• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Capcom Korea making Monster Hunter Frontier Online 2 (PC/PS4, UE4, 2016)

studyguy

Hopefully they atleast update the hitboxes for the 2nd release of Frontier.

Don't even mention old Plesioth man. Good lord.

QUErGQT.gif

Jawmuncher

I'm more surprised they want to bother with Frontier is that big enough for them?
Always took frontier as that MH game no one wants over there.

FirmBizBws

Becomes baffled, curling up into a ball when confronted with three controller options.
Unless I can solo quests, i'm not interested.

Theres enough low armor leeches on MH4U in high rank don't want to see what a mess it would be on the ps4

Takao

Banned
I'm more surprised they want to bother with Frontier is that big enough for them?
Always took frontier as that MH game no one wants over there.

They're been running Frontier for nearly 10 years now, so while I doubt it has a huge playerbase, it has to be doing some business for them.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
why is Capcom looking at PS4 as an "online only" platform?
I mean: Deep down, Dragons Dogma online and now this.
I'd prefer also the option to play offline/solo for those games.

Because that's how home console gaming has primarily been since 6-7 years so far...? Capcom is only adapting its offer for a market that is already more focused on online experiences.

Takao

Banned

Service games have the potential to make a lot of money over a much longer period of time than a traditional boxed title. We've seen Capcom do a lot experimental (for a console publisher, anyway) models over the last few years. Just look at Revelations 2.

duckroll

RE Revelations 2? Sengoku Basara 4? Street Fighter V? DMC4 SE? Not all their games are online only. If you're wondering why most of their new games are online only, it's because Capcom is more of a service-driven company now than ever. It's not just PS4. It's everything that supports it. Look at their mobile and PC output. For platforms which don't support extensive online services well, Capcom has mostly stopped supporting much.

studyguy

Unless I can solo quests, i'm not interested.

Theres enough low armor leeches on MH4U in high rank don't want to see what a mess it would be on the ps4

You can't do solo in MHFO for a number of monsters unless you are incredibly overgeared and are okay with spending 90% of your timelimit whittling away. The HP pools are made for group play unlike console MH. You can do it of course, but it's not what MHFO is built around at all.

On the upside, it has some incredibly difficult solo challenges as well if you're up to it.

Percy

Banned
RE Revelations 2? Sengoku Basara 4? Street Fighter V? DMC4 SE? Not all their games are online only. If you're wondering why most of their new games are online only, it's because Capcom is more of a service-driven company now than ever. It's not just PS4. It's everything that supports it. Look at their mobile and PC output. For platforms which don't support extensive online services well, Capcom has mostly stopped supporting much.

Could PS4 seemingly being a much more F2P friendly platform thus far be a factor in why Xbox One is being skipped for these games as well?

Ridley327

Could PS4 seemingly being a much more F2P friendly platform thus far be a factor in why Xbox One is being skipped for these games as well?

Amusingly, you can't play any f2p games on Xbox One without a Gold subscription, which I imagine makes a lot of those companies balk.

Jawmuncher

Amusingly, you can't play any f2p games on Xbox One without a Gold subscription, which I imagine makes a lot of those companies balk.

Not to mention XB1 doesn't support cross play betweeen different platforms If I recall. So if that ever becomes part of the equation you have a player base that can just dry up.

Alrus

I had read that MHO had more in common with the older hitboxes than the new ones, but that's a completely different company.

Afaik MHO is based on MHF for its animations and hitboxes, so yeah the hitboxes in that game will probably be terrible too if they didn't tweak them :/

duckroll

Nope. These games being targeted specifically for Japan is the reason why the XB1 is being skipped over. :p

Afaik MHO is based on MHF for its animations and hitboxes, so yeah the hitboxes in that game will probably be terrible too if they didn't tweak them :/

One would hope they would implement some of the newer mechanics and tweaks...
One would hope...

L Thammy

I didn't realize that Capcom Korea was a think that existed. What was their past work?

Regarding Frontier's quality, the work thing I've seen from it were the material requirements for forging/upgrading. I vaguely recall seeing a screenshot where a single piece of armour needed 99 ores. Grindtastic.

Eusis

I'm not sure if I'm sad about this. I have no love for Frontier. I really wish capcom would put MH proper on consoles. I would kill for the next MH on PS4. :(
If the NX rumors are true I'm guessing that will be as close as we get.

But fuck, that'd look way better while having an excuse to keep rocking those old models, textures, and animations, so hey!

sirap

Monster Hunter Online is actually amazing. Shame they added encryption in the latest patch, making any sort of translation patch impossible.

Pejo

Saw the thread, got super excited.

Saw the date, got super confused.

Saw the recent posts, got super depressed.

Why can't Capcpom just do the right thing and make a Non-MMO HD Console + PC monster hunter? There's still supposedly something unannounced that Capcom's sitting on with MH, besides stories, right? Or was this likely it?

trikster40

Man, I wish Monster Hunter would come back home to PS consoles at least. I LOVED MH 1&2, I played them sooooo much back in the day with my friends.

Gojeran

Whoa, I never said it was a concern. I just said it looks incredible.

It's a concern (graphics) to me. I don't think any one person can speak for all monster hunter fans. I for one would love a version that takes full advantage of powerful hardware and doesn't look like ass cancer ( high textures let those monsters and armor sets shine) and also doesn't cause hand cramps to play it. I was bummed recently when he 2.0 version of MHO became unpatchable due to the files now being encrypted. I didn't know MHF was such a bad game but hopeful this one if it comes to the west will be a success.

Ridley327

Saw the thread, got super excited.

Saw the date, got super confused.

Saw the recent posts, got super depressed.

Why can't Capcpom just do the right thing and make a Non-MMO HD Console + PC monster hunter? There's still supposedly something unannounced that Capcom's sitting on with MH, besides stories, right? Or was this likely it?

It's something else from Stories. The smart money is on it being MHXG/MHGU.

I wonder what wound up killing this project. MHO seems to be sticking to China for now, and there certainly hasn't been any movement on MHFO leaving Japan anytime soon.

Mephala

So if its 2 projects and the MH one got cancelled do we know what the other was? Could it have been Dragons Dogma Online?

Why can't Capcpom just do the right thing and make a Non-MMO HD Console + PC monster hunter?

They don't think it would sell well in Japan. Didn't on PS2 or WiiU.

You could argue that the PS2 was early in the life and the Wii U wasn't that popular, but I think really it's just a game that most people in Japan want to play on a handheld.

Although if NX is what is rumored lately, we may yet get HD monhun again.

Ridley327

I'm just hoping it runs on UE4 or they keep the assets (they also have the models from MH:Online)

They've been running on a stripped down version of MT Framework since MH3U. Even a simple bump to the full engine would do a world of good for the visual quality.

Top Bottom