• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming June 2016 | Be still my growing backlog, summer is here

Voidance

Yup, shit. Can't believe they never patched it either. I much preferred it to the sequel :/
It actually got patched about a month ago. I can't quite recall the patch notes, but they were brief (maybe something about iOS 9 compatibility) so I thought it would stick around.

killercow

It actually got patched about a month ago. I can't quite recall the patch notes, but they were brief (maybe something about iOS 9 compatibility) so I thought it would stick around.

It's still working fine on my iPad on iOS 9.3.3 so they must have patched it. Still really weird to remove it from the store.

Oynox

Another Awesome Aussie game from Featherweight Studios (and more Ex-Halfbrick guys like me) - Rodeo Stampede!
I absolutely love this game and I think the ad integration is quite smart. Watching ads to double your coins is great. However I absolutely do not like that you only get one mission ever 5 hours or so and that you have to watch an ad to get a new one. Considering you need to complete around 14 missions to move to the last Savanna place, that would make 70 hours, roughly three days of constant short term playing every 5 hours. It hinders me from playing the game fluently, I feel
Like I am not achieving anything if I have done the missions and cannot catch new animals. On the flip side I do not feel like watching 14 ads in a row. Maybe you may change something about the system which keeps your income up as well.

Redungeon looks a lot like Rust Bucket, the latter of which I didn't enjoy. I might pick it up the runner to see if it's any better. (I like both types of games)
Not like Rust Bucket at all. It's basically endless trap avoidance, and a lot of fun. There's enough of a sense of urgency to push you forward, but also enough breathing room to time your movements around hazards and enemies

Pachimari

I'm gonna give Redungeon a go later just because it's free.

I'm really keeping my eyes on Teeny Titans, Perchang, Hyberburner and Battle Cars at the moment.

Pachimari

Battle Cars? Got a link

I have the rest and they're all great. This was a really good week for iOS releases

Oh, I don't think it's out yet. Unfortunately I'm not at my iPad so I can't check up on it.

It looks a lot like Micro Machines V3, which is why I'm curious about it. Many games have tried replicating the gameplay, but this one looks the closest. Comes with 10 levels and online multiplayer. Do anyone know when the official Micro Machines is out of soft launch?

Anyone else playing Smash Squad?

I kinda really like it. The play style is pretty fresh for this type of game and the character design is off the CHAIN.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I reinstalled Ultimate MK3 on the iPad. Wow. This game plays so well and looks and performs great on these new iPads. I wish they could still sell this with online multiplayer.

sheaaaa

Can't believe I'm saying this (hate virtual buttons) but Redungeon is much, much better with the buttons than the default swiping. Go into the settings to change. Feels much more precise and speedier, which you actually need to be!

Pachimari

Can't believe I'm saying this (hate virtual buttons) but Redungeon is much, much better with the buttons than the default swiping. Go into the settings to change. Feels much more precise and speedier, which you actually need to be!
I'll try this, thanks.

Started up Lara Croft Go again and it's seriously good. I progressed further than I did the last time around. Still at book 1.

I'm still contemplating getting either Hyperburner or Perchang.

I'll try this, thanks.

Started up Lara Croft Go again and it's seriously good. I progressed further than I did the last time around. Still at book 1.

I'm still contemplating getting either Hyperburner or Perchang.
Very different, really boils down to what kind of game you're most interested in playing. Hyperburner is simple reflex-testing evasion with a great sense of speed and a cohesive sci-fi atmosphere. Perchang is a Lemmings-meets-Rube-Goldberg-machine puzzler, with a variety of interesting contrapations and physics-based challenges

Agreed, but I'd prefer a smaller virtual d-pad that I can easily use one handed.

I end up using both my thumbs and most of the times I die in the game its because I hit the wrong direction with one of my thumbs.

Zenge is on sale for free today
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/zenge/id1068416637
screen640x640.jpeg

Oynox

Most in this thread are playing it currently. Wonderful game.

Jep. But I really have criticism about the ads this time. While Skiing Yeti Mountain was kind of a premium title, this one's progression is really hidden behind an indestructible ad wall. I do not know how many ads I already watched, I even watch so many ads that I am planing with the ads, since I cannot watch as many ads as I "would like".

Main problem are the missions which only pop up every 5-6 hours regularly. But to progress and also earn money (which you need to progress), you need to complete like 20 missions... that is either 100 hours of playing (4-5 days) or watch 10 minutes worth of ads. Right now I am in the last region of the Savanna and I need 2,5g Gold to proceed to the Jungle, however I still need to upgrade 8 habitats. Currently I need around 600-1000 Gold for every upgrade, I already got all habitats on level 4 so I get 50% more income from everything.

However, I am stuck at this level quite some time now and I do not know how long and more importantly, how many ads it will take me to get to the jungle.

I wish there was a more reasonably IAP which did not felt like a rip of like in every other F2P game. Even the cash cow for 5 bucks sounds lame, just doubling your tickets.

Other topic, iOS controllers: I already read that the Stratus XL is without a question the best controller. But firstly I was wondering if it will be possible to link ever Bluetooth controller. Because if it would, we had access to the coming Xbox One controller. Otherwise I am looking for a very smart portable controller, the Normal Stratus looks nice. How is that?

I like Rodeo Stampede but I just want to catch animals, I don't care about the other stuff. It lacks that immediacy that Crossy Road has, which is a shame cuz it has the potential to have that same addictive quality. It has "structural" issues.

killercow

Other topic, iOS controllers: I already read that the Stratus XL is without a question the best controller. But firstly I was wondering if it will be possible to link ever Bluetooth controller. Because if it would, we had access to the coming Xbox One controller. Otherwise I am looking for a very smart portable controller, the Normal Stratus looks nice. How is that?

The Stratus XL isn't the best controller money can buy. If you're playing on an iPad, look for the Gamevice or the Sratus Nimbus. If you're on an iPhone though, I'd recommend the C.T.R.L.i.

As for playing with another controller like the Playstation 3's Dualshock, you can but you'll need to be jailbroken and install the tweak called Controller4all. Works like a charm afterwards.

sheaaaa

Jep. But I really have criticism about the ads this time. While Skiing Yeti Mountain was kind of a premium title, this one's progression is really hidden behind an indestructible ad wall. I do not know how many ads I already watched, I even watch so many ads that I am planing with the ads, since I cannot watch as many ads as I "would like".

Main problem are the missions which only pop up every 5-6 hours regularly. But to progress and also earn money (which you need to progress), you need to complete like 20 missions... that is either 100 hours of playing (4-5 days) or watch 10 minutes worth of ads. Right now I am in the last region of the Savanna and I need 2,5g Gold to proceed to the Jungle, however I still need to upgrade 8 habitats. Currently I need around 600-1000 Gold for every upgrade, I already got all habitats on level 4 so I get 50% more income from everything.

However, I am stuck at this level quite some time now and I do not know how long and more importantly, how many ads it will take me to get to the jungle.

I wish there was a more reasonably IAP which did not felt like a rip of like in every other F2P game. Even the cash cow for 5 bucks sounds lame, just doubling your tickets.

Had downloaded the game but deleted it after reading this. Don't have the time or energy to deal with this in yet another game.

Matt Frost

I wish there was a more reasonably IAP which did not felt like a rip of like in every other F2P game. Even the cash cow for 5 bucks sounds lame, just doubling your tickets

I just play Rodeo Stampede a few times each day and works great. Do a couple of missions and go to another game. The structure is completely flawed and wished for a more Nitrome approach to the game (like Leap Day), not the lame cash cow. Never watched an ad. Approach it casually like every f2p game and you are good to go.

I just play Rodeo Stampede a few times each day and works great. Do a couple of missions and go to another game. The structure is completely flawed and wished for a more Nitrome approach to the game (like Leap Day), not the lame cash cow. Never watched an ad. Approach it casually like every f2p game and you are good to go.

I agree that it's really the only way to play this game, but it's unfortunate because the actual gameplay is so addictive. But even as fun as it is to play, I can't justify spending more than a few minutes at a time because you VERY, VERY quickly run out of things to do that would actually progress the game.

This IAP wall is almost immediate in this game and basically limits your gameplay to around 10 minutes per day (at most). I think they either have to HUGELY increase the money you get from opening the zoo or give you more than 2 missions to complete every 6 hours. Otherwise, this game will have a very short lifespan on my phone. Which is a bummer, because it's a great game outside of the IAP issue.

Oynox

I agree that it's really the only way to play this game, but it's unfortunate because the actual gameplay is so addictive. But even as fun as it is to play, I can't justify spending more than a few minutes at a time because you VERY, VERY quickly run out of things to do that would actually progress the game.

This IAP wall is almost immediate in this game and basically limits your gameplay to around 10 minutes per day (at most). I think they either have to HUGELY increase the money you get from opening the zoo or give you more than 2 missions to complete every 6 hours. Otherwise, this game will have a very short lifespan on my phone. Which is a bummer, because it's a great game outside of the IAP issue.

Jup, exactly my thoughts on that. Now I am at a point I only play when a new mission is available. That is quite sad honestly. But apparently it is doing quite well, it is in the top 3 in Germany.

The Stratus XL isn't the best controller money can buy. If you're playing on an iPad, look for the Gamevice or the Sratus Nimbus. If you're on an iPhone though, I'd recommend the C.T.R.L.i.

As for playing with another controller like the Playstation 3's Dualshock, you can but you'll need to be jailbroken and install the tweak called Controller4all. Works like a charm afterwards.

I meant the Nimbus, I mixed the names up. I guess I will make a big order at Amazon and test the Nimbus, Stratus, C.T.R.L.i and micro C.T.R.L.i. The main importance is the portability, to be honest. That is why I am also thinking about getting a 8bitdo, they look promising.

Zeeman

Don't Starve Pocket is on sale for $1 on Canadian iTunes. I've never played any version of the game. How is it? And is it OK if you're playing on an iPhone 6 rather than an iPad?

I meant the Nimbus, I mixed the names up. I guess I will make a big order at Amazon and test the Nimbus, Stratus, C.T.R.L.i and micro C.T.R.L.i. The main importance is the portability, to be honest. That is why I am also thinking about getting a 8bitdo, they look promising.

8bitdo will have very limited compatibility as it's not an MFi controller.

Oynox

Yeah. If you haven't I would look at after pad:

https://afterpad.com/mficontrollers/

They have all controllers listed and reviews on most.

Jup, looked at that as well, but unfortunately they do not have a review of the Stratus. But incredibly enough, Steelseries has a 60% sale going on and I just ordered it blindly for 25€ and cancelled the 52€ order at Amazon. The Nimbus looks nice, but it simply is way to big. I need something portable and the Stratus seems to fulfill that, especially with that handsome case.

FYI: you can save an additional 10% with the code WEMEETAGAIN. But it seems like the Stratus is out of stock in the uS.

Matt Frost

Yeah 10 minutes is the ideal time, that way I don't get to watch ads (sick of them), pay IAP (the demise of this once blooming marvelous gaming platform) for a f2p game (I wish everybody takes the Nitrome route: a premium unlock IAP that makes a f2p game premium). So... a bummer, but is selling well and the casuals will keep it that way.

Jamesways

Assoluto Racing now available for NA and other markets for free.
https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/assoluto-racing/id1055375459

The lead dev was a big fan of Gran Turismo and wanted to create a similar game for mobile platforms. It's out for Android as well.
It currently has 12 licensed cars. It's a racing sim, runs at 60fps, and has a focus on realistic physics. There are license tests, stock races, and time trials, and you can upgrade/tune your car.

Just tried a few races with the default Peugeot, it seems pretty damn solid.

Website for the game-
http://www.assolutoracing.com/

Pachimari

Assoluto Racing now available for NA and other markets for free.
https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/assoluto-racing/id1055375459

The lead dev was a big fan of Gran Turismo and wanted to create a similar game for mobile platforms. It's out for Android as well.
It currently has 12 licensed cars. It's a racing sim, runs at 60fps, and has a focus on realistic physics. There are license tests, stock races, and time trials, and you can upgrade/tune your car.

Just tried a few races with the default Peugeot, it seems pretty damn solid.

Website for the game-
http://www.assolutoracing.com/
It looks good and definitely looks and sounds like Gran Turismo in the menus but damn does it control badly. It's like the car is sliding on ice or have no connection to the road. No weight. Feels all kinds of unnatural.

Jamesways

It looks good and definitely looks and sounds like Gran Turismo in the menus but damn does it control badly. It's like the car is sliding on ice or have no connection to the road. No weight. Feels all kinds of unnatural.

I didn't think it was that bad. What scheme are you using, the tilt?
I assume upgrades will have a big effect on handling. Playing a bit more I find it's easy to lock up the brakes. I don't care for the bonnet cam apex look and tilt effects. Love them in Project CARS, but hard to handle in this one.

I'll probably put some time in this, but the king of mobile racing for me will always be Real Racing 3. Love the car and track list.

Pachimari

I didn't think it was that bad. What scheme are you using, the tilt?
I assume upgrades will have a big effect on handling. Playing a bit more I find it's easy to lock up the brakes. I don't care for the bonnet cam apex look and tilt effects. Love them in Project CARS, but hard to handle in this one.

I'll probably put some time in this, but the king of mobile racing for me will always be Real Racing 3. Love the car and track list.

I first used the tilt, and then switched to arrows. It feels the same. Very disconnected from the road.

Jamesways

I first used the tilt, and then switched to arrows. It feels the same. Very disconnected from the road.

I understand what you mean, I think it may depend on the view too. I'm using the bumper cam, and I don't think it feels that bad. It feels pretty responsive with the tilt in that view to me.

I have to put more time into it. I wonder if the other cars feel differently.

8sanders

Murderer's Gut Feeling™
Damn, Capcom's F2P game, Monster Hunter Explore, is being cancelled during soft launch and won't be released.

I enjoy the MH series of games. As 'simple' as I think they intended Explore to be, I found navigating the game to be unnecessarily confusing.
Welp....
I suppose if they released quality projects as they did 20 years ago they wouldn't have such issues . Such a shame....Capcom used to be a top tier publisher. I would pay 20-30$ for a quality release from them. I refuse to play the "pay to play" game, I am considering abandoning mobile gaming all together......

Welp....
I suppose if they released quality projects as they did 20 years ago they wouldn't have such issues . Such a shame....Capcom used to be a top tier publisher. I would pay 20-30$ for a quality release from them. I refuse to play the "pay to play" game, I am considering abandoning mobile gaming all together......
There are so many quality premium or paid games released every month that if I wanted, I would never have to play a F2P game. Last week alone, we got Hyperburner, Teeny Titans, HyperRogue, Satellite Command, and Perchang. The week before that was Voi and1979 Revolution, and before that, Heroes of Loot 2, Never Alone, Flipominos, and Lost Frontier

I do agree that it's disappointing when a major publisher/developer guts a fan favourite IP into an exploitative "game". May EA fade into obscurity and bankruptcy.
To be fair, aside from SE Montreal and Cartoon Network, most major publisher/developer mobile games range from meh-to-sucks. Basic cash-ins to tie in with a movie or comic or whatnot.

Ketch

What is the best JRPG available on iOS? I want to play a good one, but since they're all like $15 I don't wanna just buy em to see if they're good you know.

Pachimari

What is the best JRPG available on iOS? I want to play a good one, but since they're all like $15 I don't wanna just buy em to see if they're good you know.

Final Fantasy IX is really great.

I heard Chaos Rings III is also a very good original JRPG with high production values.

Pachimari

Which reminds me I bought both Hyperburner and Perchang last night. I have only tried out Hyperburner but it controls very well. I still think that the game registers a crash when you are close to a cliff but where it shouldn't have registered; that would also allow for tighter gameplay. But it's really fun and entertaining, and I'm gonna play more of it later tonight.

Matt Frost

Welp....

Yeah IAP crumbled and crippled the AppStore. I share your feeling, but I didnt abandon it... sometimes a great premium game comes out. But if you want to leave, go ahead. Probably you have other platforms to play games. Just keep looking at this thread and waiting for a game you like

Top Bottom