• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2016 - No Man's Sky will leave Mankind Divided

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonno394

Still have that unplayed since last years summer sale. I liked the demo, and it seems well regarded, but most people also seem to give the impression of the game being somewhat of a chore.

I have played for about 8 hours so far, and only yesterday did I finish a puzzle and think "I can't be arsed to do one more tonight". The puzzles are fun and there is a real sense of accomplishment when you come across one that perplexes you, but I definitely can see how some may find it repetitive or boring after a while.

Anteater

hipstersauy83.jpg

hipsters

Pixieking

Banned
Cannot wait for Mankind Divided! As hyped for it as I was for Dark Souls 3. Do we have any clue what's in the Season Pass, though?

kagamin

I'll probably wait for the complete version of Mankind Divided, it just seems like a better option for my wallet.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
jasec I see you're playing the witcher 3, are you planning to explore every corner of the map..?

I've done just that. I'm moments away from travelling to Toussaint; there's nothing for me to do in White Orchid/Velen/Novigrad.

Deus Ex, very nice.
The backlash against No Man's Sky is going to be intense, I fear. The game looks janky as fuck, I kind of want to buy it.
It totally will happen they way people overhype it. That goes for every overhyped game naturally. I'm excited for NMS.
Orange don't care.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BIieiFLg5Sy/

What a tease (someone linked this on the Play Anywhere thread)
JJ9tEKZ.png

Hm, hm. MCC or just straight putting the original Halo 2 PC port on WinStore?

Kifimbo

Looked at the sales of higher-profile games released in July and put them in a few subjective categories:

Great/Good
RimWorld - 176,002 ±10,761
INSIDE - 132,734 ±9,346
We Happy Few - 48,612 ±5,656
EARTH DEFENSE FORCE 4.1 The Shadow of New Despair - 48,094 ±5,626

Decent
I am Setsuna - 24,651 ±4,028
Megadimension Neptunia VII - 19,134 ±3,549
The Room Two - 11,377 ±2,736
Muv-Luv - 7,585 ±2,234

Bad/Bomba
Song of the Deep - 7,585 ±2,234
VIDEOBALL - 3,965 ±1,615
Chime Sharp - 2,069 ±1,167
Bad Rats Show - 1,896 ±1,117
Lovely Planet Arcade - 1,724 ±1,065
Ghostbusters - 1,379 ±952

May be too early to tell (but not looking great)
Headlander - 3,965 ± 1,615
Phantom Brave - 6,551 ±2,076
Ghost of a Tale - 6,206 ±2,021
Quadrilateral Cowboy - 6,723 ±2,103
Kingdom Rush Frontiers - 13,101 ±2,936
Riptide GP: Renegade - 1,041 ±1,018
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance - 2,758 ±1,347
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 2 - 2,758 ±1,347

jonno394

Hm, hm. MCC or just straight putting the original Halo 2 PC port on WinStore?

I would kill for the former. Always wanted to play the complete Halo series, but my xbox cosnole ownership has been limited at best. I'd even put up with having to buy from the Windows 10 store!

I've done just that. I'm moments away from travelling to Toussaint; there's nothing for me to do in White Orchid/Velen/Novigrad.

Skellige?
Or are you already starting Blood&Wine?

Deus EX will be another one for the pile of great games released this year that I don't have time for right now...
Now that I'm done with B&W I need to wrap up the jrpgs I'm playing on PS3&4.

Messiah

Looked at the sales of higher-profile games released in July and put them in a few subjective categories:

Great/Good
INSIDE - 132,734 ±9,346

Decent
Muv-Luv - 7,585 ±2,234

Bad/Bomba
VIDEOBALL - 3,965 ±1,615

EDF!! EDF!! EDF!!

Phantom Brave deserves to do better.

Bad Rats just doesn't work that well when there is so much other trash available on Steam nowadays,

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Skellige?
Or are you already starting Blood&Wine?

Oh, duh, Skellige, too. The very first thing I did there was loot all of the sunken treasure chests/smuggler caches. It took hours as there are dozens of them and the accelerate function in boats is nigh on completely broken, but I wanted to get most of the sailing out of the way as soon as possible.

Ludens

Banned
So, I started Suikoden 1 for the fourth time, I'm like two hours into the game and I just passed the point in which I dropped the game during the third time (when you receive the task to find a fortress), when the game exactly becomes interesting?
Because until now it's very boring to play, the plot is pretty much the same stuff you find in a lot of jrpgs, the combat system is nothing great (for now I'm level 19 with the main character, like 16 with others and what I do to win fights it's just attack with everyone, I have sharpened my weapons to level 5 and I don't even know how to find new weapons...there is no one selling them and I found none in chests I believe, while I keep find other defensive equipments, so I'm not sure how to increase my attack power, even if there's no need at the moment), a lot of backtracking for useless stuff (go here passing a mountain just to watch a two minutes cutscene, than go back where you started passing the mountain again...meanwhile, random encounters happen)... I know the "good" one is supposed to be Suikoden 1, but I can't play that without beating this one.

Uzzy

Idk the next few months feel fairly quiet to me :/

But most of what's coming out I want are indie/smaller titles that have no set date for this year still.

Apart from Deus Ex, Dishonored and South Park the AAA front is empty for me this fall (again).

Yeah, going down a few lists of forthcoming releases is a bit grim. Civ 6 might take up a big chunk of my time, but that art-style is really off putting, and it normally takes a few expansions for Civ games to get good anyway.

Oh, duh, Skellige, too. The very first thing I did there was loot all of the sunken treasure chests/smuggler caches. It took hours as there are dozens of them and the accelerate function in boats is nigh on completely broken, but I wanted to get most of the sailing out of the way as soon as possible.

Sailing is so nice and relaxing, just taking in the view and that beautiful music, good times.
Have fun in Toussaint, B&W is fantastic.
One of the paths even takes you to another location that might be my favorite part of the whole game.

Jawmuncher

I would think they'd port MCC. At this point it's not selling any Xboxes. Though I wonder if perhaps they'd separate the titles since they never fully fixed the matchmaking.

mp1990

Banned
So, I started Suikoden 1 for the fourth time, I'm like two hours into the game and I just passed the point in which I dropped the game during the third time (when you receive the task to find a fortress), when the game exactly becomes interesting?
Because until now it's very boring to play, the plot is pretty much the same stuff you find in a lot of jrpgs, the combat system is nothing great (for now I'm level 19 with the main character, like 16 with others and what I do to win fights it's just attack with everyone, I have sharpened my weapons to level 5 and I don't even know how to find new weapons...there is no one selling them and I found none in chests I believe, while I keep find other defensive equipments, so I'm not sure how to increase my attack power, even if there's no need at the moment), a lot of backtracking for useless stuff (go here passing a mountain just to watch a two minutes cutscene, than go back where you started passing the mountain again...meanwhile, random encounters happen)... I know the "good" one is supposed to be Suikoden 1, but I can't play that without beating this one.
Yeah I don't think the first Suikoden is known for being particularly interesting. It's pretty much your run of the mill JRPG and nothing else, with a terrific sequel (also, are you positive that you need to play this one first? IIRC the two games weren't linked, only some characters were transferred in case you had a save of the first game). I also tried it two years ago but couldn't keep up with the worn out formula.

EDIT: so, seems like I had things straight- the games aren't interconnected directly, they all take place in the same world but in different time frames, with some cameos thrown around here and there. If you want the "full" experience you should keep going through the first game, but if it is such a drag you might as well jump to the good one.

A few more titles that might be of interest this month.

The Great Whale Road:
This was a failed kickstarter that I had my eye on late last year, so I'm glad to see that the team managed to get the game out regardless. It's reminiscent of Banner Saga, in that you take charge of a clan and lead them through harsh environments and crises, with occasional combat taking place on a turn-based, hex map. It's a historical setting though, dark ages, seventh century AD though, and set in the North Sea. I look forward to pillaging Yorkshire!

This is the Police:
A story driven, management simulator, This is the Police sees you take the role of a classic, gritty police chief, 180 days away from retirement, who just wants some peace and quiet and a nice stack of bills. But the city, the mafia and the mayor won't let that happen without a fight. You'll have to investigate crimes, try and combat the mafia's maneuverings, answer questions at a press conference, hire and fire your police officers and somehow try to put $500,000 away for your retirement.

The Turing Test:
So this one could be really good. It's a first person puzzle game with a distinctly sci-fi theme, set on Europa. I hope it can deliver on the philosophical issues promised by it's title, exploring the nature of human and artificial consciousness while also being a good puzzler. It's certainly got the atmosphere down right, from what I can see in the trailer.

All these look great.

Batman tomorrow! Might wait for reviews instead of pre-ordering, hoping for a Tales from the Borderlands not a GoT!

Pixieking

Banned

Bad/Bomba

Disappointing, as it's a really good game if you're a fan of Tetris/Lumines style games :( The dev seems to be a great guy, and well into music (he arranges the Marioke karaoke nights). I nabbed an early-access key from his Twitter, so will raffle my Kickstarter key later today. It definitely deserves to sell decently, even if it doesn't set the world on fire.

Would have hoped for higher numbers for Headlander and Quadrilateral Cowboy.

Headlander is a game I know deserves more, and Quadrilateral Cowboy is something that looks to deserve much more. I guess that they're just to weird games for people, and that summer might not be the best time to launch games. Hope they have long tail sales instead.

Quantum Break on a $375 PC - PC vs Xbox One - Quantum Break Graphics Comparison

I must say, I'm very surprised to see such a budget PC with old tech manage to play one of the most technically advanced exclusives so well. Only downside being textures and streaming not being optimized for "only" 2GB of VRAM.
Pretty crazy to see amidst all the new super powerful PC hardware coming out constantly that an old i5-750 and a 760 still to this day manages to be a very solid and powerful for high-end PC gaming.

AHA-Lambda

Great/Good
INSIDE - 132,734 ±9,346

Decent
Muv-Luv - 7,585 ±2,234

Bad/Bomba
VIDEOBALL - 3,965 ±1,615

Any word on how Umineko has done?

I do wonder what the Rune Factory / Harvest Moon peeps are thinking about now that Stardew Valley has taken over the world.

My guess? They think the game is inferior in quality to theirs, that people only bought it because it was 15 bucks, and they wouldn't have bought a new HM/RF/SoS game with high production values for 50 bucks.

I doubt it would even enter their minds to do something like port Friends of Mineral Town to Steam and charge 10 bucks.

I think there should be a rule that we never ever EVER mention the Vita version of Little King's Story because it is NOT the version being ported to PC (the superior Wii version is the one being ported) and therefore, just like the Vita, is buried 6 feet under.

Jawmuncher

I think there should be a rule that we never ever EVER mention the Vita version of Little King's Story because it is NOT the version being ported to PC (the superior Wii version is the one being ported) and therefore, just like the Vita, is buried 6 feet under.

I liked the art style on that one though. Just that performance was gross.

Tizoc

The 2nd top selling game in japannlast week was a vita game
Dont really get all the vitorol against the vita, its good some good titles to play on if ur looking for gaming on the go, regardless of the alt options

I am a believer. SEGA must have noticed VC's "insane" success on PC.

We can always hope. The franchise has such a terrible performance in the west though. I wonder how it would do on PC.
I'll do my part and be there day 1 for Y0 as usual, a lot of the franchise's future in the west is riding on it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom