• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 Confirmed!

swerve

wazoo said:
I own both GC and Wii versions, and I like the Wii version more. It is a shame it did not get success at least on Wii.

No, you know what, I'm a huge fan of Nintendo and Jungle Beat (GC) is in my top five games of all time. I'm *glad* the wii version didn't see success because it'll teach them that hacking apart your beautiful scoring/lives/combo system and destroying your rewards/unlock structure is not acceptable.

But anyway, wow Mario Galaxy 2 looks great. I'm a little worried about some of the jerky motion in the videos but I'm hopeful that's the videos. Also, I don't like how yoshi's tongue sort of disappears when retracting from a very-long extension, but again I'm hopeful this is due to the lower framerate of youtube movies.

zigg

One thing I re-noticed on my 100% replay recently is that the starship has a very thorough elevator network.

There's hardly anything that's more than three or four long jumps or backflips away, provided at least that you do remember which elevator goes where.

I'll gladly take the G2 map, don't get me wrong, but it beats the hell out of 64 or Sunshine in this regard.

swerve said:
I'm a little worried about some of the jerky motion in the videos but I'm hopeful that's the videos.

It must be. I haven't seen all the videos, but I certainly don't remember any jerkiness.

Davey Cakes

wRATH2x said:
I actually liked the storybook.
So did I. I thought it was absolutely adorable, and I had no issue watching the entire thing at once. I don't see how people can complain about its inclusion, especially since it's completely optional and probably didn't even take much effort to implement.

Rash said:
So did I. I thought it was absolutely adorable, and I had no issue watching the entire thing at once. I don't see how people can complain about its inclusion, especially since it's completely optional and probably didn't even take much effort to implement.
Because even though it's optional, you still have to watch it at least once before you realize that it completely sucks.

Davey Cakes

Penguin said:
The newest video has been posted, just some Yoshi action, though its weird that he can grab things from behind him with his tongue.
People are talking about exploring the possibilities behind gravity and other new mechanics, but what about creating additional characteristics for old gameplay inclusions? Yoshi's tongue has always just gone straight in and out, but now it's being given a more dynamic nature. I welcome that.

wRATH2x

Banned
Rash said:
Yeah same here.

Nicktals

Banned
Okay seriously wtf happens at the end. I've watched it like 12 times and it looks kind of like they found a star launch pad, but without the star launch pad.

wRATH2x

Banned
Nicktals said:
Okay seriously wtf happens at the end. I've watched it like 12 times and it looks kind of like they found a star launch pad, but without the star launch pad.
Yoshi licking himself has opened the possibility's of gas propulsion.

teeny

Nicktals said:

I am a bit confused by that. With the music, it seems to me like the use of Yoshi, at least on that particular planetoid, is on a timer. So he might be just disappearing?

Odd

Platy

Nicktals said:

IT looks some kind of bonus stage .. in the end, the counter reached 0 and they teletransported back to wherever they were first

Yackie said:
Yoshi moves pretty fast. Looks fun! I still don't know why these videos are about 80% test pattern/static nothingness though.
Those are navigation buttons, you can go to the next or previous video in the series by clicking on them.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
A quick aside, does anyone else think that this whole scratchy, interpreting transmission, gritty thing seems really out of tone with Nintendo? Reminds me more of Valves Portal 2 setup, albeit on an infinitely smaller scale.

WillyFive

The_Technomancer said:
A quick aside, does anyone else think that this whole scratchy, interpreting transmission, gritty thing seems really out of tone with Nintendo? Reminds me more of Valves Portal 2 setup, albeit on an infinitely smaller scale.

Nintendo of America's new ad company is still toying around with how they should approach games, since they obviously aren't experienced in advertising games (and why they were most likely hired).

Gilby

swerve said:
No, you know what, I'm a huge fan of Nintendo and Jungle Beat (GC) is in my top five games of all time. I'm *glad* the wii version didn't see success because it'll teach them that hacking apart your beautiful scoring/lives/combo system and destroying your rewards/unlock structure is not acceptable.

WHAT!? I'm right there with you thinking Jungle Beat is a great game, I think that mechanically it's the best 2D platformer ever made (with the possible exception of Yoshi's Island). I haven't tried the Wii version because I don't have much cash and I already have it for the cube. I can't believe they screwed around with that absolutely beautiful combo system. AAaaaaaargh :'(

Lijik

The_Technomancer said:

It seems to be hitting a sweetspot between Nintendo's image, and the weirdass 90s american Nintendo ads

Gilby said:
WHAT!? I'm right there with you thinking Jungle Beat is a great game, I think that mechanically it's the best 2D platformer ever made (with the possible exception of Yoshi's Island). I haven't tried the Wii version because I don't have much cash and I already have it for the cube. I can't believe they screwed around with that absolutely beautiful combo system. AAaaaaaargh :'(
I thought that JB was just okay, but I agree that the combo system was amazing. Made replaying levels to unlock new ones insanely addictive.

Amir0x

Banned
oh man we're only a few weeks away now.

I WANT DIBS ON SUPER MARIO GALAXY 2 thread!

If possible. I do. I want it. I don't remember if I promised it to anyone else but I WANT IT

but if I did promise it to someone else I won't do it. But I want it

Penguin

Amir0x said:

If possible. I do. I want it. I don't remember if I promised it to anyone else but I WANT IT

I wanted a hand at making an official thread for a game... though this isn't the one, too big of a game to shoulder.

Wonder if I can get Flingsmash.

Anyhow, less than 4 weeks to go.

Are you going to check out the NWS launch party if they have one?

Akai

The_Technomancer said:

You don't remember the early DS commercials?

GDGF

Soothsayer
The_Technomancer said:

I like it. Makes me want to Play It Loud or something.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Amir0x said:

It's yours. Do it.

I'm in no position to delegate who gets threads, but I'd like you to make it.

The_Technomancer said:
I think it's pretty cool, to be honest.

The disparity between it and the happy-go-lucky world of Mario make it kind of humorous.

Amir0x

Banned
Rash said:
Whoever does get the thread better come up with a good name for it.

We should buck the trend and just be "The Official Super Mario Galaxy 2 Thread".

Super Mario Galaxy is so amazing it doesn't NEED fancy names. It just is.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Gilby said:

The combo system is still there, they just don't use bananas as health any more during normal levels. Also: you can't collect multiple bananas while on the ground, or hanging from a squirrel/bird. These changes have nothing to do with the control change, though, they were purely for mechanical reasons and accompanied myriad level design changes so they all work together. Jungle Beat Wii isn't the same game, but it's still a great game. If anything it's more difficult, since you only get three hits, not the shit-ton afforded by large banana scores.

You could make small arguments one way or the other for the two versions, but the only reason someone could claim the Wii one is wholly inferior in any capacity is if they placed a huge amount of value on the bongo interface. And that interface really was great, but you can't say Jungle Beat is crap without it without saying every other game is crap for not being bongo-controlled. It's still perfectly great.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The Official Super Mario Galaxy 2 Thread of Polishing Diamonds

WillyFive

Amir0x said:

DARN IT! I wanted to do it.

Who should do it Gaf?

Amir0x, me, or Penguin?

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Most of my fondest gaming memories are associated with Christmas morning because A. That's when I got the bulk of my video games when I was a kid and B. Usually all the good games come out around Christmas.

But when I bought Super Mario Galaxy over Thanksgiving Break 2007, that was my fricken Christmas. Hell, I don't even remember what I got for that Christmas. All I remember from that year is playing SMG with Thanksgiving meal leftovers. Christmas had come early, and it was wonderful. :D

And unless LOZ Wii or something really amazing is released this Christmas, I imagine this year will be the same.

So I vote for:

The Official Super Mario Galaxy 2 Thread of Christmas Coming Early This Year!

Top Bottom