• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

neoism

242d3tc_th.jpg

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
GhaleonEB said:
This response confused the hell out of me. :lol

I thought I understood how the ratings worked, but nope.

Also depends on the day in which you receive your Rating. Odd days are weighted with a .98 multiplier unless they fall on a weekend. Then it's .99. Of course, that's not taking into account time zones.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
urk said:
Also depends on the day in which you receive your Rating. Odd days are weighted with a .98 multiplier unless they fall on a weekend. Then it's .99. Of course, that's not taking into account time zones.

:lol

Somnia

I played a ton of Halo 1 and 2, but never got into Halo 3 for some reason or another, but jesus I'm hyped for Reach. I can see myself being sucked right back into the online world of Halo...this could be bad!

LukeSmith

GhaleonEB said:
This response confused the hell out of me. I thought I understood how the ratings worked, but nope. :lol

My question was, can you improve your Divisional standing by having better and better Daily Ratings over the course of the Season. Both you and Luke have given answers that you can move down ranks via population shifts - I'm awesome, but 10,000 awesomer people come in. My question is, after being placed in a division, can I move up from there during the season by getting higher daily ratings?

In theory, yes. But keep in mind that your Daily Rating is the result of your X best games for a given day.

Let's use a really extreme example.
Day 1: For 3 games you are unstoppable and your Day Rating is a 1700. The next three games you are terrible and score a 500. Your Day Rating doesn't change, it's still a 1700, however, those 500s you posted? Those are submitted to Trueskill just like your 1700s were.

Part of the Day Rating's appeal is that it doesn't go down, that said, when you lay an egg, we still submit that to Trueskill. If you repeat this performance for N days - where N is the number of days that require you to be placed in a division, you'd end up seeing Daily Ratings of 1700 (which means you played three really good games), but your Division may be Steel.

Smokey

LukeSmith said:
In theory, yes. But keep in mind that your Daily Rating is the result of your X best games for a given day.

Day 1: For 3 games you are unstoppable and your Day Rating is a 1700. The next three games you are terrible and score a 500. Your Day Rating doesn't change, it's still a 1700, however, those 500s you posted? Those are submitted to Trueskill just like your 1700s were.

Part of the Day Rating's appeal is that it doesn't go down, that said, when you lay an egg, we still submit that to Trueskill. If you repeat this performance for N days - where N is the number of days that require you to be placed in a division, you'd end up seeing Daily Ratings of 1700 (which means you played three really good games), but your Division may be Steel.

How long do Arena seasons last?

GhaleonEB

LukeSmith said:

I appreciate the response, but that didn't quite get at what I was asking.

Let's say I play three games on each of three consecutive days; the exact minimum to qualify for a Division.

At this point, do I see what Division I'm in? Or do I have to wait until the end of the Season to see what Division I'm in?

And if I CAN see what Division I'm in after those three days, can I move up by improving relative to both my first nine games, and relative to the population?
Smokey said:
How long do Arena seasons last?
A calendar month, or the in the case of the Beta ("Preseason"), the duration of the Beta.

So these people that are downloading the beta now can play, there just aren't very many people online to play with.

Is that correct?

If so that is insane, getting the beta more then a full day before the rest of F&F...

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
LukeSmith said:

Makes sense, I am really looking forward to the Arena now. I actually like it a lot over just numeric levels, I am not going to be so concerned about loosing a level over quiters, lag or really just my poor play and it taking forever to get that level back.

LukeSmith

GhaleonEB said:
At this point, do I see what Division I'm in? Or do I have to wait until the end of the Season to see what Division I'm in?

And if I CAN see what Division I'm in after those three days, can I move up by improving relative to both my first nine games, and relative to the population?

A calendar month, or the in the case of the Beta ("Preseason"), the duration of the Beta.

You'll see then, and you will be able to move between divisions and when it happens you'll see the icon next to your name change. We saw people drop from Gold to Bronze and people jump from Bronze to Gold during the internal alpha and beta.

It's entirely possible that when Kylej thinks he's Onyx three days in, brags about it here and then goes and generates high DPM in Grab Bag for the rest of the preseason that he comes back and is lower.

wwm0nkey

Devin Olsen said:
So these people that are downloading the beta now can play, there just aren't very many people online to play with.

Is that correct?

If so that is insane, getting the beta more then a full day before the rest of F&F...
How are they downloading it? I really dont get it.

Smokey

Guess I'm confused on the overall workings of Arena. Kind of important for me to know since 95% of my ranked matches in H3 were Lone Wolf.

So there's 3-4 different classes right? Say I play 17 games one day. At the end of each match you get a rating right? Your highest rating for that day is your Daily Ranking. If you have a couple shitty games that also goes into your TrueSkill. Is this right?

So how often can move up in classes? I'm confused.

Luke help :(

LukeSmith

Smokey said:
Guess I'm confused on the overall workings of Arena. Kind of important for me to know since 95% of my ranked matches in H3 were Lone Wolf.

So there's 3-4 different classes right? Say I play 17 games one day. At the end of each match you get a rating right? Your highest rating for that day is your Daily Ranking. If you have a couple shitty games that also goes into your TrueSkill. Is this right?

So how often can move up in classes? I'm confused.

Luke help :(

Here it is in short:
5 Divisions (Steel, Bronze, Silver, Gold, Onyx).
In order to place in a Division you need earn a Day Rating for N days during the season.
Your Day Rating is the result of your X best games in a given day.
Every game counts.
Individual performance counts.
So does Winning.

Once you've received N Day Ratings, you'll see your Provisional Division.

That Division can change - and very well may - based on the rest of the population and where you fall within it.

At the end of the Season you'll get your Final Divison.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i wish you guys were a bit more transparent about the F&F stuff. it would be nice to know, for example, if i should put off working and f5 various websites to win random drawings tomorrow. or so that i knew when to stick around in the halo gaf megathreads looking for clues on how to get my e-vite.

Kapura

Banned
LukeSmith said:
Here it is in short:
In order to place in a Division you need earn a Day Rating for N days during the season.
Every game counts.
So does Winning.

That Division can change - and very well may - based on the rest of the population and where you fall within it.

So, for the beta, might it be better to play a lot of non-arena for a week or more before getting your division so that when you do enter the arena you'll play better than those who got ranks early?

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
op_ivy said:
i wish you guys were a bit more transparent about the F&F stuff. it would be nice to know, for example, if i should put off working and f5 various websites to win random drawings tomorrow. or so that i knew when to stick around in the halo gaf megathreads looking for clues on how to get my e-vite.

I wouldn't put off work for something that I have a slim chance of getting. Especially if I don't get it, it just means I have to wait a weekend.

kylej

Banned
LukeSmith said:
It's entirely possible that when Kylej thinks he's Onyx three days in, brags about it here and then goes and generates high DPM in Grab Bag for the rest of the preseason that he comes back and is lower.

Is it too late in the development process to rename Grab Bag "Daxville"?

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
LukeSmith said:
Here it is in short:
Every game counts.
So does Winning.

N isn't a number, dummy.

Not a Jellyfish said:
I wouldn't put off work for something that I have a slim chance of getting. Especially if I don't get it, it just means I have to wait a weekend.
I hope a bunch of HaloGAF duders get in, and if I don't get ini hope you guys make plenty of videos.:lol

LukeSmith

Kapura said:
So, for the beta, might it be better to play a lot of non-arena for a week or more before getting your division so that when you do enter the arena you'll play better than those who got ranks early?

Nope. The only thing to do is play and win.

So I'm clearly going to be organising for a flex day next Tuesday.

Anyone know the time it goes up with a counter for the rest of the world? I'm assuming we in AU get in on the 4th yeah?

Smokey

LukeSmith said:
Here it is in short:
Every game counts.
So does Winning.

Ah ok, I gotcha.

NOKYARD

LukeSmith said:
So, my dog played on my account for the first week of the season while i was away in Tunisia's Tunis Sports City laying All-Weather Interlocking Tile Tennis Courts (and you thought i only built Grifball courts).

He landed in the bottom 2% of the 'Rust Division'.

Will i be able to get myself back into the upper echelons of the 'Onyx Division' during the second week of the season?

Hey Luke, props to you and whoever else came up with the arena concept. I love the idea of being ranked over multiple games and having a "baseball card" of season stats.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
So, if I want to get and maintain an Onyx Division all the way to the final day of the season, I've got to put up daily ratings that are above a certain amount of the population on a consistent basis. With the numbers like how many games per day and how many daily ratings needed to get placed into a division TBD.

Is that right?

Just how important is winning the match when determining my rating?

This is more confusing than I had originally anticipated :/

GhaleonEB

LukeSmith said:
You'll see then, and you will be able to move between divisions and when it happens you'll see the icon next to your name change. We saw people drop from Gold to Bronze and people jump from Bronze to Gold during the internal alpha and beta.

Perfect, thanks.
Grimm Fandango said:
Ew sugarfree.
Dan's trying to shed a few pounds, so good for him. I switched to diet a few years ago and dropped 10 pounds in a month.

Top Bottom