• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom's Monster Hunter World/ Rise's paywalling the ability to re-edit your character's face is the most scummiest form of microtransaction.

levyjl1988

Banned
A feature already built into the game and Capcom is nickel and diming this shit.
Fucking disgusting.
It's sad to see Capcom fall to these lows. I expected it from Konami, but this is some dark shady practice.

n15t9HU.png

Where in 90% of games this feature is in the game. Leave it to Capcom to charge for this shit.
You have the freedom to re-dit characters like in Elden Ring and Cyber Punk 2077, but in Monster Hunter they charge for this shit.
This shit is on all platforms the games are available on.
PC you can mod this shit, but for other consoles you can't.
Fucking scummy.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Game companies do all kind of shady things. If it is rejected by the majority then they will remove it. If not then they will keep it. They are taking advantage of gamers goldfish memory.

Freeza93

Banned
1 is for free whats the issue. I used that free one once in hundreds of hours. Its not like you see much because armor. Babes you can make are great tho

levyjl1988

Banned
MTXs. baby. keep the industry afloat.

Before microtransactions were a thing we got great games like Halo 3.
Add in microtransactions and you have Halo Infinite, a less enjoyable experience with missing features that its predecessors had. I enjoy feature complete products without the bullshit or meddling or some business people.

Before microtransactions were a thing we got great games like Halo 3.
Add in microtransactions and you have Halo Infinite, a less enjoyable experience with missing features that its predecessors had. I enjoy feature complete products without the bullshit or meddling of some business people.
I am glad for you. I also dont like GaaS/MTXS. But the industry is not you or me.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
It's scummy, the character creator/editing is there to start the game so obviously it doesn't cost them anything to let you do it again (save for not even having the option for a redo due to some progression/saving fuck up they didn't consider or something) but I too never even used the free edits you get, your looks are your armor in MH. What I like less is having to be online to have accesss to all the content. In base Rise it was fixed I think but in Sunbreak you don't have all event quests and what not if you're not online, Master Rank is altogether omitted for some content categories.

I guess it also shows that later maybe more features will become paid though, like changing your armor colors or the whole layered armor/weapons system since all that is similar customization stuff to what they're asking money for and it too used to be free in previous games. That will suck.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I would never have known this as I never want to change my characters.

I guess that’s why the sims were so popular. Everyone wants to play dress up. Lol

A feature already built into the game and Capcom is nickel and diming this shit.
Fucking disgusting.
It's sad to see Capcom fall to these lows. I expected it from Konami, but this is some dark shady practice.
You know, it's hard for me to take snapshot things like this seriously, especially when a game like MH gives you like 500+ hours of content for $60. No, maybe it's not your favorite thing that you have to pay extra to reskin a character, but sheesh this is a bit hyperbolic.

If Capcom really wanted to nickel and dime you, they'd lock actual content behind a paywall, and that would be total bull. Like locking monsters behind microtransactions, or certain game modes. But, as it is, they're doing like 5 free title updates with tons of new content, and it's all free.

It's lame, for sure. But far from being anything close to "dark" or "shady".

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Whenever I start a game where you create your own character I'm always like "hmm, not sure I'm happy with this, hopefully I can edit it later", but then I always end up not giving a shit.

But yes, this is very scummy.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Character edit vouchers?

Man, if EA, Ubi Soft, or another western developer did this we’d have seen a massive uproar as well as Polygon articles, YouTube videos, etc.

Last edited:

Mowcno

Yeah... there is zero reason to charge someone to change their characters appearance. What a terrible practice.

Doesn't matter if you personally never want to change your character or that you can do it once for free, no one should be trying to shrug this off as not a problem.

anthony2690

Banned
Pretty lame, but I literally just choose defualt Hunter change the hair and forget what my character looks like as I'm pretty much always armoured up.

Maybe I'm in the minority but I don't really care for the whole character editing stuff.

I went through ME games with defualt Shepard etc.

I do think you should be able to edit your character freely though, as charging seems pretty weird imo.

Draugoth

Gold Member
It's pretty lame, that and the 300$ worth of DLC content.

I wanted to change my character name but im going to still have it named "My Ballz" despite investing 300 hours into the game because im not willing to pay 5$ just to change it

It's pretty lame, that and the 300$ worth of DLC content.

I wanted to change my character name but im going to still have it named "My Ballz" despite investing 300 hours into the game because im not willing to pay 5$ just to change it
Well the paid DLC is all cosmetic. The game has like 500+ hours of content, plus 5 free title updates with tons of new content coming out every 2 months. Not really seeing the issue.

Last edited:

Draugoth

Gold Member
Well the paid DLC is all cosmetic. The game has like 500+ hours of content, plus 5 free title updates with tons of new content coming out every 2 months. Not really seeing the issue.

After investing so much time, you get attached to your character

Last edited:
MHR didn't even launch with a proper ending, but they sure as fuck had a ton of paid DLC ready to sell!
Nonsense. they've done like 10 free title updates, and the free updates added quickly post-launch solve the issue you speak of from March 2021. This game has so much free content you could play for like 700 hours. The paid DLC is just ancillary cosmetic stuff for the small pool of people would might see value in spending real money on things that have no impact on gameplay or content.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
3 bucks isn't a micro transaction, it's 4.2% of the cost of a game for a minor, manual change. We need a better term to describe this type of bullshittery.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I mean, I think it’s better to charge for the option, rather than lock you in forever. I’d never pay for such a thing myself.

Seems like most games where you create a player, you’re stuck with that look.

Venom Snake

Half of the people on my friends list play the game and none of them have ever addressed this issue.

It always seemed a bit weird to me..

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
i really don't care about cosmetics in games.
PoE can get fucked. Any damn paid skin is fucking stupid and it just makes you feel empty inside.
The worst shit is when i get a deluxe edition because it came with extra dlc. future season passes etc. and i get extra currency or buffs so i have to play the game LESS.
I pay more to play a game LESS. Shit doesn't get any dumber then this. You paying activision money to skip steps in your battlepass. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Kusarigama

Pathetic on Capcom's part. I don't even play Monster Hunter but this is just malicious. If you are letting editable character creator then you don't put such edit vouchers(how unoriginal name). I hope they get their senses together and remove these. But we need strong negative response for them to do something 🤬

It's scummny but I don't really care that much. My hunter is always in full armor. I don't even see my hunter's face when eating cause I eat in the tent, not in the canteen.

Top Bottom