• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

MSMrRound

Would you be willing to bet that we're going to get a western release date/collector's edition announcement at E3 then?

AtlusJP's direct acknowledgement of E3 kinda raised my hopes for a release date that's relatively close to Japan's date...

Still waiting for details though...when they said on the page that the Persona 5 crew will meet us again on the 16th of June, are they referring to JST timing or? Still not too sure if they are intending on having a Persona 5 only stage/livestream event of sorts...or do you think they might be hinting to an appearance at Sony's stage conference? 16th June seems to be at least a couple of days away from the other (confirmed) press conference and Sony usually tends to go just a few hours behind Microsoft's press con so I'm not too sure if the date tallies...

Lunar15

I will say, it's going to be tough for Atlus USA to top last year's booth. But with P5, SMTIVA, and Yakuza 0, it's going to be pretty fucking great.

I'm really sad I can't see it in person again this year. ;_;

ATLUS U.S.A., Inc. is known for high-quality, deeply immersive, uniquely Japanese and indie video game experiences. Our award-winning catalog continues to grow across a variety of genres and platforms. Visit our booth featuring highly anticipated titles from ATLUS and SEGA, including Persona 5, Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse, and Yakuza 0. - See more at: http://pr311jm731.mapyourshow.com/6...etails.cfm?ExhID=atl0455#sthash.3HHeZr03.dpuf

Technically on the E3 website though, unless there's something else I missed.

Still waiting for details though...when they said on the page that the Persona 5 crew will meet us again on the 16th of June, are they referring to JST timing or? Still not too sure if they are intending on having a Persona 5 only stage/livestream event of sorts...or do you think they might be hinting to an appearance at Sony's stage conference? 16th June seems to be at least a couple of days away from the other (confirmed) press conference and Sony usually tends to go just a few hours behind Microsoft's press con so I'm not too sure if the date tallies...

The image provided specifically mentions the 14th, not 16th; it also literally pinpoints LA, meaning that whatever is shown, will be shown @ E3.

1462514651_58_Tayangkan-Trailer-ke-4-%E2%80%98Persona-5%E2%80%99-Rilis-di-Jepang-per-15-September.jpg

I like him but compared to the rest I think he displays the least personlity and is a bit boring. Which makes sense considering its a silent protagonist of Persona, a series where we insert ourselves into the role. But I will say I like his design more than I like Yu's from Persona 4.

Fav MCs based solely on design

1. Fem MC Persona 3 Portable
2. Persona 3
3. Persona 5
4. Persona 4

I actually think he displays the most personality from an MC that I've seen so far at first glance. At least in comparison to Yu.

Squire

Banned
Technically on the E3 website though, unless there's something else I missed.

Oh, okay cool. I didn't realize that was there.

What I was specifically referring to was the press release they should put out this month with those games and anything else they plan to show, unless it's something they actually want to announce there/during that week.

Lunar15

I'm really hyped to see what the name tag is going to be this year. Gonna steal one from a coworker. This is the point where I'm at in my life.

DNAbro

...Urk. My bad. Somehow had the 16th slotted into my mind. Good catch and thanks.

Microsoft press con's scheduled for the 13th, but Sony has yet to confirm theirs..hmm..

I kind of want the phantom thieves to pull off a heist and hijack E3's main billboard for themselves=P

Remember time zones though, if Sony has their presser on Monday night it would be Tuesday in Japan.

Squire

Banned
I think it's in Sony's press conference. That just doesn't seem like a big thing at this point. They've been showcasing indie titles with much less buzz and less riding on them then P5 for years now.

Lunar15

I don't think P5 is going to get any "special" time at the Sony conference. It will definitely be featured in call outs and sizzles.

At best, we might get an english localized trailer, but I'm definitely not going to hold my breath there.

At best, we might get an english localized trailer, but I'm definitely not going to hold my breath there.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say we may just see that, possibly with an English dub. (Not complete for the game, but a dub of the trailer itself)

I mean, why would Atlus announce a western showing of the game at the Japanese event where they announced its release date if they weren't planning for their releases to be close to one another?

I've been away for a bit, has this been talked about ITT?

TL;DR Persona 5's UI seems super efficient besides looking nice.

tumblr_inline_o6spr9YuqG1sfb8o5_500.png

Not only has the scrolling menu been replaced with one button press for each command, but the Skills menu's been consolidated into the Persona menu. You can use L1 and R1 to swap Personas on the fly and choose a skill, rather than move back and forth between two menus.

I'm just glad to see the UI isn't only pretty but so much more functional.

Squire

Banned
I don't think P5 is going to get any "special" time at the Sony conference. It will definitely be featured in call outs and sizzles.

Yeah, I'm just thinking a trailer.

Really, the game seems to have so much going on I don't think it even lends itself to any kind of stage demo. A trailer though? That's nothing.

Edit: And I definitely think the trailer will be dubbed. 100%.

Not only has the scrolling menu been replaced with one button press for each command, but the Skills menu's been consolidated into the Persona menu. You can use L1 and R1 to swap Personas on the fly and choose a skill, rather than move back and forth between two menus.

Hashino mentioned that in the interview with him. Seems to have been a big goal for them.

Lunar15

I love when people mention that all the pizazz and flair added to the menus and UI will get tiresome after a while. Everything we've seen so far is skippable and most of it actually lends to a quicker and more streamlined experience.

There's precedent for that too: You could skip a lot of the extra scenes in P3 and 4, like the All Out Attacks.

Yeah, I'm just thinking a trailer.

Really, the game seems to have so much going on I don't think it even lends itself to any kind of stage demo. A trailer though? That's nothing.

Edit: And I definitely think the trailer will be dubbed. 100%.

I think all of that, trailer included, is fairly wishful thinking. But who knows, I've been wrong plenty of times before!

Those conferences have become so weird that the odds of P5 being there feels like a complete crap shoot.

Lunar15

I'm curious why you guys see it as a long shot or a crap shoot. Is it because of Atlus Japan?

No, it's because of Persona being a somewhat niche game that may or may not benefit Sony's goals in their press conference.

It really all comes down to Sony. I'm sure Atlus would love to have their game shown off at the press conference. It just may not be worth Sony's time to do so.

Squire

Banned
No, it's because of Persona being a somewhat niche game that may or may not benefit Sony's goals in their press conference.

It really all comes down to Sony. I'm sure Atlus would love to have their game shown off at the press conference. It just may not be worth Sony's time to do so.

Do you think there's a meaningful difference between this and the indie games they're inevitably going to show? For all the Destiny and Powers crap, I find they tend to balance themselves out with things that will excite the enthusiast crowd pretty well.

"Niche" doesn't appear to be something they concern themselves with too much. And this is before factoring in that they apparently like Persona, as a franchise, enough that they put P5s logo in one show and of course PV01 was at TGS.

Lunar15

Do you think there's a meaningful difference between this and the indie games they're inevitably going to show? For all the Destiny and Powers crap, I find they tend to balance themselves out with things that will excite the enthusiast crowd pretty well.

"Niche" doesn't appear to be something they concern themselves with too much. And this is before factoring in that they apparently like Persona, as a franchise, enough that they put P5s logo in one show and of course PV01 was at TGS.

I'm trying to remember an indie game made without SCEA backing that got its own trailer at a Playstation Press Conference. That's not a slight: it could have happened. I just can't think of one.

EDIT: No Man's Sky.

Persona 5 I think is big enough to be on stage. Whether they'll have the Phantom thief theatrics though, which it seems like will be a part of the E3 showing. That's what makes me think that Atlus might do their own thing instead, as with TGS last year.

Squire

Banned
I'm trying to remember an indie game made without SCEA backing that got its own trailer at a Playstation Press Conference. That's not a slight: it could have happened. I just can't think of one.

This is a platform exclusive with great buzz Thays already been on two shows though.

Edit: I just saw your edit. No, I understood you. I couldn't think of one either, but yeah, NMS is the biggest one, if not the only one (I can't imagine it's the only one.)

Persona 5 I think is big enough to be on stage. Whether they'll have the Phantom thief theatrics though, which it seems like will be a part of the E3 showing. That's what makes me think that Atlus might do their own thing instead, as with TGS last year.

Nothing precludes them from doing both though, too. Everything that's in the show is shown in greater detail later.

This is why I feel it's a crap shoot as it could totally go either way. Persona 5 has a decent amount of buzz around it and was already name dropped before, if it's coming at a time of the year when Sony wants to bolster it's exclusive line up then it would make sense to show something during an Adam Boyes segment.

At the same time Sony has a lot of big third party devs that they have business deals with and they could also potentially have a large first party line up (especially with PSVR launching later this year) so their conference could be incredibly packed with big hitters.

Squire

Banned
This is why I feel it's a crap shoot as it could totally go either way. Persona 5 has a decent amount of buzz around it and was already name dropped before, if it's coming at a time of the year when Sony wants to bolster it's exclusive line up then it would make sense to show something during an Adam Boyes segment.

At the same time Sony has a lot of big third party devs that they have business deals with and they could also potentially have a large first party line up (especially with PSVR launching later this year) so their conference could be incredibly packed with big hitters.

Eh. It never is though. And I think that's by design. They split it between the big third-party deals they make, the 1-2 AAA first-party heavy-hitters they usually have, and indies. They make a concerted effort to reach gamers with different tastes.

Eh. It never is though. And I think that's by design. They split it between the big third-party deals they make, the 1-2 AAA first-party heavy-hitters they usually have, and indies. They make a concerted effort to reach gamers with different tastes.

Sure, but this year is potentially a very big year for them. You've got PSVR and the NEO coming out and both of those will probably have some amount of conference time devoted to them, alongside needing their general first party showing and third party showing.

I'm not saying that it's impossible for P5 to appear and I honestly wouldn't be shocked if we get a very short trailer during an Adam Boyes segment given the type of games that have been shown there before, I'm just saying that I'm not 100% positive it will be there.

Guess Who

Banned

Whoever wrote this little article is a beautiful and handsome person.

Squire

Banned
Sure, but this year is potentially a very big year for them. You've got PSVR and the NEO coming out and both of those will probably have some amount of conference time devoted to them, alongside needing their general first party showing and third party showing.

I'm not saying that it's impossible for P5 to appear and I honestly wouldn't be shocked if we get a very short trailer during an Adam Boyes segment given the type of games that have been shown there before, I'm just saying that I'm not 100% positive it will be there.

I understand, I just think every year is touted to be "a big year" and regardless of what games or hardware launch, it's never as big as people swear up and down that it will be. Not that you're getting caight up in that, yourself. They have some stuff on the docket, but I'd be surprised of room isn't made for P5 and other games of that scale. "Everything in moderation" seems to very much describe Somy's press conferences this generation.

MC designs:
1. P2 MC
2. P4 MC
3. P5 MC
4. P3 Fem MC
5. P1 MC
6. P3 MC

1) Fem mc
2) Tatsuya
3) P5 mc
4) Maya
5) P3 mc
6) P4 mc
7) P1 mc

I find personality shines more in the higher ranking mc with the lower rankings being void of any character. P3 mc would go a lot higher if movie adaptation is included.

Nachos

That's one of the first things I picked up, but I'm still a little wary. Consolidating the menus seems nice, considering that it also doesn't seem to lock you into a persona for a turn if you accidentally pick the wrong one, but what if the stock is 12, like usual? That's a lot to cycle through, and if you're constantly nabbing and fusing personas, it'll be harder to memorize the order. One thing about a list is that you can see where everything's located in relation to each other. A quick toggle's nice, but ideally you want both.

Guess Who

Banned
That's one of the first things I picked up, but I'm still a little wary. Consolidating the menus seems nice, considering that it also doesn't seem to lock you into a persona for a turn if you accidentally pick the wrong one, but what if the stock is 12, like usual? That's a lot to cycle through, and if you're constantly nabbing and fusing personas, it'll be harder to memorize the order. One thing about a list is that you can see where everything's located in relation to each other. A quick toggle's nice, but ideally you want both.

My guess is that, out of battle and in the Velvet Room, the Persona lineup will still be a list. You'll get a sense of the order from planning out your Persona lineup out of battle, and in-battle it's a quick toggle.

I don't know any Japanese, but what's the square button doing here? Might that open a list? So you would have both toggle and a list.

_Ryo_

I don't know any Japanese, but what's the square button doing here? Might that open a list? So you would have both toggle and a list.

I think the Square button opens up the /persona information window of your currently selected persona.

I.E weaknesses, learned skills, level, exp, attributes.

Its kind of blurry on the phone but I think it reads
ペルソナステータス next to the square button, which means Persona Status.

Edit: Btw, if you are curious as to what the blue text スカアハ, in the center reads, it's
“Scáthach” which is a persona, so it displays the name of the selected persona.

Top Bottom