• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Announced: New 3D handheld (no glasses!), reveal @ E3, out by March 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

chifanpoe

swerve said:
It's not going to be 720p. ESPECIALLY not if it needs to render each frame twice.

It'll be something like double the DS resolution, which will look awesome at that size and will still allow them to do the extra grunt-work needed for 3D on a low-drain, not-too-pricey chip.

Remember their priorities guys. Cheap, long-life, efficient, fun. What part of that requires 720p?

You certainly right about that. I bet they well be more along the lines of two 360x240 or some wide screen equivalent for both. (DS is what 256 x 192 per screen?)

Acosta said:
I thought you first post after the announcement of the effective death of 2D gaming would be more dramatic.

2D gaming will be fine.

It's Nintendo's shit that's gonna be all retarded.

What has James Cameron done?!

3D Furry movie prints money, Nintendo decides 3D Furry space game will print money. :|

cory

Banned
Well, they announced the DS in January with E3 in May. That means they're playing this one month closer to their chest- but they can afford to. Hopefully this isn't just for Shiggy's shiggles, but I am looking forward to it; Pokémon G5 would be a great launch title.
I wonder if Sony is going to crank up the "fun" factor of the PSP2 in response.

LCfiner

Drkirby said:
The name is a code name, says it is the temp name in the press release. I will be surprised if they stick with it.

really? I think the name is genius.

it emphasis the 3D aspect of the device and acknowledges the success of the DS.

it's a great fit.

The Take Out Bandit said:
2D gaming will be fine.

3D Furry movie prints money, Nintendo decides 3D Furry space game will print money. :|

Starfox 3D, you say?
Hell yes!

Shiggy

Mik2121 said:
BTW just an idea for the DSWare stuff..

... Couldn't they just release some sort of app for the DSi and 3DS where you connect your machine to the Nintendo website with all your info, and once you upload the info from the DSi, you can download it from your 3DS?.

I guess it could make sense, and having to use the Nintendo website they could track down any people trying to download stuff that he doesn't own (like, for example, limiting the downloads to only one machine at a time, or needing to have both consoles connected at the same time and limit the content to just one machine, etc..)

Think about it again. It's the NINTENDO 3DS.

UncleSporky said:
Yeah, if it's so easy to do, then why haven't we seen it done before? Like in 2003, why wasn't anyone releasing a laptop back then that could do this? There's no way we could find out anything about parallax barriers from Google.

Patcher's assessment is bush-league because the handheld gaming experience is so obviously different from a TV viewing experience where your viewing angles have to be much wider and the distance your viewer is from the screen is much greater.

Mik2121

2D gaming will be fine.

Starfox for 3DS confirmed?!

thefro

Only on page 13 of the thread, but if they already have the camera doing tracking wouldn't it be pretty easy to stick a LED light on the stylus and be able to touch stuff in 3D space?

Dogenzaka

Banned
speedpop said:
The DSi was the new GB Micro. Anyone who didn't see that and then complain about it should be slapped.

I thought it was PLAINLY obvious that it was just a revision alternative to the DS. How many DSi exclusive games are there, anyway? One?

This would be a nice upgrade from my trusty DS Lite

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
swerve said:
It's not going to be 720p. ESPECIALLY not if it needs to render each frame twice.

It'll be something like double the DS resolution, which will look awesome at that size and will still allow them to do the extra grunt-work needed for 3D on a low-drain, not-too-pricey chip.

Remember their priorities guys. Cheap, long-life, efficient, fun. What part of that requires 720p?
Who here is already in a state that isnt' "OMG 3D HANDHELD WTF HYPE HYPE HYPE!" to be able to even argue that for it to be 720p? 480p on a 4" screen would have a higher pixel density then a 17 inch 1080p monitor (I think, anyone want to correct me here?)

Josh7289

I have a shitload amount of work today, so I was planning on shutting myself off from the Internet for the whole day, and I joked to myself that by choosing to stay offline today all kinds of crazy stuff would happen that I'd miss, like the announcement of the next DS. I'm glad I checked. :lol

Also, some thoughts. Just like with the regular DS, Nintendo is doing something totally than its Sony competitor. I mean, assuming the PSP2 is just a very powerful standard handheld, probably with a touch screen now. I don't think it'll have 3D... at least not 3D you can use with the naked eye. Actually, how is that done?

"I don't understand the technology behind a 3D display that doesn't require glasses. If it's so easy to do, why would Samsung put out 3D HDTVs that require glasses?

Pachter doesnt know hot to use google confirmed

It seems that if 3D on portable devices was easy, Apple would have beat them to it.

I guess it aint so easy...

Durante said:
It's not going to be stereoscopic 3D. You heard it here first.

But obviously the same 3D that changes "the way we perceive games, completely" here is just a gimmick when playing any PC title in 3D Vision.

Cut the crap. While selig is being an idiot, there are legitimate reasons for not liking how 3D is currently being implemented in televisions, such as the need for glasses. If the 3DS is actually 3D without the requirement of glasses, this is a huge step forward.

zigg

swerve said:

I'm leaning toward a pair of 320×240 screens, the top one doubled-up and sandwiched with a parallax barrier to do 3-D, which gives them iPhone resolution in total. DS and DSi games will be letter+pillarboxed in a position that makes up for the "negligible" gap so that those games display properly and without blurry scaling. DS gap is roughly 92 pixels, there'd be 2 black lines on the outside edges and 46 black lines on the inside, assuming no gap on the 3DS. Sides would be pillarboxed by 32 pixels on either side.

LCfiner

Durante said:
It's not going to be stereoscopic 3D. You heard it here first.

But obviously the same 3D that changes "the way we perceive games, completely" here is just a gimmick when playing any PC title in 3D Vision.

i see you're back to the pessimistic viewpoint. :D

hey, E3 will make fools of half the people in this thread, one way or another.

can't wait.

linsivvi

BooJoh said:
Seriously.. why announce it now instead of waiting for E3?

I see two major flaws here:

1) Sony now has time to prep a counter-announcement for E3.

How long did it take Sony to create a Wiimote rip off? Oh right it's not even out yet. Releasing new hardware involves a long R&D process that could take years, it's not a game.

Why announce it now? Fiscal year ending, financial report coming, and both Wii and NDS sales are down from a year ago. Isn't it obvious?

Pachimari

If we go by the DSi game, imagine a Pokémon game. You turn the 3DS and it reveals hidden items and pokéballs behind objects, trees, stones etc. Pretty cool and a "change" in gameplay.

madara

2D gaming will be fine.

I'm sure Nintendo had this in the wings before Avatar. Hell I've been saying it would be nice to see depth perception 3D on handhelds for three years now so I'm hoping this isn't tacked on.

[Nintex]

Haunted said:
I'm already looking forward to the Iwata Asks about this.
Iwata: "And then you wanted to use 3D right?"

Takeda: "Yes, even Mr. Miyamoto said I was crazy but I really wanted to get this done!"

Iwata: "And I warned you not to make an Ultra 64* again!"

Ultra 64: codename of the Nintendo 64(horrible to program for - Iwata)

Miyamoto: "Or Virtual Boy*!"

Virtual Boy: First 3D game device created by Nintendo.

Iwata: "And the first concept looked like... a Virtual Boy!(Laughs)"

Miyamoto: "I thought Mr. Takeda found an interesting way to write his resignation letter."

All: (Laughs)

Takeda: "But I was serious!"

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I just want multitouch.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Dragona Akehi said:
Cut the crap. While selig is being an idiot, there are legitimate reasons for not liking how 3D is currently being implemented in televisions, such as the need for glasses. If the 3DS is actually 3D without the requirement of glasses, this is a huge step forward.

Stero3D is indeed the only foreseeable way in which I will endorse 3D in TV/Movies/Games, provided it doesn't give me a headache, of course.

I just feel bad for all those with weaker/no vision in one eye. Will there be an option to turn it off so it doesn't look funky for them?

LCfiner

[Nintex] said:

Takeda: "Yes, even Mr. Miyamoto said I was crazy but I really wanted to get this done!"

Miyamoto: "I thought Mr. Takeda found an interesting way to write his resignation letter."

:lol

shockingly accurate

Vagabundo

Dragona Akehi said:
`
Or backwards, if this thing gives me a migrane....

I'll probably still play it, while slowly going blind...

pakkit

Banned
3D...without glasses.

Screen overlays? Projection? What the hell, Nintendo?! TELL ME.

But seriously, hype through the roof.

Lijik

[Nintex] said:

(Laughs)

Mik2121

Dragona Akehi said:

"...during the fiscal year ending March 2011, on which games can be enjoyed with 3D effects without the need for any special glasses."

They even bolded it on their PR.

Its also just occurred that this is really it. This is the answer to all that insane pre-Wii hype. This is Holograms as a reality :lol

Whether you perceive Holograms as something that needs to be projected outwards onto another surface or not, the term 'Hologram' has also been given to 3d trading cards/posters and such that do not require glasses and simulate depth.

So here we are. 2011, hologram games are here!

Rapping Granny said:
That's nuts.

I still don't get why they are realising a new hardware, isn't the DS still outselling everything every month in every region?

Yes, but the DS already peaked in both sales and software.
It's taken multiple revisions to keep it afloat.
There's really no major software (aside from a few like Golden Sun and DQ9 in NA) left to release.

Trickster

What a thread to wake up to :lol

Sounds very interesting, I'm wondering when the "3d is a gimmick" crowd will show up though, should spice things up :D

swerve

Anastacio said:
If we go buy the DSi game, imagine a Pokémon game. You turn the 3DS and it reveals hidden items and pokéballs behind objects, trees, stones etc. Pretty cool and a "change" in gameplay.

I don't think it's going to involve you turning the system - 3D screens require you to be looking from a pretty static position and I *highly* doubt they have some new system which adapts the physical screen in real-time to the view angle.

linsivvi said:
How long did it take Sony to create a Wiimote rip off? Oh right it's not even out yet. Releasing new hardware involves a long R&D process that could take years, it's not a game.

I guess he believes Sony already is working on the PSP2 with 3D capabilities, so do I. Therefore they could very well unveil the PSP2 at E3, maybe earlier than intended. But of course if they didn't, we won't see anything like it from Sony this year...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom