• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Forge coming to Windows 10 later this year

RedSwirl

Microsoft seems to be straining real hard to justify Xbox at this point. I still don't think putting all its first party IP on Windows will suddenly invalidate Xbox. There are a ton of people who will still buy those games on Xbox over Windows, probably more than the number of people who'll buy it on Windows. How many Xbox One sales and Live subscriptions does Microsoft potentially think it'll lose by putting Halo, Gears, and Forza on Windows? The Xbox and Windows audiences aren't 100% the same.

Maztorre

I certainly was.

We have to work on things that are sustainable for the studio, and make sense for long term planning. This is something we wanted to do for Xbox One forgers for a long time and is of course an extension of the existing suite. This is a sustain beat for Halo 5 on Xbox One. It's certainly a big bonus that PC creators and players will get to play around in that sandbox, but that's not really the primary purpose of the tool.

We knew there'd be latent demands for a full version of the game (as there have been since H2 on Vista), but neither the time nor the finances make sense this far along the calendar. Halo Wars 2 will be a more palatable and straightforward example of the fact that we take PC gaming very seriously as an organization and a studio.

When Microsoft repeatedly claims they are invested in the PC platform and asks us to:

a) trust them this time, after a previous withdrawal from the platform where they provided no aftermarket support to ensure their customers could play their purchased games

b) use their own store instead of a range of existing storefronts that they had no problem supporting with a number of titles until they arbitrarily decided not to anymore

c) use their own executable format which is inferior to the existing Win32 format and is closed by design to Microsoft's benefit,

it makes it very hard to take any of the above seriously when major titles in the Halo series don't come to the platform (after arbitrarily being witheld from the PC, I might add) in favour of a mapmaking tool that only console owners actually benefit from.

This situation would be no different from CDProjket RED releasing Witcher games exclusively on their GOG platform, then throwing the mod tools onto Steam and claiming they "take their Steam customers very seriously as an organization and a studio". They would be slaughtered by the community and the press and rightly so.

The idea that that porting only the mapmaking tools for a console game is somehow servicing the PC market in some way is a complete joke. I realise that your intent as a studio with this release is to support your existing community (which is a laudable thing to do), but in the context of Microsoft's recent and current actions described above how else should PC customers react? It's clear Microsoft only care about PC customers so long as they only receive the occasional bone from them, provided it doesn't upset the xbox one market or its customer base, and on Microsoft's terms only. That doesn't work in an environment where they have direct competitors that are 100% focused on their PC customers, and also happen to offer some of the most commercially and critically successful FPS titles ever.

Shifty

Microsoft seems to be straining real hard to justify Xbox at this point. I still don't think putting all its first party IP on Windows will suddenly invalidate Xbox. There are a ton of people who will still buy those games on Xbox over Windows, probably more than the number of people who'll buy it on Windows. How many Xbox One sales and Live subscriptions does Microsoft potentially think it'll lose by putting Halo, Gears, and Forza on Windows? The Xbox and Windows audiences aren't 100% the same.

I agree, losing 'exclusivity' to another platform operated by the same company isn't going to stop console gamers from buying. Except maybe that one guy on Twitter.

Problem is, MS are dug so deep into the exclusivity hole at this point that it's going to take a while for them to find their way out again.

Akai__

its one of the most lively communities in the community section.

It's only that active, because every second post is a post that has the Kappa face in it and some people think it's literally Twitter.

Oh, and if only you knew what was happening during the like 28 HaloGAF |OT|'s we went through, even during the time where we had the arguably most disliked Halo games. lol

I'm glad for 343's accomplishment and ingenuity to bring Forge to PC. Kudos! I'm angry at Microsoft's mis-marketing of what the product is.

"Mis-marketing"? It clearly says what it is and what people can expect starting in the title. Then, when you actually read the thing, it becomes more than clear.

You people are just angry that it's not the full game and that's about it.

Maztorre

Sounds like they are testing waters to see how the fanbase will react to a PC version so they can gauge risk/reward.

Jesus Christ. Why do Microsoft need to "test the waters" for a game series that already succeeded on the PC platform and was only withdrawn for arbitrary reasons relating to their console business? If Bandai Namco can release anime ninja fighting games on PC to great success then how can Microsoft find it hard to justify releasing a Western sci-fi FPS on the platform that invented the western sc-fi FPS, a platform that already hosted games in this series?

There is no risk/reward as it relates to the PC market for Halo, this is about justifying their console business while simultaneously trying to lure people onto another iteration of their PC storefront in a piecemeal fashion.

GVFbI3L.gif

Trup1aya

I'm sure they've done the math.

The value of an Xbox gamer is that the guarunteed 30% cut on all 3rd party software sales, and the potential $60 XBL subscription. The console itself is just a means to and end.

There are some gamers who will choose to play on console, even if PC versions of the game they play come into existence.

MS has 3 types of customers to chase. 1) The console only gamer, 2) the console + PC gamer, 3) and the PC only gamer. Camp 1 alone offers relatively little room for growth. If the availability of these titles on PC encourage some gamers in camps 1 & 2 to forgo their consoles and subscriptions, MS hopes that the shear number of potential customers in camp 3 will offset those losses.

They surely would like to offer products that appeal to people in all of these camps at once, as it would offer them the largest consumer base

sangreal

I'm so confused at this announcement. Just release whole game on Windows, and make it cross play. Who cares about the mouse dudes.

They've literally been teasing bringing design tools for xbox games on Windows since 2006 when they showed off a 'POC' forza livery editor for windows. It has nothing to do with PC gaming

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I am very happy Halo Wars 2 was announced for PC, I am however curious how it will work out as it is on console too (micro and general control structure of the game) due to having controller support.

It does truly look like a step in the right direction that Microsoft have been saying the last couple of years.
Time will tell, but it sure is a start.

I guess E3 will tell us more about the future, at least for some upcoming games this year from Microsoft and their Xbox teams.

Edit: I also hope a lot of the issues with the store is fixed at this point, allowing more possibilities to tinker the game to our liking. Options for true fullscreen, borderless window and so on while also supporting SLI and whatnot properly.

Both things were considered very carefully during development and both versions will take full advantage of their respective systems strengths. in this case the shorthand for that without committing to specific features is "Creative Assembly REALLY knows PC RTS games inside out," and Halo Wars as a franchise has had some innovative and appropriate ways to make the game genre work on console. I think both audiences will be pleased and not feel compromised.

Sou Da

Both things were considered very carefully during development and both versions will take full advantage of their respective systems strengths. in this case the shorthand for that without committing to specific features is "Creative Assembly REALLY knows PC RTS games inside out," and Halo Wars as a franchise has had some innovative and appropriate ways to make the game genre work on console. I think both audiences will be pleased and not feel compromised.

Good god I hope this breathes some life into the RTS genre.

Dinjoralo

Between crap ports of big releases, and what may be a trend of only putting bite-sized chunks of games people actually want on the Windows Store, I'm getting tired of Microsoft's half-hearted "commitment" to PC gaming. Go all-in, or fuck off until you can be arsed to.

dr_rus

That thing was not built to convert Bone software to the UWP.

Oh, I'm sure they can fix that. Converting any Win32 app to UWP is infinitely more complex than converting a (fixed platform) XBO app to UWP.

That's sarcasm if you can't tell.

Fuchsdh

Between crap ports of big releases, and what may be a trend of only putting bite-sized chunks of games people actually want on the Windows Store, I'm getting tired of Microsoft's half-hearted "commitment" to PC gaming. Go all-in, or fuck off until you can be arsed to.

Which family member of yours did Microsoft kill, again?

Zedox

I truly understand why people would be "mad" at this since they want Halo on PC, but jeez. I can wait until Halo 6, Halo Wars 2 is coming this fall with PC (granted I probably won't buy it as I'm not that much of a RTS guy).

Funny how some people are talking about MS and their lack of commitment to PC gaming and they've been releasing and announcing games (and in this case tools) for PC for major Xbox Games. Ori, Gears: UE, Forza: Apex, Killer Instinct, QB all have been released while ReCore, Sea of Thieves, Halo Wars 2, Cuphead, and I guess Gigantic...lolololol, are all coming this year. So 343i releases a tool for their Halo 5 community on PC and it's (as I've seen numerous times) a "slap in the face"? Smh. As far as announcements go, the only Xbox One exclusive this year is Gears 4 (and I think that's gonna come to PC as well)

I would like a Halo on PC, and having the Forge part does suck since you know it is possible. Time and money-wise, it probably doesn't make any sense for 343i. Taking all that time to port, they could be working on a PC/Xbox version of Halo 6 and making sure that runs well on UWP (as it will be on UWP). I'm just making sense out of it. I do think a Halo 5 on PC would be awesome as Halo 5's gameplay is probably the best Halo gameplay to date, so I do empathize with PC gamers who want to play, but honestly it just seems like a lot of port begging.

Can Microsoft do it? They sure can. That's obvious. Will they, probably not this year...maybe after Halo 6 comes out and they release a "Reclaimer Collection" or something. We'll see what happens.

Either way, good stuff 343i, I tried out Forge but using a controller is just meh, I'll try it out on my PC (if it can handle it...lol) and see if I can come up with something.

"Hey everyone! We're going to release Halo 5 for Windows 10. We dont have a date yet. But as a teaser. Play this free mode for free until Q1 2017 when we release Halo 5, exclusively on Windows 10."

I'm really happy about Halo Wars 2 I can't wait to see more information

Seems like a fairly safe bet to make that Firefight will cap off the pre-E3 DLC, and then they'll announce Halo 5 PC that comes preloaded with the entire free-DLC run including bonus goodies like Forge.

CamHostage

"Mis-marketing"? It clearly says what it is and what people can expect starting in the title. Then, when you actually read the thing, it becomes more than clear.

No sir, I'm not angry that it's not the full game. Making the campaign work for PC would be a significant porting challenge that is not made simple (as some would think) by bringing over the engine for a Forge PC tool. Even the full Halo 5 online experience might be over-extending the team, as although the levels could be brought over (or largely re-created within whatever limitations Forge; I'm not particularly familiar with the tools to know its cap, if any, in relation to retail maps,) the challenges of server maintenance and managing expectations for a potentially massive influx of PC players would be a huge burden on MS and 343 that would only pay off if they also had monetization methods in place to pay for it all.

What I am saying, though, is that the marketing here is that "The Halo Forge Experience Comes to Windows 10 PC", and again, I see the ensuing press release as over-embellishing and ill-describing the Forge PC application since a vital part of the Forge experience is playing your Forge designs as well as enjoying other designers' Forge creations inside the Halo multiplayer online environment. They should have been more explicit in promoting this as an Xbox One companion application for PC rather than as a PC version of the "Forge Experience".

You can make maps on PC. You can have your Xbox Live Friends (as I read it, they intentionally capitalized "Enlist the help of Friends", but hopefully I'm reading too much into how open exchanging will be in the PC Forge?) test your maps on PC. But you cannot publish and enjoy your maps with an open community and everything else Halo 5 grants Forge creators on a PC. For that part of the Forge experience*, you will need an Xbox One and a copy of Halo 5.

*EDIT - ArsTechnica's interview on Forge for PC satisfies some of the complaints I have about the press release regarding limitations not of the app, since it does offer something more like structured gameplay than I'm giving it credit for. And also, I should give MS and 343 credit for not over-emphasizing gameplay in Forge PC since, although I do believe their intentions could have been clearer, they don't try to over-sell you that this is meant for gamers; it's meant for creators.

(BTW, I don't have a Win10 PC and at the moment don't even have my copy of Halo 5, so none of this affects me personally. I simply commiserate..)

So 343i releases a tool for their Halo 5 community on PC and it's (as I've seen numerous times) a "slap in the face"? Smh.

It's a great app, having Forge with K&M. I do need to not let my gripes about how it was announced (and just generally my lumping myself in with the crowd that's asking, "Why is MS being so weird with Halo and PC gamers?" ... I understand protecting exclusivity but there are ways of protecting the king while still giving some rooms in the castle if that's what they're interested in, like maybe releasing a F2P Halo in nations besides just Russia, or...) but in the end, it's worth celebrating what is here versus decrying what isn't. Kudos to 343 and MS for producing Forge for PC.

It's only that active, because every second post is a post that has the Kappa face in it and some people think it's literally Twitter.

Oh, and if only you knew what was happening during the like 28 HaloGAF |OT|'s we went through, even during the time where we had the arguably most disliked Halo games. lol

Its really not even that bad, a lot of the OTs over there are still far less active even if you take out the 'kappa'. There was a time where there were more posts about DotA 2 in the Madden thread than DotA OT. One time i thought i was in a division thread because it was literally a page or more of the division. I rarely ever see many threads actually talking about the game they are about once its been out for a while.

RedSwirl

The value of an Xbox gamer is that the guarunteed 30% cut on all 3rd party software sales, and the potential $60 XBL subscription. The console itself is just a means to and end.

There are some gamers who will choose to play on console, even if PC versions of the game they play come into existence.

MS has 3 types of customers to chase. 1) The console only gamer, 2) the console + PC gamer, 3) and the PC only gamer. Camp 1 alone offers relatively little room for growth. If the availability of these titles on PC encourage some gamers in camps 1 & 2 to forgo their consoles and subscriptions, MS hopes that the shear number of potential customers in camp 3 will offset those losses.

They surely would like to offer products that appeal to people in all of these camps at once, as it would offer them the largest consumer base

Good post.

I'm starting to think taking that risk will start to make more sense if Microsoft can make third party publishers actually give a shit about the Windows Store, at which point it hopes enough Windows customers will buy third party games from it. EA definitely won't because it has Origin.

If Microsoft sees the number of PC-only gamers as sufficient, it could also try making PC-specific games again. Bring back Microsoft Flight, bring back Age of Empires, maybe even make some new games. Though that still won't answer the "why not Halo and Gears" question.

Microsoft is still brushing up against a fundamental truth that has arisen: There are really any kinds of games left that only make sense on a console.

Zedox

It's a great app, having Forge with K&M. I am griping about how it was announced (and just generally lumping myself in with the crowd that's asking, "Why is MS being so weird with Halo and PC gamers?" ... I understand protecting exclusivity but there are ways of protecting the king while still giving some rooms in the castle if that's what they're interested in, like maybe releasing a F2P Halo in nations besides just Russia, or...) but in the end, it's worth celebrating what is here versus decrying what isn't. Kudos to 343 and MS for producing Forge for PC.

I honestly don't think MS is "protecting" exclusivity. If they were, all the games that I mentioned in my previous post would be on XBO only (ReCore wouldn't have been announced for Windows 10 as it was previously XBO exclusive). I really think it comes down to development time and complexity, supporting a community that already plays the game and development time of Halo 6.

This is honestly so cool. I have always thought it would be an amazing thing for Halo if they could split off Forge to its own program which was on PC as well as Xbox so that anyone could contribute to making maps for Halo.

CamHostage

I asked the folks at MS/343 and they confirmed that this unlocks free, full Forge-map play online w/ anyone on your friends list. (Plus, that means you'll be able to fight online w/ M+KB.) Not the same as automated matchmaking by a longshot, but still, free Halo 5 multi for Windows 10 isn't too shabby. My report for Ars: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/...forge-mode-are-coming-to-windows-10-for-free/

Well, great! The limitations are important to understand, which is still what frustrated me about the initial statement, but I'm glad that it can allow more or less structured gameplay and not just test running.

But...but...that is what the press release says. I guess people need stuff reworded for them to understand. *sigh* Hopefully people can just play "Halo 5 forge multiplayer" on PC and be happy. I doubt that will happen though. I do agree with the article that I wonder how the performance is going to be.

It always depends on the build tool, but dropping into a designed level versus testing the full experience of a level with proper rulesets is a little different, I would say. (Machkovech's article did not go into stats or team structuring outside the obviously missing Matchmaking functions, so there's still more to learn about what's possible and to what extent "Halo 5 Forge Multiplayer" can and will make people happy on PC versus what they will need Halo 5 Xbox One in order to fully enjoy on a long-term basis when they publish their map.) I think the press release was careful to not over-state the gameplay implications (because really, you're not going to get a totally complete experience out of just punching a few rounds about and checking the scoreboard,) but the specifics of what testing means inside Forge for PC is good to know.

I honestly don't think MS is "protecting" exclusivity. If they were, all the games that I mentioned in my previous post would be on XBO only (ReCore wouldn't have been announced for Windows 10 as it was previously XBO exclusive). I really think it comes down to development time and complexity, supporting a community that already plays the game and development time of Halo 6.

Eh, you have to treat major pieces differently than you do pawns. Halo is the king of the Xbox brand, so understandably, they are over-protective of it. But releasing Halo Online only in Russia, giving PC gamers Halo cellphone games but none of the real thing, stating in interviews that Halo MCC and other old Halo games in the vaults were only on Xbox simply because of time and money ... that's not the right way to play the chessboard. (And Gears is in a similar boat, I get Gear 4 being an Xbox One exclusive despite the move to PC with Forza and Halo Wars 2, but then porting just Gears 1 out of nowhere with seemingly no plans for any further Gears PC products just makes it confusing why they bothered with it in the first place.)

wwm0nkey

I asked the folks at MS/343 and they confirmed that this unlocks free, full Forge-map play online w/ anyone on your friends list. (Plus, that means you'll be able to fight online w/ M+KB.) Not the same as automated matchmaking by a longshot, but still, free Halo 5 multi for Windows 10 isn't too shabby. My report for Ars: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/...forge-mode-are-coming-to-windows-10-for-free/
Someone should make a new thread for this, again this is pretty much Halo 5: Custom Game Edition

Sweet.

Just needs a proper file and custom games browser and suddenly you have a full-fledged f2p multiplayer game.

Zedox

But...but...that is what the press release says. I guess people need stuff reworded for them to understand. *sigh* Hopefully people can just play "Halo 5 forge multiplayer" on PC and be happy. I doubt that will happen though. I do agree with the article that I wonder how the performance is going to be.

krang

Eesh, the port-begging in this thread.

It always felt that Forge would be better on a PC. I guess this is just a straight port (with 4K support)? Would be nice if they added isometric/orthogonal view and zoom support.

Kibbles

This is pretty wild. When I saw they introduced textures in the last update I was like damn, 343 isn't playing around, they are doing almost everything they can without having a PC editor, and here we are.

Maztorre

Dat persecution complex. Do you realise how obnoxious it is to claim PC customers should just bend over for scraps of the multiplayer mode of a Halo game, and "be happy" about it? Because hey, where else are PC customers going to go for FPS games, right? It's not like there are 2 major platforms on PC hosting massively popular FPSes that put their PC customers first.

Very cool news. Perhaps 343 is testing the water for pc based map editing for future titles. I've always wanted a full map editor on pc like Custom Edition had. Would be cool to build a map on PC, do some on the fly spawn modifications while testing on Xbox, and then fine tune the details on PC.

Halo 5 development began more than three years ago, before UWP existed, and further was a massive overhaul of an engine that still has some legacy code and elements going more than a decade back before that. It has zero relation to the scenario you describe.

Hey Frankie, does this mean that Halo 5 is running on some iterated version of the original Blam engine? If so, is the game still using .map file structure? The engine seems very modular.

The large iterations of the engine have been a huge strength of the series. Loading single player and multiplayer maps the way Halo does has created a really good sense of continuity from game to game.

Kssio_Aug

Good for you, I mean it, really. But it's also a slap in the face for all the absolutely gigantic amount of people that would love to play actual Halo 5 on PC, and now they can just toy with the map creation tool.

Well... if you think like this, every game in the world that's not released for PC is a huge slap in the face of PC gamers. Pretty silly this line of thought.

I blame that Fata1moose guy.

Tecnniqe

Banned

Sounds lovely. Cant wait for more information.

SOR5

Someone should make a new thread for this, again this is pretty much Halo 5: Custom Game Edition

They really need to rename it to that, Forge: Halo 5 Edition is a wonky arse name.

Halo 5 Forge + Custom Games is fine
Halo 5 Custom Game Edition
Halo 5 Customizer Edition

Forge Halo 5 Ediition sounds like Halo 5 themed DLC for a series called Forge

Bossniak

Very cool news. Perhaps 343 is testing the water for pc based map editing for future titles. I've always wanted a full map editor on pc like Custom Edition had. Would be cool to build a map on PC, do some on the fly spawn modifications while testing on Xbox, and then fine tune the details on PC

Halo 5 Custom Editon, I like the sound of that. Brings back some fond memories of Halo Custom Edition just need a server browser :p

LordRaptor

Well... if you think like this, every game in the world that's not released for PC is a huge slap in the face of PC gamers. Pretty silly this line of thought.

What games on any platform have creation tools available for a title that is not available?

This is literally the only example I can think of. Its really not surprising PC gamers are slightly bemused.

nillapuddin

CoTvxVx.gif

(only forge gif I have)

Im down for this

I really think this guy gets it

at the end of the day, "casual gamers" will always prefer the plug and play nature of an Xbox, I dont feel like Halo being on W10 is going to lose xbox player as much as some people think.

Fingers crossed for Halo 6

SpartanN92

Banned
So what does this mean?

Does this mean that PC users will be making maps for console users or is it just Forge/Customs for PC?

Top Bottom