Except for P4's somewhat weird start where it tries to stray away from the source material before finally settling in as a faithful adaption)

Jintor

yeah but i don't care about following the games faithfully. i've played each game like 4 times and watched the anime like twice. i just want goofs and fun stories

84X

Banned
yeah but i don't care about following the games faithfully. i've played each game like 4 times and watched the anime like twice. i just want goofs and fun stories

Well I understand that sentiment but an adaption being faithful doesn't make it bad. Besides, it's neat to see the how the boss battles are transitioned into the new medium.

To each their own though.

I was right in my head that it was Rise.
I omitted her name because 'nah, I don't want to harp on the idea of Rise being a sex-maniac'.

It... still has nothing to do with that at all...

Squire

Banned
P4 manga is pretty solid actually

Like, once it hits the Kanji arc it's pure gravy

Where can I read that?

I want some Persona right now. O guess u want P4, but I don't want to commit to a new game and I don't *really* wanna watch the anime again (even though I actually BOUGHT that series.)

PK Gaming

Where can I read that?

I want some Persona right now. O guess u want P4, but I don't want to commit to a new game and I don't *really* wanna watch the anime again (even though I actually BOUGHT that series.)

You can buy the first 2 volumes off amazon or at your local Chapters

Mediking

I dunno why this happens to me but my second playthru of Atlus games tend to always be more hard then my 1st playthru. I just got to the mini boss in Kanji's dungeon. It's a thing that likes to up his Attack then do a devastating attack on you. I nearly had the guy beat but he ko(ed) Yukiko and Chie. I ran out of Revival Beads and I was like, "Ummmmm....."

I also tried to play Shin Megami Tensei IV again on my 3DS just to relive the game but I was getting slapped around by bosses left and right. I was like, "This wasn't like my 1st playthru! It's the same Normal Difficulty!"

Guess Who

Banned
Critiquing the student council president angle is as valid as any sort of excitement for her. It just seems strange to return to such a position when it really doesn't seem all that relatable to most players.

being an idol isn't relatable to most players but you're still a rise fan yo

Top Bottom