• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Announced: New 3D handheld (no glasses!), reveal @ E3, out by March 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
AndyD said:
This is more of a general E3 3D question.
How will it come across in videos and whatnot? Without being there to see the stuff in 3D, we will have to rely more and more on impressions from gaming media, which is not always a good thing.

It won't come across at all in video. You'll have to rely on second hand information here. Most likely Nintendo will have to have hundreds of kiosks set up for this, because they can't demonstrate it on-screen during their presentation, unless they have a 3D setup with press wearing glasses, or they bugged Panasonic to lend them an 3D television that doesn't require them (both hugely unlikely).

PSGames

Doorman said:
*Wakes up, lazily gets some cereal, hops online to check some news and so forth*

*"Nintendo announces new handheld, 3-D without glasses"*

....WHAAAAAAAAAT?!

Pretty much my reaction so far today. E3 is going to be stellar this year with an announcement like this already coming, because it means that chances are, Sony will try and show off at least something of their new PSP to counter it. If the 3DS beats them to the market, the DS brand loyalty and developer base is so strong that I'm not sure they'd be able to legitimately challenge.

What really has me curious, though, is why Nintendo felt the need to drop this bomb on a random Tuesday morning in March and not wait for some sort of reveal event. I shouldn't be surprised by Nintendo doing something a little crazy, but what's the strategy of their timing here?

I wouldn't be surprised if they expect Sony to announce a PSP2 soon. Remember when they announced the Motion+ accessory minutes before MS's E3 conference where it was strongly rumored they were going to announce a "wiimote" for the xbox?

Haunted

Not being able to see this effect during presentations will be a huge bummer. Either it's the face tracking after all (which enables us to see it anyway) or we'll miss out because the 3DS has some special screens.

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Reposting from last page:

Will 3D create new gameplay ideas?
It can, but doesn't necessarily have to. It'll change the way some games are played, but won't create new genres or anything.

Deku

Banned
GDGF said:
OK so assuming Nintendo sticks with Sharp for its screens (and there's no reason we know of why they wouldn't) then this old bit of info might be useful. http://news.cnet.com/2100-1040-978499.html

Now, that's from 2002. Sharp and Nintendo have had eight years (possibly nine by the time this launches) to bring down the price and improve the technology. I think we might see a combination of this tech and the pseudo 3D headtracking tech going on in that DSi game that's popped up a billion times in this thread. Just a hunch.

This is not a question of IF. They are sticking with Sharp.

Sharp is a world leader in LCD technology and they get access to Sharp's tech without having to spend a dime buying factories or entering into joint ventures. It's one of the most understated business alliances. If you think about the number of handhelds they've sold all the way back to Game and Watch and how Sharp has supplied every one of those screens.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Dragona Akehi said:
It won't come across at all in video. You'll have to rely on second hand information here. Most likely Nintendo will have to have hundreds of kiosks set up for this, because they can't demonstrate it on-screen during their presentation, unless they have a 3D setup with press wearing glasses, or they bugged Panasonic to lend them an 3D television that doesn't require them (both hugely unlikely).

They'll probably be more than happy to run promo videos though, like they usually do. 20-somethings and grandmas playing 3D games all happy and whatnot, the 3D effect likely simulated for the vid.

BooJoh said:
My most immediate concern is whether or not I can transfer my DSiWare library to it. Something tells me the answer is no.

Next generation will be the first leap between having part of your game library on your old machine, it'll be interesting to see how they deal with that. I think it'll be 'REBUY YOUR CLASSICS! AGAIN!', but hope it'd cause a hellish uproar.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Trying to picture what a 3d handheld game might look like in my head. I've never seen a 3d movie or anything of the sorts. This might be interesting.

Xater

Stumpokapow said:
Yes, Sony is going to engineer a new console in the next three months in time to demo it with a robust software library.

We already have heard a couple of times about a possible PSP2 at E3. Now after Nintendo let this bombshell loose they have to show it.

Mik2121

LCfiner said:
there's two philosophies in this thread.

1. they will use head tracking camera and all 3D will be self contained within the screens. I think this poses problems for ergonomics (keeping your head still, requiring a well lit room) and isn't a big enough step up to warrant new hardware. but the pro for nintendo is that its super cheap.

2. there's special screens that offer slightly different views to the left and right eyes and produce a 3D image that appears to extend outside the depth of the screen itself. it's been used on some cell phones in japan. this would allow for 3D without glasses but you need to look at the screen within a narrow range of angles.

i think option 1 doesn't warrant new hardware since it can already be done on the DS1 and it's not impressive or flexible enough for all new software to take advantage of it.

option 2 is a bit more pie in the sky but could actually be cool enough to justify Nintendo phasing out the DSi.
Uhm, so weird.. I've never seen the Wooo phone in any store, even though it's supposedly been available since Spring 2009. I will have to go and check again, see if they still sell it.

yankee666

Excellent news!!!!. Cant wait for E3. I hope that they show the hardware as well some of the games there. Im thinking one of them will be SUPER MARIO BROS 3DS :D

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Xater said:
We already have heard a couple of times about a possible PSP2 at E3. Now after Nintendo let this bombshell loose they have to show it.

It's possible for a company to cut a few corners to react in a more timely way to its competition.

It's not possible for a company to 180 their project direction or change it in a meaningful way to react in a more timely way to its competition.

Anyone who thinks that this minor press release is a strategic blunder that will result in Sony stealing the limelight from Nintendo is stupid.

If this didn't come straight from Nintendo's site, I would think this was an early April Fool's joke. I can still hardly believe it: 3DS? The name even sounds fake, but it's really coming! I can't wait to see it.

Oh, and I guess I can hold off on the DSi XL after all.

Tiktaalik

I hope they launch with a bunch of updates to Virtual Boy franchises. That would be incredibly awesome. Teleroboxer 3DS + Red Alarm 3DS? That would be very cool.

minus_273 said:
if the DS has a resoultion of 720p are we seeing a situation where the handheld is more powerful than the console?

It's certainly possible.
It'll also be interesting to see if a lot of western devs jump on it early on because it's powerful.

Deku

Banned
Darkness said:
Trying to picture what a 3d handheld game might look like in my head. I've never seen a 3d movie or anything of the sorts. This might be interesting.

at worst, the gui will appear to float on a different plane and top down games may have particles exploding up into the screen.

I don't know why, but I keep thinking about what Jackal Rebirth might be like on the 3DS

Tiktaalik

Ricker said:
I think this is false...the freakin DS XL isn`t even out yet,way to go announcing a newer DS before a new one that isnt even out yet?...c`mon...

GBA SP+ and GBA Micro released right before the DS.

Gino

Easy_D said:
Metroid 3Dread will be delicious.
man... 2.5d style metroid in 3D would be so fucking awesome. Samus running along and shit popping out at you... Not to mention New New New super mario bros.

You just got me really excited for this.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Tiktaalik said:
I hope they launch with a bunch of updates to Virtual Boy franchises. That would be incredibly awesome. Teleroboxer 3DS + Red Alarm 3DS? That would be very cool.

ahahaha high 5, what convenient timing this announcement has versus the thread from the other day!

realistically though teleroboxer 3d would be branded punch out and red alarm 3d would be branded star fox :/

Gnub

I saw the news on a tech news site, watched the video posted there and rushed over see if the news killed GAF servers. :lol With all the Final Fantasy remakes on the DS will we get a 3D FF7 on the 3DS?

Wedbush Morgan analysts Michael Pachter has told CVG that the just-announced Nintendo 3DS will need to have more of a "breakthough in gameplay" than just a 3D display - otherwise other firms like Apple will simply mimic it.

Pachter mused over how Nintendo might achieve 3D without the use of glasses. "I don't understand the technology behind a 3D display that doesn't require glasses. If it's so easy to do, why would Samsung put out 3D HDTVs that require glasses? My guess is that Nintendo has figured something out that is either very cool and advanced, or is a gimmick, and until I see it, I really won't know."

Pachter went on to comment: "What's interesting to me is that Nintendo is so bold. It seems that if 3D on portable devices was easy, Apple would have beat them to it. If they truly pioneer a technology, my guess is that Apple will mimic the technology. Without a real breakthrough in game play (as happened with the DS), I'm not sure that this device will do much more than serve as a replacement for current DS owners."

What do you reckon, readers? Is 3D enough to get you excited for a new (probably more powerful - considering it's confirmed to be the "successor" to) DS?

Nintendo this morning revealed the 3DS which it plans to release by the end of March 2011. Which is excitingly soon, by the way.

Yeah, if it's so easy to do, then why haven't we seen it done before? Like in 2003, why wasn't anyone releasing a laptop back then that could do this? There's no way we could find out anything about parallax barriers from Google.

Gnub said:
I saw the news on a tech news site, watched the video posted there and rushed over see if the news killed GAF servers. :lol With all the Final Fantasy remakes on the DS will we get a 3D FF7 on the 3DS?

FF5 and 6 remakes first, please.
And cel shaded!

tzare

Sirolf said:
For 1), it's REALLY possible that Ninty knows that the PSP2 has already 3D tech in it too...
that would be, amongst others, one reason to justify this early announcement.

I am not sold on 3d, maybe being old and seeing it fail before.... well, on a portable machine, maybe they will surprise us but i see it even less but who knows :D

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
hosannainexcelsis said:
If this didn't come straight from Nintendo's site, I would think this was an early April Fool's joke. I can still hardly believe it: 3DS? The name even sounds fake, but it's really coming! I can't wait to see it.

Oh, and I guess I can hold off on the DSi XL after all.
The name is a code name, says it is the temp name in the press release. I will be surprised if they stick with it.

swerve

It's not going to be 720p. ESPECIALLY not if it needs to render each frame twice.

It'll be something like double the DS resolution, which will look awesome at that size and will still allow them to do the extra grunt-work needed for 3D on a low-drain, not-too-pricey chip.

Remember their priorities guys. Cheap, long-life, efficient, fun. What part of that requires 720p?

iPhone is 480-by-320 and looks easily beautiful enough, resolution wise. 3DS can be marginally higher than that, with some more 3D grunt behind it and some nicer graphics support, and the generational difference will be *huge*.

chifanpoe

AceBandage said:
It's certainly possible.
It'll also be interesting to see if a lot of western devs jump on it early on because it's powerful.

I don't think power will be the deciding factor, most 3rd party devs tend to be a bit gun shy around Nintendo hardware as third party games tend to not sell so well.

Though in Japan many 3rd party games to sell well for the DS.

GCX

I just love how Nintendo announces stuff like this on random Tuesday mornings.

"Oh btw, we're making this 3D successor to the best-selling game console of all time. Just thought you'd like to know. Bye."

Tiktaalik

Stumpokapow said:
ahahaha high 5, what convenient timing this announcement has versus the thread from the other day!

realistically though teleroboxer 3d would be branded punch out and red alarm 3d would be branded star fox :/

I hope one of the colour schemes is a red top and black bottom or something. STEALTH VIRTUAL BOY HOMAGE.

Miau

Neo Member
Waking up and reading this... Holy shit :O

This better be a good implementation. My DS Phat needs a replacement.:lol

Durante

It's not going to be stereoscopic 3D. You heard it here first.

selig said:
Some, sure. But more importantly, 3D will be a major visual upgrade, much more important than HD. If it works well enough, it´ll change the way we perceive games, completely.
But obviously the same 3D that changes "the way we perceive games, completely" here is just a gimmick when playing any PC title in 3D Vision.

Mik2121

BTW just an idea for the DSWare stuff..

... Couldn't they just release some sort of app for the DSi and 3DS where you connect your machine to the Nintendo website with all your info, and once you upload the info from the DSi, you can download it from your 3DS?.

I guess it could make sense, and having to use the Nintendo website they could track down any people trying to download stuff that he doesn't own (like, for example, limiting the downloads to only one machine at a time, or needing to have both consoles connected at the same time and limit the content to just one machine, etc..)

chifanpoe said:
I don't think power will be the deciding factor, most 3rd party devs tend to be a bit gun shy around Nintendo hardware as third party games tend to not sell so well.

Though in Japan many 3rd party games to sell well for the DS.

They don't sell well because they put low quality products on Nintendo hardware.
It has nothing to do with it being made by Nintendo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom