• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamexplain @ SDCC | Paper Mario: Color Splash - 10 minutes of Dark Bloo Inn

MrBadger

The most interesting takeaway for me was that Mario jumped on the boring generic mouse enemy and it died without cutting to a battle screen. So finishing battles in the overworld is a thing.

TI82

Banned
Oh, I didn't take it as combative. And hey, for the people who like these games, I'm cool with that.

I just need to vent about them (the games) because it's like Nintendo gave it their best effort to create the exact opposite of what I want. It's bordering on caricature or parody at this point with the Metroid and Paper Mario franchises.

Welcome to a lot of our frustration with Nintendo (and miyamoto in particular). It's sadly been like this for a while now.

21XX

Banned
I'm...I'm loving what I'm seeing actually. That looks great so far.

Looks like they posted the title screen too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfQY6O0Buc8

Edit: Omg that dancing pig at the end!

"I'm...I'm loving what I'm seeing actually."

This and "tbh" are the most overused and pointless constructions used on this site. They're meaningless in 90% of the posts I see them in.

The game looks fine. The toad thing is dumb, but it looks like it's going to be a pretty ok, if not great, game.

This and "tbh" are the most overused and pointless constructions used on this site. They're meaningless in 90% of the posts I see them in.

Like your post is any better? At least mine is on topic

And I don't even understand what your problem is. I didn't like what I saw before, but I like what I see now. And I dressed that up in a slightly fanciful way to evoke my thought process on the matter. So, what?

The most interesting takeaway for me was that Mario jumped on the boring generic mouse enemy and it died without cutting to a battle screen. So finishing battles in the overworld is a thing.

In the RPG Paper Mario games, there are badges that allow you to defeat weaker enemies without battling.

Lol at "boring generic mouse enemy".

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
"I'm...I'm loving what I'm seeing actually."

The game looks fine. The toad thing is dumb, but it looks like it's going to be a pretty ok, if not great, game.

It will turn out exactly like Paper Jam, a hurriedly cobbled together entry that heavily re-uses assets and ideas but still results in a decent game.

I think people are being really hard on this game. I mean, I'm as devastated at the loss of more unique characters as anyone. I didn't even like the visuals at first. It looked too artificial and Tearaway-esque for my tastes. I miss the bustling, distinct feel of Rogueport with all of the interesting alleys and characters.

However, I think I'm warming up to the game. This setting looks way more interesting than the rather boring plain area. I'm still upset at the whole Toad thing, but the battle system seems to be an improvement from Sticker Star, and the dialogue is still familiarly humorous. I don't think it's as much of a bastardization of Paper Mario as the consensus would lead one to believe. However, at the same time I have to wonder why they just don't do the kind of Paper Mario fans have been asking for. And I'm usually the kind of guy that wants developers to do what they want and not listen to fan suggestions so much.

MrBadger

In the RPG Paper Mario games, there are badges that allow you to defeat weaker enemies without battling.

Lol at "boring generic mouse enemy".

Oh yeah. It's been a bit of a while since I played Paper Mario. Did Sticker Star have this too? I never bothered to finish it

Anarky

Banned
I think this will be better than Paper Jam,Sticker Star and Dream Team at least. Still want a TTYD style Paper Mario on the NX though.

Edit: Wait I just realized they had a haunted mansion and not only didn't use any Boos(my fav Mario enemy) but just had one ghost Toad. Wtf.

What a fascinatingly pretty piece of shit.

I look forward to hearing all about this game's graphics and its amazing cast of Toads when it comes out.

Joqu

They just need to bring back the original characters and I'm good, other than that it looked pretty nice. Maybe next game

Pizza

This game is like, ALMOST there for me.

The dialogue is pretty good, the battles seem... Fine? But there's two mouse encounters outside that boss that you can avoid and that's pretty much it. No boos or other ghosts, and a blue-tinted toad copy pasta as the one not alive-toad friendly character you meet.

The overworld is sort of weird as a thing too, I'm assuming there's next to no backtracking or revisiting areas? That's a broad assumption but idk, using an overworld level format seems meh for backtracking

It feels like they were on track to make something really unique and then just sort of... Stopped with the uniqueness. Sure we'll have good dialogue, but they're all toads. Sure we'll make halfway decent battles, but there won't be a lot of them. Sure we'll use the paint mechanic, but it's limited to certain spots here and there.

Maybe it'll get better as the game goes on? But this seems like it'll fall just short of something I'd be into.

Calm Mind

As with Federation Force haters, Color Splash haters are trying too hard and embarrassing themselves in the process. We get it. You don't like thing yet find every excuse to wind up in a thread for said game reminding people of the fact and spoiling everyone else's enjoyment.

Mory Dunz

I wonder where all the people saying that we didn't know there were only toads are now.

It's shit yo.

We pretty much had this game pegged from day one, in all aspects.

"It'll probably have good music, jokes/writing, presentation. But the battle system looks nonexistent, no partners again, light story, No original NPCs, no EXP or Badges, and gimmicky one hit kill cards like that dumb fan."
...yup

"It'll probably have good music, jokes/writing, presentation. But the battle system looks nonexistent, no partners again, light story, No original NPCs, no EXP or Badges, and gimmicky one hit kill cards like that dumb fan."
...yup
Nice build up to a Sledge Brother battle, and Mario ends it in a single turn, but the attack I guess looked funny, so that's okay.

As with Federation Force haters, Color Splash haters are trying too hard and embarrassing themselves in the process. We get it. You don't like thing yet find every excuse to wind up in a thread for said game reminding people of the fact and spoiling everyone else's enjoyment.
Don't forget the people coming in to complain about the complainers, they always add a ton to the discussion too.

Without the negativity these Paper Mario topics tend to die pretty fast.

Calm Mind

Nice build up to a Sledge Brother battle, and Mario ends it in a single turn, but the attack I guess looked funny, so that's okay.

Don't forget the people coming in to complain about the complainers, they always add a ton to the discussion too.

I rather a thread die hard and fast then languish from stupidity.

Kthulhu

Visually, the game looks good. Hopefully Nintendo will use what they learn here to make a more traditional Paper Mario game in the future.

javadoze

I'm actually liking what I'm seeing from the gameplay shown here moreso than the E3 footage. Instead of aimless wandering, it feels like an episodic scenario you would find in a point-and-click adventure game. Certain bits like Luigi's voicemail and the breakdancing piggybank also got a good chuckle out of me.

PK Gaming

It would be better if the character designs were a bit more varied

Like at the end where you meet up with a bunch of enemies; with the exception of the boss, they all have generic designs

And less toads (though i'm preaching to the choir)

jnWake

Sounds good, thread police, though my statement was intending to point out the fact that outside of the people who are down on it not many people seem to care.
Or they don't care to post because all these threads are full of the same people whining over and over again.

Where are the Boos though, seriously.

Or they don't care to post because all these threads are full of the same people whining over and over again.
I guess, but that's on them. This isn't a forum only for those who have positive opinions any more than its a forum only for those who have negative. I generally feel that games with a positive enough perception will drown out the negative of their own volition.

Puruzi

Banned

...yup

Lots of people in the first thread told me that there was no way for me to know there were only toads in the game.

TI82

Banned

Seriously, what's to be excited about here? Have you played the first 2 games?

RagnarokX

The Toads are at least wearing outfits. It's a shame they aren't all unique snowflakes like Toads in Thousand Year Door.

duEdxYm.jpg

And of course although we haven't seen hardly any enemies yet, it's a shame we haven't seen a single unique enemy at all.

I mean sure we've seen slurp guys:
nhAylYf.png

and this shady sledge bro:
xHx99z9.jpg

But those are just regular old Mario enemies wearing different things.

TTYD only had unique enemies like goomba with hat and koopa with glasses.
ETtBIhF.png
URJ1oUh.png

Considering that Mario was killing enemies outside of battle by jumping on them he seems to have been overpowered in this demo. Usually the enemies in an area don't do that the first time you go through. Plus Mario used a thing, which is a super powerful attack that you can't do again until you find the thing again.

I love your cherry picker, Ragnarok, you should hire it out.

Comparing the one instance of TTYD where a bunch of similar looking Toads are crowded together to a game where very nearly every single non-combatant NPC we've seen in every single location is a red Toad--that's A-tier level cherry picking.

NotLiquid

I actually found the footage charming and funny, which is a lot more than what can be said about Sticker Star.

Damn. Maybe I'm having second thoughts about this game after all.

RagnarokX

I love your cherry picker, Ragnarok, you should hire it out.
No cherry picking. The really unique enemies in TTYD were the exception, not the rule. And enemies like slurp guys and shady sledge bro are the kind of norm for Paper Mario. Regular Mario enemies with special features.

There are generic toads in other places, too. Most male toads are just the same toad but with different colored hats at best. You get a few really unique ones like the movie star one.

But most generic NPC toads just have a different outfit and hat color:
V3YTPeB.jpg

aii0UPm.jpg

While some lucky ones get a different hat:
uKU4NDq.png

In this footage we got Toads in hotel uniforms.
zaIRVHX.jpg

Mory Dunz

What can we say? New bad stuff gets shown, new bad stuff gets called out for being bad.

Today's exhibit: Dark Bloo Inn

The good: Atmosphere/Graphics, Music, Writing, as usual
The new bad: Another gimmicky battle item.
- Only toads edit: oops
- Simple...bad puzzle solving if it can be called that
- Lack of standout NPCs again (usually each chapter had 1 or 2 in the old games)
- enemy variety and originality (but this isn't "new" bad)

It's funny when people who complain against CS are painted as just "hating" when we provide more substantive arguments by far. I mean, just look in any thread.

MrBadger

No cherry picking. The really unique enemies in TTYD were the exception, not the rule. And enemies like slurp guys and shady sledge bro are the kind of norm for Paper Mario. Regular Mario enemies with special features.

You can argue about whether or not it matters a whole lot, but you seriously can't argue that this game's cast of characters isn't more conservative than Paper Mario and TTYD's. It just is.

bman94

"We just wanted to differentiate Paper Mario from M&L."

1) Nobody asked you to do that.

2) If you're going to do that, just take battles out of PM. They're a fucking waste of time as is and you'd be better off making all of the gameplay action/puzzle platforming.

3) You can differentiate PM from M&L by making PM an action/puzzle platformer without removing the soul of PM.

4) Nobody asked you to fuckin do it.

lol

There are generic toads in other places, too. Most male toads are just the same toad but with different colored hats at best. You get a few really unique ones like the movie star one.
And do you know what the game had in between the NPC Toads (which yes, as boring as many of them were, they were still more varied than Color Splash's)? Other creatures as NPCs. Goombas, dog people, Koopas, Boos, Lakitus, Bob-ombs, Clefts, Piantas, and even a bean person, all with their own varied designs as well.

Enemies as well, a lot of them were just modified Mario enemies, but that still doesn't change the fact that a a lot of them were. A lot of varied designs of old classics on top of genuinely new enemies and creatures, something that Color Splash certainly doesn't seem to stack up to and I would bet a ton of money won't even come close to in the final product, if I were a betting man.

You can argue that you think Color Splash's variety is fine to you, but arguing that it's in any way comparable to TTYD is just being willfully obtuse.

TI82

Banned
The bandit, swooper, fuzzy, and daisy are all Mario enemies.

Dang, you are right. Swooper and Fuzzy I forgot from SMW and I didn't like SMW2 so that explains why I didn't know them. That doesn't change much however since a lot are still original.

RagnarokX

And do you know what the game had in between the NPC Toads (which yes, as boring as many of them were, they were still more varied than Color Splash's)? Other creatures as NPCs. Goombas, dog people, Koopas, Boos, Lakitus, Bob-ombs, Clefts, Piantas, and even a bean person, all with their own varied designs as well.

You can argue that you think Color Splash's variety is fine to you, but arguing that it's in any way comparable to TTYD is just being willfully obtuse.

But my post is for people complaining that the game is nothing but generic stuff. Most of the enemies on that TTYD bestiary are recolors of Mario enemies or them wearing hats and stuff, which is what we are seeing in Color Splash.

maxcriden

They also posted Breakdancing Pig footage...!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ij0ZaHgFSg

I feel like that was in past game(s). Maybe even Sticker Star?

--

Oh, and IGN's video preview titled "Color Splash surprised us in a great way" --

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMFg7Xm_PQk

And Yoshiller's preview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZIRRRhsALU

The game looks pretty good, but it's dissapointing that all the original characters are gone. They added so much charm to the first games.

Top Bottom