• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

“The GAF Collection” – Weekend Photoshop Thread

Pringo

Banned
It's nice to see this thread is still somewhat alive. I've updated the OP yet again with a bunch of the new covers and stuff I've missed. I also added a part about the contest Arc System Works of Europe is holding (this thread if any of you still don't know about it) and hopefully we can get some cool covers for that. Anyways, keep up the good work everyone. Your dedication to this has resulted in at least one official boxart being made, and hopefully even more in this style will come in time.

And KilgoreTrout, you still haven't posted your pictures of the covers you printed. >_> I'd still love to see them if you've got a photo.

sxi3ip.png

^ Funky :)

Incidentally, the templates site doesn't have one for the new PS3 box art yet. Has anyone made a proper to-scale black template for it yet?

Android18a said:
^ Funky :)

Incidentally, the templates site doesn't have one for the new PS3 box art yet. Has anyone made a proper to-scale black template for it yet?

I have. I'll post it tomorrow or something. I still need to take pictures and post the actual GAF Collection printed out. :lol

theluma

:mad: Just wasted ages of my life doing one of these before Photoshop crashed on me - lost everything.

Goddamnit to hell.

So I gave it a shot... it's been a really long time since I've used Photoshop, so nothing came out as I was hoping, but oh well. I haven't seen any Max Payne GAF collection boxes, so that's the one I tried:

64845496.jpg

Also, I realize Kane & Lynch isn't all that popular on Gaf, but I came across an old KL thing I did in Photoshop and turned it into a Collection box:

99880822.jpg

Wow, I'm baffled by the amount of sheer talent and creativity in this thread. Thoroughly enjoying almost every single entry. Keep 'em coming guys!

These threads remind me why I read GAF.

Forkball

I just found this thread. For the love of god, please make more, some of these are incredible. I do have a few tips though:

Put the name of the game on the cover. I know you're trying to be all minimalistic, but the name really helps it go from T-Shirt design to "wow, that could be an actual box art".

Also, putting the name of the director is a good idea. All the Criterion films do this (or at least they used to), and it makes the game seem really artistic. Most Criterion's have "Such Andsuch's Film" on the cover, and I think that format works really well.

I like it when people put the year of the game in the bar, that's a nice touch.

So here I was search for Criterion boxarts and what the fuck? I stumbled upon this awesomeness! What a brilliant thread! I wish most of these artworks were standard! These are what "Greatest Hits" boxart should look like! I'd fucking buy all of them at a heartbeat if I could...

*sigh* :(

KilgoreTrout said:
Haven't been in here a while, so I thought it was time I'd share something.

HIGH RES HERE

Those are awesome, man. Are you going to do re-do any of the covers you've done before to make them match, like DrAndonuts was doing? I'd really like MGS4 and LBP in particular. :p

akachan ningen said:
Those are awesome, man. Are you going to do re-do any of the covers you've done before to make them match, like DrAndonuts was doing? I'd really like MGS4 and LBP in particular. :p

Probably. That's why I just kinda used a minimalistic back for the cover. It will be easier for me to update them all. :D

Mattmerize

Neo Member
Don't want to wake up sleeping dogs, but these are two covers I made some time ago.

This one's for Brütal Legend.
Brutal_Legend_alt__cover_by_Mattmerize.jpg

And this one's for Assassin's Creed 2
Assassin__s_Creed_2_alt__cover_by_Mattmerize.jpg

Hope you like it, criticism is always appreciated. :)

mechanicalgrape

Neo Member
Hey guys, Alex P was nice enough to post the ones I made for Planescape, Metroid, Kid Icarus, and Parappa back on page 10 before my account was activated. Since I'm active now, here are a couple more I made.

cobratriangle.png

clucluland2.png

Le-mo

I'm not sure where to ask this question so I'm going to ask it here. Does anybody know the paper game companies use to make covers for games?

Willeth

Well, this thread popping up again made me want to do some but then loading up Photoshop on this slow-ass PC made me not want to. :lol So here's some Halo covers with a little less polish than I'd like.

1.jpg
2.jpg

3.jpg
o.jpg

All images were taken in Halo 3/ODST by me, with the exception of the Arbiter, which was taken by this dude in Halo 3.

Chittagong said:
Awesome. how did you do the smoke if you don't mind me askin?

Sorry, didn't see this till now. A lot of my work has stuff from www.lostandtaken.com
It's an amazing site that provides a lot of free high-res textures.

Here are the ones I used:
http://lostandtaken.com/blog/2008/11/24/four-silky-smooth-smoke-textures.html

I wish I could say it was a photoshop tutorial, but I can't ever get smoke to look right. I did some custom brushwork, but not a lot to get these to work.

Chittagong

Gold Member
KilgoreTrout said:
Sorry, didn't see this till now. A lot of my work has stuff from www.lostandtaken.com
It's an amazing site that provides a lot of free high-res textures.

Here are the ones I used:
http://lostandtaken.com/blog/2008/11/24/four-silky-smooth-smoke-textures.html

I wish I could say it was a photoshop tutorial, but I can't ever get smoke to look right. I did some custom brushwork, but not a lot to get these to work.

thanks. I have been so far using cgtextures.com, but this one looks really nice.

Rabbitwork said:
so i know i'm way late to this party, but i just discovered the thread the other day and had a lot of fun doing this one.

Nice work!

---

I'm working on some covers for Red Dead Redemption, and Super Mario Galaxy 2 right now. Should be up in a few days.

How did I not know this thread until now? Outstanding work all around. I wish actual game covers looked a bit more like those here. Album covers can be artsy too, why not game covers. (I also like the minimalism of the covers here, I hate all those logos)

Top Bottom