• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's FY 2016 has officially begun - The Year of NX

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheJoRu

Here's what I expect: the NX reveal date will just pop up one day in a press release. There will be no lead-up to it or any sort of indication that "oh, we might hear something about a reveal date around this time" and there will have been no way of predicting or expecting the actual date based on what Nintendo has done in the past.

thefro

Here's what I expect: the NX reveal date will just pop up one day in a press release. There will be no lead-up to it or any sort of indication that "oh, we might hear something about a reveal date around this time" and there will have been no way of predicting or expecting the actual date based on what Nintendo has done in the past.

You can narrow down the potential reveal date quite a bit:

- Nintendo historically never makes huge announcements on Monday or Friday. The NX announcement will be on a Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday.

- Nintendo probably isn't going to announce the NX in July. Journalists are going to need to make travel arrangements a month in advance so we would have heard about the event by now. You might as well have announced it at E3 if you were going to be ready in July. There's also the political conventions in the US at this time.

- Nintendo isn't going to announce the NX during the Olympics in August. This is a huge distraction and sucks up a lot of media attention.

- Nintendo's going to want to reveal the system before the Holidays (which are another distraction). So anything after mid-November is out.

- Nintendo's going to have to ship near-final hardware dev kits out at some point and it's likely you'd want third parties to have those kits at least for a full six months before launch. This would also allow Western companies to have the dev kits for a year before most of the big multi-platform heavy hitters come in Fall 2017.

- It would be beneficial to announce the NX before TGS so that Nintendo's Japanese partners can announce games for it then.

That gives me:

August 23-25 (I doubt it's this week because the Olympics end on August 21st)
August 30-Sept 1
September 6 & 7 (Sept 5th is after Labor Day holiday in the US, so that's not a likely reveal date)
September 13 & 14 (TGS starts September 15th).

MuchoMalo

Banned
You can narrow down the potential reveal date quite a bit:

- Nintendo historically never makes huge announcements on Monday or Friday. The NX announcement will be on a Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday.

- Nintendo probably isn't going to announce the NX in July. Journalists are going to need to make travel arrangements a month in advance so we would have heard about the event by now. You might as well have announced it at E3 if you were going to be ready in July. There's also the political conventions in the US at this time.

- Nintendo isn't going to announce the NX during the Olympics in August. This is a huge distraction and sucks up a lot of media attention.

- Nintendo's going to want to reveal the system before the Holidays (which are another distraction). So anything after mid-November is out.

- Nintendo's going to have to ship near-final hardware dev kits out at some point and it's likely you'd want third parties to have those kits at least for a full six months before launch. This would also allow Western companies to have the dev kits for a year before most of the big multi-platform heavy hitters come in Fall 2017.

- It would be beneficial to announce the NX before TGS so that Nintendo's Japanese partners can announce games for it then.

The thing is that they're going to want to reveal it before final kits are out so it doesn't get leaked.

I don't think that the date of a formal product reveal would be revealed at the formal product reveal. That would open up a black hole or something.

"Today, we'd like to show you a small teaser for the reveal of the Nintendo NX reveal event. We hope you find it revealing."

On a serious note, I'll be surprised if they even tell investors the month that the NX would be revealed.

I think we'll get an announcement of the September NX Direct in August. That way they'll have it out in the open before TGS rolls around and they can show off some games and partnerships.

MuchoMalo

Banned
"Today, we'd like to show you a small teaser for the reveal of the Nintendo NX reveal event. We hope you find it revealing."

On a serious note, I'll be surprised if they even tell investors the month that the NX would be revealed.

I think we'll get an announcement of the September NX Direct in August. That way they'll have it out in the open before TGS rolls around and they can show off some games and partnerships.

I highly doubt that it'll be revealed in a Direct rather than a press event.

September is the latest they can possible reveal this thing if it's releasing this FY. Nintendo would be insane to delay it again when they could have done that already.

As much as it pains me to say it, I don't think we'll get a NX reveal until December.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it was said we would get a price at the reveal. Of course patterns can be broken, but for Wii, WiiU, and 3DS we only got a price two months before the system's release date.

For NX that would be January, however they said by end of year so I'm going to assume December.

i hope I'm wrong. I want a reveal/price atleast one week before The Last Guardian because I want to budget my money accordingly and I need to get NX firstmost even if I miss games I want since I'll get the most expensive thing out've the way, but I just don't see the reveal being early in the year.

Zalman

As much as it pains me to say it, I don't think we'll get a NX reveal until December.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it was said we would get a price at the reveal. Of course patterns can be broken, but for Wii, WiiU, and 3DS we only got a price two months before the system's release date.

For NX that would be January, however they said by end of year so I'm going to assume December.

i hope I'm wrong. I want a reveal/price atleast one week before The Last Guardian because I want to budget my money accordingly and I need to get NX firstmost even if I miss games I want since I'll get the most expensive thing out've the way, but I just don't see the reveal being early in the year.
There's no way they can keep it a secret for that long.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
I'm thinking September at the latest for the NX reveal.
They'll need some months to get their marketing cogs going, and I'm thinking they'll want at least 5.

FZZ

Banned
September is the latest they can possible reveal this thing if it's releasing this FY. Nintendo would be insane to delay it again when they could have done that already.

October is my guess. I think they will start the quarter with the reveal, not end one where the following quarter doesn't have the actual release.

I'd love an August reveal, but I'm leaning towards late September/early October.

The issue with October is that A LOT of games are releasing at that time, so there will be an onslaught of news and attention for those games. November/December would be suicide for a reveal since there's way too much going on for Nintendo to make a big enough presence. Unless they do a reveal at the Game Awards or something lol.

There needs to be some type of press event so that people can give hands on impressions. Nintendo emphasize actual playing over just video trailers for their new experiences.

Wii Remote was first revealed and demonstrated at TGS, wasn't it?

There needs to be some type of press event so that people can give hands on impressions. Nintendo emphasize actual playing over just video trailers for their new experiences.

It was TGS adjacent, can't recall whether or not it was a keynote or simply Iwata speaking near TGS. The wiimote itself wasn't on the public floor, however, it was available to press to try out and play with using some surprisingly jury-rigged demos of Metroid Prime 2 and a primitive Wii Sports.

I imagine the NX reveal will be similar. Press will have played it the day before the reveal and will have stories ready right after whatever Direct reveals it to the public.

It has to be before/during TGS. Anytime after would be a bit late. Though like someone else said earlier, there are so many media events globally in most months from August on.

The best time to reveal is either alongside the new Sonic reveal, which I've heard is in July, or during TGS. Japanese press needs to be able to play with it and get that NDA lifted. The time frame from September to March is not very long at all.

EDIT: Personally, a reveal 6 months before release is perfect. The February reveal for the PS4 made the wait feel a bit long, but announcing the Xbox One in May made me feel like I didn't have to wait too long to get my hands on one while having enough time to budget. A March release would be perfect for Americans though since a lot of people like to get their taxes done early such as myself.

MuchoMalo

Banned
Why not? I'd love to hear your thoughts. Let's talk about it.

Because I think that they're smart enough to know that they need the press getting hands-on with the hardware at the reveal. If it were just a direct there would have been no need to hold off on revealing it at E3 sine they'd only need to show a bunch of trailers. I could maybe see a direct acting as some kind of mini-reveal before TGS so Japanese devs can announce games there, but there will be a full reveal press event. Mark my words.

Because I think that they're smart enough to know that they need the press getting hands-on with the hardware at the reveal. If it were just a direct there would have been no need to hold off on revealing it at E3 sine they'd only need to show a bunch of trailers. I could maybe see a direct acting as some kind of mini-reveal before TGS so Japanese devs can announce games there, but there will be a full reveal press event. Mark my words.

I completely agree with you that they need press to get their hands on this, that's the best kind of marketing there is. I didn't mean to say that a Nintendo Direct would be the ONLY thing they do, I just don't see them having a big stage event to reveal the console initially. Show it off in a Direct, follow that up with press impressions from a private event that already happened, and let third parties hype it up at TGS.

jmizzal

Rösti;208496532 said:
Here you go:

t1467162000z4.png

Reception opens an hour early though, so I'll likely have the dedicated thread up then.

Now that E3 is over and Nintendo got to show off Zelda and got a lot of positive on it, and all announcements for the year are out for the most part, I feel we will get some real NX info tonight. Not some huge reveal but I think they will talk about it and hopefully give us a real time frame outside of just later this year on when we will see it.

The time is now Nintendo

AdanVC

I expect the announcement in October or November, not earlier. I hope to be wrong and happen sooner than my expectations.

No way they will wait that much... but this is Nintendo. They always try new ways to do the exact opposite of what everyone usually does so yeah maybe even on December it's when they are gonna do the official unveil.

31 of december.

Only to announce it'll be delayed till holiday 2017.

So of course Zelda BotW will launch till then as well.

Gamers rejoice.

thefro

Well, here's a little hint at Unreal Engine 4 support for NX in a NTD job listing (H/T to Nintendo Enthusiast for finding it)

https://nintendo.taleo.net/careersection/10000/jobdetail.ftl

Nintendo Job Listing said:
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES

We are seeking an engineer to join a team responsible for design, development, debug and delivery of system drivers and tools for Nintendo gaming systems. The successful candidate will be a high-energy problem-solver with a passion for excellence and a proven track record. We are looking for people who are excellent team players, and who also work well on individual assignments. In addition, the successful candidate will be a high-energy problem-solver with a passion for excellence. An interest in system software is essential. In this position, the engineer will receive a very rewarding experience working with key technologies for gaming systems.

SUMMARY OF REQUIREMENTS

BS or MS in related field (MS preferred)
Excellent programming skills and knowledge of C
Excellent software design, problem solving and debugging skills
OpenGL or DirectX programming recommended
Familiarity with existing game engines (such as UE4) is a plus

L1oUbTA.jpg

javadoze

Not expecting much at this if anything at all.

That said, September/October seems about ideal for a reveal since it's in the fall and before the holiday season. Plus, it'd be about 5/6 months away from March 2017, a good amount of time to drum up interest in the system.

wrowa

I expect the announcement in October or November, not earlier. I hope to be wrong and happen sooner than my expectations.

It'll be either September or October (my guess is early October). Nintendo will want to prevent that their announcement gets drowned during the busy holiday season.

Nintendo will want to show the console to the press immediately after the announcement, so why not have a conference followed by hands-on sessions? Two birds, one stone, really.

My only thought there would be to think about who their targeted audience is the for NX. If they're going for the family crowd again like some rumors suggest, those aren't the people who would watch a conference.

Having a Direct allows them to get the information directly to crazy people like us with marketing assets they can then post online for everyone else. Private hands-on sessions for the gaming press either before or after the announcement could be much cheaper to pull off as well.

I do love me a good conference though, I'm up for anything really.

Rodin

Well, here's a little hint at Unreal Engine 4 support for NX in a NTD job listing (H/T to Nintendo Enthusiast for finding it)

L1oUbTA.jpg
Good find. Should be an obvious thing but many people predicted that this wouldn't have been the case, so it's good to have another hint.

Surely GAF Will go silly mode starting from Sept 1st.
That ship sailed long ago, but it's about to face a storm from that date on.
And we're ready.
image.php

That's my secret, Akiller. I'm always silly.
Beware statements I make about the NX
(Today, 08:44 PM)
image.php

Eradicate

I recall folks on January 1 asking where the hell was our NX info. I love this forum so much

LOL!!! Insatiable!

My only thought there would be to think about who their targeted audience is the for NX. If they're going for the family crowd again like some rumors suggest, those aren't the people who would watch a conference.

Having a Direct allows them to get the information directly to crazy people like us with marketing assets they can then post online for everyone else. Private hands-on sessions for the gaming press either before or after the announcement could be much cheaper to pull off as well.

I do love me a good conference though, I'm up for anything really.

I want them to have it playable during the Play Nintendo Tour! I want it all!

(If there is truly no play like it, I really want them to kiosk the heck out of this thing for a few months before it sells! Again, I ask for much!)

L1oUbTA.jpg

Oooh, cool find!

I want them to have it playable during the Play Nintendo Tour! I want it all!

(If there is truly no play like it, I really want them to kiosk the heck out of this thing for a few months before it sells! Again, I ask for much!)

That would be pretty incredible! I could definitely see them working that in closer to launch. I worked at a large mall last holiday season, and Nintendo had a giant Mario Maker display set up right near one of the food courts. It was pretty amazing to see people of all ages running around with Mario Maker hats and Amiibo collection posters after playing the game. Do that for NX Nintendo!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom