• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

Not sure about weekly updates from now, but I think E3 will kick that off at least.

We have famitsu next week, website update with the remaining characters either next Friday or the Friday after. Then it's three weeks until E3. They might roll out retailer specific preorder bonuses in that time.

Notable things on the website: the coming soon tabs for school/phantom life. No space on the character pages for trailers. In the archive tab we have "graphic" which will probably be cover arts, although we've already sort of seen most of those. Could be wallpapers/twitter avatars too, and "sound" which could be OST samples? or might just be for soundtrack related news.

There's a lot of mechanics I expect to be detailed before launch too. Co-operation, Persona Acquisition/Fusion ect.

And with Stalker Club being changed to being more P5 specific, they might start to show off aspects of the game.

That's a fair amount of things to fill out the time from now until release.

It makes perfect sense from a business perspective. Also you still get the Syujin and Kousei outfits. I am actually surprised that they didn't make the beach episode DLC, to be honest.

I'm not. It's the best way to have that part of the story be cohesive with the rest. If it was optional, either they'd make it totally inconsequential, or they'd have to put in extra work to make playthroughs both with and without it seem natural.

Lusankya

maybe the social link interface still is a wip and they dont want to show the unfinished product.
In the interview Hashino said they completely finished developing and reviewing the game and are already at the mastering step, so this stuff shouldn't be an issue anymore.

Not sure about weekly updates from now, but I think E3 will kick that off at least.

We have famitsu next week, website update with the remaining characters either next Friday or the Friday after. Then it's three weeks until E3. They might roll out retailer specific preorder bonuses in that time.

Notable things on the website: the coming soon tabs for school/phantom life. No space on the character pages for trailers. In the archive tab we have "graphic" which will probably be cover arts, although we've already sort of seen most of those. Could be wallpapers/twitter avatars too, and "sound" which could be OST samples? or might just be for soundtrack related news.

There's a lot of mechanics I expect to be detailed before launch too. Co-operation, Persona Acquisition/Fusion ect.

And with Stalker Club being changed to being more P5 specific, they might start to show off aspects of the game.

So all in all we can expect a good amount of persona news for the next few months rather than the painful drought we just passed through.

Eylos

Banned
In the interview Hashino said they completely finished developing and reviewing the game and are already at the mastering step, so this stuff shouldn't be an issue anymore.

wow 5 months to test bugs and details, i'm not used to hear that in a sp game

Apparently we can finally see the last party member's face
ChxHbR5U4AAUQWD.jpg:large

Super late (as I was at work) but he reminds me of Shinji without the beanie.

Theodoricos

This picture reminds me that all the school uniforms in the Persona games are great (I'm speaking from P3 onwards, haven't played 1-2 yet). I've consistently liked their design and P5 is no exception, for all schools.

Squire

Banned

For whatever reason I figured they'd add the remaining party members to the site one by one.

Either way, you're right. The drought is more or less (finally) over.

Mediking

It makes perfect sense from a business perspective. Also you still get the Syujin and Kousei outfits. I am actually surprised that they didn't make the beach episode DLC, to be honest.

It's a non-issue. P3 and P4 outfits are the perfect thing to have as DLC. There'll likely be several alternate outfits you can use in the game that are not DLC.

I'm buying the DLC high school costumes. There's no way I'm turning down Yasogami and Gekkoukan high school outfits. Lol I will prolly buy all the DLC.

yuuki

"mastering" can mean many things in the developer world.
Sure the game could work like intendet and all but that doesnt really mean that it is 100% done. Stuff like the ui can change drastical as seen in numerous case where the e3 trailer greatly differs from the actual games a few months later.

Huh, I'm not seeing them, or anything on the webstore either.

Maybe because I don't have PS+ or something. Only Persona 5 thing I see is a page with the box art.

edit, ah, PS3, not PS4

Zolo

Eye opening article on homophobia in Japanese schools

Please read, since its somewhat relevant to Persona

Thanks for sharing.

Unfortunately, I don't know if the writers' are aware of LGBT issues based on their previous entries enough that they would have this topic for a social link, but one of the newslines in the first trailer had something about bullying, so I can see there being a social link going over the idea of 'social harmony' being placed above individual issues as well as trying to be pushed into conforming to rules that can be said to be harmful.

Squire

Banned
Thanks for sharing.

Unfortunately, I don't know if the writers' are aware of LGBT issues based on their previous entries enough that they would have this topic for a social link, but one of the newslines in the first trailer had something about bullying, so I can see there being a social link going over the idea of 'social harmony' being placed above individual issues as well as trying to be pushed into conforming to rules that can be said to be harmful.

I would wager they're very much aware.

Every new Persona game hopes to “address a problem that we see in society at that time, especially in Japan where the games take place,” said Hashino. “We simply can’t ignore the current social issues when depicting our characters’ dark, hidden sides, their internal struggles, and the enemies they oppose.”

https://killscreen.com/articles/the...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

And honestly, it was already a given they're aware of these things. What we can't really know is how they'll handle them.

With regards to LGBT issues specifically, Kanji and Naoto started really strongly in P4, but those social links don't quite pan out. Those characters don't really embrace the true natures the game implies they have to start, so much as it waters them down. It never feels malicious and to some extent there's almost assuredly a gap in thinking translation just can't account for, but even still they never really hit the nail on the head that these particular changes need to be made to the social stat quo of Japan.

It seems like they're not holding back on anything in P5, I just hope that applies to these particular issues as well.

DNAbro

I've said this before but not including something LGBT related would be a complete missed opportunity considering the themes of the game. I'm not saying make all the guys dateable, cause that wouldn't be realistic, especially if they go "I'm only gay for you." which I worry they would. There is a chance here and it would a huge misstep if they miss it.

If they don't I guess Sakura is okay.

Jintor

Ugh. There was an incident in a class a few weeks back and I don't think I intervened to the extent I should've... hmm.

DNAbro

tbh if Yusuke isn't gay I would be a bit shocked. From some of the art that has come out, he seems a bit flamboyant.

That isn't just me getting that vibe right?

Squire

Banned
tbh if Yusuke isn't gay I would be a bit shocked. From some of the art that has come out, he seems a bit flamboyant.

That isn't just me getting that vibe right?

Nah, I'm right there with you. If it's only one of them, Yusuke seems like he's the one. I don't have any P2 nostalgia to make the Jun comparison either.

DNAbro

Of course not, but it seems too obvious. For all we know, it's Ryuji.

His beach scene already makes me think not. He would be the most likely candidate for the "I'm completely straight and I only have eyes for girls, but I'm gay for you Joker-kun" problem.

We still have 3rd guy as well, who we know nothing about.

I would wager they're very much aware.

I wanna believe, but P4 was really fucking bad about this. P4D and especially Arena were bad, too. PQ was so apocalyptically terrible about it that I almost felt personally insulted by it. I have zero faith that Atlus are actually going to tackle this subject, let alone doing it respectfully.

disclaimer: I actually like this series.

Zolo

I wanna believe, but P4 was really fucking bad about this. P4D and especially Arena were bad, too. PQ was so apocalyptically terrible about it that I almost felt personally insulted by it. I have zero faith that Atlus are actually going to tackle this subject, let alone doing it respectfully.

Yeah. This is why I have my reservations if they'd specifically tackle LGBT issues.

Kanji's gay representation in his dungeon was essentially the 'exaggerated, wild' part of it rather than it being the true side which.....is bad.

Naoto's story emphasizes about how she could never be a man even if her problem wasn't actually being transgender.

Erika's dead-named in the Catherine artbook.

Squire

Banned

I found P4 disappointing in this (and only this) regard, but still totally commendable. Atlus was broaching these topics long before there was a call for developers to do so like there is now. They were covering VERY rarely charted territory for video games.

The spin-offs you mention weren't written or directed by Hashino. The only games you can you can really use as barometers for P5s thematic/narrative (or any other) aspirations are P3, P4, and Catherine.

If P4 was their attempt at tackling or even just acknowledging LGBT issues, it was a complete failure in every conceivable way. Neither Kanji nor Naoto are actually LGBT, and their pairing was later really forced as if to really drive that point home.

Kanji's worry was that he was gay because of his not traditionally masculine hobbies, which is a stereotype. His sexuality is ultimately not set in stone, but let's be honest here he's totally not gay. This is everything his dungeon centered on and the possibility that he might be gay is only ever reacted to negatively, NEVER positively. The follow up is that there is no follow up. Kanji has to deal with the roles society has forced upon him because of his gender, which is a real but MUCH less controversial subject. Anyone or anything being gay is only ever occasionally joked about after that point. Kanji's crush on Naoto is later used to hammer in the point that he's definitely not gay.

This is completely recycled for Naoto, who has to deal with the roles society has forced upon her because of her gender, which is a real but much less controversial subject than being trans. And again, it's never followed up on. In fact, Naoto's femininity is really heavily emphasised to hammer in the point that she's definitely not trans. She's shy, gets embarrassed really easily, has giant knockers, etc. and the characters at every possible turn will encourage her to be more girly. The possibility that she's trans isn't reacted to negatively as much as just with disbelief. Of course, it did help that it isn't brought up until mere seconds before her boss fight, not really giving the writers much opportunity to put in any shitty jokes about it.

P4 teased it, but then basically went out of its way to say lmao just kidding we wouldn't actually do this. I know P4 is eight years old by this point, but recent entries in the series, Hashino involvement or no, don't exactly fill me with confidence.

tl;dr version: P4 doesn't have good LGBT representation because it literally has none, and it wants you to know that.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
If P4 was their attempt at tackling or even just acknowledging LGBT issues, it was a complete failure in every conceivable way. Neither Kanji nor Naoto are actually LGBT, and their pairing was later really forced as if to really drive that point home.

Kanji's worry was that he was gay because of his not traditionally masculine hobbies, which is a stereotype. His sexuality is ultimately not set in stone, but let's be honest here he's totally not gay. This is everything his dungeon centered on and the possibility that he might be gay is only ever reacted to negatively, NEVER positively. The follow up is that there is no follow up. Kanji has to deal with the roles society has forced upon him because of his gender, which is a real but MUCH less controversial subject. Anyone or anything being gay is only ever occasionally joked about after that point. Kanji's crush on Naoto is later used to hammer in the point that he's definitely not gay.

This is completely recycled for Naoto, who has to deal with the roles society has forced upon her because of her gender, which is a real but much less controversial subject than being trans. And again, it's never followed up on. In fact, Naoto's femininity is really heavily emphasised to hammer in the point that she's definitely not trans. She's shy, gets embarrassed really easily, has giant knockers, etc. and the characters at every possible turn will encourage her to be more girly. The possibility that she's trans isn't reacted to negatively as much as just with disbelief. Of course, it did help that it isn't brought up until mere seconds before her boss fight, not really giving the writers much opportunity to put in any shitty jokes about it.

P4 teased it, but then basically went out of its way to say lmao just kidding we wouldn't actually do this. I know P4 is eight years old by this point, but recent entries in the series, Hashino involvement or no, don't exactly fill me with confidence.

tl;dr version: P4 doesn't have good LGBT representation because it literally has none, and it wants you to know that.

Dunno how it was in the translation but in the JP version it felt very clear that, that wasn't the main takeaway. Their stories weren't about being gay or transgender, but more about how they felt uncomfortable about how society pushed certain gender ideas upon them. Throughout the game they learn to gain confidence with help of having the support net of the Investigation team to just be themselves and screw basically what everyone else thinks.
Basically just repeating what you already summed up there.

Sophia

Erika's dead-named in the Catherine artbook.

As a transgender woman myself, I just want to point out how unbelievably offensive this is. Deadnaming someone is probably one of the crappiest things you can do to a transgender person, short of physical or sexual violence. I really want them to tackle transgender issues again, to make up for the portrayal of Erica and give us a proper voice in a game that deals in the psychological issues of it's cast members, but I'm worried they won't get around to that given the lack of criticism (until recently) that Catherine was given over this issue. :\

Dunno how it was in the translation but in the JP version it felt very clear that, that wasn't the main takeaway. Their stories weren't about being gay or transgender, but more about how they felt uncomfortable about how society pushed certain gender ideas upon them. Throughout the game they learn to gain confidence with help of having the support net of the Investigation team to just be themselves and screw basically what everyone else thinks.

Yes, that's what I got into in the rest of my text wall. The opening is more directed at people who misrepresent P4 as having anything to do with LGBT issues, when it doesn't.

DNAbro

I was never really saw Naoto as an attempt of portraying LGBT issues. From the beginning her problems were about sexism and women in the workforce. I do admit the ball is dropped pretty hard on Kanji and the fact it is brought back as a recurring joke is kind of annoying. I get Yosuke is supposed to be kind of a dick, but seriously.

I have weird feelings about how it portrays it because Persona 4 was incredibly important to me in coming out. The whole entire thing of being truthful and accepting who you are was a fantastic message.

I'm just hoping P5 takes the opportunity that they set up for themselves.

Zolo

From the beginning her problems were about sexism and women in the workforce.
And not being taken seriously due to the age difference as well. That's why her shadow also includes her crying and talking about being treated like a child.
I'm always hesitant to recommend these games to LGBT friends because I'm like, "will they be offended by this thing in this game?"
I'd just warn them along with recommending it even if it may turn them off the game without giving it a chance.

Squire

Banned

Sp you're comfortable with judging one persons work based on the output of another? That seems odd.

Anyone made extended cuts of the stream Tokyo Tower-shot music? I'll try to do what I can if it's not already out there. I know it'll be getting some play in my car, anyway.

PK Gaming

I wouldn't put it as harshly as you, but ultimately I agree. I remember when the prevailing notion Re: Kanji's character was that it was open to interpretation, but it really isn't. The gay aspect of his character is just lipservice. All of that build up that implied his repressed sexuality as a cornerstone for his identity didn't really amount of to anything substantial. It was really ultimate about his struggle with "masculinity", which is honestly good on its own, but definitely not as interesting or relevant as being gay in Japan.

Not going to fault P5 it it doesn't pursue this subject either, but it would very damn cool and extremely topical if it did.

Lunar15

It's weird because, yeah, P4's ultimate message is good, but how they actual handle the concept of homosexuality or even sexual insecurity isn't really done well because it's not actually the writer's intent.

The actual message heart of the message still resonates, so I think that's why people saw Kanji in a completely different light. The idea of being honest with who you are and opening up to others is still relevant and powerful for people struggling with sexual issues, so that's why people really latched on to the idea.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
It's weird because, yeah, P4's ultimate message is good, but how they actual handle the concept of homosexuality or even sexual insecurity isn't really done well because it's not actually the writer's intent.

The actual message heart of the message still resonates, so I think that's why people saw Kanji in a completely different light. The idea of being honest with who you are and opening up to others is still relevant and powerful for people struggling with sexual issues, so that's why people really latched on to the idea.

Which I think is pretty cool actually. I just shrug a little when it's criticized for not being something that it doesn't even want to be. I think people should continue to ask and hope so that these themes and the various issues that can exist around them can be part of a future game.

In the sense give the devs a chance first to actually deal with these topics before criticizing how they handle them.

Top Bottom