• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Neo GPU are point-for-point a match for RX 480

gatti-man

I'm not sure, but I suspect 1080p on a 4k display would look nearly as clean as 1440p-on-4k, if not better, just because of the even scaling. Plus, I think that same power would be better spent on frame rates and splosions. Plus, I don't even have a 4k TV. ;p

Idk. But I know a raw 1440p image categorically looks better than a raw 1080p image on my native 1440p monitor I use on my gaming PC.

There is a limit to frame rate and explosions. At 1440p there would still be enough grunt to run everything at ultra spec.

Sounds like "I have the best thing so I want things for it."

Not everyone will have such a massive 4K TV and most gamers probably don't know what resolution there games are running at. Just as long as it looks pretty.

You have the assumption that every gamer who will buy Neo or the Scorpio know all the technical details about the games that will be running on it.

In the end, it'll be up to the developers and if they think it will be worth it.

It's not much of a stretch to think that customers buying a 4K console will have a 4K tv when there is a cheaper console without 4K features. Also Sony themselves said they want to keep people from going to gaming PCs mid gen. These multiplatform people would probably have a 4K monitor as well.

For the developers a resolution bump would be orders of magnitude more simple than cranking up the graphics to 11 then scaling them back for the base console.

ZoyosJD

It will also make sense if you was trying to create 4 shifted frames that you can use in 1 final frame.

Reprojection updates the viewing angle, so none of the 4 frames would align leaving you with a mess of pixels or it would take longer to render than just increasing the native resolution by the same multiple.

Even if you somehow solved positional reprojection issues and locked alignments, a dropped frame would result in your final image missing a quarter of it's data.

Your "idea" is an absolute cluster of technical problems.

Go read some more on VR:

http://alex.vlachos.com/graphics/Alex_Vlachos_Advanced_VR_Rendering_Performance_GDC2016.pdf

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
It will also make sense if you was trying to create 4 shifted frames that you can use in 1 final frame.
Ah, if only. It would be like free infinite resolution for all! But, reprojection cannot be used to perform the uprendering technique described in that patent. That technique is far, far more performance intensive than what reprojection does.

Reprojection pans the spherically projected viewpoint to match the position reported by the positional sensors. Maybe does some postprocess trickery with object motion vectors too, but that's it. It's a quick and dirty technique that absolutely cannot be used to increase the resolution in a way that uprendering does. It takes a single rendered image and works from there.

Upredering on the other hand renders the whole scene four times to accomplish what it does. It's a very intensive technique, a polar opposite of reprojection basically.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Lady Gaia said:
It's both less efficient and less accurate than simply rendering at the target resolution to begin with
It's not less accurate though - the patent claim is basically Accumulation-AA with custom resolve instead of accumulation (IMO they'd have a hell of a time trying to uphold this patent in court), ie. identical to high-resolution(or SSAA if you stick with AA analogy) if you arrange your samples the same.
Efficiency is a tradeoff for the improved accuracy on emulated software, where high-res will always be less accurate over a large selection of titles. Also worth noting that we started getting GPUs this year that have hw-acceleration for this too - which won't save GPU costs (still run through render-pipeline multiple times), but it does eliminate the CPU overhead from the process.

IEfficiency is a tradeoff for the improved accuracy on emulated software, where high-res will always be less accurate over a large selection of titles. Also worth noting that we started getting GPUs this year that have hw-acceleration for this too - which won't save GPU costs (still run through render-pipeline multiple times), but it does eliminate the CPU overhead from the process.

You mean Pascal's multiple viewpoint/projection HW stuff?

Lady Gaia

It's not less accurate though

If you're just rasterizing a set of polygons I agree the results would be identical, though produced less efficiently.

Where it's definitely less accurate is if the rendering pass includes any framebuffer post-processing. Consider anything that uses information from neighboring pixels, like an anti-aliasing pass. The results of four such passes over every other pixel along each axis will produce significantly worse results than one such pass over the entire assembled image.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
People not realizing onQ is another Jeff rigby. It's best to ignore them.

It's actually terrible to ignore them. They have good knowledge. You're better off paying attention to them.

Don't get mad just because you don't understand them.

tuxfool

Banned
It's actually terrible to ignore them. They have good knowledge. You're better off paying attention to them.

Don't get mad just because you don't understand them.

No. They don't. It isn't a question of understanding, it is a question of pertinent information and not just dumping technical seeming garbage that is designed to impress only those that have no understanding of these matters.

A more nuanced opinion is that they are only sometimes right, most of the time what they post is utter nonsense. I don't think that they should be banned, but make no mistake, they are not a trustworthy authority.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Couldn't the CPU be up clocked as well. Also the rumor suggested that a stronger cpu was being considered.

The CPU is already upclocked significantly from the OG PS4, probably to the breaking point.

I'm saying it now: don't go into the NEO looking for the absolute best tech on the market, or something as good as the Scorpio tech wise. You should only be looking for a upgrade from PS4.

If your dead set on looking for power, i'd advise you to wait until the console after NEO, or going for Scorpio.

onQ123

No. They don't. It isn't a question of understanding, it is a question of pertinent information and not just dumping technical seeming garbage that is designed to impress only those that have no understanding of these matters.

A more nuanced opinion is that they are only sometimes right, most of the time what they post is utter nonsense. I don't think that they should be banned, but make no mistake, they are not a trustworthy authority.

Look what thread we are in after I said that Neo GPU is polaris 10 & that it would have 36CU.

I'm not a insider & I never claimed to be but I see what most people don't until it's pointed out to them.

When its shown that Neo will be using smart design to uprender to 4K I expect the same people who was acting like I'm crazy to then pretend like they know so much about how it's being done .

geordiemp

The CPU is already upclocked significantly from the OG PS4, probably to the breaking point.

I'm saying it now: don't go into the NEO looking for the absolute best tech on the market, or something as good as the Scorpio tech wise. You should only be looking for a upgrade from PS4.

If your dead set on looking for power, i'd advise you to wait until the console after NEO, or going for Scorpio.

If they dont do something with the CPU, then I doubt its worth the upgrade tbh, but thats up to Sony to show me it can run games significantly better that Ps struggles with.

Scorpio is off the table as I prefer playstation exclusives more.

DonMigs85

Jaguar/Mullins is a pretty TDP-limited architecture with only a 15 or 16 stage pipeline, even on the desktop/laptop APU side the highest clocked chip seems to be 2.4GHz - and that's just the turbo frequency.

The description I typed above the image of the dev kit I posted I typed the word final in inverted commas i.e. "Final" to emphasis the ever changing nature of these kits.
Ohhh! I thought it was a response to whether or not Neo had been submitted to the FCC! lol

For me the main aspects of the specs are the APU/SoC and RAM and I have to disagree with you when you say the specs of PS4 dev kits less than a year before release were nowhere near final. I say the pictures I've posted show a dev kit with the SoC looking identical to the retail one along with even the motherboard as a whole, that dates back as far as January 2013 (11 months before release) or before. Now some devs that weren't working on a launch/launch window game may still have had a older kit even near PS4 launch and that could confuse things as far as specs were concerned.
Well, no. While the pics you posted seem to show final hardware, that's not what they sent out in January. Also, this seems to say that SlimBone took about a month for FCC approval. If Sony submitted the final hardware for PS4 at the beginning of July 2013, then it'd be the beginning of August 2013 before devs finally got their hands on them, which is only ~3 months before launch. So up until that point, devs were building and testing their code using four, dual-core Bulldozers rather than two, quad-core Jags. So Sony completely changed the hardware on devs about two months before launch games would be due for submissions. Sounds pretty catastrophic, eh?

Well, no, because the "main specs" — namely, the architectures they were using — were locked down, and didn't change. Moving from Jag to Zen "at the last minute" will be no more drastic a change than moving from Bulldozer to Jag at the last minute, and for the same reasons — it's basically the same architecture and more importantly, Sony write the kernel, which mediates all access to hardware.

It's impossible for developers to communicate directly with the hardware. They instead make system calls and the kernel then relays those generic commands to the specific hardware it's managing, and reports the results back to the applications in user space. Sony's last minute change from Bulldozer to Jaguar wasn't disruptive because they sent out a new kernel to go with the new hardware. If and when Sony move to Zen, they will make the appropriate tweaks to the system software, just as they've already done for GCN2->GCN4. Said tweaks are probably already written, and are waiting for final hardware from AMD so they can be re-tested, debugged, and rolled in to the main trunk. Sony will already have all of the Zen documentation from AMD, so all they need is the errata.

Could be Q1 but I doubt it changes anything as far as specs are concerned. If the CPU upgrade is Zen rather than Jaguar then that is a big change and I can't see how it is compatible that less than a year before launch devs have Jaguar dev kits that some (according to the leaked docs) will be submitting game code for in August.
Why do you assume that going with Zen would be the change? It's not really how it was presented to Osiris, but perhaps using Zen was always meant to be the primary option. I've said all along that the most reasonable plan would be "Launch whenever Zen is ready, and if push comes to shove, we can just slap another Jag in there." I've yet to see any compelling arguments for deviating from such a plan. Nobody was really expecting a mid-gen refresh, so why would the timetable be anything other than "when the new tech is ready"?

Again, kinda backwards from how it was presented to Osiris, but obviously you set expectations low and then over-deliver. But by extension, you'll never over-deliver if you don't initially aim for that higher bar.

Like I said before if Sony have played a blinder here and fooled DF, GB and game retail (Osiris) then well done them. I doubt all three of the aforementioned have been fooled, though.
I'm really not sure what you mean here, because Osiris was told back in March that there were two options on the table and that the more powerful option was "mentioned quite a bit almost as if they haven't really decided on a final spec," and was told very recently — post E3 — that Sony feel launching in Q1 is the best way to hit $499, even with the more powerful hardware. We also have VRWorld reporting Neo will sport eight "Zen lite" cores, whatever that may be.

So frankly, it seems a bit disingenuous to try to suggest that a more powerful Neo wasn't always an option, or that it doesn't remain an option to this day; Osiris was just told they were still considering the more powerful option, and that launching in Q1 was the best way to make that happen, along with the $499 price point.

Idk. But I know a raw 1440p image categorically looks better than a raw 1080p image on my native 1440p monitor I use on my gaming PC.
I'll admit it's been more than a decade since I've tried to run a monitor at non-native res, but don't they typically have a dried piece of poo in place of an actual scaler? I'm not sure that's really giving you the best sense of 1080p's IQ. Even if your scaler did somehow produce results just as good as a 1:1 mapping, your apparent display size is likely much larger than the typical TV setup, which would also magnify the effect of any resolution difference.

There is a limit to frame rate and explosions. At 1440p there would still be enough grunt to run everything at ultra spec.
Sure, until we modernize our definition of Ultra.

It's not much of a stretch to think that customers buying a 4K console will have a 4K tv when there is a cheaper console without 4K features. Also Sony themselves said they want to keep people from going to gaming PCs mid gen. These multiplatform people would probably have a 4K monitor as well.
Perhaps, but in the end, we'll need to see what balance devs strike. It just seems like boosting res is the least effective thing you can do with the additional power, and I suspect that will be doubly true if you can't boost the res all the way to 4k-native.

For the developers a resolution bump would be orders of magnitude more simple than cranking up the graphics to 11 then scaling them back for the base console.
I suspect most users will see a simple upscale as a lazy use of Neo's power, causing them to think poorly of said dev. I think they'd rather see settings go from Medium to Ultra, and/or frame rate increases. I suppose boosting frame rates is similarly lazy, but it probably has more effect on gameplay.

Perhaps Neo games will let users choose between Medium-4k25 and Ultra-1080p60. :)

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Still going with my original guess that we'll see some sort of proprietary reconstruction technique in the Neo API in order to hit 4K output which is why 1080p is mandated.

Something that would avoid traditional scaling artifacts and improve IQ a bit over 1080p would be very welcom.

THE:MILKMAN

serversurfer said:
I'm really not sure what you mean here, because Osiris was told back in March that there were two options on the table and that the more powerful option was "mentioned quite a bit almost as if they haven't really decided on a final spec," and was told very recently — post E3 — that Sony feel launching in Q1 is the best way to hit $499, even with the more powerful hardware. We also have VRWorld reporting Neo will sport eight "Zen lite" cores, whatever that may be.

So frankly, it seems a bit disingenuous to try to suggest that a more powerful Neo wasn't always an option, or that it doesn't remain an option to this day; Osiris was just told they were still considering the more powerful option, and that launching in Q1 was the best way to make that happen, along with the $499 price point.

I hope my points haven't been coming across as disingenuous. Like I've said multiple times now the issue is not that two options couldn't have ever been on the table, just that I believe that ship sailed (the decision of which option to go for) long before the end of March never mind the June date given the long lead times we are talking about here to tape chips out etc, IMO.

Now VRWorld do indeed state the Neo has Zen Lite cores as stated in this article: http://vrworld.com/2016/05/11/amd-confirms-sony-playstation-neo-based-zen-polaris/

In the comments the author of the article says the following:

Theo Valich said:
Zen is October. So is Vega. My sources told me they're not Jaguar cores - Jaguar is a 28nm planar transistor design. The new chip - and it's just one - SoC or APU, depending on how you like to call it - is a 14nm FinFET. To redesign the core from planar to FinFET is a 'pointless exercise', you have to build the same chip all over again. Zen Light might be "Puma 2", or something similar. I wrote what I know, which admittedly so is not too much - it's still early days to leak something out of Japan.

So if this is true then all along the APU was always going to be Polaris/Zen Lite on 14nmFF. As Theo understands things it just isn't feasible to redesign Jaguar for FinFet. It may simply be that the dev kit talked about by GB and DF is deliberately mislabeled by Sony as Jaguar/ 36 "improved" GCN because of previous PS4 development documents leaking?

I do wonder now though why DF and/or GB haven't done an update on the dev kit or specs given the ease with which they acquired the docs about the first kit. Surely one of their sources have one of the new kits detailed in the docs and could put to bed whether Jaguar or Zen Lite? Or maybe they have been duped? (I think unlikely)

Oh well....I'm sure all the details will be known soon enough either way.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I wonder why DF hasn't talked about how Neo plans on handling 4K ouput yet. They said they had the documents for it, it was interesting, and they would update but nothing yet.

I wonder why DF hasn't talked about how Neo plans on handling 4K ouput yet. They said they had the documents for it, it was interesting, and they would update but nothing yet.

Me thinks, if anything, Sony have asked them kindly not to talk anymore about Neo for a while...

geordiemp

Me thinks, if anything, Sony have asked them kindly not to talk anymore about Neo for a while...

The longer we get no leaks and information, the more I hope for the upgrade option...

I also hoping that we get a TSMC APU and it gets less hot than the RX 480.

Osirisblack did say in one post that he would update us on the upgrade specs at some point, but he has gone quiet...

The longer we get no leaks and information, the more I hope for the upgrade option...

I also hoping that we get a TSMC APU and it gets less hot than the RX 480.

Osirisblack did say in one post that he would update us on the upgrade specs at some point, but he has gone quiet...

Honestly I wouldn't expect miracles even if Zen Lite is the CPU upgrade. Balance wise it would be to the Neo GPU what Jaguar is to OG PS4's GPU. A nice new architecture and all that but still likely a laptop level variant.

I hope my points haven't been coming across as disingenuous.
Sorry, that sounded a lot more accusatory than I intended. <3 Also, it's not just you. Lots of people seem to think Zen would be some sort of last minute change, but I'm not really sure why. I guess because it was initially presented as Option B, but if I were Sony, reusing the old tech would be my "alternate" option. /shrug

Like I've said multiple times now the issue is not that two options couldn't have ever been on the table, just that I believe that ship sailed (the decision of which option to go for) long before the end of March never mind the June date given the long lead times we are talking about here to tape chips out etc, IMO.
Well, I'm not sure that we'd necessarily hear about all of these milestones. Did we hear about the tapeout for this 36CU Jag APU they've been sending out? And I don't know why Bob would tell Osiris in March and again in June that they still hadn't chosen a spec if they were already locked in to one last year or whatever.

Now VRWorld do indeed state the Neo has Zen Lite cores as stated in this article: http://vrworld.com/2016/05/11/amd-confirms-sony-playstation-neo-based-zen-polaris/

In the comments the author of the article says the following:

So if this is true then all along the APU was always going to be Polaris/Zen Lite on 14nmFF. As Theo understands things it just isn't feasible to redesign Jaguar for FinFet. It may simply be that the dev kit talked about by GB and DF is deliberately mislabeled by Sony as Jaguar/ 36 "improved" GCN because of previous PS4 development documents leaking?

I do wonder now though why DF and/or GB haven't done an update on the dev kit or specs given the ease with which they acquired the docs about the first kit. Surely one of their sources have one of the new kits detailed in the docs and could put to bed whether Jaguar or Zen Lite? Or maybe they have been duped? (I think unlikely)

Oh well....I'm sure all the details will be known soon enough either way.
This is sorta my point, yeah. lol We can't say for sure what's actually going on, but it does seem likely Sony are being extra careful with the information they leak, and it also sounds like desktop Zen is shipping later this year, so having an APU ready by next March doesn't seem crazy, assuming Cerny got a copy of AMD's roadmap, same as we did.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Honestly I wouldn't expect miracles even if Zen Lite is the CPU upgrade. Balance wise it would be to the Neo GPU what Jaguar is to OG PS4's GPU. A nice new architecture and all that but still likely a laptop level variant.
Zen can handle 1.7x the instructions per clock as jaguar so even if 2.1Ghz winds up being the frenquency, that makes 60fps upgrades far more possible.

They don't need to go crazy with it to provide significantly more performance than the PS4 CPU has. I just hope that in the case of the specs being different than the leak that the focus is on upping the CPU and bandwidth before GPU clock.

onQ123

I bet it will be compute.

People don't understand that GCN GPUs are like a more advance Cell processor & now that the ACEs can be firmware updated to HWS & the newer GPUs have 2 HWS that can be used to create virtual co-processors/accelerators for different tasks.

TrueAudio has already been moved to compute with a task specific pipeline & with Neo having 18 extra compute units there will be even more tasks moved to their own pipelines.

They might use the HWS & compute to create a powerful rendering output engine.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I bet it will be compute.

People don't understand that GCN GPUs are like a more advance Cell processor & now that the ACEs can be firmware updated to HWS & the newer GPUs have 2 HWS that can be used to create virtual co-processors/accelerators for different tasks.

TrueAudio has already been moved to compute with a task specific pipeline & with Neo having 18 extra compute units there will be even more tasks moved to their own pipelines.

They might use the HWS & compute to create a powerful rendering output engine.
I'm thinking more along the lines of built in hardware for dealing with spatial and temporal data for reconstruction. I'm not sure how much of a benefit putting GPU compute toward standard resolution increases would have.

DonMigs85

If it does indeed come with Zen, it would certainly make it a more enticing upgrade... But it'll also be a much more significant leap over the current PS4 and I would feel alienated if I couldn't afford it.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-rainbow-six-siege-face-off

Rainbow six uses a checkboard rendering that seems to be a blend of Killzone and Quantum breaks' rendering method.

Neo and Scorpio can use this to achieve 4K.
I actually posted about this in the game technology thread when I first got the game. It's a very convincing 1080p image and I mentioned it was hopefully going to be seen in next gen consoles for 4K output. That was before Neo and Scorpio were in the picture. Still pretty convinced we'll see something like this and it's why Sony has mandated 1080p on Neo in order to ensure enough pixels for the reconstruction.

I think it would be a great solution that does away with upscaling artifacts and would provide a noticeably better image than 1080p while still allowing enough resources to push framerate and effects. Tiago Sousa (engine tech at Id, formally Crytek) was talking about this for 4k recently as well.

onQ123

I'm thinking more along the lines of built in hardware for dealing with spatial and temporal data for reconstruction. I'm not sure how much of a benefit putting GPU compute toward standard resolution increases would have.

It won't be the same as just doing normal GPGPU work it will be ACE pipelines specially designed for running the task.

like what has been done for Re-projection & TrueAudio

amd-liquidvr-new-features-trueaudio-next.jpg

https://forum.beyond3d.com/posts/1922215/

Interesting talk on the challenges of a backwards compatibility, looks like GCN versions is more of a challenge than Jaguar to Zen....

Wonder why the poster mentions zen....
Nice find. It's good to have confirmation that transitioning to Zen would be a non-issue. Kinda funny that the change everybody took in stride &#8212; the GPU &#8212; is actually the "problematic" transition, though Sebbi indicates that should be trivial to handle. Out of curiosity, did older PC games need to patched to run on Tonga/Fiji cards, or what?

FWIW, Sebbi didn't mention the CPU unprompted though; the poster they were responding to mentioned possible compatibility issues with a CPU change, and Sebbi's response was basically that the specific CPU didn't matter, "as long as it has at least 8 cores" and was x86/64. So I don't get the impression that Sebbi necessarily has any specific information about what CPU Sony will actually use. Sebbi mentioned caches &#8212; as did the other poster &#8212; but spoke noncommittally and referenced public info. /shrug

If it does indeed come with Zen, it would certainly make it a more enticing upgrade... But it'll also be a much more significant leap over the current PS4 and I would feel alienated if I couldn't afford it.
Neo won't do anything your PS4 can't do &#8212; it just does the same stuff faster/better &#8212; so you can safely ignore it. Neo won't make your PS4 any worse. If you find yourself unable to ignore Neo, you can probably flip your PS4 and keep your annual TCO comparatively low. I was thinking that if I could get $200 for my launch-day PS4 and buy Neo for $499, it's only costing me ~$100/year to always have "the best PlayStation." But then I was thinking I may hang on to the PS4 in case I end up getting a second PSVR for the wife. lol

You mean the ACEs in the original PS4 can be updated to provide HWS functionality? Do you have a link for that?

onQ123

You mean the ACEs in the original PS4 can be updated to provide HWS functionality? Do you have a link for that?

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-rx-480-polaris-10,4616.html

A single Graphics Command Processor up front is still responsible for dispatching graphics queues to the Shader Engines. So too are the Asynchronous Compute Engines tasked with handling compute queues. Only now AMD says its command processing logic consists of four ACEs instead of eight, with two Hardware Scheduler units in place for prioritized queues, temporal/spatial resource management and offloading CPU kernel mode driver scheduling tasks. These aren&#8217;t separate or new blocks per se, but rather an optional mode the existing pipelines can run in. Dave Nalasco, senior technology manager for graphics at AMD, helps clarify their purpose:
\
"The HWS (Hardware Workgroup/Wavefront Schedulers) are essentially ACE pipelines that are configured without dispatch controllers. Their job is to offload the CPU by handling the scheduling of user/driver queues on the available hardware queue slots. They are microcode-programmable processors that can implement a variety of scheduling policies. We used them to implement the Quick Response Queue and CU Reservation features in Polaris, and we were able to port those changes to third-generation GCN products with driver updates."

Quick Response Queues allow developers to prioritize certain tasks running asynchronously without preempting other processes entirely. In case you missed Dave's blog post on this feature, you can check it out here. In short, though, flexibility is the point AMD wants to drive home. Its architecture allows multiple approaches to improving utilization and minimizing latency, both of which are immensely important in applications like VR.

https://community.amd.com/community/gaming/blog/2016/03/28/asynchronous-shaders-evolved

Quick Response Queue

Today&#8217;s graphics renderers provide many opportunities to take advantage of asynchronous processing, but for some applications the lack of determinism in terms of when certain tasks are executed could diminish the benefits. In these cases the renderer needs to know that a given task will be able to start and complete within a certain time frame.

In order to meet this requirement, time-critical tasks must be given higher priority access to processing resources than other tasks. One way to accomplish this is using pre-emption, which works by temporarily suspending other tasks until a designated task can be completed. However the effectiveness of this approach depends on when and how quickly an in-process task can be interrupted; task switching overhead or other delays can impact responsiveness, and potentially manifest as stuttering or lag in graphics applications.

To address this problem, we have introduced the idea of a quick response queue. Tasks submitted into this special queue get preferential access to GPU resources while running asynchronously, so they can overlap with other workloads. Because the Asynchronous Compute Engines in the GCN architecture are programmable and can manage resource scheduling in hardware, this feature can be enabled on existing GPUs (2nd generation GCN or later) with a driver update

Bonus quote for hope for the future

This is just one example of how providing more precise control over when individual tasks execute on GPUs can open the door to entirely new ways of exploiting the massive computational power they offer. We are already experimenting with other latency-sensitive applications that can take advantage of this, such as high fidelity positional audio rendering of virtual environments on the GPU. We&#8217;re also looking at providing more scheduling controls for asynchronous compute tasks in the future. And we can&#8217;t wait to see what developers do with this next!

Another bonus is me seeing this 3 years before it happened

Could Sony create fixed function pipelines for the PS4 even after release?

Me said:
I know this sound silly but it seems like it's exactly what Sony is planning to do with the 8 ACE's.

It's a few things that I have read over the last year or so that's leading me to believe this is what they are doing I'll try to go back & find all the quotes later but for now I have a question.

If Sony was to config the 64 command queues to make the pipelines emulate real fixed function pipelines could they work just as efficient as real fixed function hardware?

https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/...ed-function-pipelines-through-firmware.58209/

If someone can't afford $499 then they probably can't really afford $399 either. If you already have an OG PS4 the Neo is even more of a luxury item. And a luxury item is exactly what this is being positioned as.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
If someone can't afford $499 then probably can't really afford $399 either. If you already have an OG PS4 the Neo is even more of a luxury item.

Imagine if MS had used that argument at launch. Being expensive is being expensive for a mid generation upgrade that has limitations to what it can even do.

anothertech

Couldn't the CPU be up clocked as well. Also the rumor suggested that a stronger cpu was being considered.
That's kinda the whole argument, even significant up clocked, the CPU if still the Jag is just not sufficient for the 480 GPU.

On the other hand, if the CPU is indeed upgraded, the GPU could have the increased clock to push the system to the rumored 5.5tf level.

The entire argument here is if they had the time to make a significant CPU upgrade to make the GPU upclock possible.

The rumors state the GPU is literally just a down clocked 480gpu which is kinda a waste of the hardware. But no reason to up the GPU clock if the CPU isn't upgraded entirely.

I'm personally on #team5.5tf

c0de

You can always upclock. BUT (and this applies to upclocking in general): power usage doesn't scale linearly. This means that if you upclock by 10%, at some point it will drain more power than 10% which means:

- more heat -> better cooling concept needed
- bigger psu needed

geordiemp

That's kinda the whole argument, even significant up clocked, the CPU if still the Jag is just not sufficient for the 480 GPU.

I'm personally on #team5.5tf

I am on #TeamZEN - I dont really care if the GPU is 4.2, 4.5 or 5 TF really as long as the console gets a big CPU bump. Gimme 60 FPS at 1080p dammit....

IF it is a Zen 2.1 Ghz, then theoretically its almost 100 % improvement over jaguar.

I dont care about 4K30 gaming at all and yes I have a 55 inch panny 4K TV that I game on. Whats important is the system is balanced so we get high textures, great lods and shadows / details, and the console has a chance of getting to 60 FPS on titles if developers allow.

I think anything over 4 TF will be more than enough for VR or 1080p gaming, its all about doing that fast and efficiently and a CPU / bandwidth bump is sorely needed. The GPU bump is massive and more than enough.

If Scorpio is 6 TF you wont notice any difference at 1080p, differences will be down to frame rates and if there are CPU / Bandwidth bottlenecks imo.

Mohasus

I'm not sure, but I suspect 1080p on a 4k display would look nearly as clean as 1440p-on-4k, if not better, just because of the even scaling.

It doesn't.

Otherwise games last-gen would have been 540p instead of 720p.

I say this as a owner of a 1440p display that tried 720p for some titles and it was horrible.

geordiemp

It doesn't.

Otherwise games last-gen would have been 540p instead of 720p.

I say this as a owner of a 1440p display that tried 720p for some titles and it was horrible.

1080p on a 4K TV gets upscaled once by a dedicated hardware scaler built into 4K Tv's, many of which have good algorithms designed for 1080p as that is the main TV HD material input source. My Panny 4K tv looks fanstastic with 1080p material, better than my 1080p Sony W905.

Monitors are a different story....

Imagine if MS had used that argument at launch. Being expensive is being expensive for a mid generation upgrade that has limitations to what it can even do.

But this is different because there will be cheaper version plays all the same games that many of us already own. No one has to upgrade.

I do agree there is limit, but I don't think that limit is $399. To be fair the person I responded to didn't say what cost would be out of their price range. I went with $499 because that has discussed about as the upper limit Sony would be comfortable with.

I am on #TeamZEN - I dont really care if the GPU is 4.2, 4.5 or 5 TF really as long as the console gets a big CPU bump. Gimme 60 FPS at 1080p dammit....

IF it is a Zen 2.1 Ghz, then theoretically its almost 100 % improvement over jaguar.

I dont care about 4K30 gaming at all and yes I have a 55 inch panny 4K TV that I game on. Whats important is the system is balanced so we get high textures, great lods and shadows / details, and the console has a chance of getting to 60 FPS on titles if developers allow.

I think anything over 4 TF will be more than enough for VR or 1080p gaming, its all about doing that fast and efficiently and a CPU / bandwidth bump is sorely needed. The GPU bump is massive and more than enough.

If Scorpio is 6 TF you wont notice any difference at 1080p, differences will be down to frame rates and if there are CPU / Bandwidth bottlenecks imo.

What is this based on? There has been talk about the high-end desktop Zen chips but if Neo gets Zen it would be mobile/laptop cores and there is little to no info about them AFAIK. Even if Zen is 100% better than PS4 Jaguar, the Neo GPU is being bumped at least 130% (at 4.2TF) over PS4.

That isn't to say the improvements for IPC and clock speed over Jaguar won't be nice but the same apply to the GPU too and if anything the GPU-CPU balance will shift even more in favour of the GPU?

geordiemp

What is this based on? There has been talk about the high-end desktop Zen chips but if Neo gets Zen it would be mobile/laptop cores and there is little to no info about them AFAIK. Even if Zen is 100% better than PS4 Jaguar, the Neo GPU is being bumped at least 130% (at 4.2TF) over PS4.

That isn't to say the improvements for IPC and clock speed over Jaguar won't be nice but the same apply to the GPU too and if anything the GPU-CPU balance will shift even more in favour of the GPU?

Just the 1.7 rumoured IPC from the many desktop zen articles.....and the clock rumour to 2.1 Ghz . But your right, we know nothing......it is just a guess, but at least we are comparing mobile core Jag vs mobile core Zen....so you would hope there would sill be an IPC improvement.

Top Bottom