• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

Yeah my bad , i wasnt talking about the fandom as a whole just that little part out there which i say earlier put Naoto into trans or Kanji 100% gay just because they want to despite the games made clear that is not true at all.

I feel like alot of fans outside certain fandoms are just painful to deal with because of this

Discussing Naoto's character around some people is like walking in a minefield

Zolo

Yeah my bad , i wasnt talking about the fandom as a whole just that little part out there which i say earlier put Naoto into trans or Kanji 100% gay just because they want to despite the games made clear that is not true at all.

Is amazing we already see these problems with a characters we dont have / know anything about it.

And just to be clear , i dont have problems if someone ends up being a gay or a trans like already see some theory about Sakura being a dude based in the other guys reaction in the beach.

If they want a gay / lesbian character go for it , if they want do it a dateable option good too.

But at least wait until we know anything about the games before put it into labels than maybe can be proven wrong once again.

Not making like 70% of his artwork or personality traits be gay or call names to Atlus if dont make him gay based in his looks and his comparision to Jun.

PD: I know everyone have their opinion and first impressions about the characters and stuff (like Sakura being the most popular character right now) but say Ann is a "whore" because his suit , Queen being a "bitch" because her temper and Ryuji a "fucking pervert" for two lines of dialogue and 2 shots is take it too far and the other example i give in the other posts

Yeah. It's weird to me how you'll see some people talk about how they draw comics and art of P5 characters talking about how much they already love them and just looking over one of the comics, you can tell even from what we've seen, they're not going to be like that in the game. Kinda like.....they have a 'type' of character they like and make out a certain character to be like that even if it isn't or doesn't seem to be at all. Not to mention the idea of loving characters we really don't know about at all at the moment aside from a few lines and reactions.

"You watch Ann and Ryuji argue on the escalator."

"They both turn to you to see your opinion on the matter."

"..........."

"You decide it would be wise not to jump in the argument."

> You calmly, but firmly place your hands on the back of their heads.

"Now kiiiiisssss..."

> Your friends are doubting your leadership.

Won't someone find the good fan art? The only reason my avatar is Sakura is I can't really find a good piece of Noire.

Make way
a0tLeE4.jpg

Darksol

I can't wait for the Japanese LE release. I've been staring at my preorder periodically throughout the day.

Also, anyone know (or can speculate) what the Amazon bonus item will/might be?

Heh, yeah.

I have to say though, o think I might already like P5MC more than I ever liked Makoto or Yu.

I agree with you. For me. It's because p5mc feels like he belongs in the group and looks like a member of the team. P4 was the worst with the way they gave Yu a messiah like complex where everyone worshiped him. Not sure about p5mc vs tatsuya still.

Dantis

So I have some thoughts!

Firstly, I've been thinking about what I think the overarching theme regarding character struggles will be. In Persona 3, it was about overcoming the bad parts of life. The characters were plagued by an external trouble, and over the course of the game they learned to deal with it. Generally this was a singular defining event, and their character arc closed out with a resolution to that event.

Persona 4 was more long-term and personal, and was about accepting yourself for who you are. Characters accept the parts of themselves that they're ashamed of, make a resounding speech and then try to change in future events (Unless it's an S Link in which case goodbye forever).

My theory for Persona 5 is that it's going to be about taking the perceptions that other people place on you, and using them as your strength. That's why Anne is dressed in the sexualised cat costume and that's why biker girl is biker girl. Carmen is a character who used her sexuality to her advantage, and we know that Ann is admired but distant, so this fits. I think the student president will be perceived to be stern, strict and constrained, and the biker outfit is there to reflect that yeah, she is tough, but she's also a free spirit. Soejima seems to associate motorbikes with a sense of freedom, so again, I think this makes sense.
Also, the characters all seem to be embodying a romanticised version of a fictional archetype. The protagonist is obviously inspired by theatrical masterminds, Ryuji draws from characters like The Lone Ranger, Ann is the cat burglar and bike girl is like a character from a more modern heist story (The Place Beyond The Pines or something like that).

Which leads me on to part two: Fubata Sakura.
The short version is that I think a lot of our first impressions (Including my own) are wrong about her. Tech obviously plays a large part in her character, and her thief outfit is clearly influenced by things like Splinter Cell (and probably some anime equivalent), however, I think people are latching onto two specific images of her and drawing some pretty unusual conclusions.
The two images people reference the most are the two where she's on her computer, once in a battle and once in the real world. In both shots she seems maniacal, and people are using this as evidence that she's going to be antagonistic and possibly evil. The thing is, this goes against all the other artwork we see of her, where she looks like a completely normal party member. Taking this into consideration alongside the two others shots, and I feel like it paints a different notion of the character. I think these two scenes will be specific, for a start, rather than a recurring trait, and I think they point to her being a dork, rather than a mastermind.

Which leads to me to part 3: The things that people are latching onto with Fubata are similar to what they latched onto with the protagonist, and that turned out to be nothing. People had expected a much more antagonistic character, and there was even suggestions that you'd be playing as the bad guys this time around. As time goes on, however, the perception has changed, and I feel like it was put to bed entirely when it was revealed you were stealing the bad parts from people's hearts.
On top of that, Soejima has started portraying the protagonist differently. The shit-eating grin? All but gone. Recent art portrays him with a crafty smile still, but much more constrained, and on top of that, Soejima has redrawn two of his portraits to no longer use the old exaggerated smile:

In the end, I think the people who are saying we won't know until it's out are completely right. But speculation is still fun.

So I have some thoughts!

Firstly, I've been thinking about what I think the overarching theme regarding character struggles will be. In Persona 3, it was about overcoming the bad parts of life. The characters were plagued by an external trouble, and over the course of the game they learned to deal with it. Generally this was a singular defining event, and their character arc closed out with a resolution to that event.

Persona 4 was more long-term and personal, and was about accepting yourself for who you are. Characters accept the parts of themselves that they're ashamed of, make a resounding speech and then try to change in future events (Unless it's an S Link in which case goodbye forever).

My theory for Persona 5 is that it's going to be about taking the perceptions that other people place on you, and using them as your strength. That's why Anne is dressed in the sexualised cat costume and that's why biker girl is biker girl. Carmen is a character who used her sexuality to her advantage, and we know that Ann is admired but distant, so this fits. I think the student president will be perceived to be stern, strict and constrained, and the biker outfit is there to reflect that yeah, she is tough, but she's also a free spirit. Soejima seems to associate motorbikes with a sense of freedom, so again, I think this makes sense.
Also, the characters all seem to be embodying a romanticised version of a fictional archetype. The protagonist is obviously inspired by theatrical masterminds, Ryuji draws from characters like The Lone Ranger, Ann is the cat burglar and bike girl is like a character from a more modern heist story (The Place Beyond The Pines or something like that).

Which leads me on to part two: Fubata Sakura.
The short version is that I think a lot of our first impressions (Including my own) are wrong about her. Tech obviously plays a large part in her character, and her thief outfit is clearly influenced by things like Splinter Cell (and probably some anime equivalent), however, I think people are latching onto two specific images of her and drawing some pretty unusual conclusions.
The two images people reference the most are the two where she's on her computer, once in a battle and once in the real world. In both shots she seems maniacal, and people are using this as evidence that she's going to be antagonistic and possibly evil. The thing is, this goes against all the other artwork we see of her, where she looks like a completely normal party member. Taking this into consideration alongside the two others shots, and I feel like it paints a different notion of the character. I think these two scenes will be specific, for a start, rather than a recurring trait, and I think they point to her being a dork, rather than a mastermind.

Which leads to me to part 3: The things that people are latching onto with Fubata are similar to what they latched onto with the protagonist, and that turned out to be nothing. People had expected a much more antagonistic character, and there was even suggestions that you'd be playing as the bad guys this time around. As time goes on, however, the perception has changed, and I feel like it was put to bed entirely when it was revealed you were stealing the bad parts from people's hearts.
On top of that, Soejima has started portraying the protagonist differently. The shit-eating grin? All but gone. Recent art portrays him with a crafty smile still, but much more constrained, and on top of that, Soejima has redrawn two of his portraits to no longer use the old exaggerated smile:

In the end, I think the people who are saying we won't know until it's out are completely right. But speculation is still fun.

I'm indifferent of Sakura being antagonistic, but she seems a bit more gung-ho or aggressive if the clips we've seen is indicative of how her personality will be

_Ryo_

Is it just me or is MC the most boring character, aesthetically? At least he is my least favourite.

I like Ann the most. strangely people call her a whore or whatever, I really find such prudish opinions unforunate. I think she'll actually be one of the more intelligent and thoughtful, open-minded characters in the game, and she feels that being repressed in any form is a degradation to ones freedom and well-being, which is an opinion I can emphasise with.

_Ryo_

Wait, is this calling her "a whore or whatever" in-universe or irl? I'm more than a little confused.

In real life. I've heard and read a disgusting opinions but yeah its completely anecdotal.

Btw, as far as Sakura, I like her because I dunno she seems an arrogant and eccentric person that may also be blunt and not really care about what others think of her.

Like, she has her convictions and just does what she does.

Yes, I realize I myself am sort of making characters judgements based solely on a few secs of gameplay... Just look at my tag tho
XD

Still, speculation is fun.

Jintor

I've been trying to rid myself of pre-release hype just in general for a while now but this level of quality trailers is not helping

I hope Sakura ends up being nothing like we saw personality wise, because I feel like I've already seen this type of character a hundred time.

Jintor

i don't really know how to peg her personality based on the, uh, probably less than 20 seconds of footage we saw her in.

daevious

i don't really know how to peg her personality based on the, uh, probably less than 20 seconds of footage we saw her in.

One thing about Futaba that I find odd is the part of the trailer where she wraps her whole head in a towel to avoid being seen by the other character. I know it 's mainly for the sake of a gag, but Ryuji's reaction when the towel comes off looks like he's surprised at what her face looks like.

I'm guessing that while Futaba is definitely an ally, she keeps herself hidden from the others (which fits into idea of online anonymity and her role as hacker) and the beach trip is an opportunity to meet her face to face.

Setsu00

Some observations from Eternal Punishment's additional scenario that might be relevant to Persona 5.
- If a Persona takes over its host completely, it turns into a demon. This should mean that Shadows, Personas and demons are essentially the same thing.
- Zula, the cat encountered by the party in Kadath Mandala, makes various references to the story "I am a cat". Morgana's speech patterns are also grounded in the same story.
- Zula being a cat is another reference to Lovecraft. Sakura's Necronomicon is also of Lovecraftian origin.

PK Gaming

Some observations from Eternal Punishment's additional scenario that might be relevant to Persona 5.
- If a Persona takes over its host completely, it turns into a demon. This should mean that Shadows, Personas and demons are essentially the same thing.
- Zula, the cat encountered by the party in Kadath Mandala, makes various references to the story "I am a cat". Morgana's speech patterns are also grounded in the same story.
- Zula being a cat is another reference to Lovecraft. Sakura's Necronomicon is also of Lovecraftian origin.

First doesn't seem likely since there are way too many demons running around, and Persona users are comparatively rare.

Is it just me or is MC the most boring character, aesthetically? At least he is my least favourite.

I like Ann the most. strangely people call her a whore or whatever, I really find such prudish opinions unforunate. I think she'll actually be one of the more intelligent and thoughtful, open-minded characters in the game, and she feels that being repressed in any form is a degradation to ones freedom and well-being, which is an opinion I can emphasise with.

Not me. I really like him so far and he's one of my favorite designs out of the group.

Lunar15

Man, I'm in a dilemma. I absolutely love the trailer theme and I want to listen to it on loop, but I also don't want to wear it out before I even get the game!

Seriously, all of the music we've heard is stellar. While it doesn't have the misty, nostalgic sound of P4, it's making up for that by completely owning its own vibe. I love how different it is.

@ Dantis: I had never really considered the idea of their costumes being an acceptance of what society says limits them. I mean, it seems really obvious in retrospect considering the theme of every single one of these games, but I just never put two and two together. I think Sakura's persona makes sense then: She probably is a shut in who lives her life as an internet persona, and thus is an "alien" to society. The UFO and her space goggles reflect that she's accepted that she's weird to most people, but her technological prowess also puts her ahead of most people.

The only thing is that I can't quite make the connection for Yusuke, Ryuji, and the "Adeiu" girl. (god, we better get some names in Dengeki), But who knows, i'm sure it's there. For all the flaws in these games, I do trust Hashino & Soejima's ability to tie in all aspects of design to central themes. It's this series' core competency.

Also, I'm glad you noticed they toned down MC's straight-up Lupin smirk in the all out attack cutout. I was going to bring it up. While I don't mind all the smirking as much as you do, that cut-in did clash a lot with how MC's been presented otherwise. Not to mention, it's almost literally the same art style of some of Lupin III's newer adaptations, which had very stretched and exaggerated facial expressions:

fmlady.png

_Ryo_

Not me. I really like him so far and he's one of my favorite designs out of the group.

I like him but compared to the rest I think he displays the least personlity and is a bit boring. Which makes sense considering its a silent protagonist of Persona, a series where we insert ourselves into the role. But I will say I like his design more than I like Yu's from Persona 4.

Fav MCs based solely on design

1. Fem MC Persona 3 Portable
2. Persona 3
3. Persona 5
4. Persona 4

Thanks Teddie. Now get out. There's a new cat in town.

Source: (https://twitter.com/s_696/status/729267435824545792/photo/1)

About this week's upcoming game magazines...which are the ones to look out for? Famitsu and Dengeki Playstation, mainly?

Would it be a good idea to double dip on both?

Those are the two main ones. There's likely to be a lot of repeated stuff between them though. Covers will probably both be Persona 5 though, and that should be unique Soejima art. We've already seen the Dengeki one.

We should at least get a second confirmation from them that P5 will be there though, since Atlus USA hasn't announced their E3 line-up yet.

And we'll see it on the E3 badges when they're revealed of course.

Since it will have a bigger presence, maybe they could even get some new art for that

Sophia

Would you be willing to bet that we're going to get a western release date/collector's edition announcement at E3 then?

I think it's not only a safe bet we'll get a western release date, but I bet the game will be playable for the first time at E3. They're not telling Japanese fans to watch E3 for nothing.

So the English build might even be playable before the Japanese build

If they're far enough along that there is an English build playable at E3 ofc. They haven't actually said that it will be playable.

Top Bottom